Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 25th Aug 16, 6:59 AM
    • 266Posts
    • 1,082Thanks
    I Love comps
    My Thrifty Ways to Save Money
    • 25th Aug 16, 6:59 AM
    My Thrifty Ways to Save Money 25th Aug 16 at 6:59 AM
    I have been following a lot of threads on here for some time now.
    I have decided to start my own.

I have luckily never been in debt apart from the obvious of having a mortgage loan - so could not post in the Debt section.

Just a quick introduction about me - When growing up both my parents worked but did not have fantastic salaries. I remember my Father doing the end of month accounts.

My parents have never had credit cards - They just saved for everything - instead of today's culture of buying everything on a credit and paying it of later.

My father died when I was in my teens so things did not get any easier financially - but my Mom just saves for things -still.

So I have grown up with the knowledge of how to save money - I will list some of my ways here. I never like getting into debt.

Always buy things you need/want in the sales
    Remember Charity Shops are great for bargains
    Look out for vouchers to reduce your shopping bill
    Use cashback sites to save money
    Save small change coins in a pot for either holidays something else eg Christmas birthdays - it is amazing how much you can save
    Free Samples
    Surveys
    Buying reduced food from the supermarket

Each day I will let you know how I have saved money.

I also enter competitions as a hobby I have been a comper for over 20 years and have a lot of items that have saved money.
    Last edited by I Love comps; 19-10-2016 at 6:09 AM.
Page 8
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Oct 16, 7:51 PM
    • 20,417 Posts
    • 40,265 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Went shopping to Aldi last night - Christmas food was in.
    Originally posted by I Love comps
    Ditto Lidl.....I noticed the mince pies yesterday. I don't eat these now, so bought 3 bottles of wine a 4 large bad of hand cooked crisps instead. Not quite sure how this is MSE, I only popped in for some ff milk for the baby
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 8th Oct 16, 9:52 PM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 36,194 Thanks
    Caterina
    In my local area a young woman made headlines because she has invented and sells resuable/washable sanitary towels made from terry cloth like fabric. She put them on a local south wales facebook selling page but was met with a lot of abuse-people called her disgusting-and whilst I can see they might not be desired by everyone I think they are no different to a moon cup and plan to investigate further.
    Originally posted by Florence J
    I used reusable/washable sanitary pads for much of my fertile years, not always as sometimes they were not sufficient protection, but mostly after day 2 they would be OK. I must have saved a fortune, but also avoided a lot of landfill junk, which pleases me enormously.

There should be a thread somewhere here on OS about reusables. Also if you google it, you can find a lot of patterns to make your own.
    No challenges for December.
    • katkin
    • By katkin 8th Oct 16, 10:08 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 4,855 Thanks
    katkin
    I've made cloth sanitary pads for years. Not needed them very much in the past year because of the menopause, but I keep a few around.

Not only is it thrifty and better for the environment; they are very comfortable too. Never had a problem using them and I think it's crazy that some would harass those who do or make them.

I have a pic in stock of some of mine, these were made out of oddments of fabric, are different sizes and thickness. All cotton of one sort or the other.

If this isn't an appropriate pic for the forum could one of the mods please take it down

What a strange thing to be posting on the internet of a Saturday evening!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 8th Oct 16, 10:18 PM
    • 8,731 Posts
    • 51,871 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Seems odd that anyone would object to pictures of colourful sanitary pads, and yet pictures of nappies are seen everywhere!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

December NSDs. 00 of 15
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 8th Oct 16, 10:19 PM
    • 1,929 Posts
    • 5,709 Thanks
    melanzana
    I've made cloth sanitary pads for years. Not needed them very much in the past year because of the menopause, but I keep a few around.

Not only is it thrifty and better for the environment; they are very comfortable too. Never had a problem using them and I think it's crazy that some would harass those who do or make them.

I have a pic in stock of some of mine, these were made out of oddments of fabric, are different sizes and thickness. All cotton of one sort or the other.

If this isn't an appropriate pic for the forum could one of the mods please take it down

What a strange thing to be posting on the internet of a Saturday evening!
    Originally posted by katkin
    They are obviously unused.

How do you keep them as pristine as that after use? We all know that bloodstains are notoriously difficult to remove. So if you have to spend money and time on products to remove the ahem....stains, well where is the saving?
    • katkin
    • By katkin 8th Oct 16, 10:29 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 4,855 Thanks
    katkin
    I may have taken this pic after making this batch.

Steep in cold water with a little milton asap. Some fabric will bleach, but most are ok. Then I boil wash them using biological powder in the machine. Not had too many problems with stains, but if it was a heavy day, I'd use darker fabrics.

Ex pyjamas make good ones, especially brushed cotton.
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 8th Oct 16, 10:38 PM
    • 21,121 Posts
    • 36,371 Thanks
    SailorSam
    Seems odd that anyone would object to pictures of colourful sanitary pads, and yet pictures of nappies are seen everywhere!
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    And bearing in my that this thread is all about, what you can do to save money. Now you don't need them, you could always use them as oven-gloves.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 8th Oct 16, 10:46 PM
    • 8,731 Posts
    • 51,871 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    And bearing in my that this thread is all about, what you can do to save money. Now you don't need them, you could always use them as oven-gloves.
    Originally posted by SailorSam
    Or pot holders, remember those squares of knitted or crocheted wool with padding?

Now what other thrifty uses could you invent for cloth sanitary pads that don't upset the squeamish? Actually, the pads in the picture look too pretty for their intended use.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

December NSDs. 00 of 15
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 9th Oct 16, 2:22 PM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 36,194 Thanks
    Caterina
    Katkin they are so pretty!

The best way to wash them I found is to rinse repeatedly until the water runs clear, then if not putting in a washing cycle straight away, keep in cold water and salt. Then put on a cool wash with mild detergent, as natural as possible (to avoid chemical residues in your delicate parts). Important ALWAYS use cold water because warm to hot "sets" the protein in the blood and makes it difficult to remove the stain.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 9th Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 36,194 Thanks
    Caterina
    They are obviously unused.

How do you keep them as pristine as that after use? We all know that bloodstains are notoriously difficult to remove. So if you have to spend money and time on products to remove the ahem....stains, well where is the saving?
    Originally posted by melanzana
    I was never fussed about a bit of bloodstain, it was my blood anyway and i knew they were washed and clean and that nobody else was going to look at them and judge me LOL. Forgot to add in my previous post, an excellent stain bleacher is sunshine so I would hang them to dry outside whoever it was possible.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Oct 16, 2:48 PM
    • 20,417 Posts
    • 40,265 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Katkin they are so pretty!

The best way to wash them I found is to rinse repeatedly until the water runs clear, then if not putting in a washing cycle straight away, keep in cold water and salt. Then put on a cool wash with mild detergent, as natural as possible (to avoid chemical residues in your delicate parts). Important ALWAYS use cold water because warm to hot "sets" the protein in the blood and makes it difficult to remove the stain.
    Originally posted by Caterina
    Honestly it sounds too much like a faff to me (bearing in mind I prefer to have a plentiful supply of clothing / bedding / towels etc because I prefer to wash infrequently during the colder months!). I wouldn't be tempted to give it a go even if I used STs, and if you're not fussed about brands, supermarket tampons are more cost and time effective.

However I am inspired to turn worn out flannelette PJs into patchwork items now.
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 09-10-2016 at 2:50 PM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 9th Oct 16, 2:52 PM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 36,194 Thanks
    Caterina
    I know, it's not for everyone, if you are not too bothered about the "Eco" bit and short of time, or squeamish, now that sanitary disposables are so cheap, it's tempting to not bother. I did not do it regularly all the time, especially when I worked, but found them a gentler alternative when I had more time. As always, each to their own, we are all different!
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 11th Oct 16, 7:33 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Morning

No NSD days as yet unless nothing went out of my bank account on Saturday.
    I ordered some trousers from Bon Marche for £16 reduced from £26 yesterday, and I also joined there Diamond Club which costs £10 a year, but you get free P+P for 12 months , I also am getting a gift for joining, there are other benefits , but I am not going to look at those too much as they will only encourage me to spend more money. I needed the trousers as they are a warmer material for the Winter months, and I work outside - my other few pairs are starting to wear out , but I will repair them to make them last a bit longer. Also one pair has faded but these will not be thrown they will be used as pyjama bottoms.
    I will only need to order a few items from them and I will have got my fee money back, as I pay £4 bus fare to go and buy the items . In my older years shopping and spending money is not as exciting as when I was younger.
    Have a good Tuesday
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 11th Oct 16, 4:57 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Just got back from Tesco's and I have bought Ultimate Blends Shampoo two for £4 instead of £3 for one. Bottle is 400 mls.
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 13th Oct 16, 7:48 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Morning
    I hate to say this but I am really looking forward to going shopping tonight- The new Lidl by where I live has just opened and is bigger then the Aldi by us. OH has a dental appt at 3 so will be home earlier , so we can leave earlier.
    Years ago I would have been looking forward to a new fashion shop opening - now it is supermarkets - well that is where we spend a good majority of our time and money. Well we have to eat - but you do not need many clothes in later life.

Have a good Thursday everyone.
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 15th Oct 16, 12:03 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Afternoon everyone,
    Well my thrifty ways are not very thrifty at the moment, what with a few bills and I have sponsored my daughter as she is running in a half marathon tomorrow, which we are going to watch, so we will be having breakfast tomorrow morning in a pub.
    When spending in shops the change I am getting is not the change I am saving either.
    Have a good weekend everyone.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 15th Oct 16, 3:34 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 6,178 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Vfm can I ask about the liners during your teens? Did it help you with regard to embarrassment due to discharge? My 12 year old is a little concerned about it but it's something I was never introduced to and have never used even as an adult. Worth a go for her?
    Originally posted by fuddle
    I think they're worth it. It's a comfort thing for me.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 19th Oct 16, 6:23 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Morning Everyone,
    Another way I reduce my shopping bill is to buy reduced food at the supermarkets - I love being able to pick up a bargain this way. Yesterday I bought ;
    Reduced bread - straight for use (sometimes will freeze though)
    Fishcakes (for tea tonight)
    Roast veg tray (tea tonight)
    Two Microwave Meals( tea Tues and Thurs evenings)

These are usually decent brands, which I normally would not buy at full price, so it is a treat to have a different taste. After all years ago there were no sell by or use by dates on foods.

We tried the new Lid* by us this week, I noticed they reduce there nearly out of date food by 30% , which I have never seen at Ald*.

No NSD days for me. In my change though I have had some to put in my saving pots challenges.

Have a good Wednesday everyone.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 19th Oct 16, 6:56 AM
    • 10,880 Posts
    • 30,630 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Just made an ongoing barter arrangement - a friend lets me have free run of her orchard to pick apples for myself and I use my dehydrator to pick and dry some extra apples for her (as she doesnt have the facility to dry any to keep for herself). That will help - as I don't have a big enough garden to grow as many apples as I wish for myself and by the time the "bugs" have had some (courtesy of me being an organic gardener obviously....) then that's less for me.

Win....win.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 19th Oct 16, 9:27 AM
    • 3,709 Posts
    • 6,043 Thanks
    culpepper
    I still have my washable ST's. I made mine with fleece for the outside and wings. They have press studs on the wing so they stay in place.
    The first batch, I made of white fleece and they did stain after a while. The last batch I made in dark blue and they were a lot less eye catching on my washing line. They are very useful now if I am exercising with the jump rope as that can tend to cause leaks of another sort.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

3,350Users online

Martin's Twitter