Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 29th Aug 16, 8:45 AM
    • 188Posts
    • 558Thanks
    Jumblerina
    A path out of the Jumble
    • 29th Aug 16, 8:45 AM
    A path out of the Jumble 29th Aug 16 at 8:45 AM
    Morning Everyone,

Just had what feels like my millionth lightbulb moment and it's pretty bright! I've used MSE in the past and seem to have tumbled off the wagon too many times.

I don't want to continue spending and living the way I have, things have got to change and I ready for them to

Between 2012-13 I cleared just over £8.5k in debt in a year, with just £6k to go - then an unexpected career break and some long overdue house renovations put me back in debt

Since then I've had my head throughly buried in the sand, it's time to draw a line in that sand and come up with a plan To dig through the jumble that is my life, to set some goals and get back on track.

I'll be posting every day to keep myself motivated, I've spent the last few days reading diaries on here which have given me a real boost hope you enjoy my random ramblings

Jumblerina
Page 6
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 1st Oct 16, 5:19 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Welcome back.

It is easy to be constantly busy/bustling around with chores, work etc. It's good that you've taken time to reflect on that and are looking to readdress the balance.
    October grocery challenge £115.50/£250 | Emergency £1,000 challenge - £399.44/£1,000 | NSD 5/15
    Credit Card: £209 (0% APR) | Car Finance: £10,674 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £113,243 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £1,457.04
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 1st Oct 16, 6:30 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 4,202 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Welcome back Jumblerina,
    You've made me think about how I use my time too. I used to do a daily post but I'm no longer rigid about that. Perhaps I'll switch to a weekly post? Now I have my DF date and I have good MSE it should be possible...
    DIA x
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=23,322/OCTOBER 2016=15,327 or 34.5% PAID
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 4th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Thanks LL - it's good to have a bit of reflection time hope all is good with you.

Jumblerina xxx
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 4th Oct 16, 1:22 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Thanks DIA it's good to have a bit of flexibility, makes things easier to stick to

Jumblerina xxx
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 4th Oct 16, 1:25 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Technological ooops!
    Good Afternoon Diary,

My quest for a more balanced online life has had an unexpected boost. Sadly it also means I'm going to have to buy a new tablet

My puppy knocked it off the sofa at the weekend and the display is broken it's still slightly usable, as it's just the colours that have gone. Yet after you look at it for a while, it sends your eyes a little crazy! I've had it since Christmas 2011 so I've had good use out of it.

My posts will be a little more brief as I'll have to type them out on my phone.

Luckily I did my weekly review before my tablet got damaged, so I'll post that a little later.

I'm having a good spring clean today, it's a lovely bright, crisp day and it seemed like the perfect day to clean. I'm hoping the Doctor will allow me to go back to work soon.

So I want to make sure everything is clean and tidy, makes it much easier to maintain I'm on my third NSD of the week, I'm going to see my Doctor on Wednesday so there will be bus fares.

I might do a small top up of fresh bread and milk when I go out. Then there are no more planned spends for the rest of the week.

I've really tightened my budget this month so I can be ready for my London trip at the start of November and of course Christmas

Hope you're all having a wonderful day

Jumblerina xxx
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 4th Oct 16, 1:39 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Slightly delayed weekly review
    They do say its better late than never luckily I typed this out before my tablet display was broken!

Saturday 24 September 2016
    Weekly food shop - £61.51
    Bird seed - £19.49

Sunday 25 September 2016
    NSD

Monday 26 September 2016
    NSD

Tuesday 27 September 2016
    NSD

Wednesday 28 September 2016
    £50 - 8 week puppy training course
    £6 - chips for dinner
    £23.16 - Ab@l & Cole

Thursday 29 September 2016
    NSD

Friday 30 September 2016
    £10 - Takeaway
    £50.88 - Petrol

Total weekly spend: £221.04
    NSD: 4/7
    Takeaways eaten: 2/7

What went well this week
    I've not used the Internet this week, with the exception of doing my shopping, I'm not sure how much it's helped me to spend less. I've made real progress in de-cluttering the house with a Welsh dresser going courtesy of a neighbour. I guess it's helped me to focus on what I actually need versus what I want. I got a £5 gift card from M&@ for a poor quality product.

What I've learnt this week
    I've really enjoyed the time away from the barrage of advertising and information you find when watching TV or browsing the Internet. I've just read, exercised, rested and de-cluttered. It's helped me to think more clearly about my long term goals and be less distracted in general.

Review of last weeks goals
    Aim for 4 NSD's
    Make a de-clutter plan
    Review my subscriptions
    Send off my application for my bus pass
    Plan my personal spends to avoid over-spending
    Don't guilt buy for my puppy, it doesn't help me or him - ask for help from OH if I'm not up to walks or play

Next weeks goals
    Aim for 4 NSD's
    Talk to Dr about returning to work and plan for this
    Review my budget
    Work on a plan for eating from the freezer
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 6th Oct 16, 1:37 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Welcome back, I hope you keep up with your posting on here as I have enjoyed your dairy so far.

Oops to the tablet, puppies are so clumsy aren't they. Can you claim on house insurance. Your post has just reminded me that I have yet to get contents insurance so I'm off to look up some prices now.

I too noticed how much time I was spending on my laptop and phone. I've tried to have a cut off time but never seem to stick to it. It's always me saying just 5 more minutes to myself lol.

Tink xx
    LBM 11/08/15 - Total Debt Owing:- £10338.89 01/11/16 - £13996.57 01/12/16 - £13062.92
    DEBT 1 = £1143.93 DEBT 2 = £1073.00 DEBT 3 = £253.38
    DEBT 4 = £725.02 DEBT 5 = £166.10 DEBT 6 £1120.00
    DEBT 7 = £1324.59 DEBT 8 = £6325 DEBT 9 £2656.92
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 6th Oct 16, 4:05 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Thanks for the house insurance idea Tink, didn't think about that I've enjoyed my time offline, got a much better balance. It's still a work in progress at times

Jumblerina xxx
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 6th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Good afternoon Diary,

I'm so happy to be back at work, my Doctor agreed I could go back today

It was lovely to see everyone and get back to a bit of normality! My spending has gone quite well so far this week. Just travel costs and an Ab@l & Cole delivery yesterday.

Today just £1 spent on bus fare home from work. Fantastic local us service run by our local council. Left me seriously considering ditching the car! When my bus pass arrives it would cost just a £1/day to get to work.

The only slight downside is it only runs every 2 hours so would take some re-organising of work hours. Plus I'd have to convince my OH! He's used to my crazy ideas

My arms are aching for puppy class last night! Having a very excitable and increasingly heavy Labrador puppy is better than any gym membership

I'll be doing reduced hours while I build my strength back up. The Doctor wanted me to stay off work for another 2 weeks so we compromised at reduced hours.

Still keeping tabs on my spending using notes on my smartphone. It may not be my nice, organised spreadsheet on my tablet but it's working

I've been asking myself before I buy something whether its a need or want. I've spent so much money on wants and things I've convinced myself I need. The only way to get my debts paid off is to be honest with myself about what I truly need.

Hope you're all having a wonderful day

Jumblerina xxx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Oct 16, 7:48 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 4,202 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Glad to hear you are getting back to work.

Is it just me or do you feel stupidly happy when the A%C delivery turns up?

It sounds like you are doing brilliantly with the decluttering
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 7th Oct 16, 3:41 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Thanks DIA it's a little like Christmas every week

Jumblerina xxx
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 7th Oct 16, 3:57 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Yay - it's Friday!
    Good Afternoon Diary,

It's been a funny old week - I'm glad it's the weekend with time to re-charge.

I've had a little bit of a spendy day - had to take a taxi home from work as my dog walker was ill and I needed to get back quickly (£14.50)

Had to get a new collar and lead for the pup, he's outgrown his old one (£9.20) and a splurge on some raw chocolate brownies and cocoa (£19.50)

I've done well so far with my budget this month and there's room in my personal spend fund plus it's chocolate so I can't feel guilty!

I've got the day to myself tomorrow as my other half is out on a boys day. Going to think of fun and free things I can do. I'll need to walk/train our puppy, thankfully he's really starting to walk much better on his lead. I'm super grateful for this as it's no fun being dragged along by an overzealous puppy

I'm also going to do my weekly spend review

Hope you're all having a fab Friday

Jumblerina xxx
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 8th Oct 16, 6:27 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Weekly Review
    Good Afternoon Diary,

It's that time of the week again where I reflect back on what I spent in the last week.

I've been keeping a track of my spending on my smartphone using the notes function. It's helping me keep track of my spending

Despite my splurge yesterday - I'm on track to meet my budget this month

Saturday 1 October
    Weekly shop £59.35

Sunday 2 October
    NSD

Monday 3 October
    NSD

Tuesday 4 October
    NSD

Wednesday 5 October
    Travel: £7.50 (£4 work expenses)
    Ab@l & Cole: £14.71

Thursday 6 October
    Travel: £1
    New dog collar & lead: £9.20

Friday 7 October
    Travel: £14.50
    Raw chocolate brownies & hot chocolate: £19.45
    Birthday gift for friends baby: £22.57

Total weekly spend: £148.28
    NSD's: 3/7
    Takeaway: 1/7 (paid for by OH)

What went well this week
    Despite going back to work this week and juggling puppy classes, cleaning and organising. I've avoided spending too much - the minor splurge yesterday was under £20.

I've also thought more about travel and avoided taking taxis.

What I've learnt this week
    I caught myself wanting to buy things to meet a need, it's so easy to buy something to fool yourself. Instead of addressing what need you're really trying to meet.

For me - I'm a sucker for spending on things for health and wellbeing. When really - all I need for good health is sleep/rest (free), support of my family and friends (free) and good nutrition (doesn't need to cost the earth!)

Review of last weeks goals
    Aim for 4 NSD's - almost there with 3
    Talk to Dr about returning to work - done and back to work
    Review my budget - difficult with the tablet biting the dust! Have focused on my variable costs such as personal & grocery spends
    Work on a plan for eating from the freezer - done, all meals this week with the exception of tomorrow will be from the freezer

Next weeks goals
    Aim for 4 NSD's
    Continue with the spring clean of the house
    Puppy training sessions - 2x a day, every day
    Take lunches to work
    Stick to my weekly personal spend budget

Hope you all have a great weekend

Jumblerina xxx
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 8th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    How could Toyota help you be more organised?!?
    Good Evening Diary,

After my internet free time earlier this month, I've decided to use my online time more wisely.

One of the key areas of my life I want to work on is my home and organisation I crave a simpler life and like a lot of people I'm realising that stuff = happiness is not the way I want to live.

I've been looking at simple living and minimalism - I came across this really interesting article about how you can approach it using Toyotas 5 S methodology.

I found it really interesting and a real simple approach to getting your home/life in the right space. I'll be following the principles over the coming weeks and will let you all know how I find it

For any of you interested in having a read, you can find the article at www.agileleanlife.com/5s-methodology/

I'll be starting next week with the first S - Sort or Seiri in Japanese. It may take longer than a week, I'll see how it goes

Jumblerina xxx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 4,202 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    A really interesting link Thank you, and well done on a good week
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 9th Oct 16, 7:23 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Sunday, Sunday
    Morning Diary,

It's certainly getting colder out there, glad I've got the boiler service booked for this coming Thursday

Had a lovely time last night, had the house to myself. Turned the tv off, put the candles on and made a mushroom risotto. I've been reading a lot about mindfulness recently and cooking is a perfect was to practise

Even if I did have to stop periodically to entertain my puppy who was a very good kitchen assistant - when he wasn't bringing sticks in from outside

Today is cleaning day in our house, the washing and of course the Sunday roast. I woke up a little snuffly, so going to grab some honey & lemon before I take my puppy out.

Hope you all have a great Sunday

Jumblerina xxx
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 10th Oct 16, 2:06 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Well done on going back to work, hope you take it easy though and at least you compromised with the doc.

You sound like you are doing really well on mindfulness, you will have to let me know how you feel staying away from phones, laptops etc.

Sounds like Sunday's in our house, washing and cleaning then relax.

Tink xx
    LBM 11/08/15 - Total Debt Owing:- £10338.89 01/11/16 - £13996.57 01/12/16 - £13062.92
    DEBT 1 = £1143.93 DEBT 2 = £1073.00 DEBT 3 = £253.38
    DEBT 4 = £725.02 DEBT 5 = £166.10 DEBT 6 £1120.00
    DEBT 7 = £1324.59 DEBT 8 = £6325 DEBT 9 £2656.92
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 10th Oct 16, 2:35 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Thanks Tink I'm really happy to be back at work and getting back into things.

I'm still getting to grips with mindfulness, definitely helps with less digital distractions I'll keep you posted.

Hope you had a lovely Sunday and chance to relax after the chores were done

Jumblerina xxx
    • Jumblerina
    • By Jumblerina 10th Oct 16, 2:59 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Jumblerina
    Having a Monday!
    Good Afternoon Diary,

Today has been an interesting one so far! I woke up with a bit of a headache, luckily I'm doing reduced hours at work and I was home by lunch.

I was running late this morning and didn't have time for breakfast. I got some granola and yogurt at work.

Our heating is broken, up until this morning we had hot water too and now - completely kaput I'm so glad it's guaranteed and doubly so that I managed to get an appointment with an engineer tomorrow.

It's pretty cold at the moment so I'm snuggled up in my warm clothes and a hot water bottle my puppy has also joined me and is proving to be a little hot water bottle!

I've cancelled my boiler service, so £80 is winging its way to me there will be no charge for the engineer to fix with the boiler.

Monday has tried it's best to challenge me but I'm still smiling. I'll working from home tomorrow so I'm in for the appointment. It's a great opportunity for me to get organised and write a plan for getting back up to speed at work

Hope Monday is going well for you all

Jumblerina xxx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Oct 16, 6:00 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 4,202 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Glad to see all is sounding positive with you Jumblerina despite the broken boiler
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

2,186Users online

Martin's Twitter