Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 28th Aug 16, 11:44 AM
    • 3,095Posts
    • 25,837Thanks
    shala_moo
    Be Lean for Halloween with Slimming World
    • 28th Aug 16, 11:44 AM
    Be Lean for Halloween with Slimming World 28th Aug 16 at 11:44 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Food Optimising is a plan for life, it is not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you have been doing in the past has not got you to where you want to be.

You cannot use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising and Choose Success books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Anything that’s Free Food on Green OR Original – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables – is totally Free on Extra Easy!

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Mortgage = £166,050£127,605.61
    Mortgage Offset % = 23.52%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Aug 2027
    SW target - 54lb/29lb
Page 48
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 10th Oct 16, 10:28 AM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 29,344 Thanks
    joedenise
    Yesterday ended up not being good synwise. Met up with friends and ended up having 3 days worth of syns!!!

Line drawn and back on it today. Will try and pull back the syns over the next few days before WI but don't think I'll be able to pull them all back.

B - porridge made with water; fruit
    L - ham salad
    D - Egg, chips, beans; melon

Denise
    • Top Girl
    • By Top Girl 10th Oct 16, 12:27 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 6,309 Thanks
    Top Girl
    Tesco value cottage cheese is free isn't it? I normally get the cheap Asda one which I know is, but I didn't pass there this morning. It's much creamier than my usual!
    • Lois Lane
    • By Lois Lane 10th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    • 3,235 Posts
    • 12,435 Thanks
    Lois Lane
    Tesco value cottage cheese is free isn't it? I normally get the cheap Asda one which I know is, but I didn't pass there this morning. It's much creamier than my usual!
    Originally posted by Top Girl
    Yes it's free
    • Top Girl
    • By Top Girl 10th Oct 16, 1:16 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 6,309 Thanks
    Top Girl
    Thank you! I'll stick to this one in future, it's much nicer
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Oct 16, 2:26 PM
    • 15,034 Posts
    • 88,658 Thanks
    maman
    Thank you! I'll stick to this one in future, it's much nicer
    Originally posted by Top Girl

That's a good recommendation topgirl. I generally buy Aldi's own brand but will try Tesco's when I'm in there.

So sorry to hear about your nan. I hope she's comfortable.

Good idea to treat this week as a holiday flutterby. When I go away I always try to undo some of the damage before going to WI. I'm glad you had a good time though. Nothing worse than breaking the syn bank and not enjoying it.

YS stands for Yellow Sticker betty, so basically reduced to clear and very mse.

There's no harm in trying with the beef cubes lois. I don't know what sort of slow cooker you have but I always do the final thickening bit on the hob. I have a ceramic liner on my SC so that would be difficult.

I'm still feeling a bit fat. I'm telling myself Monday's aren't good when I've had almost all my syns over the weekend as usual. My next meal out is Wednesday evening so I feel I should try and weigh before then. If I'm still in target range I'm happy. The trouble with being at target is that it's like trying to lose those last few pounds over and over again. Not that I'm expecting any sympathy.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, 2 boiled eggs, HEB toast, HEA milk for drinks
    L: cold meat, fried veg (2 potatoes and all the rest Speed)
    D: savoury mince, new potatoes, carrots, cabbage
    Syns: ginger chocolate

I've got a half bar (3.25 syns) of chocolate left from yesterday then I'm going to try and go chocolate free for a few days. It's too easy to get into (bad) habits.
    • gingerfurball
    • By gingerfurball 10th Oct 16, 2:31 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    gingerfurball
    Hello all busy weekend so I've not read back...checking in with a 1/2 lb off happy enough with that - but I did walk the legs off myself last week - at least 6 to 8 miles a day - so really should have been more.

Any of you who are friends of mine on Insta or FB will see that hubby won his category in his first bodybuilding competiton...the over 50s...considering he's 58 we were well chuffed...ate and drank with abandon to celebrate so will have to work hard to recoup.

Hope you all are well.
    • BettyBoof
    • By BettyBoof 10th Oct 16, 4:04 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 1,347 Thanks
    BettyBoof
    Thanks maman, I was thinking it might have stood for 'yard sale' in refernence to all the stuff they chuck in the discount fridge!

Well done to your DH [B]Gingerfurball[/Bl, amazing achievement!

I forgot to share my NSV: I bought new jeans on Saturday and had to get a size 14 so I have officially dropped a dress size (and a half I would say)! I'm so pleased.

I also wanted to ask everyone what the biggest loss they have had in one week? One of our members said they lost 10lbs in one week which just blew me away!
    £1000 Emergency fund #120 = £650 (65%)
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 10th Oct 16, 7:07 PM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 12,512 Thanks
    wizkid1
    Hiya everyone and thanks Maman for guiding me to the HB recipe. I will try that tomorrow.

So, for today's menu plan....

Breakfast. Mullerlight strawberry ff yoghurt. Blueberries strawberries raspberries ans a chopped up banana.

Lunch Home made celery soup ( celery leek,carrot peas onion 1 small potato.) very lean ham salad sandwich B. Ski lemon mousse 4.5 syns

Dinner. Chicken fillet fried sliced potatoes ( leftovers from yesterday )

Extra 2 Rivita 3 Syns. 2 crackerbread 2 syns.
    9.5 syns
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 10th Oct 16, 7:30 PM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 11,971 Thanks
    greentiger
    TG, I’m sending as big a hug as I can for you.

Congrats to your husband, gfb.

Thanks, beanie and Lois, for the encouragement. I’m glad to have a companion, Betty, thanks for the offer – and well done on your new dress size. And it wasn’t as bad as expected, but still a 2lb gain , shala – can’t complain. But it does take me back to about where I was at the start of the challenge.

Well, here goes …

Monday

Pre-Breakfast: banana
    Breakfast: spaghetti on hexb toast, scrape butter (3)
    Lunch: baked potato, beans, hexa cheese, salad (crunchy leaves, carrot. spring onion, cucumber), ff vinaigrette, pear & ML melon & mango yogurt
    Dinner: chicken & bacon risotto (mag p 12 – very tasty), fruit salad (based on mag p 85 - pear, grapes, persimmon), ff Greek yogurt, sprinkle cinnamon (1)
    Snacks: shortbread finger (5)

Syns used: 9 Syns saved: 6 Syns carried forward: 0
    Syns balance: 6
    [COLOR=Red]Stashbusting lost track!
    16 in 16 Challenge 15/16
    weight loss September/October 0lbs/9lbs
    Reading Challenge 22/40
    Film Challenge 38/52
    • mrsp1987
    • By mrsp1987 10th Oct 16, 8:34 PM
    • 781 Posts
    • 3,760 Thanks
    mrsp1987
    4.5lb gain this week. I stayed miles off plan over the weekend but I'm only 1 lb over my ideal target so still within range.
    Need to figure out how to introduce more speed now I'm not having salads for lunch.
    Find out tomorrow if I can bring home the itty bitty kitty committee on Wednesday
    Mortgage April 2011: £108,499 30 yr term Current Mortgage £96,211.87 20 yrs 10 months left
    O/P Fund: £2,336.81/£1,000
    Tilly Tidy #11: I've completely lost count!!
    MFiT T4 #67 - Reduce mortgage from £99,310.76 to £80,000. Currently £95,166.53
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 10th Oct 16, 8:41 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 25,837 Thanks
    shala_moo
    So sorry to hear about your news Topgirl, I hope your nana is as comfortable as she can be xxxx
    SW target - 54lb/29lb
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 10th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 25,837 Thanks
    shala_moo
    Chart time!
    SOTW* is.... DUCHY with a loss of 2.0lbs!!

Congratulations!

*SOTW is the person who has lost the most weight this week, but also had a loss or sts last week.

SW target - 54lb/29lb
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Oct 16, 11:51 PM
    • 15,034 Posts
    • 88,658 Thanks
    maman
    4.5lb gain this week. I stayed miles off plan over the weekend but I'm only 1 lb over my ideal target so still within range.
    Need to figure out how to introduce more speed now I'm not having salads for lunch.
    Find out tomorrow if I can bring home the itty bitty kitty committee on Wednesday
    Originally posted by mrsp1987
    You're still in target range, you'll be fine!
    Would you be OK with soup? I make lentil and veg (carrots, onions and leeks) which is SP. Or JP with cottage cheese and pickles. I have beetroot, pickled cabbage and gherkins. It depends what facilities you've got.
    • ruby_eskimo
    • By ruby_eskimo 11th Oct 16, 8:27 AM
    • 2,257 Posts
    • 12,032 Thanks
    ruby_eskimo
    Hi shala, sorry for not checking in yesterday but I had a STS this week. No idea why but I know I've lost inches thanks to the exercise. Will be checking in again later tonight, hope you had a good weekend.
    Emergency Fund - £0 / £1,000 :: Holiday Fund -£135 / £3,600
    Sealed Pot 2016 #24 :: VSP #29 - £0:: NSD 2016 - 0 / 200 Weight Loss: 30 / 51lbs September GC - £65/ £200
    Engaged 9th December 2010 Married 29th October 2015
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th Oct 16, 8:33 AM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 29,344 Thanks
    joedenise
    Congratulations Duchy on SOTW.

Today's plan:

B - boiled eggs, 1 slice of crustless bread (part HEB); scrape of butter 1
    L - jacket potato, tuna mayo 1; salad leaves, cucumber, tomato, spring onions, beetroot, cornichons, peppers; balsamic vinegar
    D - savoury mince made into shepherds pie, plenty of speed using mixed veg, onions, mushrooms, peppers & lentils. Will serve with cabbage & cauliflower
    S - toast & marmite (2 syns for butter)

HEA - milk
    HEB - bread
    Syns - butter 3; mayo 1

Denise
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Oct 16, 11:07 AM
    • 15,034 Posts
    • 88,658 Thanks
    maman
    duchy

I've just checked and still no update of HEBs on the site. I think I'm going to go to a new group on Thursday morning for, at least, weigh and go. Even though I'm out for a meal tomorrow evening I can't keep putting it off. If I am close to the top of target range (or above it) then maybe it'll motivate me to be more stringent.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB toast, baked beans, HEA milk for drinks
    L: LO veg (one potato, the rest Speed) with meat and pickles
    D: chicken stir fry ( mushrooms, mange tout, spring onions, peppers and anything else I find in the fridge!) with rice or noodles
    Syns: honey in stir fry sauce

I'm not having chocolate today. Last night I had a snack of a chopped apple, few grapes and cottage cheese all mixed in a bowl. Mondays I often need something because we have dinner early. If I feel the munchies tonight that's what I'm having.
    • Top Girl
    • By Top Girl 11th Oct 16, 12:04 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 6,309 Thanks
    Top Girl
    Thanks all <3

It's FREEZING today. Cannot get warm at all. It's making me hungrier too

B - Mushroom omelette and baked beans

D - Usual big salad, hula hoops puft (3.5), melon and pineapple, mug shot, apple

T - SW Spaghetti Bolognese

Going to make some chicken soup tonight so will probably have a cup of that before bed.

HEXA - Milk

HEXB - Alpen lights

BM - Commute and trying to keep warm!
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 11th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 6,982 Posts
    • 35,488 Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    Well done duchy.

Ugh I'm full of a cold today, slept badly too. Baby slept whilst I was suffering then every time I started to doze off he wanted feeding! Then he had an epic 2hr nap this morning but I just couldn't drift off too. I did lay in bed for an hour resting though.

Need to go to tesco later. Ended up on 18syns yday as finished off the Chinese. But from today I'm gonna have 10 daily if poss to try make up for wknd away.

Today:

B - wholemeal toast heb with butter 3syns (at 5am!)
    L - pasta n sauce, cheese hea. Celery soup (homemade). Having two lunches as nothing suitable for proper breakfast in!
    D - roast veg, quorn sausages 2 syns.
    Snacks - pear, oranges, jelly 1syn
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
    • ruby_eskimo
    • By ruby_eskimo 11th Oct 16, 1:04 PM
    • 2,257 Posts
    • 12,032 Thanks
    ruby_eskimo
    So just catching up from earlier - congrats duchy and hope your nan is doing ok TG. Every time I read about your ginger chocolate maman I have to stop myself from running out to get some! Although saying that I am currently sitting next to an open packet of chocolate digestives and have managed to resist so far (they're less than 30cm away from my hands!)

Was really hoping for a loss last week as I have a day out on Thursday to a conference where I know there won't be any healthy options for food and then I'm spending all weekend at Brands Hatch with my dad. Going to try and save as many syns as possible but I'm preparing myself for a gain next week.

Today's menu:

B - Porridge (HEB, 1/2 HEA), blueberries, golden syrup (2 syns)
    L - Speed soup, cucumber, tomatoes, celery
    D - Salmon, broccoli, green beans, mushy peas, SW chips
    S - popcorn (2.5 syns), 20g reduced fat cheese (1/2 HEA)
    Emergency Fund - £0 / £1,000 :: Holiday Fund -£135 / £3,600
    Sealed Pot 2016 #24 :: VSP #29 - £0:: NSD 2016 - 0 / 200 Weight Loss: 30 / 51lbs September GC - £65/ £200
    Engaged 9th December 2010 Married 29th October 2015
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Oct 16, 2:32 PM
    • 44,877 Posts
    • 155,553 Thanks
    beanielou
    I am frozen today too
    But not as much as yesterday when I justbcould not get warm at all.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,291Posts Today

6,007Users online

Martin's Twitter