Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 25th Aug 16, 6:59 AM
    • 177Posts
    • 653Thanks
    I Love comps
    My Thrifty Ways to Save Money
    • 25th Aug 16, 6:59 AM
    My Thrifty Ways to Save Money 25th Aug 16 at 6:59 AM
    I have been following a lot of threads on here for some time now.
    I have decided to start my own.

I have luckily never been in debt apart from the obvious of having a mortgage loan - so could not post in the Debt section.

Just a quick introduction about me - When growing up both my parents worked but did not have fantastic salaries. I remember my Father doing the end of month accounts.

My parents have never had credit cards - They just saved for everything - instead of today's culture of buying everything on a credit and paying it of later.

My father died when I was in my teens so things did not get any easier financially - but my Mom just saves for things -still.

So I have grown up with the knowledge of how to save money - I will list some of my ways here. I never like getting into debt.

Always buy things you need/want in the sales
    Remember Charity Shops are great for bargains
    Look out for vouchers to reduce your shopping bill
    Use cashback sites to save money
    Save small change coins in a pot for either holidays something else eg Christmas birthdays - it is amazing how much you can save
    Free Samples
    Surveys

Each day I will let you know how I have saved money.

I also enter competitions as a hobby I have been a comper for over 20 years and have a lot of items that have saved money.
    Last edited by I Love comps; 28-08-2016 at 7:57 AM.
Page 6
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 22nd Sep 16, 9:19 AM
    • 5,227 Posts
    • 34,764 Thanks
    Caterina
    That had me doing quick googling LL to see if I could use Arm and Hammer toothpaste or no - and I can't. Sorry to break the bad news but....

I checked out the ingredients - which I was wondering about a bit (as includes fluoride) and their phrasing alerted me to what they arent saying it includes.

Cue for it's on the list - ie of products with plastic microbeads (fish for the eating of.....):

https://www.beatthemicrobead.org/images/pdf/redUK.pdf

right down the bottom of the list of products to boycott (for having those microbeads in) was precisely one toothpaste. You guessed it. Oh well - back to the drawing board as to what one to use instead then...

I've had to give up eating fish and go back to being vegetarian - after reading about all those microbeads going into the ocean and via the fish into us.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    They have this update for the UK (May 2016) that seems to indicate Arm and Hammer to be free of microbeads, maybe they changed the formulation.

http://beatthemicrobead.org/images/pdf/greenUK.pdf

edited to add:

If your teeth need a basic scale and polish, your dentist should be asked to do it, it's in the NICE guidelines somewhere apparently, but they won't do it if it requires an in-depth cleaning, because it is time consuming. But it is worth asking your dentist if you just want a basic one.
    Last edited by Caterina; 22-09-2016 at 9:27 AM.
    2016 NSDs so far: 2
    From September 2016: 1
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 22nd Sep 16, 10:02 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Morning All,

Shopping for me at Aldi tonight - lets see what offers they have this week.
    The dentist practice I go to has a policy of there dentists carrying out there own scale and polishes - I paid £19.70 last week for mine.
    This practice will also charge you for a missed appointment unless you phone and cancel it giving 24 hours notice.

Another way I save the pennies is by applying for freebies via the freebies sites. Today I have received a box of 14 4ml sachets of Garnier skinactive Pure Active 3in1. This will save me buying any face wash for a few weeks more.

Have a good Thursday everyone.
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 23rd Sep 16, 7:33 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Welcome All to Friday This week has gone very quickly - but I do find that the days to fly by quickly. I am sure as you get older times goes by quicker - maybe because I am doing things at a slower pace than in my younger days.
    Went to Aldi - We encountered one of those ' I am am going to buy everything from the shelf type of customer' it was over the cat food trays which are still on offer at 19p. This lady was piling in these cat food trays - she had 3 boxes full - while my OH just stood there - so I just politely sidled between her trolley and the shelf and said I was just getting a few for my cat - while chatting to her she said she owned 7 cats.
    My body is also beginning to want to eat more of the unhealthy items - I suppose to store up for Winter. I could not resist a pack of Belgium Buns - they were only 89p compared to Co-OPs £1.29, so in they went , I did so enjoy it while watching 'EE' last night.
    I was so hoping for an NSD day today, but it is not to be I need to send a card to do with my postcrossing hobby. Also my daughter who I have not senn for a few weeks phoned after we had come back from shopping to ask if she could come to dinner on Sunday - so I will have to go and buy some extra meat .
    Have a good Friday everyone
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd Sep 16, 8:25 AM
    • 13,599 Posts
    • 105,548 Thanks
    JackieO
    My dentist automatically does a clean and polish when ever I go for my six monthly check up it comes in with the check up price which is handy.
    Well done on getting your freebie face washes ILC, its a nice treat now and agin to get free samples isn't it. I have a voucher for John Lewis that I must use up before the end of the month, its only a free coffee and cake but well worth using my bus pass for a trip to Bluewater and a mooch around and free coffee and cake to go with it.Nice morning out I think
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

Very pleased with how my months budget has gone and a bit more room in the freezer thanks to shopping from there instead of the supermarket.Have £14.28 left in my food budget purse and only 2 more days to go until the end of the month
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 25th Sep 16, 4:41 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 5,988 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    Good morning all.

It's funny isn't it but I do find some things are worth paying a bit more for. In this house we have found that toothpaste is definitely the case where it's worth investing.

I have very sensitive teeth and have tried every brand. Only sensodyne works for me so I just stock up when it's on offer.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    I'm with you on the Sensodyne. I've used Colgate and other brands in the past for my sensitive teeth, but only Sensodyne really makes a difference. Like you, I look out for it on offer.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    Jan GC: £61.90/£50, Feb GC: £50.36/£60, Mar GC: £40.29/£60, Apr GC: Fell off the wagon... Whoops!

• I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 27th Sep 16, 6:42 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Morning All,

The weather certainly feels chillier these last few days. I am not a fan of Winter, I am not keen on the dark nights. It makes me want to eat more of the things I should not eat.
    Not doing to well with my NSD days - had to nip out Sunday morning to buy something vegetarian. Shopping at the Co-op is expensive- managed to find an offer on the Linda M leek and cheese lattice pies £2.09 each or two for £3 - the other pack are in the freezer in case daughter visits again soon.
    Off too see what T's have later on after work.

Have a good Tuesday - I have Eastenders and Holby City to look forward to tonight.
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 27th Sep 16, 8:28 AM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 11,169 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    When we travel, I have started taking an ice cooler with snacks and drinks. It has saved us money!
    Now, when we stop, I'm not tempted to munch on junk food so it saves my waist line too.
    Sept $424.41/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 27th Sep 16, 9:39 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    I Love comps
    When we travel, I have started taking an ice cooler with snacks and drinks. It has saved us money!
    Now, when we stop, I'm not tempted to munch on junk food so it saves my waist line too.
    Originally posted by milasavesmoney

It is in the house where I am temptedto snack more in Winter - but maybe a freezer bag with a few bits at the side of while watching tv would put me off snacking as the thought of putting my hand into a freezing cold bag would certainly put me off snacking as much.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,903Posts Today

7,005Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Follow Martin