Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • angel549
    • By angel549 24th Aug 16, 10:14 AM
    • 25Posts
    • 14Thanks
    angel549
    Is my partner classed as a 'New customer'?
    • 24th Aug 16, 10:14 AM
    Is my partner classed as a 'New customer'? 24th Aug 16 at 10:14 AM
    I have had the full Sky package (inc sports & HD) for over a year and we pay around £120 a month despite not even having a home phone, living in a flat with only one output (so cannot record one channel and watch another) and having quite slow broadband (again, due to being in a block of flats).

I have previously tried haggling several times and am useless at it! I think they once gave me about £10 off for a year, but I know some people get way more, and even when I have put a cancellation in place (which I then obviously had to retract last minute) I did not get offered a better deal.

I cannot get Virgin in my building and we like having the full package so Freeview is out. So Sky is our only option, but i feel like im being taken for a mug paying so much!

I am forever seeing these great 'new customers only' deals which Im not eligible for. So my question is - could we cancel my subscription, and sign up for a new customer deal in my boyfriends name? Or will this not work as it is the same address?

Thanks for any advice! x
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 24th Aug 16, 10:16 AM
    • 29,942 Posts
    • 35,455 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 24th Aug 16, 10:16 AM
    • 24th Aug 16, 10:16 AM
    give 30 days notice as its too expensive, sit back and continually check "my offers" on your online sky account to see what pops up

wait for retentions to ring you to haggle , "its way too much , too expensive "

be prepared to pass the 30 days and live without for a few days
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • angel549
    • By angel549 25th Aug 16, 9:04 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    angel549
    • 25th Aug 16, 9:04 AM
    • 25th Aug 16, 9:04 AM
    Thanks Browntoa. Unfortunately my boyfriend absolutely refuses to be without his beloved sports and movies for even just a few days. He's not like us money savers and would happily pay full price for anything without a thought.

Still will have a go again with the 30 days notice, wait until the last couple of days then call to say i want to stay if i havent received a decent offer. Thanks for the advice :-)
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 25th Aug 16, 9:09 AM
    • 29,942 Posts
    • 35,455 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 25th Aug 16, 9:09 AM
    • 25th Aug 16, 9:09 AM
    Got the feeling they got wise to the swap of names avenue for new customers

Keep checking your online account after giving notice

Give them sob story about reduced hours at work , money's tight , going to BT TV as footballs free and prices are lower , you really cannot afford that much . Be prepared to refuse an initial 30% , look for 50-60 % , look at taking everything including phone from them unless you already do so
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 25th Aug 16, 6:24 PM
    • 5,120 Posts
    • 3,116 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 25th Aug 16, 6:24 PM
    • 25th Aug 16, 6:24 PM
    If they did catch you, you'd be stuck with the 12 month contract, but at full price. Someone reported , on here, that it happened to either them or someone they knew.
    • angel549
    • By angel549 26th Aug 16, 9:11 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    angel549
    • 26th Aug 16, 9:11 AM
    • 26th Aug 16, 9:11 AM
    Give them sob story about reduced hours at work , money's tight , going to BT TV as footballs free and prices are lower , you really cannot afford that much . Be prepared to refuse an initial 30% , look for 50-60 % , look at taking everything including phone from them unless you already do so
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Will i get away with that given that I still want the full tv package (movies, sports, all channels, HD) and best possible broadband? Im worried they will just suggest i save money by not having certain extras that i currently pay for. Not fussed at all about homephone/landline, but think i need to still pay for it to get broadband?

We already pay BT for their football channels too, so it really is a massive bill at the end of it :-(
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 26th Aug 16, 11:10 AM
    • 8,553 Posts
    • 3,444 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 26th Aug 16, 11:10 AM
    • 26th Aug 16, 11:10 AM
    <<Not fussed at all about homephone/landline, but think i need to still pay for it to get broadband? >>

Yes you need a landline/ data line .
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 26th Aug 16, 5:38 PM
    • 5,120 Posts
    • 3,116 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 26th Aug 16, 5:38 PM
    • 26th Aug 16, 5:38 PM
    Will i get away with that given that I still want the full tv package (movies, sports, all channels, HD) and best possible broadband? Im worried they will just suggest i save money by not having certain extras that i currently pay for. Not fussed at all about homephone/landline, but think i need to still pay for it to get broadband?

We already pay BT for their football channels too, so it really is a massive bill at the end of it :-(
    Originally posted by angel549

If they suggest dropping extras, say it's still not worth the money, then when they offer X% off you can take what you please , but I believe it's rare to get an offer of reduction on the HD (don't have it so can't comment).

As tv needs more notice, deal with just tv , first (ie cancel).
    • rusty_f
    • By rusty_f 26th Aug 16, 10:55 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    rusty_f
    • 26th Aug 16, 10:55 PM
    • 26th Aug 16, 10:55 PM
    Thanks Browntoa. Unfortunately my boyfriend absolutely refuses to be without his beloved sports and movies for even just a few days. He's not like us money savers and would happily pay full price for anything without a thought.

Still will have a go again with the 30 days notice, wait until the last couple of days then call to say i want to stay if i havent received a decent offer. Thanks for the advice :-)
    You don't have to follow through with the 30 day notice period. You can always call up on day 29 and see what they will do for you, and worst case you can just reinstate.

However, it is definitely worth doing. My last 60% discount came to an end this month and I called to cancel. I didn't even have to go through with serving notice, they immediately offered me a 60% discount on a new 12 month contract which I took immediately. I probably could have pushed for not being tied into a contract, but it would have meant going through with giving notice and then haggling during that 30 day window. Being in a contract doesn't bother me though as I wouldn't move from Sky by choice.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 26th Aug 16, 11:16 PM
    • 8,288 Posts
    • 48,907 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    Are you not due to go on holiday or away for a long weekend; make sure that the end of the 30 day period coincides with that holiday/long weekend away and your partner won't have missed that much TV.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • angel549
    • By angel549 19th Sep 16, 2:46 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    angel549
    thanks so much! I followed your advice, got 60% off my tv package, im now saving £50 a month!!! Thank you x
    • soolin
    • By soolin 21st Sep 16, 5:38 PM
    • 57,439 Posts
    • 40,568 Thanks
    soolin
    I just found this thread and was interested in the results that some people have got as I've cancelled my full Sky TV package and have my fingers crossed that I get a decent offer before the 30 days is up. I have been using offers for the past couple of years and keeping my bill to around £60 a month but my current monthly bill is now £80 and the best I could get on the phone was a 20% reduction. I've already had the 'sorry you are leaving us' email and will log in again in a few days to see if I have any offers. Wish me luck!
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 21st Sep 16, 7:30 PM
    • 5,120 Posts
    • 3,116 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I'm 10 days into cancellation and beyond the 50% off for 10 months offer, made at the time, have had no further offers. In fact the My Offers link has disappeared from My Sky.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 22nd Sep 16, 9:21 AM
    • 57,439 Posts
    • 40,568 Thanks
    soolin
    I'm 10 days into cancellation and beyond the 50% off for 10 months offer, made at the time, have had no further offers. In fact the My Offers link has disappeared from My Sky.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    My 'offer' link has now gone as well , it says to phone them for information.

I would have been happy with 50% or even 40%, I thought after 10+ years 20% was a bit mean.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • angel549
    • By angel549 22nd Sep 16, 10:22 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    angel549
    Update - how i more than halved the price!
    Right, so here's how it went for me (hope this helps others!):

I was paying £108 for the full Sky TV package, HD, 3D, Sports & Movies, Sky Go Extra, Phone, Broadband, line rental and Voicemail

I had no idea i was paying for Sky Go Extra or Voicemail, so wanted to cancel those. And i no longer have a home phone so wanted to cancel that too. I still wanted broadband and the full bells and whistles TV package.

I called to cancel saying that it was too expensive so was going to take the BT offer - £5.99 plus line rental for broadband and freeview. They suggested reducing my package to save costs, i told them it was all or nothing. I spent half hour on the phone while they asked questions and was eventually offered everything i wanted for £83. I told them it was still too expensive to please proceed with my 30 days notice for cancellation. They advised me to contact BT to swap over my broadband and line rental (i never did this).

Two weeks later, i received an email offering me 60% off my TV package. I called to speak to someone to enquire what the new cost would be. She told me £49.60 until February when a deal i have on my broadband ends, then it will be £56, but 'just call up and renegotiate that when it happens'.

Then next september, it will go up to £86. Again, she told me to call then to renegotiate.

So my advice is - call and give 30 days notice to cancel. Then hold your balls and wait it out! I just made a note in my diary to call 2 days before the contract ended if i hadnt heard anything. Maybe i couldve got even more off if i'd held out, but £108 down to £50 was good enough for me :-)

Good luck everyone!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 22nd Sep 16, 10:26 AM
    • 57,439 Posts
    • 40,568 Thanks
    soolin
    I'm holding out for my offer, fingers crossed. I have also put a note in my diary for 3 days before my notice period is up in case I need to have a rethink.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 22nd Sep 16, 3:04 PM
    • 5,120 Posts
    • 3,116 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I am quite happy to let tv go off and stay off, unless they make a very good offer (last year's was 50% off plus £50 credit; fine for just Original), but it's a good phone/broadband deal that is essential and I have yet to negotiate that.
    • angel549
    • By angel549 23rd Sep 16, 8:53 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    angel549
    I am quite happy to let tv go off and stay off, unless they make a very good offer (last year's was 50% off plus £50 credit; fine for just Original), but it's a good phone/broadband deal that is essential and I have yet to negotiate that.
    In that case, you will have a really good argument! BT are currently offering a deal - broadband and freeview TV for £5.99, plus £15.99 line rental. Im sure they would throw in a phone package for cheap (or lie and tell sky they did!).

So you can say you're only willing to stay with them if they can better the offer as you're a loyal customer and feel they should recognise that. Let them make an offer, and if it's not the equivelant of about £20 including the basic TV channels as a free extra, then give 30 days notice to cancel.

Good luck! #powertothepeople
    • angel549
    • By angel549 23rd Sep 16, 3:44 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    angel549
    Thought you might be interested in this - Sky obviously haven't set their emails correctly to stop sending me Cancellation offers. I've received the below today and sounds perfect for what you need! This has been sent to me 3 weeks after i called and gave 30 days notice to cancel:

Just because you’re leaving Sky TV, doesn’t mean you have to give up your Sky+HD box.
    As a Sky Broadband customer, we can keep it active for you even after your subscription ends. That means that all your favourite Sky+ features will still be yours to enjoy at no extra cost.

So you can continue to:
    • Pause, rewind and record live TV
    • Use Catch Up TV services so you never have to miss your favourite shows
    • Watch 240 free-to-air TV channels at no extra cost
    • And access Sky Store to buy or rent the latest blockbuster hits

Plus, we’ll also give you your Sky Broadband Unlimited free for a year

It’s all part of your offer. Keep the Sky+ features you know and love, and your Sky Broadband Unlimited is on us for the next 12 months. All you have to do is continue paying £17.40 a month for your Sky Line Rental. That’s it.

Please go online or call us on 08442 411 380 before Sep 30 to make the most of all the great entertainment for less.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 23rd Sep 16, 5:58 PM
    • 5,120 Posts
    • 3,116 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Thought you might be interested in this - Sky obviously haven't set their emails correctly to stop sending me Cancellation offers. I've received the below today and sounds perfect for what you need! This has been sent to me 3 weeks after i called and gave 30 days notice to cancel:

Just because you’re leaving Sky TV, doesn’t mean you have to give up your Sky+HD box.
    As a Sky Broadband customer, we can keep it active for you even after your subscription ends. That means that all your favourite Sky+ features will still be yours to enjoy at no extra cost. (I want free broadband and half price line, like I have now).

So you can continue to:
    • Pause, rewind and record live TV
    • Use Catch Up TV services so you never have to miss your favourite shows
    • Watch 240 free-to-air TV channels at no extra cost
    • And access Sky Store to buy or rent the latest blockbuster hits

Plus, we’ll also give you your Sky Broadband Unlimited free for a year

It’s all part of your offer. Keep the Sky+ features you know and love, and your Sky Broadband Unlimited is on us for the next 12 months. All you have to do is continue paying £17.40 a month for your Sky Line Rental. That’s it.

Please go online or call us on 08442 411 380 before Sep 30 to make the most of all the great entertainment for less.
    I had that offer last year, but don't need it as we have two Humax boxes anyway.

This afternoon I got a side message on Outlook , offering 50% for 12 months and just had one offering 60% off, even on Original.

However, if the broadband/phone deal isn't good, I won't be considering tv at all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,130Posts Today

7,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: If a cheap clothing store admitted under 12s in foreign factories made their clothes would it stop you buying?

• RT @toes_pointy: @MoneySavingExp @MartinSLewis Feeling smug. Used MSE sky code to change bband provider, saved £150 & got £50 free credit.?

• MSE weekly email: Ending - Brit Gas £300/yr off & free £30M&S, Vax 75%off, £15off Tesco Wine, £64/yr bband, £8 duvet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Follow Martin