Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benten69
    • By benten69 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    • 224Posts
    • 1,246Thanks
    benten69
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants?
    • 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants? 29th Aug 16 at 8:59 AM
    Wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this, so admin, please move if needed.

Do you guys (and girls) tip when you go for a meal out? Personally I hate the idea, and it's even worse when you've got the waiter standing next to you as you select "No" on the card machine.

However, I always say that I don't get tips for doing anything extra and providing good levels of service in my job, so why should I pay others extra for a basic service their employers should be paying them for. In my previous role I saved the company 20,000 a day in penalties by delivering the project on time (a week early in fact), but I didn't get anything extra for it, because quite simply, it was my job.

Hence, I don't agree with tipping. They are doing a job & getting their hourly rate, so why do I need to subsidize it? Tesco don't tell me to pay extra if I go to a till vs going to the self checkout.

However, if there is a large group of us and say the bill comes out to 18 each, we'll all chuck in 20 and let the waiter / waitress keep the change. That's the only scenario it works in for me, as it saves everyone the hassle of finding change, waiting to get their change, etc.

What are peoples thoughts?
    SPC9 #408 - 200.39 | SPC10 #408 - 95.69
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #62 - 53% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: 161,250 | Oct '16: 157,050.37

Page 7
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 19th May 17, 3:50 PM
    • 5,291 Posts
    • 17,994 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    Also, I give my tip to the server, I don't agree with sharing tips amongst everyone.
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    So the waiter gets all the credit for the great tasting, timely delivery of your meal? No thought for the back room kitchen staff?
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 19th May 17, 8:06 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    wazza99
    Very rarely tip anyone, as most do nothing more than their job, i expect good service for free. We have the minimum wage in this country, so why single out waiting staff and leave out everyone else. I never feel guilty either, its a load of old tosh this tipping lark send it back over the pond where it belongs !!!
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 20th May 17, 6:48 PM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 1,915 Thanks
    glider3560
    I dread to think how expensive it all is now as I went in 2007 and 2008 where it was nearly $2 to the pound so it wasn't too bad. Now I dread to think what the cost of things like eating out are.
    Originally posted by dawyldthing
    It's absolutely ridiculous in Los Angeles (was there on a business trip last year).

In a chain restaurant (so nothing fancy), I ended up paying $50 for a meal. This was a nachos starter shared between six people, a main course (burger and sweet potato fries) and three beers, plus a tip. The main course was only $14. There was no price on the menu for any of the drinks (even the wine list had no prices) and we were expected to leave a minimum of 20% tip on the entire bill.

• prosaver
    • By prosaver 20th May 17, 6:52 PM
    • 6,310 Posts
    • 4,880 Thanks
    prosaver
    It's absolutely ridiculous in Los Angeles (was there on a business trip last year).

In a chain restaurant (so nothing fancy), I ended up paying $50 for a meal. This was a nachos starter shared between six people, a main course (burger and sweet potato fries) and three beers, plus a tip. The main course was only $14. There was no price on the menu for any of the drinks (even the wine list had no prices) and we were expected to leave a minimum of 20% tip on the entire bill.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    the biggest tip ,
    dont go there again and dont tip,
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 20th May 17, 6:58 PM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 1,915 Thanks
    glider3560
    the biggest tip ,
    dont go there again and dont tip,
    Originally posted by prosaver
    Very true! Unfortunately I was dining with colleagues who insist on leaving tips (even in the UK). They also don't like the idea of individual bills, for some crazy reason.

My employer pays a fixed daily amount for food (around 35 per day), so it is in my interest to spend as little as possible on business.

The other alternative was the hotel. They charge a $5 room service surcharge plus a 21.5% gratuity

At the hotel breakfast buffet on my first morning there, I didn't tip as there was no table service (I had to get my own cutlery as the tables weren't set, plus there was a tip jar next to the food for the chefs). The waiter came running over and exclaimed to everyone nearby (he'd even looked up my name): "Mr <name>, I notice you didn't leave a tip. It is a minimum of 15% here." He then crossed out my $0.00 on the check and inserted 15%. The whole lot was charged to my room bill without my consent. Totally disgraceful service. If the tip is compulsory, it should be advertised as such.

• prosaver
    • By prosaver 20th May 17, 7:46 PM
    • 6,310 Posts
    • 4,880 Thanks
    prosaver
    I heard on a cruise you have to tip even its all inclusive..?
    money grabbers
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 21st May 17, 12:07 AM
    • 6,310 Posts
    • 4,880 Thanks
    prosaver
    Here a tip,dont use dont use wash and go shampoo s
    Its not the same
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,725Posts Today

8,132Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin