Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 28th Aug 16, 11:44 AM
    • 3,090Posts
    • 25,812Thanks
    shala_moo
    Be Lean for Halloween with Slimming World
    • 28th Aug 16, 11:44 AM
    Be Lean for Halloween with Slimming World 28th Aug 16 at 11:44 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Food Optimising is a plan for life, it is not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you have been doing in the past has not got you to where you want to be.

You cannot use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising and Choose Success books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Anything that’s Free Food on Green OR Original – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables – is totally Free on Extra Easy!

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Mortgage = £166,050£128,839.49
    Mortgage Offset % = 20.81%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Mar 2028
    SW target - 54lb/29lb
Page 57
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 18th Oct 16, 10:26 AM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 29,284 Thanks
    joedenise
    Congratulations rjhammond on SOTW.

You seemed so determined yesterday LL that the angel was going to win, pity it was the devil! The only thing I can say is that at least you enjoyed the naughty stuff. It's far worse when you go off plan and then don't enjoy it. Draw the line and get back on plan today. You can lose some more weight over the next couple of weeks to catch up a bit with the challenge.

Having a Green day today for a change:

B - marmite on toast (HEB1)
    L - HM carrot & corriander soup; 1 slice WM crustless - part HEB2
    D - Louisana red bean rice - it's a recipe from the Free Food Feasts book. This is a new recipe for me but it looks a bit like a spicy risotto but made with ordinary rice so not creamy - hope that makes sense

I'll probably have an Alpen Light with a cuppa this evening for the rest of HEB2.

HEA will be milk as usual.

Have a good day everyone.

Denise
    • gingerfurball
    • By gingerfurball 18th Oct 16, 10:34 AM
    • 359 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    gingerfurball
    Hello all - missed out on the chart this week due to no interrwebs...it was a STS which I was quite happy with considering all the celebrating we did last weekend (which did include a home made lemon meringue pie and haagan daz ice cream and two ,meals out and a take away!!) *phew*

I'm starting training with a PT today - it's in a bodybuiding gym so it will be lots of weights...hopefully gently to begin with as still recuperating from my broken elbow (progress - I started driving without pain yesterday which is such a relief...having to wait on people to drive me every where or waiting on taxis has been very frustrating)

We've been making our own lunches these days (mainly because we found out that the deli we normally buy our salads got a 3 on the hygiene scale!! yikes!!) so food has been good...going to Spanish class tonight (if any one has been thinking about doing something like this DO IT!! it's been so much fun!!) so we batch cook on a monday and this does us two nights - we made spicy ginger and chilli turkey - with green beans and a little rice for me...so yummy!

Well done to SOTW and thaks again for the chart Shala
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 18th Oct 16, 10:51 AM
    • 6,584 Posts
    • 29,217 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Ah the little Colombian boy! I deffo need to listen to the 'Angel in my heart' more

Shala - hope the cat is OK, they're a nightmare aren't they?

Some great tips being shared yesterday - thanks Flutterby for the spinach one, I almost never buy salad because living alone makes it impossible to eat before it goes brown. I tend to just have grated carrot with cucumber and tomatoes.

I must confess to eating a Wispa Gold I found in the cupboard last night

Have done a freezer inventory and meal plan for the week, I onlt need to buy a few bits and won't have to do much cooking.

Today:
    B - Alpen light
    D - Bacon, mushroom, tomato and tinned potato fried scrambled omelette thing
    T - SW pork ragu from freezer with carrot and swede mash

Managed a normal night's sleep last night after a few days of jet lag, but full of cold - wahhh!
    Get Slinky for Santa Challenge: 3/11 (7/40 in total)
    *Currently reading: H is for Hawk (18/25 in 2016)
    My 'Life Begins at 35' diary *click*
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 18th Oct 16, 10:54 AM
    • 6,584 Posts
    • 29,217 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Ginger - good luck wth the PT! I'm teaching a Spanish class tonight, it's not you is it?!
    • maman
    • By maman 18th Oct 16, 11:20 AM
    • 14,994 Posts
    • 88,450 Thanks
    maman
    So decorating went a bit wrong today - the cat jumped on my freshly glossed windowsill so I had to chase him down, lock him in the bathroom and scrub his paws clean!
    Originally posted by shala_moo

Hope you get more luck with the decorating today shala.

to b_e_g and mrsp on your losses. One day I'll join you at the bottom of the range.

Today:
    B - Alpen light
    Originally posted by Tete en l'Air

arkers, I don't think there's a huge difference between tortilla, frittata or crustless quiche. I'm sure you could bake it in a quiche dish. I suppose it depends whether it's for your own consumption or whether you need to impress. I make mine on the hob and finish off under the grill so it ends up a bit like the 'thing' that tete's having for dinner. It tastes good although can often turn out a bit of a hash (literally and metaphorically).

prudent, I've introduced hot Ribena this week to help me keep within my HEA allowance. Or you could try fruit teas or speciality ones like Earl Grey that are meant to be black. Did you really have a 400g apple yesterday?

Thanks for the reminder about spinach flutterby, very useful stuff.

I'm going to concoct something with sausages tonight as I have things I want to use up and don't want to have gravy. I'm still feeling just the same as I did last week so no miraculous weightloss seems to be happening. Anyhow, I'll plod on and it'll come right in the end.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, 0.5 HEB toast, 2 fried eggs, mushrooms, tomato, HEA milk for drinks
    L: JP with cottage cheese, beetroot and cornichons
    D: sausage tray bake (onions, potatoes, tomatoes, garlic, peppers, carrots) with cauli and broccoli
    Syns: 2 for BGTY sausages
    0.5 HEB left for Benefit bar with a cuppa if fancy it tonight.
    • lushlifesaver
    • By lushlifesaver 18th Oct 16, 11:25 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 16,773 Thanks
    lushlifesaver
    Also wondering what people do about setting a goal on a holiday week? I am off on holiday at the weekend for a week.
    Originally posted by Prudent

For a holiday week I sit down and consider what type of holiday it is and catering arrangements etc then decide - if its a week in our caravan I aim for a STS/1lb loss. For the honeymoon I said a gain of up to 6lb as I wasn't going to spent my first all inc/family abroad holiday/only honeymoon counting syns and wanted to just enjoy ice creams with little one and indulge in the food as husband is so picky its unreal therefore I got to try a lot of new foods/things he'd hate to have in the house with less pain

today:
    morning: 2 cups of tea with milk from hea
    breakfast: apple and alpen light (1/2 heb)
    mid morning: mocha (1 tsp instant coffee plus 1 tsp options hot choc and mil from hea) counting 2 syns to be safe
    lunch: homemade leek and tatie soup (free) plus a pear, free aldi yogurts (mint and dark choc)
    mid afternoon: cupshotz (aldi, chicken flavour - free) if really peckish plus a hifi light (2nd 1/2 heb)
    tea: chicken with bacon and sweet potato plus cauliflower, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes - no cheese for me today
    drinks: water, warm Ribena winter spice, tea

rugby weekend went well - helped a lot taking breakfast cakes with me however lunch was provided (didn't know until we got there) and the nearest supermarket I couldn't get to so syns galore there. they also had an evening do which was pie and peas so me and littlie shared but still syns

back on it though. seem to have spent a small fortune on extra pull ups this month (potty training goes well at home. not so well at nursery...that or they eat them) and am now left short. Plenty of meat/options for the others. Do have plenty of rice/pasta as a non chips options for me but light on salady speed.

Pay day is Monday (technically Tuesday but finance manager likes to do it a day early) so plan is as long as it's clicked over in the bank then I'll go do the main shop (going to write a list this weekend) then Thursday I'm buying my countdown etc at group so will be racing towards Christmas. Need to find a way to be more accountable about little things that creep in - I think the best plan is I will only carry cash (not my debit card - unless I know we need something more costly) and will have £20 to last the month for incidental spends. It's hubbys birthday rather than buy loads of tat I'm getting him a new games console and a box set of the big bang theory then I'll do him a stash box of treats (£10-15) and tell him it has to last until Christmas! for Christmas he's getting a new game (limited edition set) another dvd box set, pjs, and a board game/activity. I've told him not to go crazy like he usually does I'd just like a couple of make up bits (<£30) and some new pjs we'll se ehow much he listens though haha
    Perfect Princess born 26/03/14 <3
    • gingerfurball
    • By gingerfurball 18th Oct 16, 12:20 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    gingerfurball
    Ginger - good luck wth the PT! I'm teaching a Spanish class tonight, it's not you is it?!
    Is your name Arnie? lol
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 18th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 6,584 Posts
    • 29,217 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Is your name Arnie? lol
    Originally posted by gingerfurball
    Ha, no but I wish it was Would love to hear the kinds of activities you do, although I have loads of teaching resources but I'm finding my feet in adult ed and am never sure what will go down well.

I must admit I was worried when I saw Maman had highlighted my lunch!
    • maman
    • By maman 18th Oct 16, 1:43 PM
    • 14,994 Posts
    • 88,450 Thanks
    maman

I must admit I was worried when I saw Maman had highlighted my lunch!
    Nothing to worry about, I just recognised the sort of omelette I turn out.

Wow! You're really well organised lush and you're spoiling that husband of yours!

I looked up the red slaw Shala and it's part of a deli toppers range by Batters. There's a spicy one and a red onion too. On offer in Sainsbury's so I'm going to give them a try.
    • rjhammond91
    • By rjhammond91 18th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    rjhammond91
    I'd like to happily report a STS this week! Can't be angry about it when I did gorge a bit yesterday!

I'm on it this week! I don't think there's anything to stop me behaving!
    • meg72
    • By meg72 18th Oct 16, 2:13 PM
    • 4,512 Posts
    • 42,084 Thanks
    meg72
    Ah the little Colombian boy! I deffo need to listen to the 'Angel in my heart' more

Shala - hope the cat is OK, they're a nightmare aren't they?

Some great tips being shared yesterday - thanks Flutterby for the spinach one, I almost never buy salad because living alone makes it impossible to eat before it goes brown. I tend to just have grated carrot with cucumber and tomatoes.

I must confess to eating a Wispa Gold I found in the cupboard last night

Have done a freezer inventory and meal plan for the week, I onlt need to buy a few bits and won't have to do much cooking.

Today:
    B - Alpen light

Managed a normal night's sleep last night after a few days of jet lag, but full of cold - wahhh!
    Lol just loved your description of your scrambled omelette thing, sounds like my kind of meal.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 18th Oct 16, 3:23 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 29,284 Thanks
    joedenise
    Been shopping this morning and tried to get the Ribena Winter Spice and can't believe that Tesco don't stock it! Asda have got it on special offer at the moment @ £1.50 a bottle instead of the usual £2.49.

Will need to make a special trip tomorrow as it's in the opposite direction to Tesco's, typically!

Looking forward to trying it. Years since I've had hot blackcurrant - used to have it as a teenager in the old Wimpey Bar (showing my age now!)!

Denise
    • lushlifesaver
    • By lushlifesaver 18th Oct 16, 3:23 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 16,773 Thanks
    lushlifesaver

Wow! You're really well organised lush and you're spoiling that husband of yours!.
    Originally posted by maman
    I try to be - I have to admit I ended up getting an over draft (£100) a couple of months ago and I need to get rid of it and I also have an account with Studio that I bought some holiday clothes on as I desperately needed them and couldn't find any in any stores. I have worked out if I save £100 less than usual this month (usually save about £325 per month in two accounts - a personal one and a joint; I'll not add to my personal one for two months) then I should be able to get Studio paid off and also hopefully half my overdraft if not get rid of it completely.

I'm desperate to be back on top finances wise - I had to up the amount going in to joint savings to £200 when OH wasn't selected for Rio to cover the income he was going to lose from his athlete funding but have found it hard to adjust to so little truly disposable income (under £90 a month now which after SW, a copy of the magazine, a strip of raffle tickets at each group and maybe a coffee or a breakfast out and OHs weekly chip shop tea doesn't leave a busting amount for incidentals/replacing clothes/shoes etc!)

I'm trying not to spoil him so much as truth be told I miss out on a lot to appease him which is mad as he's a grown man (and I'd rather be spending my money on littlie!) really want to challenge myself so I think I'll do a 7 day (non essential) spending fast and also probably do a one month food/exercise based challenge too - maybe a 3 SP days a week plus 1hr of zumba twice a week type thing in November to properly get back on the straight.

I have added another 2 syn mocha and also a cookie at a whopping 6 syns. SIX. that's ridiculous. but anyway syns done for the day as no syns in my evening meal and no snacking tonight
    Perfect Princess born 26/03/14 <3
    • TakeItEazy
    • By TakeItEazy 18th Oct 16, 5:34 PM
    • 2,057 Posts
    • 13,748 Thanks
    TakeItEazy
    Evening all
    Can't remember what I've said already but after having a panic attack at Drs Friday, I had 2 in quick succession on Sunday (probably continuation of 1st instead of separate ones). Long story short, now signed off and on meds .
    I really want to go to my Head and Senco and say 'see! I told you my anxiety was bad ). Signed off for week but with half term it's 2 so hopefully meds will kick in before I go back. Not that keen on meds as last lot made me gain weight, Dr has promised me these won't and I'm holding her to it
    Can't believe the relief I feel not having to go to work just got to avoid the kitchen except meal times! Wish me luck
    Its not what you do but the way that you do it, thats what get results
    Keep the Faith All

Heartbroken 12.12.13
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Oct 16, 5:36 PM
    • 44,812 Posts
    • 155,220 Thanks
    beanielou
    TIE~~I have no words.
    I think that it is truly shocking that it has come to this.
    Take care of you..
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • maman
    • By maman 18th Oct 16, 6:45 PM
    • 14,994 Posts
    • 88,450 Thanks
    maman
    TIE~~I have no words.
    I think that it is truly shocking that it has come to this.
    Take care of you..
    Originally posted by beanielou

I know what you mean beanie but sadly I'm not shocked. I see it in schools all too often.

I'm pleased, delighted even, that the GP has signed you off tie. I think you should go back next week and if you're not feeling 100% then you should be signed off for longer. When you do go back to work insist on a return interview where you can tell them what's led to this.

Just come on here in the day if you find yourself trying to snack. We'll keep you on the straight and narrow.

Our makeshift dinner turned out really delicious. It was roughly based on the root veg tray bake from last month's magazine but with just what I had in so a few tweaks. I used carrots, red and white onions, garlic cloves and potatoes and thyme instead of rosemary then cauli and broccoli on the side. I also remembered I had a tiny bit of HB gravy left from Sunday in the fridge so we had that too. It made a difference from sausage and mash.

I think you're amazing to manage your finances so well lush. I bet there aren't many people who can plan a beautiful wedding and a family holiday and come out of it with just a few pounds owing. It really is a small budget left over each month though. Will it improve when littlie turns three? I like your idea of challenging yourself with the money, food and Body Magic. I seem to only have SP meals by accident (like omelettes and soups) but I suppose they all count.
    • orlao
    • By orlao 18th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    orlao
    Evening all,

-.5lbs please Shala. 1.5lbs to target and I'm determined to do that next week - famous last works or what???

After all my angsting last week about whether to drop the target, I've decided to stick with it for now and concentrate on staying there once I get there...

Hope all are well and carry on plodding/speeding or in my case trudging to a slimmer life.
    • blue_eyed_girl
    • By blue_eyed_girl 18th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    • 3,375 Posts
    • 29,205 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl
    Been shopping this morning and tried to get the Ribena Winter Spice and can't believe that Tesco don't stock it! Asda have got it on special offer at the moment @ £1.50 a bottle instead of the usual £2.49.

Will need to make a special trip tomorrow as it's in the opposite direction to Tesco's, typically!

Looking forward to trying it. Years since I've had hot blackcurrant - used to have it as a teenager in the old Wimpey Bar (showing my age now!)!

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    It was £1.50 last fridays in Sainsburys Denise x
    SPC NO 041

STARTED SW 04/14 - TARGET 05/16 - TOTAL LOSS 10ST 3.5LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Oct 16, 9:56 PM
    • 44,812 Posts
    • 155,220 Thanks
    beanielou
    It was £1.50 last fridays in Sainsburys Denise x
    Originally posted by blue_eyed_girl
    Thanks b e g.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 18th Oct 16, 10:15 PM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 12,448 Thanks
    wizkid1
    Hi this is my today's menu...

Breakfast.. porridge A/B raspberries blueberries

Lunch. Mushroom soup ( onions leek carrot mushrooms ) 1 Rivita 1.5 Syns

Dinner. Soup as lunch. Half Ham salad sandwich 3 Syns clementine

Extra. 1 Ryvita 1.5 Syns
    6 Syns
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

412Posts Today

2,652Users online

Martin's Twitter