Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • IGN
    • By IGN 24th Aug 16, 4:48 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    IGN
    DWP and bank statements
    • 24th Aug 16, 4:48 PM
    DWP and bank statements 24th Aug 16 at 4:48 PM
    I know the DWP can request to see bank statements and was just wondering how far back they request. Will it be a years history or 3 years or what?

My bank account only allows me to print off the last 3 months history for some reason.
Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 24th Aug 16, 5:06 PM
    • 4,258 Posts
    • 4,436 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 24th Aug 16, 5:06 PM
    • 24th Aug 16, 5:06 PM
    We generally asked for statements covering the 6 months prior to the start of the claim for a new claim, or the last 6 months for a query regarding an existing claim.
    • IGN
    • By IGN 24th Aug 16, 5:10 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    IGN
    • 24th Aug 16, 5:10 PM
    • 24th Aug 16, 5:10 PM
    We generally asked for statements covering the 6 months prior to the start of the claim for a new claim, or the last 6 months for a query regarding an existing claim.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to go into my bank and see if they can print off longer than 3 months. You say "we" so can I assume you work for the DWP?
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 24th Aug 16, 10:24 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 24th Aug 16, 10:24 PM
    • 24th Aug 16, 10:24 PM
    2 months is the norm for both UC (JCP) & HB (Councils) in the Merseyside Area.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 24th Aug 16, 10:37 PM
    • 16,584 Posts
    • 29,014 Thanks
    Ames
    • 24th Aug 16, 10:37 PM
    • 24th Aug 16, 10:37 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to go into my bank and see if they can print off longer than 3 months. You say "we" so can I assume you work for the DWP?
    Originally posted by IGN

Depending how quickly you need them you'll probably find it cheaper to do a Subject Access Request. It used to cost a tenner, but might have gone up. It takes up to 40 days though.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 25th Aug 16, 8:07 AM
    • 4,258 Posts
    • 4,436 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 25th Aug 16, 8:07 AM
    • 25th Aug 16, 8:07 AM
    Originally posted by IGN
    Sorry, Yes I do mean DWP when I say 'We'.
    • stevenpc
    • By stevenpc 22nd Mar 17, 4:46 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    stevenpc
    • 22nd Mar 17, 4:46 AM
    dwp & bank statements
    • 22nd Mar 17, 4:46 AM
    when you give or send bank statements to the DWP do they have the rite to keep them or if when sent or given to them you inform them that you want them returned can they refuse to return them and how long can they keep them?
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 22nd Mar 17, 7:58 AM
    • 4,258 Posts
    • 4,436 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 22nd Mar 17, 7:58 AM
    • 22nd Mar 17, 7:58 AM
    when you give or send bank statements to the DWP do they have the rite to keep them or if when sent or given to them you inform them that you want them returned can they refuse to return them and how long can they keep them?
    Originally posted by stevenpc
    DWP should always return bank statements to you as quickly as possible. They will take their own copies and retain those. They do however need to see originals as it's comparatively easy to tamper with information and that wouldn't necessarily be obvious on a photocopy.
    • stevenpc
    • By stevenpc 28th Nov 17, 8:38 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    stevenpc
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:38 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:38 AM
    DWP should always return bank statements to you as quickly as possible. They will take their own copies and retain those. They do however need to see originals as it's comparatively easy to tamper with information and that wouldn't necessarily be obvious on a photocopy.
    as its now been almost 9 months since i handed statements into dwp with a letter saying they where to be returned and todate they have not been returned and have not replied to 2 letters what if any action can i take to get them back b4 they end up on some council tip ?
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 28th Nov 17, 11:16 AM
    • 4,258 Posts
    • 4,436 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Call again and say that you want to make an official complaint about non-return of bank statements. There is a form they can send to you and hopefully it will kick somebody into action to dig them out and return them.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 28th Nov 17, 12:08 PM
    • 9,882 Posts
    • 7,362 Thanks
    GunJack
    They do however need to see originals as it's comparatively easy to tamper with information and that wouldn't necessarily be obvious on a photocopy.
    How does that work in these days of online account management and no paper statements?
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • stevenpc
    • By stevenpc 28th Nov 17, 12:32 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    stevenpc
    How does that work in these days of online account management and no paper statements?
    Originally posted by GunJack
    if youre bank account is still active you can if you have a printer print them off if you dont ahve a printer you can pop in2 your bank and ask them and they will print them off for you.Thats what i was able to do with an active bank account.However in my case they wanted statements from bank accounts that had been closed for several years so that was not so easy.If you dont have a bank branch and its just the type thats online only you can either phone and ask them for statements to be sent to you ( could be a charge and expensive ) or send a sar with the required fee think its £10 and they have to send them to you but they have 40 days to do it.
    Last edited by stevenpc; 28-11-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 28th Nov 17, 3:18 PM
    • 4,258 Posts
    • 4,436 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Statements you have printed from an online account would normally be accepted. Photocopies aren't generally accepted because it is so easy to doctor them.
    • stevenpc
    • By stevenpc 28th Nov 17, 3:49 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    stevenpc
    do you have to allow them to copy your statements or can you refuse but allow them to make notes from the statements?
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 28th Nov 17, 11:43 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    Mersey
    as its now been almost 9 months since i handed statements into dwp with a letter saying they where to be returned and todate they have not been returned and have not replied to 2 letters what if any action can i take to get them back b4 they end up on some council tip ?

Sadly the DWP do lose a lot of correspondence, but hopefully they scanned the statements even if they lost the originals later on.

But failure to reply is maladministration in itself, so best complaining to the manager of the local JCP or Council dept (or District/Area JCP, if the two letters you mention were already sent to the JCP to no avail).

JCP > Area JCP > Chief Operating Officer @ DWP HQ > ICE is the route to take for complaints.

Most should be resolved at Area, although complaining to HQ can sometimes speed up the local office.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 29th Nov 17, 8:06 AM
    • 4,258 Posts
    • 4,436 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    do you have to allow them to copy your statements or can you refuse but allow them to make notes from the statements?
    You have to allow them to copy the statements. There may be information on there which is relevant, but not immediately obvious.
    • stevenpc
    • By stevenpc 29th Nov 17, 8:22 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    stevenpc
    any letters and bank statements i have sent have been addressed F.A.O.
    then name and address provided by the compliance officer and marked not to be opened this is as it was written down by the compliance officer at the interview in march. they where handed in to the local job centre and receipts obtained.I now have another interview on 5th December.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 29th Nov 17, 9:17 AM
    • 9,882 Posts
    • 7,362 Thanks
    GunJack
    Statements you have printed from an online account would normally be accepted. Photocopies aren't generally accepted because it is so easy to doctor them.
    Surely it's as easy to doctor something on a pc before printing (unless you're talking screenshots, but even then) and possibly easier than doctoring a photocopy, hence me asking...
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 29th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    • 4,258 Posts
    • 4,436 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Surely it's as easy to doctor something on a pc before printing (unless you're talking screenshots, but even then) and possibly easier than doctoring a photocopy, hence me asking...
    There's really not much point in going down the 'what if' scenarios. All I can say is what we would and would not accept when I worked on benefit processing.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 29th Nov 17, 12:28 PM
    • 9,882 Posts
    • 7,362 Thanks
    GunJack
    There's really not much point in going down the 'what if' scenarios. All I can say is what we would and would not accept when I worked on benefit processing.
    Fair'nuff, was interested as a techie, that's all
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,687Posts Today

6,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin