Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sunshine62
    • By Sunshine62 20th Aug 16, 1:06 PM
    • 78Posts
    • 66Thanks
    Sunshine62
    Debenhams/Santander....saying she ticked the box
    • 20th Aug 16, 1:06 PM
    Debenhams/Santander....saying she ticked the box 20th Aug 16 at 1:06 PM
    My sister made a PPI claim on her Debenhams card, she had a letter back from Santander with a copy showing that "she" ticked the box. She clearly didn't as the person in store filled out the form and had very large writing whereas my sister has small writing and is clearly left handed.

My question is has anyone managed to dispute "the tick" question.

She originally contacted Genworth but was referred to Santander, has anyone had success in going back to Genworth with this kind of dispute.

Any help would be much appreciated.....I really need to help her as she has little time on her hands being a full time carer. This could be a large claim and I don't want her letting it slip away.
    Sunshine
Page 1
    • Carriem
    • By Carriem 20th Aug 16, 1:11 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Carriem
    • 20th Aug 16, 1:11 PM
    • 20th Aug 16, 1:11 PM
    Can I ask how old her card is? I am having trouble with Santander not finding my account with debenhams after originally saying they could? Sorry I can't answer about the tick box but mine was probably very similar as I was stood in front of the lady whilst she phoned through! I didn't even know what PPI was!
    • lisa0812
    • By lisa0812 20th Aug 16, 1:26 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    lisa0812
    • 20th Aug 16, 1:26 PM
    • 20th Aug 16, 1:26 PM
    Going through this at the mo. They stated in my "Claim Declined" letter that if I could show evidence of not working on the day I supposedly signed up for PPI, then they would look again at my claim. I have now sent them definitive proof from the HMRC that I was not working on the date somebody ticked the box. Waiting game now.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 20th Aug 16, 1:30 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 20th Aug 16, 1:30 PM
    • 20th Aug 16, 1:30 PM
    My sister made a PPI claim on her Debenhams card, she had a letter back from Santander with a copy showing that "she" ticked the box. She clearly didn't as the person in store filled out the form and had very large writing whereas my sister has small writing and is clearly left handed.

Any help would be much appreciated.....I really need to help her as she has little time on her hands being a full time carer. This could be a large claim and I don't want her letting it slip away.
    Originally posted by Sunshine62

Yes, in short (successfully argued that insurance cover box at the bottom of the CCA had not been ticked). I found the carbon copy - which was not ticked - from a Style card back from around 1998. Plus was a student at the time so PPI was neither requested nor needed. [Some staff had targets and incentives for signing up for such insurance cover back then so it's hardly surprising some fraud went on]

Although had to refer the matter to the Ombudsman (FOS). RBS eventually paid out. They've taken over the historic liability from the then finance company in Scotland, in the same way Santander are dealing with the liability from store cards from the then Arcadia Group [Debenhams, Dorothy Perkins, Top Shop, etc]
    Last edited by Mersey; 20-08-2016 at 1:35 PM.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • Sunshine62
    • By Sunshine62 20th Aug 16, 1:46 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Sunshine62
    • 20th Aug 16, 1:46 PM
    • 20th Aug 16, 1:46 PM
    Can I ask how old her card is? I am having trouble with Santander not finding my account with debenhams after originally saying they could? Sorry I can't answer about the tick box but mine was probably very similar as I was stood in front of the lady whilst she phoned through! I didn't even know what PPI was!
    Originally posted by Carriem

Cannot remember without looking at it but I know the date they refer to in the letter is not the day she opened the account as dates do not correspond but its early 2000s. The card was a Debenhams and the writing on it is massive as is the tick, definitely not my sisters writing.
    Sunshine
    • Sunshine62
    • By Sunshine62 20th Aug 16, 1:48 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Sunshine62
    • 20th Aug 16, 1:48 PM
    • 20th Aug 16, 1:48 PM
    Mersey, thanks but don't think my sister has the original, she was however able to provide them with the account number (closed)
    Sunshine
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 21st Aug 16, 6:12 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 21st Aug 16, 6:12 PM
    • 21st Aug 16, 6:12 PM

She originally contacted Genworth but was referred to Santander, has anyone had success in going back to Genworth with this kind of dispute.

What proof did you provide that she didn't sign off the form after the tick and that the signature was forged? Or that it was ticked after she signed and left the store?

With the case provided above by Mersey, the store staff committed fraud by ticking the box after they left the store, the original copy is proof of that. If you have that proof then provide it. However, that is very likely to be a tiny number of cases where staff were either knowingly acting illegally or were told to do something. In normal cases you would question why this charge was on your account when you got your first statement given you didn't agree to it and the charge would be a few pounds, refunded, PPI removed, case closed. How it went on for years without being raised is amazing.

The fact it was ticked by someone else is irrelevant, the store staff would simply have gone though what the policy was, your sister agreed to it and then signed it off. If she didn't want it she would simply have refused to sign the form if it was pre-ticked.
    Last edited by Nasqueron; 21-08-2016 at 6:17 PM.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 21st Aug 16, 8:59 PM
    • 85,092 Posts
    • 50,117 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 21st Aug 16, 8:59 PM
    • 21st Aug 16, 8:59 PM
    The card was a Debenhams and the writing on it is massive as is the tick, definitely not my sisters writing.
    That is not evidence of any wrongdoing. It could be that it was not ticked but when asked she agreed to it and the shop assistant ticked it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Lisa0812
    • By Lisa0812 31st Aug 16, 9:15 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Lisa0812
    • 31st Aug 16, 9:15 AM
    Success with Santander on old Debenhams Card
    • 31st Aug 16, 9:15 AM
    Hi

Found out this morning that I am getting £1,145.67 from Santander on my old (1998) Debenhams card.

Sent me the copy of form with ticked box etc, but I sent evidence from HMRC of not working at the time and have had a result.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 31st Aug 16, 10:07 AM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Hi

Found out this morning that I am getting £1,145.67 from Santander on my old (1998) Debenhams card.

Sent me the copy of form with ticked box etc, but I sent evidence from HMRC of not working at the time and have had a result.
    Originally posted by Lisa0812
    Which is fine as your case is separate as you were not working when the PPI was taken out as per your other post
    • Sunshine62
    • By Sunshine62 30th Sep 16, 10:34 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Sunshine62
    Which is fine as your case is separate as you were not working when the PPI was taken out as per your other post
    Originally posted by Nasqueron

Neither was my sister working. She did try to cancel it but they kept telling her that her husband would be covered.

How does she go about getting evidence from the HMRC
    Sunshine
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 30th Sep 16, 10:52 AM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Neither was my sister working. She did try to cancel it but they kept telling her that her husband would be covered.

How does she go about getting evidence from the HMRC
    See this is the issue with not providing all the details at the time. If she was not working and the card was in her name only it would have been miss-sold as she could never have claimed
    • bohica26
    • By bohica26 5th Oct 16, 11:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bohica26
    Help please
    I am a complete newby to forums! So please bear with me...I have submitted a PPI claim to Santander for my old Debenhams card which ran continuously from feb1993 to May 2013. The card was sold to me at a till point at my local store with the sales assisstant completing the application form for me in my presence. I have a reply from them stating that I was mis-sold PPI, but that only one premium was charged but, due to the time elapsed, their records from this period are 'incomplete' and have asked me if I have additional documentation to evidence that additional premiums were paid. The total purchases made during this period totalled a little under £18,500. It seems a little strange to me that I would have cancelled PPI after one payment when I wasn't even aware I had taken it out in the first place!! I am interested to know if anyone else out there has received such a letter. For information, they have offered me the princely sum of £1.15 as full and final settlement!!!
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 6th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I am a complete newby to forums! So please bear with me...I have submitted a PPI claim to Santander for my old Debenhams card which ran continuously from feb1993 to May 2013. The card was sold to me at a till point at my local store with the sales assisstant completing the application form for me in my presence. I have a reply from them stating that I was mis-sold PPI, but that only one premium was charged but, due to the time elapsed, their records from this period are 'incomplete' and have asked me if I have additional documentation to evidence that additional premiums were paid. The total purchases made during this period totalled a little under £18,500. It seems a little strange to me that I would have cancelled PPI after one payment when I wasn't even aware I had taken it out in the first place!! I am interested to know if anyone else out there has received such a letter. For information, they have offered me the princely sum of £1.15 as full and final settlement!!!
    Originally posted by bohica26
    PPI is only paid when you have a balance on the card (rather than paying off in full every month) so it is possible you only paid once.

Similarly, you could have cancelled the policy later.

If you know you have paid £18500 over the years do you have any documentation showing that? If so, send copies to them.

They can't magic up sums and if you don't have proof of what you paid you won't get any further
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 6th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    • 17,229 Posts
    • 7,772 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    If you know you have paid £18500 over the years do you have any documentation showing that? If so, send copies to them.
    The OP states that he made £18,500 worth of PURCHASES on his credit card, not that he paid this amount in PPI. Little point sending evidence of purchases, the OP needs to send evidence of paying more PPI than the Bank are refunding...
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 6th Oct 16, 2:17 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    The OP states that he made £18,500 worth of PURCHASES on his credit card, not that he paid this amount in PPI. Little point sending evidence of purchases, the OP needs to send evidence of paying more PPI than the Bank are refunding...
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    I didn't say they paid £18500 in PPI

bohica26 said that Santander only had evidence of PPI payments of £1.15 (or whatever it was + interest) but bohica26 also said they had paid £18500 on the card.

If they have proof of that payment (in the form of statements) then said statements would show if there was PPI, so Santander could use them to calculate if any more was due - hence them asking for bohica26's documentation

If bohica26 has no proof that such a sum was paid then they cannot pay any more
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 6th Oct 16, 2:47 PM
    • 17,229 Posts
    • 7,772 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I didn't say they paid £18500 in PPI
    Just to reiterate, the OP needs to simply send evidence of paying more PPI than the Bank are refunding...

Proof of £18,500 in purchases will be useless unless such proof also shows PPI attached.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 6th Oct 16, 2:59 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Just to reiterate, the OP needs to simply send evidence of paying more PPI than the Bank are refunding...

Proof of £18,500 in purchases will be useless unless such proof also shows PPI attached.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Which is what I said, if they have statements supporting the claim they spent £18500 on the card they will show PPI. If they are just estimating this amount such a claim is effectively worthless as it is not proof of PPI payments - as stated previously they could have cancelled the PPI or paid off the balance every month in full thus not paying any PPI
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 6th Oct 16, 3:49 PM
    • 17,229 Posts
    • 7,772 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Just to reiterate, again, the OP needs to simply send evidence of paying more PPI than the Bank are refunding...
    • myrtle15
    • By myrtle15 16th Oct 16, 1:00 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    myrtle15
    Hi All,
    Keep up with your claims for Debenhams and Dorothy Perkins storecards! Santander have just upheld my complaint and are refunding me £4855 (total for both). My claim was put in 8 weeks ago for cards I took out in 1998 and had been paying the balance back until 2005. My complaint was based on the fact that I was offered the storecards in order to receive 10% or 20% off the purchases at the sales tillpoint. The cashier filled in the form and at no time was PPI explained to me, neither then nor later.
    I didn't hold out much hope of winning my case, as I could only find a couple of old statements from 1998 (a very lucky chance from clearing out the loft in a house move). Luckily, it showed PPI premium being deducted, as well as the extortionate monthly rate of interest I was paying for using these storecards too!
    Santander say they have reconstructed my account prior to their full transactional records from 2005, therefore an averaged of the total figures has been calculated to reach their refund figure. Considering that I don't have anymore records, to back up my belief that I am quite likely owed significantly more than this, I think this offer is not altogether unrealistic.

Good luck with your complaints!

Myrtle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,561Posts Today

7,303Users online

Martin's Twitter