Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• benten69
    • By benten69 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    • 189Posts
    • 1,099Thanks
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants?
    • 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants? 29th Aug 16 at 8:59 AM
    Wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this, so admin, please move if needed.

Do you guys (and girls) tip when you go for a meal out? Personally I hate the idea, and it's even worse when you've got the waiter standing next to you as you select "No" on the card machine.

However, I always say that I don't get tips for doing anything extra and providing good levels of service in my job, so why should I pay others extra for a basic service their employers should be paying them for. In my previous role I saved the company £20,000 a day in penalties by delivering the project on time (a week early in fact), but I didn't get anything extra for it, because quite simply, it was my job.

Hence, I don't agree with tipping. They are doing a job & getting their hourly rate, so why do I need to subsidize it? Tesco don't tell me to pay extra if I go to a till vs going to the self checkout.

However, if there is a large group of us and say the bill comes out to £18 each, we'll all chuck in £20 and let the waiter / waitress keep the change. That's the only scenario it works in for me, as it saves everyone the hassle of finding change, waiting to get their change, etc.

What are peoples thoughts?
    SPC9 #408 - £181.72 (£331.36 before I dipped into it )
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #62 - 51% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: £161,250 | Sept '16: £157,520.18

Page 3
    • Oddjob
    • By Oddjob 4th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    In my opinion one should tip because waiters do not get paid as what you are getting paid in a job (say £6000) But what waiters are getting paid? Its not as high as you are paid. Its everyone opinion if they get good service they tip if not they walkout without the tip.
    Originally posted by kmjamal
    I do a good job but I probably earn less than they do, no one tips me as usually I am not in a position for anyone to be able to tip me.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 5th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Not usually. Don't understand the concept in an age where there is a minimum wage. And I particularly hate the societal pressure to tip, if anything this makes me less likely to tip. If the waiter/waitress isn't getting paid minimum wage then it is up to them to take it up with their employer.

Where does it end? Tipping the cashier in Asda? Tipping the car wash attendant? Tipping the worker in Burger King?
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 7th Oct 16, 9:16 AM
    • 9,267 Posts
    • 48,517 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I don't tip as such, but I'll usually round up to the nearest fiver.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1015-50
    • missile
    • By missile 8th Oct 16, 8:20 AM
    • 8,174 Posts
    • 3,881 Thanks
    I do not tip where the service has been poor.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 8th Oct 16, 9:03 AM
    • 551 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    I will tip a couple of £ not a %. Like Bob above round up to the nearest £5 for decent service. I see them wait on 4 tables say while we eat, even if you estimate 2 hrs per cover £3 per table tip that's an extra £6 an hour, and they are very pessimistic estimates. Much more likely £10 per hour tips.
    As well as property developing I will do jobs for people as and when work presents / fits our schedule. If We do a superb job and a couple of extras we might get a £10 bunged over and above the bill. Very rarely. And you won't believe how often people say = oh could you just put that mirror up / fix that hinge / ...
    In the USA I still tip about the same, only 1 person ever commented, a NYC cab driver. I told him tough. It was too expensive anyway!!
    • stockton
    • By stockton 9th Oct 16, 12:32 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 109 Thanks

In the USA I still tip about the same, only 1 person ever commented, a NYC cab driver. I told him tough. It was too expensive anyway!!
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    That brought back memories of when I worked on a cruise ship docked in New York: a crew member told me he was up in Times Square and had just enough money to catch a cab back to the ship but not enough for a tip.

When he got out the taxi he thrust the fare in the cabbie's hands and then moved off quickly through the dock sheds. He heard shouting from the cabbie but just ignored it and walked on.

Eventually he got to the ships gangway and was climbing up it when he heard more shouting from the shed. He was aghast. The cabbie had followed him several hundred yards all the way to the ship. "How am I supposed to live"? he was yelling.

It is a brave man who doesn't tip a NY cabbie.
    • latisha
    • By latisha 10th Oct 16, 1:57 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Sometimes I tip when the service though I know it their job.
    • therightthingtodo
    • By therightthingtodo 10th Oct 16, 5:04 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Having worked as a waiter and now doing quite well for myself I like to tip for all but poor service. I always check with the staff that they do recevie the tip and every time I try to think of how each tip I received made me feel.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,272Posts Today

7,785Users online

Martin's Twitter