Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 28th Aug 16, 11:44 AM
    • 3,095Posts
    • 25,834Thanks
    shala_moo
    Be Lean for Halloween with Slimming World
    • 28th Aug 16, 11:44 AM
    Be Lean for Halloween with Slimming World 28th Aug 16 at 11:44 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Food Optimising is a plan for life, it is not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you have been doing in the past has not got you to where you want to be.

You cannot use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising and Choose Success books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Anything that’s Free Food on Green OR Original – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables – is totally Free on Extra Easy!

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Mortgage = £166,050£127,605.61
    Mortgage Offset % = 23.52%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Aug 2027
    SW target - 54lb/29lb
Page 58
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 18th Oct 16, 10:56 PM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 11,965 Thanks
    greentiger
    Hi TIE, my heart goes out to you. In my previous life, I was DHT responsible for the management of a unit for children with moderate learning difficulties (among many other things, of course) in our school, When it opened it was fine, but then the mld bit went by the board and we started to take in children with much more severe difficulties, then behavioural difficulties - and all this with a presumption of mainstream integration! Teachers, SAs (and kids) were not adequately supported - and there wasn't a thing I could do about it. It was demoralising. I loved my job, I did find it very stressful - and I didn't realise how badly it was affecting me until I was off with breast cancer. I retired on ill health grounds. So, TIE, take all time you need to get yourself sorted. If you want/need to go back, make sure you're in good health and in the right frame of mind. It's a job that needs all your energies.
    [COLOR=Red]Stashbusting lost track!
    16 in 16 Challenge 15/16
    weight loss September/October 0lbs/9lbs
    Reading Challenge 22/40
    Film Challenge 38/52
    • Matron Midge
    • By Matron Midge 19th Oct 16, 7:46 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,937 Thanks
    Matron Midge
    It was £1.50 last fridays in Sainsburys Denise x
    Originally posted by blue_eyed_girl
    And it is lovely! I bought it for the children and now the weather is cold it is a perfect warmer uperer after a dog walk
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 19th Oct 16, 8:49 AM
    • 6,982 Posts
    • 35,488 Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    Lush- we are off on a caravan hols next week and I've decided to try and be as good as possible without spoiling the hols. I've done a Sainsburys order with things like we bread, salad and eggs. We will probably eat out most evenings, but at least lunches and breakfasts will be OK. I'm also hoping to lose weight this wk to balance out any I put on next wk lol. I weighed Mondays so won't weigh now til after hols as have holiday booked next wk.

TIE - big hugs for you. I'm a teacher too, but in a prison. I work with young offenders up to age 18. I am not planning on going back post maternity leaveunless I absolutely have too. Of the 11 member staff team, 4 are currently off with stress/anxiety, 2 have left and I'm on baby leave yet they've not replaced anyone! And they wonder why staff are going off with stress. Unbelievable. Oh and we didn't have a manager for 8months, then we've had 2 different ones in 5mths!

Yesterday's meals:

B - omelette with veg, beans, wholemeal toast heb with butter 4syns.
    L - pasta n sauce, cheese hea
    D - oven chips 5 syns, eggs, beans, ketchup 3syns.
    Snacks - fruit, alpens heb, jelly 1syn, lf creme fraiche 2syns
    Milk hea

Total 15syns.
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 19th Oct 16, 8:53 AM
    • 6,982 Posts
    • 35,488 Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    Does anyone know if any of the Sainsburys cereal bars are a healthy extra? I know Aldi ones can be but we don't have room in car to take food with us on hols so are doing a click n collect shop for when we get there!

• Lois Lane
    • By Lois Lane 19th Oct 16, 11:46 AM
    • 3,233 Posts
    • 12,414 Thanks
    Lois Lane
    Morning all

This is the first chance I've had to catch up on the thread this morning, we've been busy!

Yesterday was a much better day, the angel voice won this time and I've got my determination back so today is going to be good too. Both will be SP days - we decided against lunch in Morissons and had scrambled egg, beans, mushrooms and tomatoes (all free) at home. Lunch today is going to be similar but with fried aubergine instead of beans, and fried eggs instead of scrambled. Dinner will be HB fish pie with vegetables.

TIE - take care of yourself and as others have said, don't go back to work until you're properly fit. I think employers are crazy not to pick up on issues that people are having to offer them support before things get to this stage. I worry about my DS, he works long hours and is struggling, but gets no sympathy or support from his employers. Their response is to 'work harder'.

Flutterby - have a lovely holiday. You're doing well to plan ahead and keep things flexible so that you're not being a diet bore.

Have a good day everyone.

LL
    • Matron Midge
    • By Matron Midge 19th Oct 16, 12:22 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,937 Thanks
    Matron Midge
    - 1LB for me and I'm a target member!
    It's official! I'm going to stay at target (if I can) until the new year and then decide if I'm going to try and get that ever elusive half stone off. Oh, the relief.
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 19th Oct 16, 12:30 PM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 12,498 Thanks
    wizkid1
    Hi, this is my menu for today...

Breakfast.. overnight oats B. + blueberries.

Lunch.. mushroom soup. Half ham salad sandwich 3 Syns. Apple

Dinner.. cod fish fillet slimming world wedges garden peas. Clementine

Extra 2 Ryvita 3 Syns ff yoghurt.
    Last edited by wizkid1; 19-10-2016 at 6:34 PM. Reason: Changing chicken for Fish
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 19th Oct 16, 1:40 PM
    • 4,452 Posts
    • 29,318 Thanks
    joedenise
    It was £1.50 last fridays in Sainsburys Denise x
    Originally posted by blue_eyed_girl
    Unfortunately Sainsbury's is even further than Asda! but did make it this morning and bought 2 bottles - just hope I like it now!

Congratulations MM on getting to target. Now comes the hard bit - staying there!

Today's plan is back to EE again:

B - scrambled eggs on toast
    L - LO Louisana red bean rice with sweet & sour sauce*
    D - shepherds pie using the savoury mince I made last week

HEA - milk
    HEB - bread
    Syns - 0.5 for cornflour in sauce; not sure what else

it was OK but a bit bland last night so I made some Sweet & Sour sauce to stir through it - certainly improved it. Didn't make the full amount of the recipe but still managed dinner last night, lunch today and another lunch portion will go into the freezer so certainly

It's WI for me tomorrow morning and hoping I've done enough to get a good loss. I've been far better with the syns this week than usual, LOL!

Denise
    Last edited by joedenise; 19-10-2016 at 1:43 PM.
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 19th Oct 16, 3:53 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 25,834 Thanks
    shala_moo
    Just lost my big post...

in summary.. hugs to everyone who needs one xx there are a lot of unsupportive employers out there it seems.

- 1LB for me and I'm a target member!
    It's official! I'm going to stay at target (if I can) until the new year and then decide if I'm going to try and get that ever elusive half stone off. Oh, the relief.
    Originally posted by Matron Midge

well done Matron Midge

I've popped you on the roll of honour..

This a list of all our lovely SW-ers that have reached target!

They have a wealth of knowledge, having been there, done it, and bought the smaller t-shirt so please feel free to ask them (and us) questions!

Maman - target member for 5 years
    Take It Easy - target member for 10 years
    Meg72 - target member since 2015
    Tweets - target member since Aug 15
    JoeDenise - target member for 5 years
    Blue_Eyed_Girl - target member since May 2016
    Arkers - target member since June 2016
    MrsP1987 - target member since August 2016
    Debjay - target member since August 2016
    Beanielou - target member since October 2016
    Matron Midge - target member since October 2016
    Originally posted by shala_moo
    Mortgage = £166,050£127,605.61
    Mortgage Offset % = 23.52%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Aug 2027
    SW target - 54lb/29lb
    • candyapple
    • By candyapple 19th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 3,535 Thanks
    candyapple
    STS for me this week please ugh

Very annoyed with myself due to self sabotaging again, only had 2 proper days where I ate SW friendly and no cheating so no surprise really. I might opt out of the next challenge (not cos I'm sulking or anything having gained weight ) but I feel that not having a target to aim for might relax my mindset a bit.

Congrats MM on hitting your target and well done any losers this week

Don't think I've said it earlier but welcome back BEG and Tete

Huge hugs TIE I can't even imagine what it's like for you, but as others have said take care of yourself first, I hope the break from work does you good.

Love to all, have a good week
    xx

• lushlifesaver
    • By lushlifesaver 19th Oct 16, 4:38 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 16,775 Thanks
    lushlifesaver
    I think you're amazing to manage your finances so well lush. I bet there aren't many people who can plan a beautiful wedding and a family holiday and come out of it with just a few pounds owing. It really is a small budget left over each month though. Will it improve when littlie turns three? I like your idea of challenging yourself with the money, food and Body Magic. I seem to only have SP meals by accident (like omelettes and soups) but I suppose they all count.
    Originally posted by maman

aw thanks maman not really as we will still need some childcare - husband pays most of the bills. our tax credits should go up a little by the end of next year after finishing paying back an overpayment and we get childcare tax credits that we just have to top up.

I've never purposely tried SP but I think t would help me a lot. I'm also going to back cook some SP stews/cottage pies/etc and freeze in portions just for me when the other two are eating a more syn heavy meal

today has not been brilliant
    breakfast 2 cups of tea (milk from hea) and a toasted bagel thin (6.5)
    mid morning: can of lilt (no sugar version so free) alpen light (half heb)
    2pm ish rocky road hifi light (second half heb)
    3.20pm chow mein mugshot (free - and flipping gorgeous!)
    tea later will be cottage pie with cauli and carrots. allowing 6 syns because I can't remember what mince it is and will add a little gravy but I am sharing it with littlie to get the veg in
    will top up on fluids tonight at home. as I am dehydrated and feeling it!

little one starts 8 weeks of gymnastics (1 session a week) on Monday and the sessions are 30-45 minutes ish so I am going to see what I can do during that time to up my activity too/will join in
    Perfect Princess born 26/03/14 <3
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 19th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 11,965 Thanks
    greentiger
    Wow and double Wow, Midge. That is fantastic!

Forgot to post yesterday – probably just as well as we were celebrating daughter’s 40th “en famille”. Today’s will be my last post until Monday as DD and I are off to Rome in the morning.

Breakfast: hexb Oat Crisp, splash milk, banana
    Snack: choc ginger biscuit (4)
    Lunch: hm leek & potato soup, Milbona ff strawberry yogurt
    Snack: caramel Snackajack (2½ )
    Dinner: chilli & ginger chicken stir fry, red pepper, sugar snap peas, noodles (5)
    Snack: rest of hexa cheese & grapes

Syns used: 11½ Syns saved: 3½ Syns carried forward: 0 Syns balance: 3½

See you all again on Monday – when the WI scales will be groaning, no doubt! (I will probably be eavesdropping in the meantime.)
    [COLOR=Red]Stashbusting lost track!
    16 in 16 Challenge 15/16
    weight loss September/October 0lbs/9lbs
    Reading Challenge 22/40
    Film Challenge 38/52
    • maman
    • By maman 19th Oct 16, 7:40 PM
    • 15,031 Posts
    • 88,619 Thanks
    maman
    congratulations midge and welcome to the target sofa.

Arrivederci greentiger. If you should stray near Milan or catch a tv screen in a bar do give us a cheer tomorrow night. We've got 7000 fans going but I'm not one of them.

Glad the angel is in the lead lois.

I don't think any Sainsbury own brand cereal bars are HEB flutterby but they do sell Alpen Lights which are 2 for a HEB.

I've been good this week but I don't feel as if I've lost anything. Jeans felt tight all day as if they were poking fun at me. Maybe it's going to take more than a week to get back into range. I'm going to WI in the morning and if I have to pay then I'll just have to live with it. It's not so much the £5 but it means I'll have to be good all next week too!

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, baked beans 0.5 HEB toast, HEA milk for drinks
    L: ham, tomato, beetroot, cornichons, cottage cheese
    D: chicken jambalaya (peppers, onions, carrots, courgettes, mushrooms, tomatoes)
    Syns: I put 2 frankfurters in with the jambalaya and had my share. 3.5 syns for a sausage!!

I can have an Alpen Light with a cuppa later as half a HEB left.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 19th Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    • 4,452 Posts
    • 29,318 Thanks
    joedenise
    :
    I've been good this week but I don't feel as if I've lost anything. Jeans felt tight all day as if they were poking fun at me. Maybe it's going to take more than a week to get back into range. I'm going to WI in the morning and if I have to pay then I'll just have to live with it. It's not so much the £5 but it means I'll have to be good all next week too!
    Originally posted by maman
    I know I'm going to have to pay again tomorrow as there's no way I'll have lost 3lb in a week which is what I need to do to get back to top end of target!

Going to be a bit more difficult this week as away for a long weekend in the motorhome starting tomorrow afternoon! So I'll be good when I can and careful when I can't!

Denise
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Oct 16, 9:41 PM
    • 44,867 Posts
    • 155,465 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great result Matron Midge
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 19th Oct 16, 11:03 PM
    • 6,982 Posts
    • 35,488 Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    Well done Matron Midge.

Meals today:

B - scrambled egg, tin spaghetti, wholemeal toast heb with butter 2syns. Ketchup 1syn.
    L - couscous with leftover roast veg
    Dinner - wrap 8syns, salad, veg, micro rice 1.5syns, lf sour cream 3syns, cheese hea x 2
    Snacks - fruit, crisps 4syns
    Milk hea
    19.5syns.

• Prudent
    • By Prudent 20th Oct 16, 7:56 AM
    • 11,100 Posts
    • 46,199 Thanks
    Prudent
    Hi TIE, my heart goes out to you. In my previous life, I was DHT responsible for the management of a unit for children with moderate learning difficulties (among many other things, of course) in our school, When it opened it was fine, but then the mld bit went by the board and we started to take in children with much more severe difficulties, then behavioural difficulties - and all this with a presumption of mainstream integration! Teachers, SAs (and kids) were not adequately supported - and there wasn't a thing I could do about it. It was demoralising. I loved my job, I did find it very stressful - and I didn't realise how badly it was affecting me until I was off with breast cancer. I retired on ill health grounds. So, TIE, take all time you need to get yourself sorted. If you want/need to go back, make sure you're in good health and in the right frame of mind. It's a job that needs all your energies.
    Originally posted by greentiger
    So sorry to hear that. That kind of stress really takes a toll over time. There are just too many people with a similar story. I spent most of my career teaching pupils complex special needs and spent some of it working at a residential school for behavioural issues which is considered 'the end of the line' in Scotland. Over the years my health steadily went downhill too and I took ill health retirement this summer at 50. I miss my pupils and colleagues a lot. I do not miss the politics, paperwork and pointless meetings.

It is my time to look after myself now. I am enjoying SW as it feels like 'me' time after all these years. I also swim, do yoga and pilates, go long walks and do some of the classes like salsasize. My am trying to get fit enough and be slim enough to start horse riding again.
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 20th Oct 16, 8:10 AM
    • 11,100 Posts
    • 46,199 Thanks
    Prudent
    Flutterby and Joedenise enjoy your breaks away. I am away too, off to a holiday cottage in Aviemore.

Midge that is great It must feel great to be a target member. The thought of paying £5 would keep me on my toes. A huge to all the target members on here.

Maman I was in Home Bargains yesterday and they had the Alpen light at 19p. I am not sure if this is a good price for you or not as I never buy them.

It is weigh in day for me today and the Christmas taster session. I have made the SW recipe for Baileys Cheesecake. I made it yesterday afternoon just after I got back from the dentist. I had a filling and my mouth was still numb so naughty tasters It took a while to set, so hoping it won't be too runny.
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 20th Oct 16, 8:18 AM
    • 11,100 Posts
    • 46,199 Thanks
    Prudent
    Evening all
    Can't remember what I've said already but after having a panic attack at Drs Friday, I had 2 in quick succession on Sunday (probably continuation of 1st instead of separate ones). Long story short, now signed off and on meds .
    I really want to go to my Head and Senco and say 'see! I told you my anxiety was bad ). Signed off for week but with half term it's 2 so hopefully meds will kick in before I go back. Not that keen on meds as last lot made me gain weight, Dr has promised me these won't and I'm holding her to it
    Can't believe the relief I feel not having to go to work just got to avoid the kitchen except meal times! Wish me luck
    Originally posted by TakeItEazy
    Please look after yourself and do try the meds. I had weight gain with meds too, but you can always take the weight off again afterwards. Better to be on the meds and enjoy a bit of your half term. I found swimming and yoga really helpful, but although good even they were not enough in the end to counteract school stress.

Big hugs from me.
    • BettyBoof
    • By BettyBoof 20th Oct 16, 8:56 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    BettyBoof
    Congratulations Matron Midge that's wonderful!

Glad yoyu've got some time off TIE, I hope it gives you the break you need.

Enjoy your hols Flutterby, Joedenise and Prudent!
    £1000 Emergency fund #120 = £650 (65%)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

275Posts Today

1,339Users online

Martin's Twitter