Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 18th Aug 16, 4:30 PM
    • 218Posts
    • 67Thanks
    MSE Nick
    MSE News: Virgin Media to hit customers with price rise of up to £42/year
    • 18th Aug 16, 4:30 PM
    MSE News: Virgin Media to hit customers with price rise of up to £42/year 18th Aug 16 at 4:30 PM
    5.2 million Virgin Media home phone, broadband and TV customers will see prices rise by an average of 5.1% from November. But you're likely to be able to leave your contract penalty-free, or if you're willing to stay, you can beat the hike by haggling...
    Read the full story:
    ''Virgin Media to hit customers with price rise of up to £42/year Ė beat the hike'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 5
    • ScoobyZ
    • By ScoobyZ 11th Sep 16, 12:03 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    ScoobyZ
    yes it's a £2.99 per month increase for the broadband only service.
    Originally posted by jazzy
    £3.49 increase BB for 70 MB here. I paid phone in advance.

I'm going to wait until 12 months is up in Jan and negotiate the increase back and a new 12 months. If not might give sky a go.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 11th Sep 16, 12:23 PM
    • 7,691 Posts
    • 11,350 Thanks
    worried jim
    So does the BT Youview box box connect to ethernet or WIFI or phoneline ?

I would quite like something to watch ITV player and CH4 on my TV
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    Just plug it in via ethernet, re-tune the box and hey presto!
    • mikeizz
    • By mikeizz 15th Sep 16, 8:21 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    mikeizz
    Still not had anything in the post about the price increase even though i am due one , is this the case for others also? I want to ring up and cancel but apprehensive without the supposed letter.
    • darthpaul6
    • By darthpaul6 15th Sep 16, 9:17 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    darthpaul6
    We've not had any kind of notification yet either.
    • darthpaul6
    • By darthpaul6 15th Sep 16, 9:32 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    darthpaul6
    Has anyone been able to use the price increases to step down from the TV/Phone/Broadband "Big Easy" package to just Phone and Broadband? If so, does that constitute a new contract? Were you able to keep the existing router or did it have to go back with the TV box?
    We never use the phone but the Broadband is reliable. I've found the TV package worse than Freeview, which wasn't enabled in our house when we moved in but is now.
    • abby1234519
    • By abby1234519 15th Sep 16, 1:03 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 2,711 Thanks
    abby1234519
    Originally posted by darthpaul6
    Check your emails - that's how I received mine

I pay £31.50 for 70mb internet, then essentially freeview on the Tivo Box.

I want to just downgrade to internet only - looking at plusnet. Needs to be fibre as we stream a lot.

I have a youview box upstairs that I can move downstairs - amazon fire sticks as OH is a student so get half price amazon prime video
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: £25158.71

December pay off target: £357.57/£887.71

Budgeted spends (car maintenance, phone contracts, food, clothing etc) for £2017: £11,100

Spend 10% less goal is £9990.

Must underspend by £92.50 a month
    • Chemical_Grrl
    • By Chemical_Grrl 15th Sep 16, 3:48 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Chemical_Grrl
    Contract negotiations
    Ive tried negotiating and they offered me a £50 credit and £3 off a month, if I call and say I want to cancel will they try and get me to stay by contacting me before the cancellation date? I don't really want to leave but I don't think I'll get the best deal unless I say I'm leaving
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 15th Sep 16, 4:13 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 2,615 Thanks
    latecomer
    Originally posted by darthpaul6
    One of the guys at work also hadn't had any notification but he wanted to use it to cancel so asked Virgin about it and they confirmed his would be increasing and then make sure he got the notification.
    • abby1234519
    • By abby1234519 15th Sep 16, 4:47 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 2,711 Thanks
    abby1234519
    Instead of moving (because I'd probably have to pay for a new line) I've got them to downgrade me to 50mb and no phone =£25 a month
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: £25158.71

December pay off target: £357.57/£887.71

Budgeted spends (car maintenance, phone contracts, food, clothing etc) for £2017: £11,100

Spend 10% less goal is £9990.

Must underspend by £92.50 a month
    • ScoobyZ
    • By ScoobyZ 16th Sep 16, 7:19 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    ScoobyZ
    Instead of moving (because I'd probably have to pay for a new line) I've got them to downgrade me to 50mb and no phone =£25 a month
    Originally posted by abby1234519
    I paid £100 pre pay line
    £7.99 for 9 months 70mb
    10.99 for 3 month 70mb

Although will be £3.49 more for 2 months but will get that back when I call retention in December.

Works out about £17 a month.
    • nadiamaj
    • By nadiamaj 16th Sep 16, 10:27 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nadiamaj
    which bb?
    Hi

same as everyone i have received the price rise email .

