Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Scraplet
    • By Scraplet 25th Aug 16, 11:17 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Motorway Services PCN - I paid for extra parking!
    • 25th Aug 16, 11:17 PM
    Motorway Services PCN - I paid for extra parking! 25th Aug 16 at 11:17 PM
    Hi all,
    Wish I found the resources here earlier! I've read the stickies and searched, but can't find a situation quite like mine. Just wondered if anyone could offer advice on how to proceed.

Following a holiday in Scotland, I received a PCN from a BPA-member parking company representing a motorway service station.

Upon arrival at the service station (11/06/16) we inspected the sign. The understanding I took from it was that we could park free for up to 2 hours, and after that pay a fee. There was a stated fee £x for up to 12 hours parking. We dutifully phoned-up and paid £x. My understanding was that we could park for 14 hours (12 hours paid, plus 2 hours free). We parked overnight, and stayed for a grand total of 12 hours and 34 minutes. We spent circa £70 on site while we were there feeding the family.

PCN arrives dated 16/06/16. It alleges we owe them £100 because we had “either not purchased the appropriate parking time or remained at the car park for longer than the permitted free stay or purchased parking time”.

"Ah", I think! "The incompetent twonkers! We DID buy the appropriate parking AND we didn't overstay". So, I simply replied to their online 'appeals' procedure stating as much. I pointed out that I was disappointed that they had made such an error, and as a paying customer I was minded to complain to the car park owner. And I thought no more of it, after imagining the shame they would surely feel for making such as mistake.

13/07/16 – Another letter arrives. “Our records do not confirm that any additional parking time was purchased”. I was fuming. I replied, again, to their online 'appeals' procedure with proof of my payment and of all the money I spent on site. I ranted about their incompetence. I told them I would indeed complain to the landowner. I emailed the motorway service company concerned and berated them about their parking contractors behaviour and incompetence.

Today – another letter arrives. “...your appeal has been unsuccessful due to the fact that parking tarriffs apply at this car park. On further investigation our records show that insufficient time was paid for on the date of the parking event”.

So, now they suddenly have records, and I'm still in the wrong! The motorway service company have not even bothered to reply back to me.

I can only assume I misinterpreted the sign, but I still think my take on it is perfectly reasonable. I haven't got the sign to refer back to. I didn't take a picture, because I had no reason to at the time. It is a six-hour round trip from me, so it's not like I can nip back and have a look!

So any advice on how to go from here? I've essentially and unwittingly identified myself as the driver and keeper, by complaining. I stupidly assumed that I was dealing with people who would respect a paying customer who had honestly followed their convoluted system. The service station is in Scotland, though I am not. The original PCN only had their own internal appeals procedure, and no correspondence from them has offered any POPLA info or appeals procedure.

Any advice appreciated.
Page 2
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 26th Aug 16, 7:57 PM
    • 39,362 Posts
    • 50,990 Thanks
    Opinions? have I been outed!
    Not at all, you did a good thing and wrote 'we did this' which is a recommended way to appeal which does not suggest who was driving. Far better than the MSE 'fight parking tickets' article 'appeal template' which still has this awful line: 'the reason why I parked as I did was...'*!

Should I contact Parking Eye again, just to make it clear that I do not accept their decision?
    Yep and you could say you are aware that the POFA 2012 does not apply to land in Scotland, so as keeper, you cannot be held liable.

As for WB, email or phone them using the details given for that Services, they all have a webpage per site and it always gives a contact email & phone number. Try to get a Manager and if fobbed off, insist the complaint is escalated higher within WB and make sure they look at your receipts and proof of actually paying the parking fee.

*to be fair, MSE Megan has just asked me for comments (ironically while I was PPR'd temporarily!). I have MSE's email addy having talked to them about certain 'things' so they contacted me that way. I hope the article and template appeal MSE supply will be further tweaked soon.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 26-08-2016 at 7:59 PM.

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Scraplet
    • By Scraplet 9th Oct 16, 9:08 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks

I wrote to both the Welcome Break Gretna manager and Parking Eye right after the last post on this thread. I got a phone call from Welcome Break a couple of weeks ago to say they would have the charge cancelled. Nothing in writing, so I didn't take that for granted. However, a couple a days ago I got a letter from Parking Eye also saying the charge was cancelled.

Awesome. Thanks for all the help, everyone! :-)
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Oct 16, 9:13 PM
    • 39,362 Posts
    • 50,990 Thanks
    Great news and quite right. The Government Policy as recited above, clearly states that any charge is only ' to be levied for parking beyond the mandatory two free hours' and you paid and did not overstay 14 hours.

Well done for getting it cancelled. Beware private parking firms everywhere you go, they are the lowest bottom-feeders you can hope to be scammed by right now.

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,911Posts Today

6,321Users online

Martin's Twitter