Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 29th Aug 16, 8:45 AM
    • 193Posts
    • 564Thanks
    Jumblerina
    A path out of the Jumble
    • 29th Aug 16, 8:45 AM
    A path out of the Jumble 29th Aug 16 at 8:45 AM
    Morning Everyone,

Just had what feels like my millionth lightbulb moment and it's pretty bright! I've used MSE in the past and seem to have tumbled off the wagon too many times.

I don't want to continue spending and living the way I have, things have got to change and I ready for them to

Between 2012-13 I cleared just over £8.5k in debt in a year, with just £6k to go - then an unexpected career break and some long overdue house renovations put me back in debt

Since then I've had my head throughly buried in the sand, it's time to draw a line in that sand and come up with a plan To dig through the jumble that is my life, to set some goals and get back on track.

I'll be posting every day to keep myself motivated, I've spent the last few days reading diaries on here which have given me a real boost hope you enjoy my random ramblings

Jumblerina
Page 7
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 11th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Counting my blessings
    Good afternoon Diary,

I'm feeling very lucky today, boiler engineer came to fix our boiler and had the parts to sort it with him. We now have heating and hot water restored, I'll be having a nice warm bath tonight to celebrate

Then my Mum came to see me after her holiday, she had with her some chocolate from a lovely little shop and a brand new tablet with case! I couldn't believe it, she put it in the bag from the chocolate shop and I was so shocked when I peeked inside

It was great to be able to work from home today as I got lots of little tasks out of the way that are hard to concentrate on in a busy office. I've got a 6 hour Worksop tomorrow so will be heading into the city.

I know I'm in money saving mode now as I can't wait to update my budget spreadsheet on my new tablet! Treated my Mum to lunch from the little coffee shop at the end of my street, all from the budget need to think of a way to thank my Mum too, that's not too expensive.

Hope you're all having a great day

Jumblerina xxx
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 11th Oct 16, 3:34 PM
    • 3,931 Posts
    • 11,552 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hiya,

Nothing like hot water is there? lol Glad you got your boiler sorted

How lovely of your mum to treat you.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: £8850.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

15 NSD - 8/15, 10 LSD - 3/10, 15 AFD - 1/15, Lunches to work 9/20

20p Savers 2016 £2 Savers 2016 50p Savers 2016 SPC 9 2016 #003
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 11th Oct 16, 4:08 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 1,538 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    How lovely of your mum Jumblerina. Does she have any interests or hobbies that you could buy a little something for?

Glad the boiler is mended and the repair man actually had the parts with his. That is a rare thing nowadays.

Tink xx
    LBM 11/08/15 - Total Debt Owing:- £10338.89 01/11/16 - £13996.57 01/12/16 - £13062.92
    DEBT 1 = £1143.93 DEBT 2 = £1073.00 DEBT 3 = £253.38
    DEBT 4 = £725.02 DEBT 5 = £166.10 DEBT 6 £1120.00
    DEBT 7 = £1324.59 DEBT 8 = £6325 DEBT 9 £2656.92
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Oct 16, 4:23 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Yay for hot water. Being without makes you appreciate it so much more
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 11-10-2016 at 4:33 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=23,322/OCTOBER 2016=15,327 or 34.5% PAID
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 11th Oct 16, 10:46 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Thanks ladies, was really lovely of my Mum I'm going to cook her a nice meal to say thank you and think of a gift I can get her. The blessing of hot water is no small one, had a lovely relaxing lavender bath you really don't realise how much you appreciate things until they're not working!

Been working on the sort part of my de-clutter, by helping my OH list some blu-rays for sale - he's been really good at letting them go. Think I may have inspired him with my recent de-cluttering efforts it's puppy class tomorrow night so I won't have any time to work on de-cluttering until Thursday.

I plan to....

- Have a clear out of the boiler cupboard and recycle/donate/trash anything I won't use
    - Have a sort through my clothes, since my de-clutter last month they're getting untidy and I know there's some things that need to go.
    - Clear out the Utility room cupboards, I only had a brief tidy through last month.
    - Swap out summer/winter clothes and use the now empty storage boxes on top of the wardrobe
    - Clear out the kitchen cupboards and recycle/donate/trash anything I won't use
    - Sort through the book shelf in the front room
    - Tidy desk in the spare room
    - Winterproof our Bell tent and tidy everything away in there
    - Put away garden waste bins until the Spring
    - Sort through my paperwork drawers

I'm sure my sort to-do list will be added to as I remember different things I need to do, yet it's a good start and will keep me busy. I'll also need to finish off updating the budget over the weekend, it's really important I stick to my personal spends budget. I've already got an extra days dog walking to pay for this week with having to be at home for the boiler repair today.

Hope you're all having a great week, can't believe it's Wednesday tomorrow!

Jumblerina xxx
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 12th Oct 16, 9:17 AM
    • 193 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Mindfulness in the bustle
    Good Morning Diary,

I'm writing this from a coffee shop, yes I gave in and decided to have a little treat (£3.99 for a soya milk latte and pain au chocolat). This used to be a regular thing, now I appreciate it more

I've got an extra hour to myself this morning as I'm starting a little later with me being in a workshop I've used this little extra space in an otherwise busy morning to practise a little mindfulness.

I'm finding it a really useful addition to my days, particularly as I've usually got quite a busy mind

Just taking the time to listen to the sounds, sights and things that are usually just in the background brings a certain amount of joy to your day

Attempting a little meditation on a busy train was a challenge but I'm glad I gave it a go - I'm feeling much clearer, calmer and happier in the moment. It's replaced that nice little boost I used to get from coffee until I switched to decaf

I hope you all have a wonderful day

Jumblerina xxx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Oct 16, 7:32 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sounds perfect. I used to love a Pr3t almond croissant and a coffee in my pre gluten-free days. Bliss. I'm glad you had a nice treat
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 13th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Good Evening Diary,

Just writing this as the shepherds pie cooks - it's officially Autumn had a good yet tiring day.

After going back and forth on whether or not to have my hair cut, I bit the bullet and had it done feeling much better for a good trim. Need to have a quick re-jig of my budget to make sure I come in on target.

While I was waiting I had my free drink in Caffe N@ro and passed the time people watching from the window.

After coming home to mop a very muddy floor the last think I wanted to do was cook. Yet I'm glad I did and there will be leftovers for tomorrow

Just got to make lunch for tomorrow and I'll be all set. Haven't really done much on the de-cluttering front the last two days. I'm out on Saturday with my friend so if I'm not too tired on Sunday, I'll tackle it then.

Hope you're all having a great week - looking forward to the weekend

Jumblerina xxx
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 15th Oct 16, 11:08 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Just taking the time to listen to the sounds, sights and things that are usually just in the background brings a certain amount of joy to your day
    Originally posted by Jumblerina
    Ah that's lovely, thanks for the reminder

Your decluttering is going well I see
    Ll0yds CC £3180.05 £2779 / H@lifax CC - £1490 £0
    Nati0nwide CC - £558 £0 / Barcl@ycard CC - £890.80 £0
    Debt Apr 15 £6895.44 / Jul 15 £6330.30 / 5th Jan 16 £5217.26 / 4th Feb £4340 / 5th Apr £3505
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 16th Oct 16, 8:21 AM
    • 193 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Thanks OE a little mindfulness is certainly helping me as is the de-cluttering!
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 16th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    • 193 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Weekly Review
    Morning Diary,

Wow - it's been a busy spend week! Definitely need to get focussed again next week

Saturday 8 October
    Weekly shop - £67.18

Sunday 9 October
    NSD

Monday 10 October
    £1.20 - Granola & yogurt (didn't have time for breakfast!)
    £1 - Bus fare

Tuesday 11 October
    £5 - Bread, milk top up
    £5 - Lunch at Deli (treat for Mum)

Wednesday 12 October
    £7.50 - Travel (£4 work expenses)
    £3.99 - Latte & pastry (treat for me)
    £21 - floor brush & mop set

Thursday 13 October
    £4 - Travel
    £39 - Hair
    £1.40 - Bottle of water
    £39.99 - Gift for Mum

Friday 14 October
    £1 - Bus fare
    £26 - Vet bill

Total weekly spend: £217.86
    NSD: 1/7
    Takeaways: 0/7
    Lunch at work: 4/4

What went well this week
    Despite it being a spendy week, I've thought things through and all purchases have been a choice. With the one exception of breakfast on Monday

All my travel expenses have been for buses. I've avoided taxi travel, even when I'm tired and my legs are shaky. Fingers crossed my bus pass will be here soon I've felt glad of having a little savings pot for household expenses - had to buy a mop and bucket as my steam mop just wasn't cutting it when it comes to the amount of mud my puppy has been bringing in! Plus the unexpected vet bill!

What I've learnt this week
    I need to make sure I'm organised with my work routine to avoid unexpected purchases.

I spend £45 on gifts for my Mum to say thanks for the tablet. I set myself a budget of £50 and stuck to it lunch and a electric blanket are perfectly practical gifts she'll get use from.

I'm annoyed at myself for spending money on water when I could've just filled my bottle up at work! Will do that next week

Review of last weeks goals
    Aim for 4 NSD's - failed miserably
    Continue with spring clean of the house - have kept it generally tidy with being back at work. Will need to have a deeper clean today
    Puppy training sessions - done, my puppy is still bouncy but a ever so slightly more obedient bouncy
    Take lunches to work - done
    Stick to personal spend budget - went over the budget to get my hair done. Was totally worth it and I hadn't had it cut since April!

Next weeks goals
    Aim for 4 NSD
    Take lunches to work
    Keep up puppy training
    Daily tidy and de-clutter
    Look at budget - it's payday next week, already!
    Last edited by Jumblerina; 16-10-2016 at 8:31 AM. Reason: Forgot something!
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 16th Oct 16, 4:59 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Good Afternoon Diary,

It was a hectic end to the week, with an unexpected vet trip and a spendy day yesterday! Luckily my puppy is fine and I've given myself a good talking to on the spending!

It's 25 days until my trip to London and I need to stay in the savings zone my OH was very kind and gave me half the proceeds from the sale of some blu-rays yesterday, so I was £50 up I used some vouchers I had for N@xt to get him some new shoes and slippers, which he gave me £40 for. So I was strictly £90 up!

I spent the last £5 of my personal spend budget on coffee for my friend and I - it's always tough when we go out as I usually buy lunch too. I wasn't worried as I'd had the unexpected influx of cash but ended up spending £218.99

£40 - new dog collar, dog treats, ID tag and food
    When we went to puppy class on Wednesday, they told us his collar is too small even though I'd measured him and just got one from Am@zon. I also had to get a new ID tag as his had his name on, which they advise against.

They also said his kibble was too small to use as dog training treats hence the dog treats and new food as he needs to transition onto a cheaper brand. I sometimes wonder if the spending on my puppy will ever end!

£149.99 - new vacuum cleaner
    Before we got our puppy, I got a Dys@n cordless vacuum last summer - I've had nothing but issues with it and I'm on my third one . Since getting our puppy it's even worse at cleaning the house, so I went to look at pet vacuums to get a feel for what was available. The one I was going to get was £59.99, then they showed us another that was much more powerful as well as lightweight with £80 off. We did need a new vacuum, just not immediately, I did feel really guilty about buying it yet our house is so much cleaner now!

£29 - Lunch
    I went for the cheapest option to keep costs down and lunch came in under £30, a small saving grace

I'm hoping I can sell my Dys@on to re-coup a little cash and from now until payday in 8 days time I have zero in my personal spend budget this happened last month and I swore I didn't want to repeat it! The good news is, I'm not anticipating any more spends other than travel costs which should amount to less than £5.

I'll be taking lunch to work all week and have a day working from home in the midweek I'm lucky to still be doing reduced hours while I build my strength up after being ill. I'm hoping next week will be uneventful and very low spend

I'll be posting more regularly to get myself back on the straight and narrow, I'm lucky I can cover my spends with savings - yet it will leave me short for my London trip I've recognised it and will get back on track!

Hope you all have a great Sunday

Jumblerina xxx
    Last edited by Jumblerina; 16-10-2016 at 5:02 PM.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Oct 16, 7:51 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Maybe you can sell the old dog collar on as well...

I hope this week is a good one for you
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 17th Oct 16, 10:10 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Good Evening Diary,

A successful Monday, did my hours at work and they passed quite productively

Stuck to my £1 travel costs budget too - I'll be continuing this right up to payday on the 24th! Need to keep on track

Still haven't booked my London hotel, holding out for a good deal. Train tickets already purchased and they've arrived too

Puppy training is going well, not much in the way of de-cluttering done. I've been feeling a little unwell so took it easy when I got home. Watched the US presidential debates, made interesting viewing! If I didn't know it was real, I'd swear it was a parody in parts

Hope you've all had a happy and frugal Monday

Jumblerina xxx
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 18th Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Good Afternoon Diary,

Good thinking on selling the dog collar DIA I'll have a look into it. Had a good day at work today, I'm getting back into things and finding work to keep me busy

I'll be working from home tomorrow and have a nice big pile of admin to get through! That's should keep me busy! I'm so lucky to have this day working from home, I'll make the most of it by doing some chores in between work tasks. I'm so glad it's in the midweek too as it breaks the week up and gives me a little rest.

Been feeling grotty the last couple of days so de-cluttering has taken a bit of a back burner, just concentrating on keeping on top of the household tasks and cooking. Lovely catch up with a couple of friends today, it's always nice to spend time with people who care and make you smile.

Have re-examined the budget and will be doing a little review of the month as I approach my payday on the 24th. I know there are things I've learnt that will help me budget better next month, I've got to be super strict as it's our London trip in November and I need to be on track for Christmas

Hope you're all having a great week!

Jumblerina xxx
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 18th Oct 16, 10:36 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 1,538 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    You're lists make me feel so lazy. I just usually have one big clean on a Sunday and then a little tidy each evening.

The hoover sounds like a good investment. I think my next one will be a pet one although Mr D doesn't leave much hair about, they do seem to pick up a lot better.

Hope you feel better soon.

Tink xx
    LBM 11/08/15 - Total Debt Owing:- £10338.89 01/11/16 - £13996.57 01/12/16 - £13062.92
    DEBT 1 = £1143.93 DEBT 2 = £1073.00 DEBT 3 = £253.38
    DEBT 4 = £725.02 DEBT 5 = £166.10 DEBT 6 £1120.00
    DEBT 7 = £1324.59 DEBT 8 = £6325 DEBT 9 £2656.92
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 20th Oct 16, 2:19 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    If it makes you feel any better Tink, I've still not tackled my de-cluttering list and I posted it ages ago! I generally do a big clean each week then a tidy each day like you. Had to step up the sweeping and mopping to every day since we got our puppy. It used to be every 2-3 days when it was just me and OH

Have really noticed the difference with my new Hoover, as our monster is a lab and getting his adult/winter coat - there are little black hairs everywhere! Thanks for your get well wishes, hope you're feeling better yourself

Jumblerina xxx
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 20th Oct 16, 2:33 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Good Afternoon Diary,

I'm pleased to say I'm on track with my minimal spends this week £1/day for bus fare home from work and managed to talk OH out of getting a takeaway last night, he was going to pay but I'd rather save the money towards something else.

Only slight blip was we had to get chicken and rice for our puppy yesterday as he's ill, as well as some milk so £10 spent in the local c@-op, it's so expensive in there! I keep telling myself it's cheaper than more Vet bills and it's important we get him back to health. As we don't have children, he's literally like my baby - got up with him through the night when he was little for toilet training and he comes to me for cuddles at night.

I'm so happy we got him, he brings us both so much joy - we did think long and hard about getting him as we both work. Yet I'm working from home at least one day a week now and the other four days he has a neighbour come in for an hour to feed and walk him he's such a beautiful, loving and playful little thing, we were totally in love with him from day one.

My main focus for the last few days has been work, eat, look after puppy, chores and bed! My energy levels haven't been fantastic, yet it's very almost the weekend. I hope to have a good tidy and de-clutter of the house, finally getting to my de-clutter to do list

It's almost payday too - so I'll be getting to work on the budget for November, there's our London trip and bonfire party coming up, plus we're having my OHs family round for food/drinks. It's not going to be the best month for budgeting yet every month can't be perfect and I'm determined to live a little on this journey to debt freedom

Hope you're all having a fab Thursday!

Jumblerina xxx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Oct 16, 8:41 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I think it's important to 'live' whilst debt busting too. Your puppy sounds a real joy to you. To me this journey is about spending in line with your values, spending with intention even. As long as I do that I'm okay and when I don't I get cross with myself.

Have a Friday too x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 31st Oct 16, 10:35 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    I'm back and I've got a few confessions....
    Good Evening Diary and my fellow Debtfreers,

I've been MIA for a while - I let myself get too busy with work and life in general, it's led me a little off track

I've let the budget down a little by buying lunch and a few too many takeaways I even spent over £7 on lunch in Pr@t, it was delicious and very healthy

Had an unexpected spend on some fencing for our garden as our not so little puppy escaped into our next door neighbours! The hedge is starting to thin with the winter coming, he saw his opportunity and took it luckily my neighbour has a gate and fence so he didn't get far and he came back when I shouted him I certainly could've done without the extra spend so close to my London trip and of course Christmas

I'm so glad I've built up an emergency fund as it is a weight off my mind knowing I have the money to cover the fencing. All my spends for London are planned and in budget, just need to make sure I set a sensible spends budget and stick to it

I've still kept up with my budget tracking and have avoided any silly spends - just need to set myself back on track. I've got a few days off work and I'm using my time wisely have caught up on my rest, as I'd let myself get too tired I know this is where the extra spends creep in, buying lunch, coffee and takeout when I'm too tired to cook.

Need a backup plan and some meals for the freezer - first need to clear the freezer out and eat what's in there, so I feel a meal plan coming on

Tomorrow I'll be having a spring clean of the house, I'd really like to grab coffee but it's a cost I could do without so will make my own coffee at home

I'm also going to work on a plan to get back on track with my budget and de-cluttering the house - when my house is clean and tidy, it makes cooking and general living so much easier.

Plus I'll be making sure I keep up posting on my diary - it keeps me on track. Hope you're all having a fab Halloween and week so far

Jumblerina xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,671Posts Today

5,760Users online

Martin's Twitter