Been with virgin - phone+ broadband for many years and the in ternet service has gone down dramatically.

so what alternative deals is everyone looking at?
    • Mckenna
    • By Mckenna 16th Sep 16, 10:30 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mckenna
    Hi

same as everyone i have received the price rise email .

Been with virgin - phone+ broadband for many years and the in ternet service has gone down dramatically.

so what alternative deals is everyone looking at?
    Originally posted by nadiamaj
    Unfortunately none atm, there aren't any amazing deals out there and where i live i would have to step down to 30-40 mbs elsewhere :/
    • nadiamaj
    • By nadiamaj 16th Sep 16, 10:32 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nadiamaj
    i pay £27.99 for phone and 50mbs

i think youre still paying too much ?
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 16th Sep 16, 11:45 AM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    AndyPK
    as long as that includes line rental, No. That is a good price
    • blackanchorage
    • By blackanchorage 24th Sep 16, 12:44 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    blackanchorage
    10% increase, bored with haggling every year, decided it is time for a switch to plusnet for a similar price.
    • easy
    • By easy 24th Sep 16, 6:28 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 2,520 Thanks
    easy
    Right here goes
    we have the Big Easy package here costs us £52.53 per month, and just received the letter to say that it's going up £3.49 per month from Nov.

Talk unlimited (needed cos elderly mother & disabled sister both live 100+ miles away, & no mobile signal in this house)
    TV size M (basically the same as freeview) and a Tivo rental - Tivo really frustrating cos it's recently gone really slow
    Vivid 100 fibre - we're all 3 internet users esp 17 y.o. son, so downgrading wouldn't go down well.

There is no other option for fast BB here, only VM cabling in the area.
    So, what are my chances of getting some sort of deal ? Either a price reduction, or at least chuck us in the next level of TV for no extra money.

I've been holding on the phone to the CS line for 23 mins ...
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 24th Sep 16, 7:00 PM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    Ian011
    Here's a chance to save £7 per month.

If you are paying £15 per month for the Virgin Media package that has inclusive calls to mobile numbers and international numbers but you don't need inclusive calls to international numbers, note that the £8 per month inclusive calls package now includes anytime calls to mobile numbers.
    • chaotic_j
    • By chaotic_j 27th Sep 16, 11:05 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    chaotic_j
    As mentioned earlier I have signed up with BT for their infinity service and TV, they cancelled an engineer appointment for the phone line with 24 hours notice after I'd arranged for a family member to be in my property.

Service supposed to start by midnight on 23/09/16 and to date no service *at all*, raised fault 24/09/16 as hub flashing purple (means hub working - no Internet connection).

Spent an hour on hold and 30 minutes going through the Indian technical support telephone script of factory resetting (the brand new, unused) hub etc. to be told there is a fault on my phone line.

Told it will be fixed by 27/09/16, text message first thing to say fixed, call in evening to say fixed. Got home and tried it.. exactly the same. Called and got through quite quickly to UK support for faults, he tested my line and said it wasn't working at all.. but would have to transfer me to technical support again.

I said OK hope I don't have to go resetting this hub again etc. he said no don't worry they have all details down.. spent an hour and 15 minutes on hold to have to go through the exact same pallaver again.. told that the phone line and broadband were working fine.

Spoke to a manger then who told me there was a fault, no notes from person in UK on my account, saying that this will now be investigated on 30/09/16 and he will call me back 01/01/16.

Conclusion: Nobody working for BT in India or the UK knows what they are doing! They make Virgin Media look like the sole masters of the Internet!

Arrrrghhh! They also sent me my first bill on Monday! bet that bit of their service always works eh?
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 6th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    • 3,031 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    EdGasket
    Virgin Media changing prices in contract period
    In August 2015 I agreed a contract with Virgin Media for an 18-month period for broadband and phone line with a £10 a month discount for a price of £32.49 per month. The contract says:
    "Your monthly service charge (during promotional offer) £32.49"
    and
    "Your monthly service charge (after promotional offer) £42.49"

However thay have put the cost up by £3.49 in February 2016 and I have just received another letter about a further £3.49 increase to be applied from November 2016.

Can they do this when the contract has stated a fixed-price (well I was told I had signed up for 18 months so assumed it was fixed-price) during the promotional offer of £32.49?

How can they justify an increase of 21.42% in less than a year when inflation is 1% ??
    • zaax
    • By zaax 6th Oct 16, 8:55 PM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    zaax
    you should be given a months notice, in which to leave. There are a lot lower fibre, but not as fast.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,887Posts Today

6,153Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just been to @channel4's #bearhunt premier, a beautiful artist reworking BUT be warned, a surprisingly sad end, mini MSE in floods of tears

• Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• Follow Martin