Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boqq
    • By boqq 21st Aug 16, 9:59 PM
    • 78Posts
    • 7Thanks
    boqq
    Slow cooker which best buys
    • 21st Aug 16, 9:59 PM
    Slow cooker which best buys 21st Aug 16 at 9:59 PM
    i have been using a crockpot in the oven but now want to buy a slow cooker. Which one would you recommend and what size for a family of four? Any idea which are the Which best buys?
Page 1
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 22nd Aug 16, 9:07 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    • 22nd Aug 16, 9:07 AM
    • 22nd Aug 16, 9:07 AM
    No idea, but I used a cheap Tesco one for about 4 years - cost a tenner! That would be about the right size, or the next size up isn't much more expensive. Beyond that you get fancy things like timers etc that seem a bit excessive with a slow cooker...
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 22nd Aug 16, 7:31 PM
    • 36,807 Posts
    • 33,026 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 22nd Aug 16, 7:31 PM
    • 22nd Aug 16, 7:31 PM
    I have an old Tefal one which has three settings: High, Low, and High going down to Low when it's hot enough.

Very rarely use Low, but the High-->Low is jolly useful!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    Still knitting! Current projects: 2 shawls, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure ...
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 23rd Aug 16, 2:49 PM
    • 5,807 Posts
    • 3,429 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 23rd Aug 16, 2:49 PM
    • 23rd Aug 16, 2:49 PM
    I have a good looking (black) 3.5 litre CrockPot, which I got half price from Tesco, as well as using double up and it performs very well, being sturdier than Tesco's cheapie and an Aldi one which I took back, as it was too slow (stew not done after 6 hours on high).

However, being just two of us, I found myself preparing food which lasted two meals (so having no freezer space meant eating the same two days together), so bought a 1.5 litre silver coloured Breville using free Amazon vouchers.

The latter is not as well made, but is actually quicker for small meals (two people at most). However, the lid doesn't fit as well (lots report a rattling lid) and the contents can soon become dry, if you don't add enough liquid.

So for two of us it's the little Breville, with the larger one being used for family meals, stews and joints. (The pot needs to be filled almost to the top as the heat is provided via the base and sides of the container.)
    Last edited by teddysmum; 26-08-2016 at 5:57 PM.
    • Hemera
    • By Hemera 24th Aug 16, 12:10 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Hemera
    • 24th Aug 16, 12:10 PM
    • 24th Aug 16, 12:10 PM
    I have a Morphy Richards, 3.5L capacity, which works very well and holds 4 portions perfectly, at least for stuff like soups, stews with diced meat and the like. I also use it to cook meat on the bone (chicken legs and lamb steaks mostly), and these end up being a little crowded, but nothing terrible.

I paid 20£ for it, they have a larger version (around 6L) for a slightly higher price.
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 24th Aug 16, 1:13 PM
    • 21,111 Posts
    • 36,360 Thanks
    SailorSam
    • 24th Aug 16, 1:13 PM
    • 24th Aug 16, 1:13 PM
    I think i paid about a tenner for the basic Cookworks one from Argos. Probably use it a couple of times a week for 6/7yrs now.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
    • susancs
    • By susancs 24th Aug 16, 2:18 PM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 3,590 Thanks
    susancs
    • 24th Aug 16, 2:18 PM
    • 24th Aug 16, 2:18 PM
    I have an oval design Morphy Richards, which I purchased from Costco some years ago. Mine is a big 6 litre one for a family of 4, but as our children are teenagers we usually have extra teens at meal time so it caters for these as well (just add extra veg or a can of chopped tomato etc).

I find mine so useful as put it on low in the morning before work and it is done by the time I come home. I do chilli, chicken curry, stews, soup in it. When I have milk leftover I also make rice pudding in it (take hours but so easy just to meaure in pudding rice, sugar and milk and leave it). A firend of mine fills hers with hot water and puts hotdogs in them to keep them hot during her fireworks annual party and another who likes boiled bacon, cooks her joint of bacon in her slow cooker.

Maybe have a look on Amazon for reviews to see which slow cooker you prefer.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 27th Aug 16, 9:27 AM
    • 14,609 Posts
    • 19,650 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 27th Aug 16, 9:27 AM
    • 27th Aug 16, 9:27 AM
    Wouldn't touch a Morphy Richards one with a bargepole!!

The clip holding the front cover on eventually fails and snaps due to the heating and cooling of the cooker rendering it dangerous. A blatant manufacturing fault but Morphy Richards couldn't care less!

Plenty of other cheap ones that will no doubt last longer than a Morphy Richards one.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • susancs
    • By susancs 27th Aug 16, 10:23 AM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 3,590 Thanks
    susancs
    • 27th Aug 16, 10:23 AM
    • 27th Aug 16, 10:23 AM
    Wouldn't touch a Morphy Richards one with a bargepole!!

The clip holding the front cover on eventually fails and snaps due to the heating and cooling of the cooker rendering it dangerous. A blatant manufacturing fault but Morphy Richards couldn't care less!

Plenty of other cheap ones that will no doubt last longer than a Morphy Richards one.
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    I cant see a clip on my stainless Morphy Richards one and had it years with no issues. Two family members have the same model and no problems over the years. Same model has a large number of really good reviews on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richards-Oval-Slow-Cooker/dp/B0000C6WH1/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472289586&sr=8-3&keywords=morphy+richards+slow+cooker
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 27th Aug 16, 10:55 AM
    • 14,609 Posts
    • 19,650 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    I cant see a clip on my stainless Morphy Richards one and had it years with no issues. Two family members have the same model and no problems over the years. Same model has a large number of really good reviews on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richards-Oval-Slow-Cooker/dp/B0000C6WH1/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472289586&sr=8-3&keywords=morphy+richards+slow+cooker
    Originally posted by susancs
    It is a fault when the front panel is moulded, so will only affect some of them. You cannot see the clip as it is on the inside, but once it snaps, there is nothing to hold the front panel on. Just a very poor and cheap design.

(I have a background in plastics engineering...)
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • trenttsullivan
    • By trenttsullivan 30th Aug 16, 1:40 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    trenttsullivan
    Thank you!
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 5th Sep 16, 4:34 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 2,873 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    Just bought this one:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/13662/Lakeland-15L-Slow-Cooker?gclid=CLTCjbrG-M4CFRE8GwodINQHIw&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!105383 298149!!!g!42886767744!&ef_id=V30MzgAABICWzeQ8:201 60905153335:s

to replace a much larger one (very old) which eventually gave up the ghost.

We are a family of 2, but I believe there is a larger model, and I love this one!
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
    • Waffle_On
    • By Waffle_On 5th Sep 16, 9:15 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    Waffle_On
    I have a Sear and Stew slow cooker. I got it to replace my cookworks one after the pot cracked. This one has a metal non stick pot, which has got rid of my two gripes about my old one - the weight of the pot (and worry about dropping it) and being difficult to clean. 3.5l is enough for a family of four most of the time, but if you plan to cook larger joints of meat or batch cook for the freezer go for 6l. It cooks quicker when there is less in it, but that's the only reason why a larger one would cause a problem when cooking for 4.
    Shrinking my mortgage!
    Nov 13 £166000

Feb 16 £148640
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,374Posts Today

7,679Users online

Martin's Twitter