Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• fourthtimelucky
    • By fourthtimelucky 24th Aug 16, 3:40 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 33Thanks
    FourthTimeLucky's 4th attempt to become debt free
    • 24th Aug 16, 3:40 PM
    FourthTimeLucky's 4th attempt to become debt free 24th Aug 16 at 3:40 PM
    Hi all, thanks for taking the time to stop by and have a nosy at my diary.

This is my third or fourth attempt at clearing a nagging debt that has accrued steadily with very little to show for it. Before I explain where it came from I will put the figures out there so it is out of the way.

Unsecured loan - £10,760.80 (40 payments remain Ė last one December 2019)
    Barclaycard - £1,102.65
    MBNA Credit Card - £1,989.93

The unsecured loan is with my bank and was to consolidate previous debts on a lower interest rate. I stupidly didnít include the two credit cards that were 0% so rather than having one payment I have three outstanding debts. Barclaycard remains at 0% and I have a standing order of £100.00 in place which means it will be cleared July 2017 as it stands. The MBNA is at a standard rate and I have recently been clocking up extra spends on which I need to put a stop to. I have just this second cut the card up and popped it in to five different secure waste sacks in my office!

I plan to leave the loan to its own devices for now as the payment comes out of my account on payday. I also plan to leave the Barclaycard at £100.00 per month as it remains interest free for the life of the balance.

My first decision is whether to transfer the MBNA balance to the Barclaycard where I have a 0% offer for fifteen months with a 2.9% fee (which would equate to £57.70). I am currently making minimum payments of around £40.00 and the interest is around the £25.00 mark each month so I am leaning toward making the transfer and closing the account down. In the past I have been guilty of keeping the card and account Ďfor emergenciesí which obviously leads down the wrong path.

Having reread when Iíve typed so far I am pretty sure that transferring to 0% is the way forward as the balance transfer fee is just over two monthsí worth of interest alone.

My circumstances have changed somewhat in the last three months. I now live back with my parents which whilst not being ideal in my mid-thirties does allow me to attack these debts with my outgoings somewhat reduced.

I will be attacking them a little less full on that some of the people here on the boards. I have had a pretty grim few months and have decided to allow myself to enjoy myself a little whilst addressing the outstanding balances. That said, I am not going to book for a month in the Bahamas; just allow myself some of the things I already have in place such as a tennis club membership, a football season ticket and some pre-planned trips away (within the UK).

I plan to adopt the MSE mantras and reign in my often unnecessary spending. I have an addiction to eating out, whether it be restaurants or lunches at work. I totalled up a weekly spend last week and it came to over £70 with two meals out and four out of five lunches at work. Whilst every week is different, it is sobering to know that at that rate I would be spending £3,640.00 a year.

I will update as often as I can and also want to get involved in and around the boards again. I used to be quite active on a previous username so will do what I can to contribute. Thanks again for reading.
Page 2
    • fourthtimelucky
    • By fourthtimelucky 5th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    A quiet day at work means I got the chance to redesign my debt planner spreadsheet today. It now auto updates from the new overpayments column. I do like a nice tidy spreadsheet.

Not wanting to let the column go unused I made an extra £30.00 payment off my credit card which takes my total paid so far to a nice round 3.0%.

I've sorted some gear to eBay at the weekend and any funds raised will go on the credit card too. On my spreadsheet I'm due to clear the CC balance in April 2018 but I discovered today my 0% balance transfer deal runs out in December 2017 so I'm going to aim to have it done by then.

Running totals now
    Credit card - £3,123.62
    Loan - £10,222.76
    Starting point Aug 2016 - £13,853.38
    Current total Oct2016 - £13,446.38 - 3.0% paid off
    Debt free date (worst case) December 2019
    • Perpetual_Miser
    • By Perpetual_Miser 11th Oct 16, 8:07 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Glad to see you're making progress.

Little and often really can make a huge difference. Not just in terms of getting the overall debt down, but also psychologically.

Seeing the debt reduce each month is a great feeling. I'm finding I'm already starting to see the snowball effect.

Keep going and good luck.

Starting Total: £10,254.47
    Remaining: £8,984.24 = (12.39% CLEARED)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,458Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin