Do you tip in restaurants?

Options

Comments

• Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    Some people can be miserable gits all the same.

I always tip restaurant staff and my hairdresser, oh and the Postman too, at Christmas time, because he always leaves a note to say my parcel is next door (and vice versa), Is that a crime now?

It's only a small amount in the overall scheme of things really, and I'm lucky to be able to frequent such places.

The industries that don't have a tipping culture are well known and that's fine.

The only time I don't tip in a restaurant is where service charge is included.

Life is good, enjoy it!

It's not about being a miserable git. The tipping culture allows business owners to kept the wages artificially low - as it will be made up in tips.
    But it's a precarious way to pay your bills, relying on generous customers. If you are unlucky & get a run of non tippers, your bills will still need to be paid.
    6 weeks of the year you get leave & earn a pittance.
    If you are off sick, you can hardly get by.
    If you're really unfortunate & get something serious that requires a short stint off (cancer) you could face a few months of your wage being less than your bills. Exactly as happened to my mum years ago.
    It's an outdated concept. Pay people a proper wage & fix the meal price to cover all the business expenses.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 February 2017 at 12:22AM
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    It's not about being a miserable git. The tipping culture allows business owners to kept the wages artificially low - as it will be made up in tips.
    But it's a precarious way to pay your bills, relying on generous customers. If you are unlucky & get a run of non tippers, your bills will still need to be paid.
    6 weeks of the year you get leave & earn a pittance.
    If you are off sick, you can hardly get by.
    If you're really unfortunate & get something serious that requires a short stint off (cancer) you could face a few months of your wage being less than your bills. Exactly as happened to my mum years ago.
    It's an outdated concept. Pay people a proper wage & fix the meal price to cover all the business expenses.

Once upon a time maybe, but with minimum wage makes this argument redundant and a poor excuse to use for not tipping!.
    Tipping ... is a small reward for good service. Nothing more than that. I dont leave tips as a wage boost. If someone is banking on tips nowadays as part of income then they are living beyond means.
  • laurenh1
    Options
    I would say it's your own personal choice of you tip or don't. I would tip If the service was great but I don't always especially if I don't feel the service deserves it. And I don't think you should feel awful about it, or be pressured. There's a restaurant I won't go to because they add 15percent service charge and I don't like that at all because I feel It should be up to me if I tip and how much :)
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    svain wrote: »
    If someone is banking on tips nowadays as part of income then they are living beyond means.

That's really easy to say when you're not on minimum wage or a zero hours contract.
    My mother was not living beyond her means years ago when her cancer meant 3 months off work & her basic didn't cover her bills as a single parent raising 2 daughters.
    It's just that the basic was poor.
    I earn well over the mimimum wage, I wouldn't ever want to have to manage on it & I would never suggest people working on minimum wage are living beyond their means :-(
  • badgerhead
    Options
    Depends if I'm trying to big time it in front of the wife!

Nah it depends if it's just me and the missus having a quick lunch off the 2 for £15 quid or whatever I generally don't.

If my 3 little satans (kids) are being particularly annoying then yes I do, as an apology for mashed food under the table etc. If I go to some of the chains that offer me a discount I will always pass use that as a tip.

Big shout out to all the servers that time the "everything ok" question so that you don't have to do the nod, grunt thing with a face full of food!
  • latest_flame
    Options
    I tip in my current Pakistani restaurant.
    Business conditions dictate they have to offer a "deal", I dont believe it is fair to take advantage, so I leave what I think is a fair price.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Not in the UK since the minimum wage exists, unless you are suggesting waiters deserve to earn more than other workers earning the same basic level of pay, such as shop workers, fast food staff, cleaners, warehouse staff, etc.

I would prefer to leave a tip for whoever packed my Amazon parcel nicely, rather than someone simply carrying a plate from the kitchen to the table.
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    Not in the UK since the minimum wage exists, unless you are suggesting waiters deserve to earn more than other workers earning the same basic level of pay, such as shop workers, fast food staff, cleaners, warehouse staff, etc.

I would prefer to leave a tip for whoever packed my Amazon parcel nicely, rather than someone simply carrying a plate from the kitchen to the table.

In many circumstances I do think waiting staff should earn more than minimum wage. They are on their feet, running about, often carrying heavy loads, working unsociable hours & working harder in the holiday & festival seasons when others are celebrating & relaxing.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I've always been a supporter of tipping, but I must confess I hadn't thought about the implications of the new Living Wage. Once this gets up to £9 an hour, and with a personal allowance of £12,500, there really shouldn't be a need to tip in restaurants any longer.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In many circumstances I do think waiting staff should earn more than minimum wage. They are on their feet, running about, often carrying heavy loads, working unsociable hours & working harder in the holiday & festival seasons when others are celebrating & relaxing.

Presumably the local job market would dictate the wage. Different people like different types of work - some like office jobs where they can sit down yet others would hate an office job and would prefer a job where they are more active and constantly interacting with people. Plenty of minimum wage jobs are unsociable hours so that in itself would not justify a higher wage. Perhaps the minimum wage is not high enough?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback