A path out of the Jumble

Options

Comments

• Jumblerina
    Options
    Thanks LL :) the weekly review has definitely helped me re-plan to avoid going over budget, may be a bit late for this month but I'm hoping it works for the coming months
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    Morning Diary,

After all my de-cluttering and general tidying last week, I over-did it so had to spend the weekend resting. I still did the odd bit of cleaning, such as de-cluttering the cutlery drawer - which looks so much better :)

Other than that I took it easy, had dinner at my parents house yesterday which was lovely and got to see all of my family too which was a bonus :) I'm going to find a way of still keeping up with my de-cluttering plans, yet taking time out to rest.

I want to get well, at the same time as de-cluttering/tidying and organising my house. To help with this I've taken the first step to re-balance the household workload, I do pretty much all cleaning and cooking at home - despite both OH and myself working full time. Whilst I do enjoy a good clean and the benefits of a clean house, it's just not fair for me to do the lions share of the work at home.

I've tried various ways to get my OH to do more, all of which have failed :( so on Saturday I found an app called Chorma for chores. You list all household jobs, how frequently you'll do them and invite the members of your household. You can then claim the jobs you'd like to do and tick them off as you go. It's easy to see who has completed what and jobs that haven't been completed.

We talked through what should be included on a daily, weekly, monthly basis for each room and I wrote it out for us to refer to. You can alternate chores too, will be much better doing different jobs each week.

So far my OH has signed up and claimed a few jobs, done a couple and forgotten to tick them off! I've asked him to go in and tick off the ones he's done and claim additional jobs. I don't want to have to be in a place where I have to keep encouraging him all the time, he knows how it works and what to do. At the same time I don't want to give in and do all the work myself!

If anyone has any tips on how they divide the household cleaning, cooking, management jobs - could you please let me know :)

In other news, I've clocked up my first NSD of the week yesterday :) despite getting dangerously close to a coffee shop :) I'm aiming for another today as I've got everything I need in the house.

Hope you all have a great day everyone, looks like we're in for some sunshine :)

Jumblerina
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I hope you feel better soon.

Do you read Frugalwoods? They had this issue and there's a whole blog dedicated to it. The comments are interesting on it too...
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I like the sound of that app Jumblerina, maybe that's what I need to motivate my OH to help more! If I ask him directly, he usually will do something (eventually), but I hate asking constantly as I feel like I'm nagging.
    Tonight (bearing in mind I'm now quite heavily pregnant), he let me cook dinner, empty the dishwasher, wash up the dishes from dinner, clean down all the kitchen, make us a cup of tea x 2, feed the cat, clean out her litter tray and iron some work clothes/uniform for tomorrow. All whilst he sat watching TV. Then when I curled up on the sofa aching all over, he asked me if I was feeling OK...:rotfl::rotfl:err what do you think mister?!?!

Little and often is probably best for you whilst you take care of yourself. Just pick one or two tasks a day and don't over exert yourself, and you will still feel like you are keeping on top of things hopefully :)
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    Thanks DIA :) I've not read that blog, will have to take a look, thanks for the tip
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    Oh my EB, what are we going to do with our OH's! :rotfl::rotfl: I can imagine that happening to me as well, even when I'm ill I try to carry on the household jobs as normal all while my OH is blissfully unaware plonked in front of the TV :mad: I'm the same with the nagging too, as he will do things around the house, he just needs prompting, sometimes extensively prompting :rotfl:

Hope you're feeling better now and managed to get some rest, make sure you put your feet up :) thanks for the tip on choosing a task or two a day, it's a great idea and I'll be doing just that while I get better :D
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    Morning Diary,

What a beautiful sunny day it is out there, who knew we would be treated to a little bit of summer just before Autumn starts :)

I'm not going to let the fact that my mobile phone provider screwed up my account for the 6th time to dampen my spirits. I've e-mailed them a formal complaint and I'm hoping they'll now get their act together.

I'm pleased to report that yesterday was a NSD for me (yesterday was strictly a spend day for our household as OH bought us dinner in as I was feeling grotty). Today is set to be one too, we're off to Puppy class later but we'll eat before we leave to avoid any spends. I'm also managing to avoid the cake calling my name from the coffee shop a short walk from my house :D

It's a little warm for baking today, so I'll have to bake some more banana bread when it cools down :) I made some on Thursday - it was delicious and used up the bananas about to go off. Although it's that special time of the month and I'm trying to avoid eating my own body weigh in carbohydrates, so might hold off for a little while!

Yesterday I de-cluttered 2 storage boxes from the top of my wardrobe and convinced my OH to part with a box of old games. The boxes are completely empty now so I'm going to use one to store my personal keepsakes, old photos and cards etc. I was feeling particularly grotty yesterday so other than that, I took it easy and spent some quality time with N@tflix :)

Today I'm going to tackle the spare room and put all the charity bags in one place, ready for the collection on Thursday :) I put a cabinet on Freecycle on Sunday, so will check if I've had any responses. I've also switched to the S@ntander 123 Lite account after I learned I could earn more cash back than my current 123 account. Thanks go to Lauralozzle for the tip :money:

Hope you're all having a wonderful day

Jumblerina
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Oooh maybe I should look at the 123 Santander Lite. Not heard of it before, but we have the 123 account, and the CC to buy food + petrol and get the cashback. Thanks for the passing that tip along!

Hope you feel better today, I've been so tired all day. Slept badly and probably over exerted myself yesterday too. Not a good combo. You are doing so well with the decluttering! Fab stuff xx
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    You're welcome EB :) I didn't know about the 123 Lite account until I read it on Lauralozzle's diary, sneaky S@ntander don't like to let you know where you could save money by emailing you! They've got an interest calculator on their website so you can compare both accounts to see what works out best for you.

I'm getting there thanks EB :) I'm sorry to hear you're tired, make sure you take it easy and don't overdo it! Put your feet up and relax a little when you can x
  • Jumblerina
    Jumblerina Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 14 September 2016 at 8:47AM
    Options
    Morning Diary,

Tomorrow is the day I've got a charity donation collection arranged with BHF - I want to make sure I've got all my donations ready to go.

I've had a week to organise myself so it should'nt actually be a surprise :rotfl: I've made steady progress over the last week yet there is still more to do. So today will be a fully dedicated de-clutter day :)

I didn't get to the spare room yesterday as I was feeling tired, so I'll just tackle it today instead :) I love a good to do list, it always keeps me on track. Today I will......

- Finish de-cluttering the spare room
    - Take photos of items I want to sell
    - Gather all the items to donate downstairs
    - Have a pantry and kitchen cupboard clear out to see if there are any items to donate
    - Ask OH again to gather anything he'd like to donate (he's a game/book/film collector and I'm trying to convince him to part with just some of the items he's not overly fond of :D)

My item in Freecycle is still waiting for mod approval, so will just keep an eye on that as I'd like to donate/give it away ASAP so I can give the utility room a deep clean and a lick of paint.

Hope you all have a great day :)

Jumblerina
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family