Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MA61
    • By MA61 21st Aug 16, 9:28 AM
    • 74Posts
    • 70Thanks
    MA61
    Chases by debt recovery two years after purported offence
    • 21st Aug 16, 9:28 AM
    Chases by debt recovery two years after purported offence 21st Aug 16 at 9:28 AM
    Hi all
    I am posting reluctantly as I am trying to be sure I have read all the stickies etc but I didn't see these specific circumstances covered but please do forgive me if I have missed them, I do apologise.

I have just come back from sorting out my father's estate after he passed away abroad to find a letter from a debt recovery agency. The letter is dated earlier in August and has given me 14 days to pay a fine (which has already passed as I was not at home!).

It relates to a supposed PCN in summer of 2014. Apparently they wrote to me at my DVLA registered address and received no reply so have used a 'tracing service' to track me down, two years later and ask me for a sum well over £100.

I do not remember exactly the course of events at the time (as it was 2 years ago) but when I received the original NtK I think I used a standard letter to contest it. At the time I was moving house and as I had heard nothing further I assumed the matter closed.

I was a bit taken aback for them to come after me 2 years later, and as this does not seem to match anything else I have read in any of the guides etc, I am a bit unsure of what to do. I would really really appreciate some guidance on this.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your time.

P.S. I have been deliberately vague on some details because apparently these people read the forums???
Page 3
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 48,883 Posts
    • 62,386 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Continue here please, all in one thread. When you hit reply, we always see your thread at the top again.

Do I need to do concern myself that these disreputable shysters are also fifth columnists who read this forum?
    I wouldn't worry. There are plenty of shysters who read this forum. If they are that sad and have nothing better to do without contributing or posting or doing a day's honest work, let them...

Having said that, be careful what you post in terms of who was driving (don't post about it unless that's already admitted).
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

984Posts Today

6,699Users online

Martin's Twitter