Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sam M
    • By MSE Sam M 22nd Aug 16, 5:02 PM
    • 222Posts
    • 155Thanks
    MSE Sam M
    Nationwide FlexStudent account 2016/2017: We want your feedback
    • 22nd Aug 16, 5:02 PM
    Nationwide FlexStudent account 2016/2017: We want your feedback 22nd Aug 16 at 5:02 PM
    Hi all,

In our Student Accounts 2016/17 guide the Nationwide FlexStudent Account is one of our top picks.

We're after feedback from people who have applied this year and want to know your experience and if you had any trouble getting the overdraft.

Thanks for all help in advance
Page 1
    • AlexWorrall
    • By AlexWorrall 24th Aug 16, 1:15 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlexWorrall
    • 24th Aug 16, 1:15 PM
    • 24th Aug 16, 1:15 PM
    Mature students - BEWARE, there's a potential nasty surprise for you in the Student Account: If you are a mature student with things like a mortgage and maybe a car loan, you might apply for the Student Account and be rejected. In my wife's case, this was apparently because the NW considered she was a bad risk as she had no income to service those debts even though I have the income to support the (joint) debts, and she has savings amassed specifically to cover the income gap for this time. This decline also results in a negative on your credit rating.

It gets crazier: Their alternative offer is a Basic Account (i.e. no overdraft) - but she apply for this, and she was rejected because the application asks if you have money problems, and when you say 'No' you fail the criteria for the account.

My wife is a 45+ y.o. with a 25+ year plus unblemished history with NW - they have our bank account and our mortgage and she HAD a perfect credit rating before we applied for the student account (we checked).

Even the local branch said this sounded bonkers but HO wouldn't budge. It seems that NW really haven't thought this one through.
    • Emfrog
    • By Emfrog 6th Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emfrog
    • 6th Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    • 6th Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    REJECTED! Again a mature student and also a Nationwide customer! Marvellous!! Looks like I will have to bank elsewhere!
    • roytour
    • By roytour 7th Sep 16, 5:45 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    roytour
    • 7th Sep 16, 5:45 AM
    • 7th Sep 16, 5:45 AM
    I was looking at this for my son who starts uni this year but felt the benefits insufficient and instead we went the santander route
    • Luckystar
    • By Luckystar 17th Sep 16, 12:47 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 3,180 Thanks
    Luckystar
    • 17th Sep 16, 12:47 PM
    • 17th Sep 16, 12:47 PM
    My 18 year old son opened the flex student account yesterday, he already has the standard flex account with them which he opened at 16. Accepted no problem with the full 1000 overdraft in the first year. He said the advisor explained it all really well. Although it offers no extras like a railcard, Amazon giftcard etc he thought it was easier than starting again with another bank. The only negative was he couldn't switch his existing flex account to the student, only the flexone account allows the switch.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

77Posts Today

2,681Users online

Martin's Twitter