Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 28th Aug 16, 11:44 AM
    • 3,095Posts
    • 25,828Thanks
    shala_moo
    Be Lean for Halloween with Slimming World
    • 28th Aug 16, 11:44 AM
    Be Lean for Halloween with Slimming World 28th Aug 16 at 11:44 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Food Optimising is a plan for life, it is not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you have been doing in the past has not got you to where you want to be.

You cannot use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising and Choose Success books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Anything that’s Free Food on Green OR Original – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables – is totally Free on Extra Easy!

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Mortgage = £166,050£127,605.61
    Mortgage Offset % = 23.52%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Aug 2027
    SW target - 54lb/29lb
Page 56
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 17th Oct 16, 7:18 PM
    • 11,097 Posts
    • 46,094 Thanks
    Prudent
    Great loss Flutterby and thank you for the offer of help . I feel a bit better today having split my HEA to allow some cheese. I might just need to wean myself off milk in tea.

greentiger we are planning on doing the mountain railway one of the days. I am just hoping the weather is reasonable as there is so much that I want to do. I would also like to visit the reindeer herd, the wildlife park, go on the steam railway plus all the outdoor activities. Plenty of body magic if the weather holds!

Eating felt a bit easier today.

B. overnight oats. HEB I enjoyed this recipe and have stocked up on frozen berries and 0% yoghurt today.

L. Baked potato with a pepper and bean chilli, salad and half HEA in grated cheese. A pear.

D. Quorn spag bol, pasta and salad. Baked apple with 0% yoghurt 6 syns. I might have a wee treat later.
    Last edited by Prudent; 17-10-2016 at 7:22 PM.
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 17th Oct 16, 7:19 PM
    • 6,982 Posts
    • 35,488 Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    Well done mrsp!

Maman - I buy spinach rather than salad leaves and find this lasts much longer, up to two weeks in fridge. I can use it in salads as leaves or cooked.
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 17th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 4,447 Posts
    • 29,298 Thanks
    joedenise
    squishy - Maman has already suggested some things you can batch cook but anything which reheats OK, or can be eaten cold, can be frozen. At this time of year things like soups & casseroles, which you can get loads of Speed veg into.

I make quite a lot of curries, both meat & veggie which freeze well. The spices seem to intensify when frozen so you might want to make them slightly milder than usual if you're going to be freezing them.

I don't know if you know but you can also freeze jacket potatoes, so you could cook a load when you have the oven on for something else and then cool, wrap & freeze. A great emergency meal which you can microwave from frozen if you need to although I prefer to defrost and reheat in the oven whenever possible. Don't forget to add some salad on the side for Speed!

Have a look in the freezers at the supermarket and see if there is anything that inspires you to have a go at and then freeze yourself. HTH.

Denise
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 17th Oct 16, 7:21 PM
    • 6,982 Posts
    • 35,488 Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    Meals today

B - banana, 2 x alpen light heb
    L - big salad, 8 syns for coleslaw and potato salad
    D - roast veg and quorn sausages 2 syns.
    Snacks - mini roll 5.5syns, cheese hea x 2. Wholemeal bread heb 2 syns for butter.

• squishylove1989
    • By squishylove1989 17th Oct 16, 7:37 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    squishylove1989
    Joedenise thank you for those ideas, did not know you could freeze jackets! Will certainly do that in future. Do they take long to cook once defrosted?

I love a good curry so will certainly add that to my list.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 17th Oct 16, 7:48 PM
    • 4,447 Posts
    • 29,298 Thanks
    joedenise
    Joedenise thank you for those ideas, did not know you could freeze jackets! Will certainly do that in future. Do they take long to cook once defrosted?

I love a good curry so will certainly add that to my list.
    Originally posted by squishylove1989
    I usually just microwave for about 3 minutes then stick a knife in it and put against my lip - if it's hot then it's had long enough, if only warm give it another couple of minutes! A lot depends on whether you're microwaving the potato from fridge temp or room temp. Obviously the colder it is the longer it'll take.

Denise
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 17th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 25,828 Thanks
    shala_moo
    Welcome back Tete, good to see you

Hi Prudent, it's the normal baked oats recipe (here) with the flavours changed. I added 2 tbsp. gingerbread syrup and 1 tbsp. choc shot (1 syn). although you could use cocoa, sweetner and ginger powder to get the same effect. There's loads of different flavour combination which stop it getting boring, just add some fruit and yogurt to serve and it's a really filling breakfast. Hope that helps

Squishy, the SW tikka masala sauce from Iceland is lovely, I always have a pot in the freezer for stand by emergency takeaway cravings. It's £1.50 and serves 2, just add chicken or veg... or both

So decorating went a bit wrong today - the cat jumped on my freshly glossed windowsill so I had to chase him down, lock him in the bathroom and scrub his paws clean! he screams at the best of times when his paws are being touched but today was horrendous, we're both traumatised by the event.. Hopefuly he didn't get time to lick any or much of it off but i'm keeping an eye on him just in case.

Anyway on to the chart..

SOTW* is.... RJHAMMOND with a loss of 2.0lbs!!

Congratulations!

*SOTW is the person who has lost the most weight this week, but also had a loss or sts last week.

Mortgage = £166,050£127,605.61
    Mortgage Offset % = 23.52%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Aug 2027
    SW target - 54lb/29lb
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Oct 16, 8:24 PM
    • 44,851 Posts
    • 155,383 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great loss mrsp & flutterby
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    • 44,851 Posts
    • 155,383 Thanks
    beanielou
    Shala~~eek to the cat!!
    I am getting my new doors varnished tomorrow!!
    Hope my boy keeps out of the way!!

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • mrsp1987
    • By mrsp1987 17th Oct 16, 8:38 PM
    • 781 Posts
    • 3,760 Thanks
    mrsp1987
    I actually buy the frozen jacket potatoes. I know they're much more expensive than a regular one but for convenience sake they're amazing. 5 minutes in the microwave and boom, done perfect jacket potato. In those 5 minutes they're in the microwave I'm usually making the filling or getting the salady-bits together so it's twice as convenient!
    Mortgage April 2011: £108,499 30 yr term Current Mortgage £96,211.87 20 yrs 10 months left
    O/P Fund: £2,336.81/£1,000
    Tilly Tidy #11: I've completely lost count!!
    MFiT T4 #67 - Reduce mortgage from £99,310.76 to £80,000. Currently £95,166.53
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 17th Oct 16, 9:23 PM
    • 6,982 Posts
    • 35,488 Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    Thanks for the chart Shala. I'm on hols next week so won't be weighing. Very pleased I hit my target for this challenge

• blue_eyed_girl
    • By blue_eyed_girl 17th Oct 16, 10:19 PM
    • 3,378 Posts
    • 29,208 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl
    Well done to everyone taking part in the current challenge .

Loving all the ideas that are being shared among everyone.

Pleased to report a 1.5lb loss tonight putting me right at the bottom of my target range - so I'm one happy bunny. Will have a few extra treats this week I think.

Quite a few new members at class tonight and several members have bought the 12 week countdowns. I like the look of the new Christmas book.

Hope you all have a good week.

B_e_g
    SPC NO 041

STARTED SW 04/14 - TARGET 05/16 - TOTAL LOSS 10ST 3.5LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    • 44,851 Posts
    • 155,383 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great result b e g .

• blue_eyed_girl
    • By blue_eyed_girl 17th Oct 16, 11:17 PM
    • 3,378 Posts
    • 29,208 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl
    Great result b e g .
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks beanie x

B_e_g
    SPC NO 041

• greentiger
    • By greentiger 17th Oct 16, 11:56 PM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 11,956 Thanks
    greentiger
    Well done, b_e_g.
    [COLOR=Red]Stashbusting lost track!
    16 in 16 Challenge 15/16
    weight loss September/October 0lbs/9lbs
    Reading Challenge 22/40
    Film Challenge 38/52
    • rjhammond91
    • By rjhammond91 18th Oct 16, 12:17 AM
    • 295 Posts
    • 979 Thanks
    rjhammond91
    Hey guys!

Been a bit mia this week. Weigh in tomorrow morning. Nervous. A friend who lives in Essex has popped down to Devon for a few days to see me. So.. We wandered into Exeter and down to the quay. I had a 12 inch pizza. Some curly fries. And some coleslaw. Oops!! My reasoning was that I've not seen this friend since last November and we both love the waterfront so thought, !!!!!! the diet for today! If I gain/maintain tomorrow then so be it! Worth it to spend some time with a very good friend!

Thank you for the sotw!

Hope all is well with everyone! I'll check in tomorrow with my results!! Eek!
    Xx
    • ruby_eskimo
    • By ruby_eskimo 18th Oct 16, 7:30 AM
    • 2,254 Posts
    • 12,024 Thanks
    ruby_eskimo
    Well done everyone for last week!

Desperately trying to get my head back in the game but feeling so bloated and blah isn't helping. Just going to take one day at a time and not pressure myself too much. Can't believe I essentially haven't lost any weight on this challenge but just going to suck it up and get on with things.

B - Porridge (HEB & 3 syns), strawberries
    L - Jacket potato with beans and cheese (HEA) and salad, clementines
    D - Salmon, roast butternut squash, brocolli, mange tout, peas
    S - Popcorn (2.5 syns), strawberries
    Emergency Fund - £0 / £1,000 :: Holiday Fund -£135 / £3,600
    Sealed Pot 2016 #24 :: VSP #29 - £0:: NSD 2016 - 0 / 200 Weight Loss: 30 / 51lbs September GC - £65/ £200
    Engaged 9th December 2010 Married 29th October 2015
    • blue_eyed_girl
    • By blue_eyed_girl 18th Oct 16, 8:54 AM
    • 3,378 Posts
    • 29,208 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl
    Well done, b_e_g.
    Originally posted by greentiger
    Thank you greentiger x

b_e_g
    SPC NO 041

• Arkers
    • By Arkers 18th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 3,207 Thanks
    Arkers
    Hello everyone,

Hope things are heading in the right direction....in terms of weight loss! Well after a hectic few weeks I'm back at the gym. I'm 1/4 lb under my target weight. I'd like to drop a couple of lbs before Christmas.

Anyone got any tips on cooking a Spanish tortilla. Wondered if I could bake it?

Thanks Arkers x
    • Lois Lane
    • By Lois Lane 18th Oct 16, 9:23 AM
    • 3,231 Posts
    • 12,403 Thanks
    Lois Lane
    Breadgate
    Morning all

Devil 1 : Angel 0

Well, I started off with the best intentions yesterday but then it all went downhill. I popped into our local coop for a few bits and bobs and as it's quite a small store they always reduce items in the afternoon so it's a good time to buy Speed food, which I did. Unfortunately it's not just healthy food that goes out of date, and although I successfully avoided temptations in the meat section, the cheese section, the chocolate section and the yogurt/dessert section, I succumbed to a malted grain cob, which DH and I proceeded to eat toasted for supper last night with butter. (It was very nice....)

Anyway, back on track today and I'm going to have an SP day - breakfast was melon and berries, and dinner is going to be taco jackets with BNS instead of potato. DH and I have a meeting in town this afternoon and I was thinking of having lunch at Morrison's, but after the 11 syn omelette and beans shocker I'm thinking we might have lunch before we go.

Thanks for the chart Shala and well done RJHammond for SOTW and Flutterby for a great loss - you've obviously got straight back on plan after your weekend.

Desperately trying to get my head back in the game but feeling so bloated and blah isn't helping. Just going to take one day at a time and not pressure myself too much. Can't believe I essentially haven't lost any weight on this challenge but just going to suck it up and get on with things.
    Originally posted by ruby_eskimo
    I'm just the same Ruby - I've only lost 1lb since the start of the challenge, but there are still 2 weeks to go and although I'm not going to hit my target, I'm determined to lose more. How about we go for it together?

I don't tend to snack and just eat my 2-3 meals a day. I often skip breakfast and even if I am hungry will wait until dinner. Perhaps this is an added place where I am falling down. I'm trying to increase my water in take too.
    Originally posted by squishylove1989
    I think going hungry for a little while is a good thing, I only have fruit for breakfast and then try to stick to 2 meals with no snacks in between. There's a theory that we think we're hungry when we're actually thirsty so drinking water can help you go for longer between meals. There's another theory that most people eat too often and we shouldn't have another meal until our stomach is completely empty - I'm not sure how you know that though!

Greentiger - love your Colombian boy, you painted a really good picture of him.

Enjoy your holiday Prudent.

Have a good day everyone.

LL
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

731Posts Today

5,708Users online

Martin's Twitter