Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 28th Aug 16, 11:44 AM
    • 3,095Posts
    • 25,833Thanks
    shala_moo
    Be Lean for Halloween with Slimming World
    • 28th Aug 16, 11:44 AM
    Be Lean for Halloween with Slimming World 28th Aug 16 at 11:44 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Food Optimising is a plan for life, it is not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you have been doing in the past has not got you to where you want to be.

You cannot use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising and Choose Success books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Anything that’s Free Food on Green OR Original – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables – is totally Free on Extra Easy!

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Mortgage = £166,050£127,605.61
    Mortgage Offset % = 23.52%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Aug 2027
    SW target - 54lb/29lb
Page 55
    • maman
    • By maman 17th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 15,012 Posts
    • 88,547 Thanks
    maman
    prudent you could always have something easy alongside your soup. Things like frittata or pasta salad would work. If you don't want to make anything yourself you could cook LM sausages and eat them cold and try to make your soups chunky with loads of veg and /or pasta.
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 17th Oct 16, 1:00 PM
    • 11,097 Posts
    • 46,095 Thanks
    Prudent
    Shalamoo Your breakfast sounds incredibly good. Do you have a link to recipe please? I hope you have a great time with you sister

Just wondering if anyone else's group is having a Christmas taster session this week? I have never been to a tastier before and have had a wee google to find some SW Christmas recipes.

Also wondering what people do about setting a goal on a holiday week? I am off on holiday at the weekend for a week. We are staying in a cottage, so have the advantage of being able to cook what I want. I know we will have some meals out though as OH enjoys these and I don't want to spoil his enjoyment. We will hopefully (weather dependent) be quite active as we are going to Aviemore which has loads of outdoor activities. We are planning miles of walking, mountain biking, pony trekking and swimming as well as visitor attractions that involve a lot of walking.
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 17th Oct 16, 1:06 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 12,487 Thanks
    wizkid1
    HELP Maman I haven't lasted half a day. This is what I have had...

Breakfast.. overnight oats B ( ff yogurt mixed berries ) so far so good,

Lunch.. last of my pea & bacon soup. 1 Rivita thin ? and then it went all wrong with half a slice of no crust bread ????
    Fried sliced potatoes Very lean ham, lettuce tomatoes sliver of Lancashire crumbly cheese ( not even 15 g ) ?? Ff cherry yoghurt.

Dinner. Chicken breast fillet. New potatoes,mixed veg. Apple.

Haven't a clue regarding Syns for anything nor my HE s

HELP
    • maman
    • By maman 17th Oct 16, 1:32 PM
    • 15,012 Posts
    • 88,547 Thanks
    maman
    HELP Maman I haven't lasted half a day. This is what I have had...

Breakfast.. overnight oats B ( ff yogurt mixed berries ) so far so good,

Lunch.. last of my pea & bacon soup. 1 Rivita thin ? and then it went all wrong with half a slice of no crust bread ????
    Fried sliced potatoes Very lean ham, lettuce tomatoes sliver of Lancashire crumbly cheese ( not even 15 g ) ?? Ff cherry yoghurt.

Dinner. Chicken breast fillet. New potatoes,mixed veg. Apple.

Haven't a clue regarding Syns for anything nor my HE s

HELP
    Originally posted by wizkid1
    You're doing fine wiz . I don't think Lancashire cheese is a HEA so based on syns you've had :
    2 for the Ryvita (or less depending on flavour)
    1 syn for the crustless (based on 6 syns for 3 slices)
    12.5g of cheese is 2.5 so max 3

That's my best guess so 6 maximum so far I'd say.
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 17th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 6,584 Posts
    • 29,217 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Hola all! Long time MIA, everything just got a bit hectic. I started decorating the house over the summer then went away on hols, never did manage to lose the 3 stone I'd planned to (of course) but had a lovely time regardless and actually came home 2lbs lighter, which just shows how much I comfort eat in private I think

I won't be joining in the Halloween challenge at this stage but would like to get under 12.5 by the end (currently 12.8 1/8). I'm still mega jet lagged and didn't get up til 12.30 today, and my hunger feels all over the place too. Breakfast/lunch will be fried bacon medallions with mushrooms and tomatoes with an egg broken in and kind of all scrambled together. Tea will be a spag bol from the freezer as I haven't been shopping yet.

I realised with a jolt that it's only 10 weeks to Christmas, and only 17 weeks til my birthday. I don't want to hit 35 feeling frumpy and exhausted so that's a good incentive.

Hope everyone is well, look forward to catching up again!
    Get Slinky for Santa Challenge: 3/11 (7/40 in total)
    *Currently reading: H is for Hawk (18/25 in 2016)
    My 'Life Begins at 35' diary *click*
    • ruby_eskimo
    • By ruby_eskimo 17th Oct 16, 2:46 PM
    • 2,254 Posts
    • 12,025 Thanks
    ruby_eskimo
    Afternoon everyone, checking in to say I've put on 5lbs in the last 4 days There was no real reason other than I think all the stress was getting to me and I just succumbed to 2 indians, a chinese and a lot of chocolate and crisps. Have drawn a line and am definitely back on it again today.

B - Alpen Light bar (1/2 HEB), 2 clementines
    L - Speed soup, cherry tomatoes
    D - Jacket potato, beans, cheese (HEA), salad
    S - Alpen Light bar, quark mixed with options hot choc (2 syns), choc shot (1 syn), 2 clementines

Maybe will chuck some popcorn in there too if I still feel hungry. Have drunk a million cups of peppermint tea today to try and shift some of this bloat! Hope you're all having a good day.
    Emergency Fund - £0 / £1,000 :: Holiday Fund -£135 / £3,600
    Sealed Pot 2016 #24 :: VSP #29 - £0:: NSD 2016 - 0 / 200 Weight Loss: 30 / 51lbs September GC - £65/ £200
    Engaged 9th December 2010 Married 29th October 2015
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 17th Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 29,302 Thanks
    joedenise
    You're doing fine wiz . I don't think Lancashire cheese is a HEA so based on syns you've had :
    2 for the Ryvita (or less depending on flavour)
    1 syn for the crustless (based on 6 syns for 3 slices)
    12.5g of cheese is 2.5 so max 3

That's my best guess so 6 maximum so far I'd say.
    Originally posted by maman
    Sorry Maman, not quite right for the bread - it's 2 syns a slice not 1. I suspect Wiz had either original or dark rye Ryvita which are 1.5. Total 6.5 syns.

Denise
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 17th Oct 16, 3:31 PM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 11,959 Thanks
    greentiger
    I love the idea of an “inner angel”, Lois. Actually it reminds me of a wee Colombian boy (7) we had in our school, who came to live with his grandparents (very long and sad story, but his nationality gives a clue). He had upset another child in his class – he’d told someone that one of the other boys fancied one of the girls. The other boy was devastated; it was supposed to have been a secret. I had the job of sorting it out. Now the perpetrator was as cute as they come - big dark, smouldering eyes and a Spanish accent (a future heartbreaker). His story was that “The angel in my heart, he say, “Don’t tell!” but the devil on my shoulder, he say “Tell!” and so he did! This came with appropriate gestures - hands to heart, then fluttering on his shoulder. He was a great wee boy; could brighten up your day, but then his behaviour could be challenging to say the least.

maman, I was sewing a Nexo Knights costume for one of my grandsons (as you do) – it’s a challenge to say the least. I’m stuck a bit at the moment, so having to adjust my ideas to make it work. I have a Harry Potter robe to do for my other grandson (that’s easy, which is just as well as I’m running out of time with going away). My granddaughter is getting the HP robe that has been grown out of as she wants to be Hermione Granger. I’ve always got some sewing on the go, plus I’m crocheting 2 blankets and knitting socks as well, when I’m watching TV (not all at the same time, lol). And in between times I make all our cards (still to start on Christmas) as well as some for charities.

Have fun in Aviemore, Prudent. Take a trip on the mountain railway up Cairngorm. It was all snowy up there at Easter last year, but the grandkids were paddling in the loch at the foot of the hill when we came down!

See these foreign people being a bad influence on you, ruby, it is shocking …..

Hi, Tete, it’s good to see you back.

I am not pure dead scunnered, I am happy to say – it’s 1.6lbs off for me, shala. Thanks for looking after the chart. Dreading next Monday’s WI now.

Monday
    Breakfast: fresh fruit salad, ff Greek yogurt
    Lunch: hexb ham sandwich, melon
    Snack: fs Twix (5)
    Dinner: hidden veg pasta (from mag), may sprinkle on my hexa cheese
    Snacks: choc ginger biscuit (4)

Syns used: 9 Syns saved: 6 Syns carried forward: 0 (new week) Syns balance: 6
    If I haven’t lost something tomorrow, I’ll be pure dead scunnered!
    [COLOR=Red]Stashbusting lost track!
    16 in 16 Challenge 15/16
    weight loss September/October 0lbs/9lbs
    Reading Challenge 22/40
    Film Challenge 38/52
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 17th Oct 16, 4:10 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 12,487 Thanks
    wizkid1
    Cheers Maman I will make a note of that just in case it happens again x

It was half a slice of Crustless bread

1 Ryvita Blackpepper Thin.

And not even 15 g of Lancashire crumbly

Thanks.
    Last edited by wizkid1; 17-10-2016 at 4:18 PM. Reason: Extra note
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 17th Oct 16, 4:32 PM
    • 6,982 Posts
    • 35,488 Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    Gobsmacked to report a 4 lb loss this week!

No idea how, other than the breastfeeding, cos I've ate like a pig and had all the wrong things. I've been full of a cold and my baby boy had his first jabs and we had a bad 24hrs after that so I've just had grab n go food like pizza, cake and toast . I'm very grateful to the gods for not punishing me!

I've now lost 13lbs in 6 weeks (think my challenge target was 12lb) which is exactly the same weight as my 10 week old baby boy
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 17th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 6,982 Posts
    • 35,488 Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    Prudent - Hi. As Maman said a few pages back, I am a veggie. I've done SW on Green and EE so can try help you with a few things if needed so just ask. I'm doing EE this time rather than green but only cos as I'm breastfeeding I get 6 hex a day so it doesn't matter which plan I do really.
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 17th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 29,302 Thanks
    joedenise
    Cheers Maman I will make a note of that just in case it happens again x

It was half a slice of Crustless bread 1 syn

1 Ryvita Blackpepper Thin. not shown on line but probably 1.5 the same as the sweet chilli one. Multi seed is 2 but would think that would be higher than the black pepper one

And not even 15 g of Lancashire crumbly.Think Maman's got it right at about 3

Thanks.
    Originally posted by wizkid1
    Wiz. Few notes above in Red. Looks like 5.5 syns in total so all looking good.

Denise
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 17th Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 12,487 Thanks
    wizkid1
    Many thanks Denise x
    • squishylove1989
    • By squishylove1989 17th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    squishylove1989
    Drawing a line under the weekend and starting afresh. Hoping to lose 1 stone to 1 1/2 stone by Christmas. Keeping my fingers crossed for a decent loss this weekend. Going to use my fitbit and track what I am eating with my fitbit (not so much for the calories but more so, so I can keep it as a food diary!)

Love reading what everyone else is eating so I can get some ideas. I am currently not going to group (actually didn't find the consultant very helpful and it was the second group I had been to.) Find online chat groups with people more helpful.

You guys are inspiring!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 17th Oct 16, 5:39 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 29,302 Thanks
    joedenise
    Squishy - If it would help you you could post your menus on here and there will always be someone around to comment and help.

Do you plan your meals for the week or just decide day to day what you're going to eat? I, and many others, find it helpful to plan, but of course it's up to you.

I know what you mean about groups. I think a good consultant is really helpful. I do actually go to group but really don't like the happy, clappy thing but my consultant doesn't do that every week thankfully!

Denise
    • squishylove1989
    • By squishylove1989 17th Oct 16, 5:48 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    squishylove1989
    Joedenise I admittedly have not planned the first few days of this week. Tomorrow I will be doing the food shop with batch cooking on a Wednesday as I am off work (any slimming world friendly meal ideas that can be cooked in bulk and frozen would be a great help). I was slim up until about 5 years ago when the weight started creeping on. At the same time I was diagnosed with several illnesses and due to fatigue found takeaways and no exercise became my way of life (that is the first time I have admitted that out loud!) I was previously very active including 4 hours of mixed martial arts a week. I don't drive so walk everywhere. I realistically have 4 stone to lose but like I said, would really like to see 1 stone to 1 1/2 by the end of the year.

I will be trying to do meal prep Wednesdays and Sundays to stop myself reaching for the takeaway menu. Perhaps I will post my menu either daily or just the Wednesday and Sunday so you can see what I have cooked up. Advice would be gratefully received.

The first group I went to had their favourites and spent her time chatting to them. We did go round the group and did the whole clapping thing that was incredibly awkward. The second group used to just go round the group doing weight gains and losses but ideas weren't really shared. There wasn't really time once they had gone round.

Jacket Potato and baked beans for dinner

My first group (oh
    • maman
    • By maman 17th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    • 15,012 Posts
    • 88,547 Thanks
    maman
    on your loss flutterby. Brilliant!!

Thanks for the tip shala. I'll try that red slaw. You're right I find pickles much easier than salad stuff to go with cold meats and JPs. I buy tomatoes and spring onions as I can cook with them but very few leaves or cucumber as they go off quickly if I don't fancy eating them. Pickled cabbage and beetroot are my current favourites since Lidl stopped making big jars of cornichons.

You'll probably lose a bit just by not eating take aways squishy but when you do your meal plan and matching shopping list you need to have the EE plan in mind. I translate that as a third of everything you eat should be Speed food (fruit and vegetables from the lists). That's my version as SW says at each meal but I average it across the day. Obvious things for batch cooking are Bolognese and chilli. You'll need 5% mince on your list and add in as many vegetables (tomatoes, onions, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, courgettes) as you can. I also make a veggie chilli to pour over jackets for an easy meal. Your baked beans tonight are healthy protein but not Speed.

I think it's fair to say that the SW ready meals in Iceland haven't received rave reviews on here but they would be a stand by. Personally I buy things like Sainsbury's BGTY burgers and Cumberland sausages which are 1 syn each.
    • squishylove1989
    • By squishylove1989 17th Oct 16, 6:28 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    squishylove1989
    Maman thank you for the tips. I would rather have low syn items that I can chuck in the oven rather than use the slimming world microwave meals (just personal preference). I don't tend to snack and just eat my 2-3 meals a day. I often skip breakfast and even if I am hungry will wait until dinner. Perhaps this is an added place where I am falling down. I'm trying to increase my water in take too.

Damn it, thought baked beans were a speed! Gutted lol. Will have some fruit to make up for it.

You guys are such a lovely bunch. I'm sure you'll keep me on track ☺️
    • mrsp1987
    • By mrsp1987 17th Oct 16, 6:39 PM
    • 781 Posts
    • 3,760 Thanks
    mrsp1987
    Weighed in and lost 2 1/2 lbs, so back at 1 1/2 under target weight. Very pleased and also pleased with the spicy lentil soup I made yesterday for lunch at work today. Was yummy and filling and I've still got 2 more portions in the fridge
    Mortgage April 2011: £108,499 30 yr term Current Mortgage £96,211.87 20 yrs 10 months left
    O/P Fund: £2,336.81/£1,000
    Tilly Tidy #11: I've completely lost count!!
    MFiT T4 #67 - Reduce mortgage from £99,310.76 to £80,000. Currently £95,166.53
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 17th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    • 11,097 Posts
    • 46,095 Thanks
    Prudent
    Well done mrsp
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,408Posts Today

7,012Users online

Martin's Twitter