Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benten69
    • By benten69 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    • 230Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    benten69
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants?
    • 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants? 29th Aug 16 at 8:59 AM
    Wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this, so admin, please move if needed.

Do you guys (and girls) tip when you go for a meal out? Personally I hate the idea, and it's even worse when you've got the waiter standing next to you as you select "No" on the card machine.

However, I always say that I don't get tips for doing anything extra and providing good levels of service in my job, so why should I pay others extra for a basic service their employers should be paying them for. In my previous role I saved the company £20,000 a day in penalties by delivering the project on time (a week early in fact), but I didn't get anything extra for it, because quite simply, it was my job.

Hence, I don't agree with tipping. They are doing a job & getting their hourly rate, so why do I need to subsidize it? Tesco don't tell me to pay extra if I go to a till vs going to the self checkout.

However, if there is a large group of us and say the bill comes out to £18 each, we'll all chuck in £20 and let the waiter / waitress keep the change. That's the only scenario it works in for me, as it saves everyone the hassle of finding change, waiting to get their change, etc.

What are peoples thoughts?
    SPC9 #408 - £200.39 | SPC10 #408 - £95.69
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #62 - 53% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: £161,250 | Oct '16: £157,050.37

Page 7
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 19th May 17, 3:50 PM
    • 5,323 Posts
    • 18,351 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    Also, I give my tip to the server, I don't agree with sharing tips amongst everyone.
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    So the waiter gets all the credit for the great tasting, timely delivery of your meal? No thought for the back room kitchen staff?
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 19th May 17, 8:06 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    wazza99
    Very rarely tip anyone, as most do nothing more than their job, i expect good service for free. We have the minimum wage in this country, so why single out waiting staff and leave out everyone else. I never feel guilty either, its a load of old tosh this tipping lark send it back over the pond where it belongs !!!
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 20th May 17, 6:48 PM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 1,927 Thanks
    glider3560
    I dread to think how expensive it all is now as I went in 2007 and 2008 where it was nearly $2 to the pound so it wasn't too bad. Now I dread to think what the cost of things like eating out are.
    Originally posted by dawyldthing
    It's absolutely ridiculous in Los Angeles (was there on a business trip last year).

In a chain restaurant (so nothing fancy), I ended up paying $50 for a meal. This was a nachos starter shared between six people, a main course (burger and sweet potato fries) and three beers, plus a tip. The main course was only $14. There was no price on the menu for any of the drinks (even the wine list had no prices) and we were expected to leave a minimum of 20% tip on the entire bill.

• prosaver
    • By prosaver 20th May 17, 6:52 PM
    • 6,457 Posts
    • 5,002 Thanks
    prosaver
    It's absolutely ridiculous in Los Angeles (was there on a business trip last year).

In a chain restaurant (so nothing fancy), I ended up paying $50 for a meal. This was a nachos starter shared between six people, a main course (burger and sweet potato fries) and three beers, plus a tip. The main course was only $14. There was no price on the menu for any of the drinks (even the wine list had no prices) and we were expected to leave a minimum of 20% tip on the entire bill.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    the biggest tip ,
    dont go there again and dont tip,
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 20th May 17, 6:58 PM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 1,927 Thanks
    glider3560
    the biggest tip ,
    dont go there again and dont tip,
    Originally posted by prosaver
    Very true! Unfortunately I was dining with colleagues who insist on leaving tips (even in the UK). They also don't like the idea of individual bills, for some crazy reason.

My employer pays a fixed daily amount for food (around £35 per day), so it is in my interest to spend as little as possible on business.

The other alternative was the hotel. They charge a $5 room service surcharge plus a 21.5% gratuity

At the hotel breakfast buffet on my first morning there, I didn't tip as there was no table service (I had to get my own cutlery as the tables weren't set, plus there was a tip jar next to the food for the chefs). The waiter came running over and exclaimed to everyone nearby (he'd even looked up my name): "Mr <name>, I notice you didn't leave a tip. It is a minimum of 15% here." He then crossed out my $0.00 on the check and inserted 15%. The whole lot was charged to my room bill without my consent. Totally disgraceful service. If the tip is compulsory, it should be advertised as such.

• prosaver
    • By prosaver 20th May 17, 7:46 PM
    • 6,457 Posts
    • 5,002 Thanks
    prosaver
    I heard on a cruise you have to tip even its all inclusive..?
    money grabbers
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 21st May 17, 12:07 AM
    • 6,457 Posts
    • 5,002 Thanks
    prosaver
    Here a tip,dont use dont use wash and go shampoo s
    Its not the same
    • adindas
    • By adindas 25th May 17, 6:57 PM
    • 3,136 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    adindas
    The other alternative was the hotel. They charge a $5 room service surcharge plus a 21.5% gratuity

At the hotel breakfast buffet on my first morning there, I didn't tip as there was no table service (I had to get my own cutlery as the tables weren't set, plus there was a tip jar next to the food for the chefs). The waiter came running over and exclaimed to everyone nearby (he'd even looked up my name): "Mr <name>, I notice you didn't leave a tip. It is a minimum of 15% here." He then crossed out my $0.00 on the check and inserted 15%. The whole lot was charged to my room bill without my consent. Totally disgraceful service. If the tip is compulsory, it should be advertised as such.
    Some restaurant indeed ask for service charge to be added into the final bill but this has been made clear from the beginning.

But if you know exactly that there is no requirement for service charge then you will need to complain.

When you said without your consent what do you mean, you know your room rate and you should get the detail breakdown and refuse any figure you do not recognize on the bill before paying with your credit card.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 25th May 17, 7:02 PM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 1,927 Thanks
    glider3560
    Some restaurant indeed ask for service charge to be added into the final bill but this has been made clear from the beginning.

But if you know exactly that there is no requirement for service charge then you will need to complain.

When you said without your consent what do you mean, you know your room rate and you should get the detail breakdown and refuse any figure you do not recognize on the bill before paying with your credit card.
    Originally posted by adindas
    The waiter walked away from my table and wrote something. The night before checking out, as is usual in the US, the bill was shoved under the door. This showed the higher amount.

I queried this at checking out and they produced the slip signed by me, but with the waiter having crossed out $0.00 and replaced it with 15%.

They profusely apologised and removed it from the bill. Next day, they charged it to my credit card anyway.

Only after writing on Trip Advisor was the amount refunded, along with some frequent flyer points as a goodwill gesture.

This isn't my only "incident" in the US at hotel breakfasts. I'm fed up with them now, even on business trips, so have vowed to eat out unless breakfast is included in the room rate (which it is on my next US trip).

• adindas
    • By adindas 25th May 17, 7:12 PM
    • 3,136 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    adindas
    The waiter walked away from my table and wrote something. The night before checking out, as is usual in the US, the bill was shoved under the door. This showed the higher amount.

I queried this at checking out and they produced the slip signed by me, but with the waiter having crossed out $0.00 and replaced it with 15%.

They profusely apologised and removed it from the bill. Next day, they charged it to my credit card anyway.

Only after writing on Trip Advisor was the amount refunded, along with some frequent flyer points as a goodwill gesture.

This isn't my only "incident" in the US at hotel breakfasts. I'm fed up with them now, even on business trips, so have vowed to eat out unless breakfast is included in the room rate (which it is on my next US trip).
    Well done this is what people supposed to do. I fully understand if it was a service charge. Few restaurants here in the UK and/or Europe indeed add the service charge on the final bill. But as said previously it is made clear from the beginning.

I have seen the game like this in the US a few times. Gratuity, tipping in the US is not uncommon and I could fully understand behind it because that is the way they top up their income. Unlike the waitresses here in the EU and most of Western EU countries who has a minimum wage, they got paid very little.

But demanding that you pay at least 15% even mentioning your name out loud in front of the people is not a good thing. I even would threaten to sue them and demand for for compensation for embarrassing you in front of the public. If it is a tip / gratuity it should be up to you to decide not them.
    Last edited by adindas; 25-05-2017 at 7:28 PM.
    • mikebramble
    • By mikebramble 6th Jun 17, 11:23 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    mikebramble
    Don't know why but I always tend to tip even though I don't necessarily believe in it. I wonder how much I have spent on tipping for only average service over the years. Do think adding a service charge should not be allowed. Everyone should be able to pay what they feel without being pressurise to do so.
    • stockton
    • By stockton 6th Jun 17, 12:24 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    stockton
    When I worked on cruise ships (light-years ago) there was a strong expectation that a passenger would tip certain people, like their table waiter or bed-room steward. They would have spent a week or two with those people, and got to know them quite well. I always thought the waiters deserved their tips because they had to battle their way around the galley in competition with all the other waiters. It was very stressful and tempers ran high.

