Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benten69
    • By benten69 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    • 165Posts
    • 1,047Thanks
    benten69
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants?
    • 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants? 29th Aug 16 at 8:59 AM
    Wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this, so admin, please move if needed.

Do you guys (and girls) tip when you go for a meal out? Personally I hate the idea, and it's even worse when you've got the waiter standing next to you as you select "No" on the card machine.

However, I always say that I don't get tips for doing anything extra and providing good levels of service in my job, so why should I pay others extra for a basic service their employers should be paying them for. In my previous role I saved the company £20,000 a day in penalties by delivering the project on time (a week early in fact), but I didn't get anything extra for it, because quite simply, it was my job.

Hence, I don't agree with tipping. They are doing a job & getting their hourly rate, so why do I need to subsidize it? Tesco don't tell me to pay extra if I go to a till vs going to the self checkout.

However, if there is a large group of us and say the bill comes out to £18 each, we'll all chuck in £20 and let the waiter / waitress keep the change. That's the only scenario it works in for me, as it saves everyone the hassle of finding change, waiting to get their change, etc.

What are peoples thoughts?
    SPC9 #408 - £142.48
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #62 - 47% Complete

Page 2
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 15th Sep 16, 1:44 PM
    • 15,824 Posts
    • 25,054 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    T - To
    I - Insure
    P - Promptness

Tipping doesn't really live up to its name.

I'll tend to tip more at cheaper places, than expensive. If the expensive places can't pay their staff well, then the management need to take less of a cut.

I got back from a cruise 2 weeks ago, where they expected a $12.95 a day, per person in the cabin (room). Yup, they wanted an automatic tip of £39 a day for a family of 4, just to be on holiday on the ship.
    Last edited by ringo_24601; 15-09-2016 at 1:52 PM.
    • mickeymouse303
    • By mickeymouse303 20th Sep 16, 11:29 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    mickeymouse303
    It depends on where I go to be honest. Sometimes I feel really patronising if I leave a tip but other times I'll feel rude if I don't!
    • MKonrad
    • By MKonrad 20th Sep 16, 12:20 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    MKonrad
    It really depends on many things - service, food, etc. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I do prefer to pay a fair price instead, however.
    Only morons start a business on a loan!
    Our life is a loan received from death with sleep as the daily interest on this loan.
    • Suman Verma
    • By Suman Verma 20th Sep 16, 12:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Suman Verma
    Yes, I do but only when I like the food. If I am happy with the food then I love to give tip as a gesture of my happy mood and satisfied belly.
    • osborne88
    • By osborne88 22nd Sep 16, 2:36 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    osborne88
    I don't tend to tip, I've never particular agreed with the concept. We've got into a culture were the customer is expected to directly pay the staff the bonus that should surely be in their salary!
    I do however tip if I've received an above average service, but not for someone doing the standard job.
    • Carl31
    • By Carl31 23rd Sep 16, 4:25 PM
    • 1,699 Posts
    • 3,624 Thanks
    Carl31
    tipping is an old US custom, the idea being that waiting staff earned their income by providing a good service, this was reflected in their salary paid, and the price charged for the food by the restaurant. Effectively, the majority of the staffs wage came directly from the customer

we have minimum wage here, and the pricing structure of the restaurant isn't set up the same way, hence its not relevant, but we seemed to have adopted it anyway

The other thing is, anything given as tips has to be declared as income, so the waiting staff will be taxed on it
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 23rd Sep 16, 5:05 PM
    • 2,152 Posts
    • 1,365 Thanks
    anotheruser
    No.
    And I don't like those that add it to reciepts automatically.

I don't get tipped in my job, which isn't particularly high paying - so that's not the "excuse".
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 23rd Sep 16, 10:07 PM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    20aday
    Only if I feel the service/food was good enough otherwise no.

And if I've seen on MSE or elsewhere companies which keep the tips rather than sharing them out with their employees then it's a MASSIVE no no.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your account conduct and credit history.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 24th Sep 16, 6:17 PM
    • 7,446 Posts
    • 3,586 Thanks
    Stompa
    I have never tipped in my life, and never will. It's a ludicrous custom.
    Stompa
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 24th Sep 16, 8:00 PM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    glider3560
    No, I don't tip. I expect service to be carried out correctly and to a high standard, without having to bribe my way to achieve that. In addition, why are certain low wage occupations "tippable" and others not?

I was recently out for a group dinner in Greece with one American, during a business trip. The bill came to €143. None of the Europeans left a tip. The American was incensed. He said the tip must be at least 15%, so a minimum of €21. No-one obliged. In the end, he left about €16 in loose change, incredibly apologetically to the waitress. She couldn't stop smiling, as the Greeks don't expect any tip to be left.

Just shows the differences in culture.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 24th Sep 16, 8:03 PM
    • 55,239 Posts
    • 316,800 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    One of the issues I've seen when asking this question is that everybody's view on what a restaurant is is different.

Some people here think that eating at a Wetherspoons once a year is a major treat (I would), while others think 2 visits to the Ivy each year is "normal".

I'm sure tipping 'etiquette' at a posh place, or a celebrity chef restaurant you've had to book 2 months in advance for .... is different to the tipping etiquette in the local grubby indian restaurant in the back street, or lunch at Wetherspoons.

In cheap/grubby places you don't get "service".... you get a menu, order the food, it comes. Posher places have a thing called "service" - I've seen it on the telly when that chef with a foreign name took some kids in to teach them the restaurant trade. There's stuff they have to do re drinks, timings, how/what to offer at different points, etc. That's "service" that you don't get when you walk into a Wetherspoons, order a dinner at the bar and it arrives at your table 10 minutes later.
    • Oddjob
    • By Oddjob 26th Sep 16, 12:13 AM
    • 354 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Oddjob
    You could ask the same question about tipping at hairdressers too.
    When I go, I have the owner do my hair. I have never tipped them, I am paying for the service they are giving me by giving them the price they are asking.
    I don't tend to tip in restaurants either, although I might round the bill up. Like others have said, the person should be paid by their employers to do the job, if they did an exceptional job, I would tip them as a thank you. They should do a good job as a norm and shouldn't need to be tipped for just doing their job.
    • AndyBSG
    • By AndyBSG 27th Sep 16, 1:20 PM
    • 764 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    AndyBSG
    I generally tip around 10% based on service received.

Table staff are generally paid minimum wage, work unsociable hours and are on their feet a lot, often having to deal with complaints about the food that they haven't actually cooked so if they give me good service then they deserve it IMO.

Also, from a purely selfish point of view, it makes me feel good to give someone who deserves it a good tip.

I always try to tip in cash where possible. So, even if i'm paying the bill by card, i'll generally leave the tip in cash after paying given some restaurants deplorable practice of skimming charges from staff for tips made by card.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 27th Sep 16, 5:56 PM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    glider3560
    Table staff are generally paid minimum wage, work unsociable hours and are on their feet a lot, often having to deal with complaints about the food that they haven't actually cooked so if they give me good service then they deserve it IMO.
    Originally posted by AndyBSG
    Do you also tip call centre workers (customer service, not sales people)? They are often on minimum wage, with no commission and have to work unsociable hours, plus they get a torrent of abuse from customers.

• AndyBSG
    • By AndyBSG 28th Sep 16, 9:59 AM
    • 764 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    AndyBSG
    Do you also tip call centre workers (customer service, not sales people)? They are often on minimum wage, with no commission and have to work unsociable hours, plus they get a torrent of abuse from customers.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    Exactly how would I tip someone on the other end of a phone?

That said, my attitude to tipping isn't just restricted to restaurant staff if that's what you're getting at.

As a rule i'll generally tip takeaway delivery staff a quid or so, I also tip removal or delivery men at my discretion(obviously not someone just delivering a parcel but if they were delivering something that took a lot of manual effort such as a bed to go up a flight of stairs, etc)

At Christmas my cleaner and postman also get a tip off of me.

No, i'm not rolling in money by any means but after getting made redundant roughly a decade ago and finding myself on the breadline for a couple of years, living in little more than a squat and carrying out pretty much every low paid, soul destroying menial job I could find just to make ends meet I know what it's like.

For me a fiver here or there makes little or no difference to my standard of living but to someone in one of those sort of jobs every few quid can make a difference.
    • d70cw6
    • By d70cw6 28th Sep 16, 2:39 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    d70cw6
    God no, never tip. !!!! those guys.
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 29th Sep 16, 3:12 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    rhysadams
    Depends on the place, I hate it when you have to go to the bar, order food and then when it comes to pay it asks for gratuity.

However I do tend to tip depending on the service.

OCD insists I round it up to the nearest £1 though
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,440Posts Today

6,560Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Follow Martin