Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BushBaby QC
    • By BushBaby QC 18th Aug 16, 1:28 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 2Thanks
    BushBaby QC
    Three network PAYG - free roaming? Really?
    • 18th Aug 16, 1:28 PM
    Three network PAYG - free roaming? Really? 18th Aug 16 at 1:28 PM
    To paraphrase their own marketing slogan "it sucks".

On the widely broadcast claim that the Three network didn't charge for roaming abroad (including Spain) I bought a PAYG SIM in June for a planned trip in August. Only instead of storing £20 cash credit on the account which would have lasted until activated as a package, they converted it to their All In One 20, which would have expired at the end of June.

I phoned and they said they realised the mistake and would rectify it. They didn't. So come August, I checked my balance which was nil and phoned again. They agreed another 'mistake' had been made and said they would activate the All In One 20 for the remainder of the month. I received all the required activation texts from them and so didn't look any further.

9th August, in Spain - no network access. - Checked account, no credit balance OR All in One 20. I'm on holiday. So rather than spend another 40 minutes of my holiday asking them to fix the problem yet again I thought I'd spend another £20 and claim it back on my return to the UK, believing Three would be reasonable. I activated that £20 top-up immediately and I could use my phone. All good.

As it turned out I didn't need my phone for what I thought I would which was mainly for data streaming. So hardly any of the service was used and I continued to use my Tesco/O2 service which was faultless, it just offered me less data transfer 1GB as opposed to 12GB from Three.

So what should have cost me £20 for my sim and roaming in Spain, actually cost me £40. I thought it's obvious. Anyone can see I'm out of pocket and Three have profited by another £20. But no, not Three.

As far as they are concerned they are prepared to credit the PAYG account (which I no longer want) with £20 for the credit I should have received on 1 August, but because I used the £20 top-up from 9 August (however minimally and which I wouldn't have had to buy had they honoured their promise on 1 August) I am liable.

A £20 SIM has cost me £40. No roaming charges, but what a nice profit for Three.

I've no idea who else might have been caught out like this but it's a warning for anyone else who might be tempted. I only realise too late that I could have paid Tesco a little more than my £7.50 month for a similar package and also avoid roaming charges. I did an online chat with Three 'customer services' to prove all of this if anyone cares to see a copy.
Page 3
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 24th Aug 16, 8:43 PM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Whatever, <snip>Oh, and take the mod's advice too.
    Originally posted by BushBaby QC
    Which 'mod' would this be?? None has posted on this thread.

I have no dog in the fight. I've recently dealt with Three on a similar issue.. But different from your experience, I checked that the credit was made, rather than assuming and then panicking at the last minute.
    You have no real knowledge of what has happened at all. You don't know if and when credits were made....or if a credit was made at all.
    So posting here as to your experience doesn't help your case as it is just a one sided account.
    You haven't even made clear as to what portal you utilised to purchased the SIM and credit.

You didn't post here for advice. You just posted because you were mad and hoped to put people off from using Three.
    But all you have succeeded in doing is to make sure people don't do the same silly things that you did.
    If a solution is agreed, check that the solution is applied and working before moving on.

I did just that with Three. My credit was applied, I checked that it was so and then I closed the complaint.
    It wouldn't be intelligent for me to not bother to check what they said would be done and to leave checking until I actually intended to utilise it, months later. Then to be under stress and panic.
    Hopefully you have learned from your mistakes.

I'm not saying that Three are perfect. But they have resolved my complaint to my satisfaction and I can't say fairer than that.
    • BushBaby QC
    • By BushBaby QC 19th Sep 16, 1:31 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BushBaby QC
    The ombudsman has just informed me Three will be crediting me with a refund (cheque £20). So the moral is: don't give up and don't listen to weaselly comments designed to make you feel it's all your fault.

Victory for the little man.
    Last edited by BushBaby QC; 19-09-2016 at 5:06 PM. Reason: made clear the type of refund
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 19th Sep 16, 7:14 PM
    • 3,499 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Probably because it is cheaper than going to formal adjudication.
    Victory for Captain Ahab.

The ombudsman has just informed me Three will be crediting me with a refund (cheque £20). So the moral is: don't give up and don't listen to weaselly comments designed to make you feel it's all your fault.

Victory for the little man.
    • BushBaby QC
    • By BushBaby QC 20th Sep 16, 12:29 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BushBaby QC
    I was prepared to spend £200 to get back my £20 because I believed I was in the right. If they were so sure of their position they should be prepared to back it up too. It's not as if they don't have the resources.

No, their procedures are tilted against the consumer (like many other online or remote service providers) because most of us don't create a fuss over such small amounts. So if the consumer takes the time and effort to push it they'll quickly see an end to it for the reasons you give. Else they'll pocket the money and pat themselves on the back that they've undeservedly pushed the profit column up some more.
    • FunTime
    • By FunTime 20th Sep 16, 9:16 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    FunTime
    I was prepared to spend £200 to get back my £20 because I believed I was in the right. If they were so sure of their position they should be prepared to back it up too. It's not as if they don't have the resources.

No, their procedures are tilted against the consumer (like many other online or remote service providers) because most of us don't create a fuss over such small amounts. So if the consumer takes the time and effort to push it they'll quickly see an end to it for the reasons you give. Else they'll pocket the money and pat themselves on the back that they've undeservedly pushed the profit column up some more.
    They gave me £25 worth of credit for a mistake they made. Not everyone has the same experience.
    Reading through the thread, you have been so bitter and unpleasant, that I'm sure no one here had any sympathy with your plight.

Reminds me of something someone told me when travelling south east Asia. They told me that you don't pay a girl to stay with you, you pay them to go away.
    Now I understand what they meant.
    • hansi
    • By hansi 21st Sep 16, 7:00 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    hansi
    Just been reading about their "Feel at Home" roaming package in the newsletter. If I buy a SIM is there an expiry date, or can you activate it and then use it with no fear of the credit disappearing? Can't find anything about this on their website.
    • FunTime
    • By FunTime 21st Sep 16, 8:54 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    FunTime
    Just been reading about their "Feel at Home" roaming package in the newsletter. If I buy a SIM is there an expiry date, or can you activate it and then use it with no fear of the credit disappearing? Can't find anything about this on their website.
    Originally posted by hansi
    How do you propose to "activate it and use it" without utilising your credit??

Do you mean..?

Top-ups
    Where a Top-up is bought in-store and a 16-digit code provided, the Top-up needs to be activated within 90 days of buying it. Once activated, Top-ups have no expiry date, unless there is no activity at all on an account for 180 days as Three reserves the right to terminate or suspend unused accounts.
    Where there are free allowances with a Top-up they are always used first. If you’ve bought an Add-on, this allowance is used next followed by your cash credit.

Starter Top-up Credit
    New customers who have purchased a handset or SIM only with a pre-loaded Starter Top-Up, your Top-Up, once activated, has no expiry date, unless there’s no activity at all on your account for 180 days, in which case Three reserves the right to terminate or suspend unused accounts. New customers who have purchased a handset or a SIM only with an All-in-One 10 Add-on or All-in-One 20 Add-on will need to use the Add-on within 30 days of activation (activation occurs at the first chargeable usage event).
    • BushBaby QC
    • By BushBaby QC 21st Sep 16, 2:17 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BushBaby QC
    They gave me £25 worth of credit for a mistake they made. Not everyone has the same experience.
    Reading through the thread, you have been so bitter and unpleasant, that I'm sure no one here had any sympathy with your plight.

Reminds me of something someone told me when travelling south east Asia. They told me that you don't pay a girl to stay with you, you pay them to go away.
    Now I understand what they meant.
    Originally posted by FunTime
    And you call me bitter.

This is a consumer forum, for - heck - consumers. We all have varying experiences, knowledge and abilities and just because one firm is good for you doesn't mean they are going to be good for everyone. I was in the right and I was prepared to pay to see justice for that. I was given an appalling service from an unforgiving, greedy company which profits from consumer mistakes and poor service delivery. And yet I was vilified on here by small-minded trolls such as yourself.

But, heck, I won. And yet it's remains all my fault. Really? We should all be very glad there aren't many like you.
    • FunTime
    • By FunTime 21st Sep 16, 2:38 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    FunTime
    And you call me bitter.

This is a consumer forum, for - heck - consumers. We all have varying experiences, knowledge and abilities and just because one firm is good for you doesn't mean they are going to be good for everyone. I was in the right and I was prepared to pay to see justice for that. I was given an appalling service from an unforgiving, greedy company which profits from consumer mistakes and poor service delivery. And yet I was vilified on here by small-minded trolls such as yourself.

But, heck, I won. And yet it's remains all my fault. Really? We should all be very glad there aren't many like you.
    Yes.You are.

They paid to get rid of you. Chances are we won't see you here again.

You didn't win anything. You just got some of your money back. You spent £40 and received £20.

Whereas they gave me the credit without me having to spend anything. Hardly a greedy company. They were also the first to give free Roaming.

So as far as you attempt to insult all around you, you have failed. No one here has any empathy for you because of your thoroughly unpleasant behaviour.
    So enjoy your partial refund as much as your personality will allow.

I and many others will continue to utilise Three whenever it suits.
    Your attempts to denigrate all around you have failed miserably.
    • BushBaby QC
    • By BushBaby QC 21st Sep 16, 3:44 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BushBaby QC
    Yes.You are.

They paid to get rid of you. Chances are we won't see you here again.

You didn't win anything. You just got some of your money back. You spent £40 and received £20.

Whereas they gave me the credit without me having to spend anything. Hardly a greedy company. They were also the first to give free Roaming.

So as far as you attempt to insult all around you, you have failed. No one here has any empathy for you because of your thoroughly unpleasant behaviour.
    So enjoy your partial refund as much as your personality will allow.

I and many others will continue to utilise Three whenever it suits.
    Your attempts to denigrate all around you have failed miserably.
    Originally posted by FunTime
    Wow, your ability to know what everyone is thinking is amazing, you should be on telly old son. I only wanted £20 back in my bank account because that is all I overspent by - I'm honest. I didn't want credit because that does not benefit me. And this thread has many people commenting no chance I'll get anything back (likely based on their experience of Three) AND YET I DID.

And I have only insulted those who insulted me - like you and Three of course. But please keep replying as it gives me the opportunity to put my case some more.

AND I will be back when I have something else of interest to consumers to report rather than hanging around kicking cans and insulting passers by like you.
    • BushBaby QC
    • By BushBaby QC 15th Oct 16, 6:57 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BushBaby QC
    Cheque arrived today. Persistence and righteousness wins.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,583Posts Today

7,113Users online

Martin's Twitter