Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 27th Aug 16, 4:54 PM
    • 5,207Posts
    • 16,306Thanks
    missymoo81
    feed a family of 4, mostly vegan, on a budget of £153 a month! Old style!
    • 27th Aug 16, 4:54 PM
    feed a family of 4, mostly vegan, on a budget of £153 a month! Old style! 27th Aug 16 at 4:54 PM
    Hi,

I hope you lovely people can help. My husband is on the verge of being made redundant again!!!! I spent hours last night working out where every penny of my tiny pay check will be going. We can just survive on my wages but only have £135 per month for food!!!! That's for 2 adults and a 3 and a 4 year old. I am vegan the rest of the family eat meat occasionally but still have dairy. But I'd like us to all have the same meal in the evening more often than not, so that really needs to be vegan and cheap!!!! Sandwich fillers that are vegan would be wonderful too.... We eat an awful lot of hummus already!

I've recently turned vegan for health reasons, I was feeling really poorly and have been for a while, eradicating any meat and dairy from my diet has worked absolute wonders. But I've only been vegan for 2 weeks, so need all the help I can get for evening meal ideas, if you could point me in the right direction of other threads or if you have a meal idea yourself, I'd be super grateful.

Thanks a million

Missy

ETA I've changed the title to £153 which is my current budget.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by missymoo81; 19-09-2016 at 12:03 PM. Reason: More info needed!!!
Page 9
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 19th Sep 16, 11:09 AM
    • 5,207 Posts
    • 16,306 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Ok, that's
    Breakfast
    me having my 2 banana, peanut butter, linseed and spinach smoothie mon-fri
    Small ones having porridge pots with garden berries mon-fri
    OH having malt wheats mon-fri

Saturday will be banana pancakes with yogurt and frozen berries with syrup
    Sunday will be waffles with yogurt and frozen berries with syrup

Lunch
    OH and me
    Mon Jacket potato and beans
    Tue Soup and hm bread
    Wed & Thur salad and hummus wraps for me and cheese sandwich & crisps for OH
    Fri soup and HM bread

All with HM cake

Roo
    School lunch

May
    Sandwich, carrot sticks and hummus

All
    Saturday tiger bread cheese and pickle (just pickle for me)
    Sunday roast with crumble

Snacks
    HM cake
    Pears for small ones
    Last edited by missymoo81; 19-09-2016 at 11:35 AM.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 19th Sep 16, 12:05 PM
    • 5,207 Posts
    • 16,306 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Ok so things have changed quite a lot, since my original list. But it's learning what we eat and how we can eat and what we appreciate as treats etc when money allows. Also how much time I have with working and school and nursery runs etc. I definitely think things have changed for the better food wise. I appreciate there are some treaty/convenient things in there, like the tiger bread, but it's now a Saturday staple. Weekends are all about food and family time in this house now and I'm really loving it!

Fajitas for dinner tonight, I'm going to try and make the salsa..... Wish me luck. The fajitas will have salad leaves, onion, butter beans, carrot and peppers in them.
    Last edited by missymoo81; 19-09-2016 at 1:09 PM.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 19th Sep 16, 3:24 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    purpleybat
    I've grated it and frozen it in ice cubes trays before now - handy and still pretty 'pokey' flavour-wise!!
    Originally posted by OldMotherTucker

I freeze it whole and grate it off as I need it, I find I don't need to peel it
    grocery challenge for Sept 2016 £160
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 20th Sep 16, 7:08 AM
    • 5,207 Posts
    • 16,306 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Good morning, how is everyone? Well fajitas went well, I used peppers, carrots, onions and kidney beans in the mix. And I made my own salsa, which was nice! Just two value tomatoes, 1 value onion, some lime juice, tomato puree, sweet chilli sauce, salt and dried corriander. Tonight is bolognaise, not sure how I'm going to do it but will write my recipe later.
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 20th Sep 16, 7:20 AM
    • 7,163 Posts
    • 28,327 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Morning missy

I normally just do bolognaise as i would normally do it, but add a tin of lentils instead of the mince beef.

The best thing is that you dont need to simmer it for as long (unless you want to)..meaning it's great for lazy cooks like me
    #20- 3/6 month emergency fund challenge.

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 20th Sep 16, 7:53 AM
    • 5,207 Posts
    • 16,306 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Fab thanks lovely, think I'll shove it all in the slow cooker, even lazier! As am batch cooking it for lasagne and chilli later on in the week.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 20th Sep 16, 1:33 PM
    • 5,207 Posts
    • 16,306 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hmmmm not going to b Spag Bol now as it's what Roo is having for school lunch!!!! 'Sigh' will think again. Just made some amazing soup! Left over cauli, a grated carrot, some butternut squash, tin of butter beans, paprika, veg stock and corriander. Oh and some pepper and it could have done with some tomato puree but didn't have any.i Boiled it all up and whizzed it up! Fab quick lunch.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 20th Sep 16, 6:01 PM
    • 5,207 Posts
    • 16,306 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Well I made a sheperdess pie, what a bloody waste of time that's was. Roo ended up having pizza at school not bolognaise, so I could have made that! As it was I made shepherdess pie and OH said it was 'too gravified' and the small ones said they didn't like it and only ate the potato, I should have saved myself the bother and made them cheese and potato pie!!! Waste of my afternoon! Grrrrr!! Am being super lazy and am in bed! OH has hurt his back and to be honest, I'm sure it hurts, but you'd think he'd just been sat on by an elephant the way he's limping about with this injured look on his face!!!! Have come to bed for some peace so I can read the forums, chill out and get an early night, what's the betting OH will come and start laying beside me, whinging and moaning 'sigh'! Anyway, hope you're all ok.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 21st Sep 16, 12:19 PM
    • 5,207 Posts
    • 16,306 Thanks
    missymoo81
    I have noticed I'm having to think more about what we eat. As I'm not able to pay for convenience, so along in the oven pizzas etc are now a thing of the past..... Tonight's quick dinner, as couldn't batch the bolognaise yesterday, will be pasta with garlic olive oil and fresh tomatoes, is actually scrumptious!
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 21st Sep 16, 2:11 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    purpleybat
    , what's the betting OH will come and start laying beside me, whinging and moaning 'sigh'! Anyway, hope you're all ok.
    Originally posted by missymoo81

should've offered him some nookie, you'd have soon found out exactly how injured he was. hahaha
    grocery challenge for Sept 2016 £160
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 21st Sep 16, 3:36 PM
    • 7,163 Posts
    • 28,327 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Well I made a sheperdess pie, what a bloody waste of time that's was. Roo ended up having pizza at school not bolognaise, so I could have made that! As it was I made shepherdess pie and OH said it was 'too gravified' and the small ones said they didn't like it and only ate the potato, I should have saved myself the bother and made them cheese and potato pie!!! Waste of my afternoon! Grrrrr!! Am being super lazy and am in bed! OH has hurt his back and to be honest, I'm sure it hurts, but you'd think he'd just been sat on by an elephant the way he's limping about with this injured look on his face!!!! Have come to bed for some peace so I can read the forums, chill out and get an early night, what's the betting OH will come and start laying beside me, whinging and moaning 'sigh'! Anyway, hope you're all ok.
    Originally posted by missymoo81
    Ah, sorry it didnt work out as planned. Maybe portion the shep pie up and freeze in individual portions so you can have it for lunches?
    #20- 3/6 month emergency fund challenge.

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 22nd Sep 16, 8:25 AM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 11,230 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    Lol the teenage ex-pesci veggie/wannabe vegan just gave me a filthy look for describing her as 'transitioning'!!
    I don't know the future but the past looks clearer every day
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 22nd Sep 16, 8:44 AM
    • 10,263 Posts
    • 29,199 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Lol the teenage ex-pesci veggie/wannabe vegan just gave me a filthy look for describing her as 'transitioning'!!
    Originally posted by OldMotherTucker

Errrm....that makes her firmly a cis female then

Yep...I had to ask what that meant when someone called me that recently. I wondered whether they were "calling me names" initially - but it turned out it was just an objective statement that I am someone that was born in a female body and feels perfectly okay about that (ie not wanting to have it changed to a male body).

"Transitioning" seems to be used in just two contexts at the moment. There is the post-Peak Oil Transition Town movement that are "transitioning" to that post peak oil future. At a personal level I've only heard "transitioning" used about someone that is in process of changing their body from the sex it was born to the other sex (ie because that's what they decided they would like it to be). Eg female to male.

I think you've just lined yourself up for dinner tonight being a super-luxury one - of the vegan variety and buying her some make-up or a feminine article of clothing

I know...I know...but I'd like to still be able to use rainbow images if I want to - but can't these days (because of what it now means) - which wouldnt be a happy thought to a woman that's 101% heterosexual personally.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 22-09-2016 at 8:49 AM.
    For every person that tells you you are overthinking - there will be at least one commending you on being "two steps ahead"/planning well/etc.
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 22nd Sep 16, 10:27 AM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 11,230 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    I use it in the context of being in the process of change! But it's ambiguous enough to stop 3rd parties making negative vegan statements! I love watching anti-vegan's jaws drop for a second as they try to figure what out if I mean I've actually said it to her homophobic father because I'm tired of him taking the mickey and looking for faults He changed the subject prety quickly

Tucker Minor is transitioning from veggie to vegan - it's nowhere near as drastic as gender reassignment so everyone else should just respect it as her life choice. Neither happens overnight! It's not a snap decision!!

I joke about it but friends and family can make very scathing remarks about my daughter's quiet, non-judgemental lifestyle, and I've known some to bristle in disgust as if she had indeed been 'turned' in some way
    It's also used against me as if I've lost control as a parent and passed on some awful hippy traits!!

She is sooo lucky - she has a chef cook for her most nights and her nearest and dearest treat her like she's normal
    • mirko
    • By mirko 22nd Sep 16, 10:36 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    mirko
    Sitting here trying to work out whether I'd rather give up cheese or my genitalia. Tough one that.

Anyway, interesting diary. I think I'm on the long journey towards a more vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. Made a great vegan chilli the other week.

Enjoying reading your diary!
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 23rd Sep 16, 7:30 AM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 11,230 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    Sitting here trying to work out whether I'd rather give up cheese or my genitalia. Tough one that.

Anyway, interesting diary. I think I'm on the long journey towards a more vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. Made a great vegan chilli the other week.

Enjoying reading your diary!
    Originally posted by mirko
    It puts veganism into prospective doesn't it?

And shows how selectively prejudiced and ignorant people can actually be!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,747Posts Today

7,475Users online

Martin's Twitter