In restaurants these days I find that you can have several different waiters, one taking your order, another delivering your main course and then another asking if you want a dessert. Some-one else hands you your bill. You do not build up a relationship with any single one and so there is no inclination to reward any particular one.

I always used to leave a tip (mainly because I did not want to appear "mean") but now I am reluctant to do so. What really annoys me is when I have left a tip and there has been no acknowledgement whatsoever. A simple thank you would suffice but it seems like they have not even noticed that I gave them the tip.

I am talking here about the UK of course. In other countries (like the US) it is a totally different ball-game.
    Last edited by stockton; 06-06-2017 at 1:30 PM.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 6th Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    • 1,964 Posts
    • 2,987 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Don't know why but I always tend to tip even though I don't necessarily believe in it. I wonder how much I have spent on tipping for only average service over the years. Do think adding a service charge should not be allowed. Everyone should be able to pay what they feel without being pressurise to do so.
    Originally posted by mikebramble
    I think any additional charges should be incorporated in the price of the food & drink.
    It's a restaurant, bill for the meal to include delivery to the table!
    • Lukoind
    • By Lukoind 14th Jun 17, 8:06 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Lukoind
    I tip only if received service were good .
    • bellanoisette
    • By bellanoisette 20th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    bellanoisette
    I think the tipping culture is unfair espeically when supermarket staff often do a lot more for you and it's not allowed. I don't get out these days and online grocery places have a tip as default, I leave it on because i worry about removing it but think they must earn over £12 an hour with these tips and some are very rude and I have tipped in advance. Tipping in restaurants is awkward, I remember when I used to go out I felt obligated even though I was on a very low wage and went out once a month on payday as a treat and felt obligated to leave a tip (10-15% of bill is he equivalent of my hourly wage). Even dominos hang around for a tip even though their drivers earn the same/more than me an hour and I am only buying it as a rare treat that will feed me for 2 days
    Last edited by bellanoisette; 20-06-2017 at 4:35 PM.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 20th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    • 7,551 Posts
    • 3,643 Thanks
    Stompa
    ... and online grocery places have a tip as default
    Originally posted by bellanoisette
    Do they? Admittedly I've not done an online grocery shop for several years, but I don't recall ever seeing a 'tip' option.
    Stompa
    • takman
    • By takman 20th Jun 17, 5:45 PM
    • 2,279 Posts
    • 1,893 Thanks
    takman
    I think the tipping culture is unfair espeically when supermarket staff often do a lot more for you and it's not allowed. I don't get out these days and online grocery places have a tip as default, I leave it on because i worry about removing it but think they must earn over £12 an hour with these tips and some are very rude and I have tipped in advance. Tipping in restaurants is awkward, I remember when I used to go out I felt obligated even though I was on a very low wage and went out once a month on payday as a treat and felt obligated to leave a tip (10-15% of bill is he equivalent of my hourly wage). Even dominos hang around for a tip even though their drivers earn the same/more than me an hour and I am only buying it as a rare treat that will feed me for 2 days
    Originally posted by bellanoisette
    I can't believe you are located in the UK, are you originally from the USA as you say "grocery places" and refer to "10-15%" tips.

Why would you tip when shopping online before you have even received the service?. I have never tipped a delivery driver and it is extremely rare that i tip in a restaurant and i have never felt obliged to do it.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 20th Jun 17, 5:53 PM
    • 1,855 Posts
    • 825 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    i dont believe in tipping, it seems to have come about as a result of serving staff been underpaid and expecting to make up low wages with tips.
    • Destabilising
    • By Destabilising 21st Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Destabilising
    I always tip if I go out for dinner, even if their service wasn't that great. I'm a firm believer in the fact that my waitress/waiter is pretty much the messenger, and 'don't shoot the messenger'. I'll never understand people that shout at the waiter/waitress about their food taking a long time when it's obviously not them cooking it.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 21st Jun 17, 2:10 PM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 1,927 Thanks
    glider3560
    I always tip if I go out for dinner, even if their service wasn't that great. I'm a firm believer in the fact that my waitress/waiter is pretty much the messenger, and 'don't shoot the messenger'. I'll never understand people that shout at the waiter/waitress about their food taking a long time when it's obviously not them cooking it.
    Originally posted by Destabilising
    But is your waiter/waitress not already getting paid to be the messenger? Why tip them but not the chef?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,390Posts Today

8,781Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin