Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spudsey
    • By Spudsey 23rd Aug 16, 12:56 PM
    • 154Posts
    • 157Thanks
    Spudsey
    Help with box bay window
    • 23rd Aug 16, 12:56 PM
    Help with box bay window 23rd Aug 16 at 12:56 PM
    Hi

We have a very annoying bay window in our lounge, which has a massive window sill as opposed to anymore ground space. I hope that explains it as I don't know what these type are called.

For years we have just had curtains going across the whole bay and net curtains, but as our lounge is so small we have now bought an inner track. However when we put our curtains up on it, it just looked odd! We have another window which is a normal window and having one different to the other just looks strange. Also there is now an empty space around the wall.

We would really love to start using the bay shelf as somewhere to store stuff as we are tight on space, but can't work out what to do about curtains! We like nets so don't want blinds.

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • wen-tom
    • By wen-tom 28th Aug 16, 8:39 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 783 Thanks
    wen-tom
    • 28th Aug 16, 8:39 PM
    • 28th Aug 16, 8:39 PM
    maybe a photo of what you have would help? in what way does it look odd?
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 28th Aug 16, 9:58 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 1,628 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 28th Aug 16, 9:58 PM
    • 28th Aug 16, 9:58 PM
    Have you considered plantation shutters?
    • pandarabbit
    • By pandarabbit 9th Sep 16, 2:28 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    pandarabbit
    • 9th Sep 16, 2:28 PM
    • 9th Sep 16, 2:28 PM
    I have plantation shutters on my box bay! They look great and work really well.

Got mine at the shutter store with sarah beeny. they were much cheaper than the local firm, all DIY. worth a look if you still arent sure what to do with yours!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 11th Sep 16, 9:32 AM
    • 4,706 Posts
    • 20,401 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 11th Sep 16, 9:32 AM
    • 11th Sep 16, 9:32 AM
    We have box bay windows down out street. Several of our neighbours have bricked in below the box bay and removed the original wall thereby turning it into a proper bay window. If your lounge is small is this an option for you? It may well mean relocating a radiator if you've got one below the window - ours a semi circular bays as opposed to square ones so people have gone with two smaller radiators one on either side as a curved radiator under the window would be very expensive. It's easier if your box bay is square.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

742Posts Today

6,165Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin