Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 28th Aug 16, 11:44 AM
    • 3,092Posts
    • 25,815Thanks
    shala_moo
    Be Lean for Halloween with Slimming World
    • 28th Aug 16, 11:44 AM
    Be Lean for Halloween with Slimming World 28th Aug 16 at 11:44 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Food Optimising is a plan for life, it is not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you have been doing in the past has not got you to where you want to be.

You cannot use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising and Choose Success books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Anything that’s Free Food on Green OR Original – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables – is totally Free on Extra Easy!

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Mortgage = £166,050£128,839.49
    Mortgage Offset % = 20.81%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Mar 2028
    SW target - 54lb/29lb
Page 54
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Oct 16, 12:02 PM
    • 14,998 Posts
    • 88,471 Thanks
    maman
    Sorry to hear about your small gain wiz. You're probably OK with the syns you're confident about the values like Ryvita or a slice of bread but other bits could be creeping in. I wondered yesterday about that crumpet. Perhaps aim for 10 to give yourself a buffer.

Most days you seem to have extra bread for syns especially with soup. Why not try fried potatoes with your ham instead to fill you up. Tinned potatoes are excellent for this if you haven't any leftovers.

Hello all,

I know this thread is for Halloween and I've stumbled on it late in the game but I'm hoping I can still join in. I'm hoping to lose a minimum of 1 stone for Christmas. I've been really on plan this week and have lost a grand total of 0 so feeling a bit down on myself at the moment. Hoping to get lots of inspiration on here ☺️
    Originally posted by squishylove1989

You're very welcome to join us squishy and far better to join in now than wait until after Halloween. Your consultant will advise you on your meal plan but why not try posting your menus on here? You'll get really quick feedback. You need to get to the bottom of why you didn't lose after a week, very odd.

I just sprinkle about 3 whole cloves in each layer of the braised red cabbage so that would be about one per portion for the size of my casserole dish denise. Shame you've been put off, maybe just up the cinnamon and nutmeg instead or try an alternative like some mixed spice or ginger. I've portioned it up this morning and got 9 portions as it wasn't a very big cabbage. We'll have some today and the rest is in the freezer.

We're having HB steaks again today. Although we had them last Sunday, it's the easiest 'roast' meal to turn around after football's been moved to please the great god Sky. The meat's in the oven so will just need reheating on the hob. The veg is all prepped so when I get in about 7 p.m. it'll be on the table within the hour.

You did well yesterday greentiger but came so close to going top.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB porage, HEA milk
    L: either ham with veg or JP not decided yet
    D: HB steaks, roast potatoes and carrots, swede & carrot mash, red cabbage, cauli and broccoli
    Syns: squirt of syrup and weekend wine.

DH doesn't weigh the porage so I probably have extra syns in there. At least not as many as previously now there's an extra few grams allowed.
    • Lois Lane
    • By Lois Lane 16th Oct 16, 12:06 PM
    • 3,228 Posts
    • 12,386 Thanks
    Lois Lane
    Hi all

Love the kitties MrsP, very sweet, and they coordinate with your black and white throw!

Flateric - I tried combining MFP with SW for a while but weighing everything is a faff. I found I was running out of calories before I added any Syns which made me think I must eat too much.

The butternut squash Macaroni cheese was a right faff last night, it tasted ok but too much effort for a bit of pasta! Won't be making it again.

we have the 'bowl' bits left of the bns that I roasted last night so making the taco 'jackets' out of one of the old magazines tonight to spice up a cold, wet, miserable day.
    Originally posted by shala_moo
    Ooh, thanks for that reminder, I have the bottom half of a bns in the fridge and not sure what to do with it, but that's decided me, and I can make that day EESP too.

DH and I are out at friends this afternoon, they're doing lunch and it's going to be lasagne with salad, so not very SW friendly. It's been ages since I've had proper lasagne so I'm going to have a flexible syn day and enjoy it.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

LL
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 16th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 3,842 Posts
    • 23,063 Thanks
    Flat Eric

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB porage, HEA milk
    L: either ham with veg or JP not decided yet
    D: HB steaks, roast potatoes and carrots, swede & carrot mash, red cabbage, cauli and broccoli
    Syns: squirt of syrup and weekend wine.
    Originally posted by maman
    What's HB steaks? (probably obvious but brain gone back to bed!)
    2015/16 Reading Challenge 0/100 Books
    Pounds to lose for Slimming World Target =
    *** Smile ***

• joedenise
    • By joedenise 16th Oct 16, 1:49 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 29,284 Thanks
    joedenise
    HB is Hairy Bikers. It's really good, although not really enough speed in it so I always add mushrooms and serve with extra veg on the side. They suggest serving with chips but I usually do it with either roast potatoes or mash.

Denise
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 16th Oct 16, 2:20 PM
    • 3,842 Posts
    • 23,063 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    HB is Hairy Bikers. It's really good, although not really enough speed in it so I always add mushrooms and serve with extra veg on the side. They suggest serving with chips but I usually do it with either roast potatoes or mash.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Oh I see. Sounds yummy
    2015/16 Reading Challenge 0/100 Books
    Pounds to lose for Slimming World Target =
    *** Smile ***

• tweets
    • By tweets 16th Oct 16, 3:52 PM
    • 26,207 Posts
    • 388,065 Thanks
    tweets
    Good Afternoon

STS this week
    Lost 3st-4lb
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 16th Oct 16, 5:44 PM
    • 11,097 Posts
    • 46,017 Thanks
    Prudent
    The butternut squash Macaroni cheese was a right faff last night, it tasted ok but too much effort for a bit of pasta! Won't be making it again.
    Originally posted by shala_moo

I googled the recipe and decided the effort would only be worth it if you said it was amazing.

Thank you for all the input yesterday. I hope I have got my menu more sorted today. Any feedback welcome as I am still not feeling I have got to grips with the new programme.

B. Overnight oats (HEB) with berries from the recipe on the SW website. I tried this as it does not use up my HEA and meant I could split it and have milk and a tiny portion of cheese to grate on my omelette.

L. An onion, tomato, mushroom and cheese omelette with a huge portion of salad. I used three eggs which was actually too many. Will cut back to two next time. I also threw in three small new poatoes which were leftovers in the fridge.

D. One Quorn sausage, big portion of cabbage and sprouts, boiled potatoes and gravy. A pear.

Syns - olive oil 3, Quorn sausage 1, Gravy 1 1/2 - total 5 1/2

s. An apple
    Last edited by Prudent; 16-10-2016 at 5:46 PM.
    • BettyBoof
    • By BettyBoof 16th Oct 16, 6:46 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 1,340 Thanks
    BettyBoof
    Thanks Lois. I haven't carried on being as good as I was the week I did the SAS log in terms of writing things down though I was sticking to syn amounts etc. I say "was" because I rebelled against the STS and have had a bad weekend foodwise. Ridiculous as I know I'm only rebelling against myself!

Whoops! Yes, I meant to type 18lbs down to 10lbs - thanks Shala for updating the chart.

The week ahead is filled with potholes in terms of staying on plan - a trip away, dinner at a friend's place etc. so I'm not feeling confident of a loss which is making me feel like not bothering at all. Again, stupid I know!

I'm 2 stone off target so still have a fair way to go. I think if I could just deal with the 5 lbs I've been losing and gaining over the past few weeks and go down into that next stone category I'd feel motivated again. I probably need to start writing everything down again and having some speed days. I'm surprised (and disappointed) to find myself in this place, I started so well and was really feeling SW was working for me.Not sure why I sabotaged myself...

Sorry for the ramble!
    £1000 Emergency fund #120 = £650 (65%)
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 16th Oct 16, 7:02 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 29,284 Thanks
    joedenise
    Prudent that looks a good day's menu but you really should try and use your syns otherwise when you start of plateau you won't have anything to cut back on. Since I started SW I've had my full syns and have now been at target or thereabouts for 6 years now.

Betty I think we all sabotage ourselves at times. Draw the line and start again as if it's Week 1. I know that's going to be difficult for you this week but my consultant always says "be good when you can and careful when you can't" whenever anyone says they've got various plans for the coming week. It's a good mantra to think of.

Denise
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    • 14,998 Posts
    • 88,471 Thanks
    maman
    Feeling really fat tonight.

Not surprising as Sunday is always a high syn day for me. Everything seems to have come together. DH chose porage for breakfast and he doesn't measure. Sky decreed my team would be on TV so that necessitated half a Crunchie and then there's mandatory weekend wine.

At the moment I can't see how I'm going to get back in range by Thursday. But back on plan 100% tomorrow and I'll give it my best shot.
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 16th Oct 16, 9:11 PM
    • 1,629 Posts
    • 11,949 Thanks
    greentiger
    Hello, squishylove1989, of course you can join us – we love meeting new folks!

Yep, maman, happy with yesterday’s result and with how we played. You do realise that Southampton won thanks to me, don’t you? I was listening on the radio while I was sewing, until half time when I came down to watch the second half. I just sat down when the first goal went in! So there, it’s all down to me!

Betty, I’m on the pothole road with you this week. My daughter and I are off to Rome from Thursday until Sunday, to celebrate her 40th (how on earth did that happen) birthday, which was yesterday. She’s in Munich just now enjoying lovely weather, so I hope it comes with us too. BTW, maman, the great god of TV football is omnipotent there too – we had planned to go to Roma’s match (2pm ko) but it’s been moved to 7.45pm and our flight home is after 8pm, so no can do now.

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs & hexb soldiers
    Lunch: baked potato with hexa cheese and salad, ML Greek style lemon yogurt
    Snack: choc ginger biscuit (4)
    Dinner: 2 LMcC roro sausages, beans and mushroom, fruit salad (mango, kiwi, persimmon, apple, raspberries, strawberries, grapes and clementine) with ff Greek yogurt
    Snacks: choc ginger biscuit (4)

Syns used: 8 Syns saved: 7 Syns carried forward: 11½ Syns balance: 18½
    If I haven’t lost something tomorrow, I’ll be pure dead scunnered!
    [COLOR=Red]Stashbusting lost track!
    16 in 16 Challenge 15/16
    weight loss September/October 0lbs/9lbs
    Reading Challenge 22/40
    Film Challenge 38/52
    • Emmylou
    • By Emmylou 16th Oct 16, 10:07 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    Emmylou
    Well it was a STS this week. Bit disappointed but looking back I did go a bit carb-mad over the couple of days before WI so I'm going to go back to my usual couple of SP days on Tuesday and Wednesday. The soups worked really well for work, but I've been a bit hungry by 5 pm so next week I'm throwing in some protein (aka a boiled egg!) to the lunchbox so hopefully that will help.

6lbs to target and I WILL be there by Christmas - and hopefully by the end of this countdown, which is 6 weeks away.
    We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
    B&SC Member No 324

Living with ME, fibromyalgia and (newly diagnosed but been there a long time) EDS Type 3 (Hypermobility). Woo hoo
    • duchy
    • By duchy 16th Oct 16, 10:54 PM
    • 17,819 Posts
    • 45,059 Thanks
    duchy
    Yuck 3lb gain
    Knew it was a bad week more eating wrong foods than more food and not enough veg. Oh well lesson learned.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 16th Oct 16, 10:57 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 12,455 Thanks
    wizkid1
    Thanks Maman I believe you could be right.i will try it that way. If I have
    Rivita for Syns I needn't bother with bread. Especially if I am having cereal at breakfast. I will try for a week and see if there is any difference plus just having 10 Syns.
    Thanks again. Wiz
    • Lois Lane
    • By Lois Lane 17th Oct 16, 9:05 AM
    • 3,228 Posts
    • 12,386 Thanks
    Lois Lane
    Morning all

Reporting in with yet another STS this week.

There are 2 weeks left of the challenge and there's an argument going on in my head between the devil and the angel - the devil says give up on this challenge and start again in November, the angel is saying No! Go for it and see how much you can lose in the next 2 weeks if you really put your mind to it. I'm going to gag that devil and nurture my inner angel

Had a lovely afternoon out yesterday - the lasagne was delicious and not as bad as it could be as it was made with Quorn and served with salad. It also had lots of lovely cheese sauce and cheese on it, and wine syns were consumed but let's gloss over that minor detail.

The funny thing is, I was filling in my food notebook this morning and managed to leave yesterday out completely! I didn't give it a thought until I'd written the day and date at the top of each page for the whole of this week. (The devil at work again!)

Hello all,

I know this thread is for Halloween and I've stumbled on it late in the game but I'm hoping I can still join in. I'm hoping to lose a minimum of 1 stone for Christmas. I've been really on plan this week and have lost a grand total of 0 so feeling a bit down on myself at the moment. Hoping to get lots of inspiration on here ☺️
    Originally posted by squishylove1989
    Hi Squishylove - welcome to the thread. Have you joined a group, or are you doing it on your own? I'm not surprised you're feeling down about not losing in your first week, but the body has a bad habit of not always doing what we expect it to do. Sometimes there are things going on that we're not aware of, maybe you're retaining fluid, or your hormones are causing a problem. Keep going with the plan, check you're eating enough Speed food and measuring HEs and Syns correctly and it will work in the long run. Feel free to join in the chat and ask any questions, we're a friendly bunch as you'll find out.

I haven't carried on being as good as I was the week I did the SAS log in terms of writing things down though I was sticking to syn amounts etc. I say "was" because I rebelled against the STS and have had a bad weekend foodwise. Ridiculous as I know I'm only rebelling against myself!

The week ahead is filled with potholes in terms of staying on plan - a trip away, dinner at a friend's place etc. so I'm not feeling confident of a loss which is making me feel like not bothering at all. Again, stupid I know!
    Originally posted by BettyBoof
    Every day is a new day, so when you've had a bad weekend, or a day that's beyond your control, draw a line and put it behind you. That will limit the damage, rather than giving up altogether, gaining more than you would have and being really p'ed off with yourself. I like Denise's Consultant's advice too.

...my consultant always says "be good when you can and careful when you can't" whenever anyone says they've got various plans for the coming week. It's a good mantra to think of.
    Originally posted by joedenise
    At the moment I can't see how I'm going to get back in range by Thursday. But back on plan 100% tomorrow and I'll give it my best shot.
    Originally posted by maman
    You can do it!

Well, it's 9 o'clock, DH has gone to play golf, the shop has been open for an hour and I haven't had a single customer yet. It's promising to be a nice day now, although it decided to throw it down just before 8 when I was on my (very short) way to work.

Have a great week everyone.

LL
    • maman
    • By maman 17th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 14,998 Posts
    • 88,471 Thanks
    maman
    I like the sound of the inner angel lois! I think you'd find it harder to get back on plan when you get to Spain if you took a break. As it is you'll be faced with the socialising challenges so probably best to listen to the angel and make sure she gets on the ferry with you.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I really am sticking to plan this week but as I started it (on Wednesday evening) with a massively off plan meal then there's a lot to put behind me. Anyhow, I've enjoyed my syns over the weekend so now back on plan with syn free or very low syn meals until Thursday.

Thanks for your support yesterday greentiger. It certainly did the trick. Rome should be lovely at this time of the year. Being nosy, what were you sewing?

DH and I are out at dinner time so we're having our main meal for lunch and will fend for ourselves later.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, 0.5 HEB toast, 2 boiled eggs
    D: SW chilli con carne (tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, carrots) with rice and cottage cheese
    L: LO veg (mainly Speed) with cold meat if needed.
    Syns: None
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 17th Oct 16, 11:10 AM
    • 3,092 Posts
    • 25,815 Thanks
    shala_moo
    Welcome to the board squishy we'll be starting a Xmas challenge on the 1st November if you want to join in, but please feel free to post in the meantime. Not everyone on the board does the challenge x

That BNS taco thing is one of my favourites lois and it means loads of speed on the plate without even really noticing! We had it with salad and red slaw so even more speed.

Good luck getting to target Emmylou, what a wonderful xmas present to yourself

I googled the recipe and decided the effort would only be worth it if you said it was amazing.
    Originally posted by Prudent
    I had high hopes prudent, some of the other recipes I've tried have been lovely but this one is a no go for me. The milk curdled when I was boiling the BNS so I had to take it out and rinse it, then start again. To be fair it may have been my cooking rather than the recipe

I'm off work this week with much decorating to do everywhere is looking a bit tired but luckily it's all paint work rather than wallpapering. Lots of body magic and still trying to stay on plan until Thursday when my sister arrives, then we'll probably go for a meal out.

I've cooked a massive ham so we can have that for lunches and tonight's meatloaf is all ready to go in case we use the "too tired" to cook excuse for getting a takeaway.

So menu for today
    B - chocolate gingerbread oats, fruit, yogurt
    L - ham salad, pickles, red slaw
    T - meatloaf, carrot chips, salad
    S - crisps (3.5) melon

Maman, have you seen the new baxters red slaw? It's like pickled coleslaw. I know you like pickles so I keep meaning to mention it to you.. really vinegary
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=293368001
    Mortgage = £166,050£128,839.49
    Mortgage Offset % = 20.81%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Mar 2028
    SW target - 54lb/29lb
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 17th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 29,284 Thanks
    joedenise
    Have been really good over the weekend, particularly with the wine! From Thursday to Sunday I have used 59.5 syns - think that's the lowest for a weekend for an extremely long time, LOL! 0.5 syns under allowed syns.

I'm going for lower than usual syns for the rest of the week as I really want to lose the 3lb gain from my holiday asap. I know I it's extremely unlikely that I'll do it in less than 2 weeks as my biggest loss to date has only been 1.5lb!

Today's plan:

B - porridge
    L - LO lamb hotpot which has a lot of veg and not much meat left in it!
    D - egg, chips, mushrooms & beans

HEA - milk
    HEB - porridge

Syns - none planned but seem to be needing a snack in the evening lately so may have a couple of Ryvita with Laughing Cow and/or an Alpen Light.

Denise
    • candyapple
    • By candyapple 17th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 3,535 Thanks
    candyapple
    Hi everyone

I've been quiet here due to being horribly off plan - attempting to get back in the zone now

Need to get back into the habit of writing everything down, dug out my Diet Doodle Diary that I bought months ago and the first section I found un-filled was Week 4 so that clearly worked well I might just buy a notebook though to note things down as there's not much room in the little spaces in this one

So far today I've had porridge with apple & cinnamon and a tiny squeeze of honey, 2 cups of tea and a bottle of ribena light. Munched on a satsuma around 11ish - forgetting I had mouth ulcers so that was stupidly painful

Tea will be risotto with chicken I think (should have been chicken curry but OH had curry leftovers at his parents place yesterday so that's a no go) Food shopping in a little while to pick up some bits and pieces, hopefully I'll grab something low syn while i'm out

Hope everybody's well and you all have a good week
    xx

• Prudent
    • By Prudent 17th Oct 16, 12:47 PM
    • 11,097 Posts
    • 46,017 Thanks
    Prudent
    Well it was a STS this week. Bit disappointed but looking back I did go a bit carb-mad over the couple of days before WI so I'm going to go back to my usual couple of SP days on Tuesday and Wednesday. The soups worked really well for work, but I've been a bit hungry by 5 pm so next week I'm throwing in some protein (aka a boiled egg!) to the lunchbox so hopefully that will help.

6lbs to target and I WILL be there by Christmas - and hopefully by the end of this countdown, which is 6 weeks away.
    Originally posted by Emmylou
    Emmylou I am finding the same with soup. I get hungry about an hour and a half before dinner. I am also hungrier in the evenings. I am finding adding protein a bit limited as I mainly eat vegetarian food and unless I eat an egg or additionally make something else like baked falafal from scratch then I am a bit stuck. I started having a roll with quorn bacon (syning both) which was lovely, but I did a midweek weigh at home and had lost nothing.

Today I had a baked potato with pepper and bean chilli & a salad with half my HEA as grated cheese. It was very filling. Just need to see how the scales go.

I am going to ask to consultant about this on Thursday as I feel like I am struggling to 'get it right'.
    Last edited by Prudent; 17-10-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,031Posts Today

5,359Users online

Martin's Twitter