Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fourthtimelucky
    • By fourthtimelucky 24th Aug 16, 3:40 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 39Thanks
    fourthtimelucky
    FourthTimeLucky's 4th attempt to become debt free
    • 24th Aug 16, 3:40 PM
    FourthTimeLucky's 4th attempt to become debt free 24th Aug 16 at 3:40 PM
    Hi all, thanks for taking the time to stop by and have a nosy at my diary.

This is my third or fourth attempt at clearing a nagging debt that has accrued steadily with very little to show for it. Before I explain where it came from I will put the figures out there so it is out of the way.

Unsecured loan - £10,760.80 (40 payments remain – last one December 2019)
    Barclaycard - £1,102.65
    MBNA Credit Card - £1,989.93

The unsecured loan is with my bank and was to consolidate previous debts on a lower interest rate. I stupidly didn’t include the two credit cards that were 0% so rather than having one payment I have three outstanding debts. Barclaycard remains at 0% and I have a standing order of £100.00 in place which means it will be cleared July 2017 as it stands. The MBNA is at a standard rate and I have recently been clocking up extra spends on which I need to put a stop to. I have just this second cut the card up and popped it in to five different secure waste sacks in my office!

I plan to leave the loan to its own devices for now as the payment comes out of my account on payday. I also plan to leave the Barclaycard at £100.00 per month as it remains interest free for the life of the balance.

My first decision is whether to transfer the MBNA balance to the Barclaycard where I have a 0% offer for fifteen months with a 2.9% fee (which would equate to £57.70). I am currently making minimum payments of around £40.00 and the interest is around the £25.00 mark each month so I am leaning toward making the transfer and closing the account down. In the past I have been guilty of keeping the card and account ‘for emergencies’ which obviously leads down the wrong path.

Having reread when I’ve typed so far I am pretty sure that transferring to 0% is the way forward as the balance transfer fee is just over two months’ worth of interest alone.

My circumstances have changed somewhat in the last three months. I now live back with my parents which whilst not being ideal in my mid-thirties does allow me to attack these debts with my outgoings somewhat reduced.

I will be attacking them a little less full on that some of the people here on the boards. I have had a pretty grim few months and have decided to allow myself to enjoy myself a little whilst addressing the outstanding balances. That said, I am not going to book for a month in the Bahamas; just allow myself some of the things I already have in place such as a tennis club membership, a football season ticket and some pre-planned trips away (within the UK).

I plan to adopt the MSE mantras and reign in my often unnecessary spending. I have an addiction to eating out, whether it be restaurants or lunches at work. I totalled up a weekly spend last week and it came to over £70 with two meals out and four out of five lunches at work. Whilst every week is different, it is sobering to know that at that rate I would be spending £3,640.00 a year.

I will update as often as I can and also want to get involved in and around the boards again. I used to be quite active on a previous username so will do what I can to contribute. Thanks again for reading.
Page 2
    • fourthtimelucky
    • By fourthtimelucky 5th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    fourthtimelucky
    A quiet day at work means I got the chance to redesign my debt planner spreadsheet today. It now auto updates from the new overpayments column. I do like a nice tidy spreadsheet.

Not wanting to let the column go unused I made an extra £30.00 payment off my credit card which takes my total paid so far to a nice round 3.0%.

I've sorted some gear to eBay at the weekend and any funds raised will go on the credit card too. On my spreadsheet I'm due to clear the CC balance in April 2018 but I discovered today my 0% balance transfer deal runs out in December 2017 so I'm going to aim to have it done by then.

Running totals now
    Credit card - £3,123.62
    Loan - £10,222.76
    Starting point Aug 2016 - £13,853.38
    Current total Dec 2016 - £12,128.36 - 12.16% paid off
    Debt free date (worst case) December 2019
    • Perpetual_Miser
    • By Perpetual_Miser 11th Oct 16, 8:07 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Perpetual_Miser
    Glad to see you're making progress.

Little and often really can make a huge difference. Not just in terms of getting the overall debt down, but also psychologically.

Seeing the debt reduce each month is a great feeling. I'm finding I'm already starting to see the snowball effect.

Keep going and good luck.
    DMP:

Starting Total: £10,254.47
    /
    Remaining: £7381.40 = (28.02% CLEARED)
    • fourthtimelucky
    • By fourthtimelucky 1st Nov 16, 3:52 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    fourthtimelucky
    After a bit of an absence I am back with a little update. Loan payment and credit card payments have been made for this month. I paid an extra £40.00 off the credit card as I had some overtime payments from work. Rather than use it to bulk up my current account I have put them to good use.

I have also devised a beast of a spreadsheet that details the separate debts and takes in to account the end of interest free periods and also any overpayments.

My outstanding loan balance is now £9,953.74 from £10,760.80 when I started my diary. It is nice to get it under the £10k mark although still a long way to go. The credit card balance is now £2,983.62 from £3,353.62 when I transferred the balance over. I guess that is another threshold now its under the £3k mark. Time to update that signature now...
    • fourthtimelucky
    • By fourthtimelucky 30th Nov 16, 2:49 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    fourthtimelucky
    Back for a monthly update and this one contains some good news. Today is pay day so out goes my loan repayment and my £100.00 off my credit card bill. In addition to this I have paid an extra £400.00 off my credit card. I won £378.00 in the union raffle at work for the first time. I have five lines a month at the cost of £1.00 and this was my first ever win.

Rather than be tempted to keep it for Christmas or a rainy day or even treat myself to a little bit of it I instead topped it up to £400.00 and paid it off my credit card. I did regret not keeping a little aside but would have just frittered it and my Christmas plans are all budgeted.

Signature updated to show recent payments. It is nice to see a jump like that in the percentage paid off.
    • Perpetual_Miser
    • By Perpetual_Miser 2nd Dec 16, 4:13 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Perpetual_Miser
    Glad to see you're making great progress.

Don't forget to enjoy Christmas, though, and be careful not to underestimate how expensive it can be! (speaking from experience here!).
    DMP:

Starting Total: £10,254.47
    /
    Remaining: £7381.40 = (28.02% CLEARED)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

694Posts Today

5,038Users online

Martin's Twitter