Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benten69
    • By benten69 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    • 235Posts
    • 1,273Thanks
    benten69
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants?
    • 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants? 29th Aug 16 at 8:59 AM
    Wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this, so admin, please move if needed.

Do you guys (and girls) tip when you go for a meal out? Personally I hate the idea, and it's even worse when you've got the waiter standing next to you as you select "No" on the card machine.

However, I always say that I don't get tips for doing anything extra and providing good levels of service in my job, so why should I pay others extra for a basic service their employers should be paying them for. In my previous role I saved the company £20,000 a day in penalties by delivering the project on time (a week early in fact), but I didn't get anything extra for it, because quite simply, it was my job.

Hence, I don't agree with tipping. They are doing a job & getting their hourly rate, so why do I need to subsidize it? Tesco don't tell me to pay extra if I go to a till vs going to the self checkout.

However, if there is a large group of us and say the bill comes out to £18 each, we'll all chuck in £20 and let the waiter / waitress keep the change. That's the only scenario it works in for me, as it saves everyone the hassle of finding change, waiting to get their change, etc.

What are peoples thoughts?
    SPC9 #408 - £200.39 | SPC10 #408 - £121.22
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #62 - 70.7% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: £161,250 | June '17: £154,432.16

Page 6
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 13th Apr 17, 3:54 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    wazza99
    I very rarely tip, hate the whole principle of it, almost become the expected even where in general service is nothing more than good.

I expect good service for free, if someone does something out of their way i might tip but only might.

My wife works in a shop she gets minimum wage and doesn't get tips regardless of how much she helps out customers, she doesn't expect it so why would anyone else ? why are certain jobs tip friendly others aren't, we have the minimum wage for a reason.
    • aleks1244
    • By aleks1244 22nd Apr 17, 11:47 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    aleks1244
    Its your choice if You want to tip or not, i hardly ever tip... like most people say,ITS YOUR JOB...

I was in a restaurant where one of my friends left a 30£ tip on a 70 pound meal ... Some people do it to for service others do it to show that they are more wealthy than others.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 23rd Apr 17, 1:40 PM
    • 2,803 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Nick_C
    They already get a fair wage for their job!. Carrying plates of food and copying down customers orders doesn't take any skill and i don't see why they should get anymore than the minimum wage.
    Originally posted by takman
    That very much depends on the type of restaurant.

A good waiter will be able to tell you about the dishes on the menu, give advice, and deal with special requests. They should be keeping an eye on you and liaising with the kitchen, making sure your food isn't prepared to soon and isn't sitting around on the pass once it's ready. They should make sure you are happy with the meal and deal with anything that is wrong. They should be topping up your wine and water, and making sure you have everything you need. A good waiter ensures you have an enjoyable experience.

Many "waiters" these days, particularly in chain restaurants, do little more than carry plates, but there are still restaurants around where the waiters are involved in preparing food table side, such as flambees or steak tartare. This requires skill.
    • max99x
    • By max99x 24th Apr 17, 3:12 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 5,366 Thanks
    max99x
    i live in London so tips are ALWAYS added, its annoying as if the service isnt good you don't want to really tip but then it has to be really bad for me to ask them to remove it from the bill.

I think tips should always be optional, and always go to the servers
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 25th Apr 17, 9:29 AM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 7,070 Thanks
    NBLondon
    I was in a semi-gastro pub a fortnight ago - order and pay at the bar, then food is brought to the table. The card machine automatically invited me to add a tip with a choice of None, 10%, 12.5% and more. That looks very dodgy to me - at that point, I haven't experienced the service beyond placing an order - so if the food or service is lacking, I can't adjust the tip appropriately. Wonder how many people just add on a percentage because they think it is the norm (or out of habit)?
    As it happens - the food was fine and the service was good. Had I been paying at the end, I would have happily tipped. I looked for the server as we left intending to thank him personally and cash tip, but he wasn't about (knocked off? on a break?). I did give feedback online afterwards to make both these points.
    This Be the Verse - Philip Larkin. The first line that everyone knows.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 25th Apr 17, 6:51 PM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 2,528 Thanks
    Robisere
    It is NOT compulsory! That is what we Brits forget, so many of us still worried about 'what will be thought of us.' I tip if food and service are good. If they are not, I don't. If the food or the service is particularly bad, I vote with my feet and don't return. If I am asked when paying the bill "Was everything allright?" or similar, I tell the truth.

It's market research in basic form: if you believe that some part of the meal or service is good or bad, tell them. Either by tipping and saying how good it was, or by not tipping and saying what was wrong.

I will refuse to tip under compulsion: including a "service charge" should be illegal.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• rjwr
    • By rjwr 29th Apr 17, 12:53 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    rjwr
    i find myself apologising for not leaving a tip and consequently i actively avoid restaurants of any description once there is an expectation of tipping.

I cringe at the thought of seeing "gratuity" on a card machine!
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 29th Apr 17, 10:47 PM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 6,936 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    ...and when the waiter pays tax s/he will be taxed on the income from tips that HMRC estimates from the volume of work so that s/he will have to pay tax on the tip that you don't give!
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    Haven't scrolled through the entire thread - has this been picked up? It's not true, is it? (I gather it is in the US but didn't think it was here)
    • takman
    • By takman 30th Apr 17, 10:22 AM
    • 2,615 Posts
    • 2,172 Thanks
    takman
    Haven't scrolled through the entire thread - has this been picked up? It's not true, is it? (I gather it is in the US but didn't think it was here)
    Originally posted by ViolaLass
    Yes it is true if they don't fill out a tax return then they are taxed on estimated cash tips. But they can easily supply information so they are only taxed on what they receive.

https://www.gov.uk/tips-at-work/tips-and-tax
    Last edited by takman; 30-04-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 30th Apr 17, 11:05 AM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 6,936 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    Yes it is true if they don't fill out a tax return then they are taxed on estimated cash tips. But they can easily supply information so they are only taxed on what they receive.

https://www.gov.uk/tips-at-work/tips-and-tax
    So only a disorganised waiter would get taxed on the tip I didn't give.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 30th Apr 17, 5:21 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    Kim kim
    I went for a meal last Thursday night, only the Harvester.

I left the obligatory 10% tip - as it's expected to make up wages.

But the service wasn't very good at all. I asked for a coffee with the puddings as we had to leave right after pudding. It never arrived & I couldn't catch her to remind her, so we just asked for it to be removed off the bill.
    • takman
    • By takman 30th Apr 17, 6:07 PM
    • 2,615 Posts
    • 2,172 Thanks
    takman
    I went for a meal last Thursday night, only the Harvester.

I left the obligatory 10% tip - as it's expected to make up wages.

But the service wasn't very good at all. I asked for a coffee with the puddings as we had to leave right after pudding. It never arrived & I couldn't catch her to remind her, so we just asked for it to be removed off the bill.
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    Why would you leave a 10% tip if the service was bad?

Why do you think you need to make up their wages when they get paid the same minimum wage as other people in the service industry that you don't leave a tip for?
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 30th Apr 17, 8:20 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Why would you leave a 10% tip if the service was bad?

Why do you think you need to make up their wages when they get paid the same minimum wage as other people in the service industry that you don't leave a tip for?
    It wasn't "bad", it just wasn't good. Plus items were missed.
    • DarkShadow
    • By DarkShadow 17th May 17, 3:36 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    DarkShadow
    If you think there's a tipping culture in UK, wait till you go US. Pay anything less 25% and you get bad looks.
    Bank accounts
    Santander : 14 year relationship, 0 problems to date.
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 17th May 17, 5:15 PM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 6,936 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    If you think there's a tipping culture in UK, wait till you go US. Pay anything less 25% and you get bad looks.
    Originally posted by DarkShadow
    Although if you're a tourist and unlikely to go back, do you care how they look at you?
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 17th May 17, 5:42 PM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 1,697 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    Although if you're a tourist and unlikely to go back, do you care how they look at you?
    Originally posted by ViolaLass
    I dread to think how expensive it all is now as I went in 2007 and 2008 where it was nearly $2 to the pound so it wasn't too bad. Now I dread to think what the cost of things like eating out are.

Eating out in the UK - I rarely tip. I don't eat out that often either but I don't always think tipping is necessary
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 12 stone then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs 36.5lbs lost 40.5lbs to go.
    Started SW16st13lbs 11/7/17 - 10 weeks in -28.5lbs
    3/9 to NYE 2.5lbs down / 12.5lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 17th May 17, 9:22 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    Kim kim
    I ate out last weekend & this time the service was bad. The waiter made 3 overcharges on the bill.
    We ordered two child prawn cocktails - holding the Childs menu, telling him it was for the children. We were served tiny (7 tiny) prawns cocktail.
    We ordered a large Childs squash, was served a small child's squash & charged for a large adults one.
    It was a Toby carvery, under 3s are free. We had a 2 year old (she's tiny - barely looks 2), he charges for a full Childs meal.

We very politely pointed this out.
    He got quite shouty & said he'd brought the children adults prawn cocktails, well we asked for Childs portions off the Childs menu.
    He blamed the till for the squash, said the Childs drinks were impossible to find.
    He blamed us for the Childs meal because the chef gave us a paying plate. He said we should have got one from him, we said we asked him!!
    We actually waited quite a while to go up, he didn't bring one.

Needless to say we didn't tip him, because he raised his voice so much when we asked him to correct the bill that other diners turned around.
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 18th May 17, 10:57 AM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 2,558 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    I personally think service charge being added to bills should be illegal.

Tipping and how much of it should be down to customers choice and decision. Decent service should be standard in any business.

Last night I had drinks at 'la pain quotidien', I went to the bar to order a wine and was quoted higher than the menu list, when I pointed this out the barman told me there's service charge added. Seriously, what service? I went up to the bar and ordered myself and took the wine there and then. I asked for this to be removed. Service charge being added to drinks in bars is becoming more common too (I do live in London).

I know someone who went on a European cruise and was told (even in itinerary) that £200-300 cash tips was expected per person during their 2 weeks cruise. Apparently this was asked for in the mornings. This ship can hold over 4k passengers and if each tipped £250 that's £1m in tips tax free.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 18th May 17, 11:25 AM
    • 539 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Only if I think that exceptional service has been received, NEVER if it's expected.

Also, I give my tip to the server, I don't agree with sharing tips amongst everyone.
    • misimp
    • By misimp 19th May 17, 12:31 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    misimp
    I generally leave a couple of quid - or round up

It shows willing, appreciates the service and , as others have pointed out, the waiter will usually have served 3 or 4 customers in an hour - an extra £6ph on top of their wage

I refuse to go along with the 10% 'rule'

As far as I'm concerned if I have had a decent meal for under £15 I'm happy to leave £2.......but if I have a meal for £50 I reckon the restaurant can
    afford to pay their staff, I'm not going to leave a fiver, the waiter has not worked any harder

AND what about the £5 bottle of wine you have just paid £15 for....then they expect you to add another 10% on top of the obscene profit they are already making just for opening it and bringing it to the table....ermm, I don't think so
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,138Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin