Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tiggerlou
    • By Tiggerlou 25th Aug 16, 12:00 AM
    • 43Posts
    • 90Thanks
    Tiggerlou
    New beginnings.... lets get this debt cracked!!!
    • 25th Aug 16, 12:00 AM
    New beginnings.... lets get this debt cracked!!! 25th Aug 16 at 12:00 AM
    Hello... new to the forum and hoping this diary keeps me focussed & positive on the long road ahead....

My lightbulb moment came this July (2016) .... Just been paid and the same day the bank was bare (overdraft blitzed) after paying all my bills... this has been the case for as long as I can remember but this time something was different for me & I knew I couldn't carry on. My mental health was starting to suffer as I felt guilty I couldn't do nice things with my little boy, I wasn't sleeping due to my problems and my moods with my OH were horrendous.... friendships were (& still are) virtually non existent as I never had any money to go out with them and I started questioning what was the point to life.... then it clicked - I needed help and needed help now and so I contacted step change.

As soon as I contacted stepchange I immediately felt relief; relief that there could be and was light at the end of the tunnel and that someone could help & support me to get me out of this mess. I felt guilty, embarrassed and ashamed but on the phone the lady was so empathetic I immediately felt at ease... I am not the first person to get into a financial muddle and doubful I'll be the last.

The first solution they discussed was an IVA and set up a telephone meeting with an IVA practitioner. I sneaked to work early one morning and had the meeting on the phone in TESCO car park of all places - no one but me knows about the situation I am in... OH knows about some bills and goes mad so I feel I can't sit and share anything with him - he doesn't understand - yet he doesn't work and expects all the nice things to just pop out of thin air!! Anyway, after the meeting the guy suggested an IVA may not be the best solution after all and suggested trying a dmp in the first instance. So I phoned stepchange right away and when someone answered and I began to explain, I just cried and cried and cried...

So here is where I am up to now...
    Decided to go along with a dmp with stepchange and the first payment is due out at the beginning of next month.... can only afford £244 each month on debts of 38k to 18 different creditors so its gonna be a while - but I am determined to be debt free & will work hard to get this cracked sooner rather than later.

I read thread 10 and thread 11 of the debt free wanabee sections for support and advice and this has really helped - along with the replies that calmed my nerves about my expectation of a flurry of letters, none stop phone calls and door step collectors.

I have contacted all my creditors to let them know about the situation and had one reply out of the 18 so far to say they accept the reduced payments and will stop the interest.

So there you have it - the reason why I am here and where I am at now. Its going to be a tough slog but I will get there & I think doing this diary will be a great help...
Page 2
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 6th Sep 16, 7:32 AM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 10,543 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hi Tiggerlou,

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction.

Well done on the NSD

Pmo2
    X
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: £9250.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

15-20 NSD - 5/20, 10 LSD - 3/10, 15 AFD - 1/15, Lunches to work 9/20

20p Savers 2016 £2 Savers 2016 50p Savers 2016 SPC 9 2016 #003
    • Tiggerlou
    • By Tiggerlou 6th Sep 16, 8:08 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tiggerlou
    Thanks PMO2.... I hope I am... some days I feel in control and then other days the realisation of it all hits me again!! Xx
    • Tiggerlou
    • By Tiggerlou 7th Sep 16, 10:33 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tiggerlou
    3 letters all from american express today. 1 demanding full payment, 1 accepting dmp and stopping interest and 1 saying the debt was being transferred to NCO.... so confusing and no doubt other letters from NCO winging their way to me!!!! Not so happy day today..... x
    • Tiggerlou
    • By Tiggerlou 8th Sep 16, 7:07 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tiggerlou
    Feel shattered - hardly slept with the letters from amex yesterday.... still waiting to hear from 3 creditors as to whether they accept the dmp - even though they'll of had the first payment yesterday... I also try and use the thread for support but feel sometimes I get spoken to like I am a bloody fool..... homestly it costs nothing to be nice!!! X
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 8th Sep 16, 3:44 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 3,377 Thanks
    Florence J
    I'm sorry that you haven't been treated that well. I hope things pick up. You are not a fool. Some people should be nicer!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #553
    2016: Sell £1000 #51 (£340.03/£1000)
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 = £262.95/£310
    Wombling free 2016 = £404.24
    • Tiggerlou
    • By Tiggerlou 8th Sep 16, 6:54 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tiggerlou
    Thank you Florence xxxx
    • Tiggerlou
    • By Tiggerlou 11th Sep 16, 11:34 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tiggerlou
    BAarclaycard and Lloyds are saying they havent heard from sc even though they have had the first payment.... interest from lloyds is shocking - the sooner they default me the better..tried emailing sc over a week ago about and no reply so gonna ring first thing.... nightmare as keep getting the calls about payment again off them!!!! Things seem to settle down for a bit and then bam you're back to square 1!!!! Xxx
    • Eyebright
    • By Eyebright 11th Sep 16, 12:08 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 4,642 Thanks
    Eyebright
    Hi Tiggerlou,

Well done on taking these first difficult steps to sorting out your finances and becoming debt free. Hope you can speak to StepChange tomorrow and get everything sorted out quickly for your own peace of mind.

Hang in there!
    DFD Feb 2018 Total debt now £12672.13 £6919.63
    EFC #11 £150/£1000 = 15% achieved
    • Tiggerlou
    • By Tiggerlou 14th Sep 16, 7:25 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tiggerlou
    Well what a day... came home to a letter saying they've overpaid me £8000 in child tax credits.... sent stepchange a message to see what I do next... aaarrrggghh
    • Rosylee
    • By Rosylee 14th Sep 16, 7:34 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Rosylee
    Oh no! That's awful Tigger. Hopefully SC will be able to advise you.
    • Tiggerlou
    • By Tiggerlou 14th Sep 16, 8:19 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tiggerlou
    Hoping so Rosylee.... hoping the'll add it to the dmp and I will have to see if I can pay anymore into it xxx
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 14th Sep 16, 10:18 PM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 10,543 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Oh Tigger, you're really going through the mill at the moment.

Hopefully Stepchange can give you some advice on CTC.

Keep plodding Hun, you're heading in the right direction x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: £9250.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

15-20 NSD - 5/20, 10 LSD - 3/10, 15 AFD - 1/15, Lunches to work 9/20

20p Savers 2016 £2 Savers 2016 50p Savers 2016 SPC 9 2016 #003
    • Tiggerlou
    • By Tiggerlou 18th Sep 16, 7:28 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tiggerlou
    Pay day Friday & can't come quick enough.... had to go shopping yesterday with my calculator on my phone to make sure I had enough when I got to the till!!! But I managed and didn't borrow anything off anybody to get more so pat on the back for me.... xx
    • Tiggerlou
    • By Tiggerlou 20th Sep 16, 8:35 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tiggerlou
    Well had helpful conversations with HMRC and Stepchange so tax credits added to dmp but now back to being anxious as allied international have taken over my amex debt and all I can see on the internet are really bad reviews of them ..... calling at peoples houses and phoning them up to 19 times a day.... just dreading their contact now... xxx
    • Tiggerlou
    • By Tiggerlou 22nd Sep 16, 10:48 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tiggerlou
    Feeling okay today.... took advantage of the argos 3 for 2 so made a start on xmas at least.... all things I know he wants too which is a bonus.... paid for with my own money and not outa the catalogue so feel pleased with myself xxx
    • Tiggerlou
    • By Tiggerlou 23rd Sep 16, 8:25 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tiggerlou
    Second pay day since starting the dmp with sc and still feels odd not rushing around logging into all sites paying creditors with money I don't have.... feels nice to see an account with money actually in it rather than being swallowed up by the overdraft and constantly in the red!! I don't know how on earth I got myself into such a mess but I sure as hell know I won't be going back there x
    • fourthtimelucky
    • By fourthtimelucky 23rd Sep 16, 10:10 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    fourthtimelucky
    Just caught up with your diary and wanted to wish you luck. Sounds like you are on the right track, even with the nasty surprise from the Tax Credit people.
    Starting point Aug 2016 - £13,853.38
    Current total Sep 2016 - £13,845.40 - 0.06% paid off (I have an excuse for month one...)
    Debt free date (worst case) December 2019
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,544Posts Today

8,018Users online

Martin's Twitter