Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 16th Aug 16, 9:19 AM
    • 178Posts
    • 823Thanks
    remote_control
    Facing up and cracking on
    • 16th Aug 16, 9:19 AM
    Facing up and cracking on 16th Aug 16 at 9:19 AM
    Hi

We are in debt and we need to face up to it as I do not want it to define the next few years of our life.

In a nut shell, we moved to a house that was slightly over budget and did a lot of DIY.

Debt as of July 2016 £20,485.45

We don't act like we're in debt, we just carry on as normal. I am hoping this diary will help to change this.

Feel a bit scared and tearful posting this!

Thanks in advance for your support!!
Page 3
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 11th Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    remote_control
    Thanks for the comments!! I really appreciate it. Yes we have achieved a lot I suppose, Debt is down £5k this year and we have done a couple of house projects without adding to the debt. It is that never ending conundrum of whether to work harder to pay off the debt quicker or live while you pay it off slowly. The latter is what we have been doing and largely I have been ok with that as we live within our means and can manage the minimum payments fine.

I would like a bit of focus in the run up to Christmas though. I'm trying a 'look after the pennies' approach. I have taken food in to work the past couple of days which I am really pleased with myself about. I have also stopped snacking on biscuits/chocolate/cake etc and this is also saving me money as I'm sure I spend about a fiver each week grabbing these things when I'm out and about.
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 11th Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    remote_control
    BBC Good Food for students sounds great thanks!
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 31st Oct 17, 10:01 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    remote_control
    Nov 1st 2017

Debt £18,393.54
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 11th Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    remote_control
    Hi everyone,

Should be going to bed really....

Debt ticking down very slowly, MBN/A are really annoying as can't seem to have a fixed payment to them, so we have it set as minimum (as it is the longest 0% card) and each month we pay a pound or two less.

Christmas shopping pretty much done present wise but I think it is the food bills that get us as we love a tasty Christmas treat :-).

OH has been very on board with the money saving for the past couple of weeks which has been great and what we spent in November was in the green (black?) by £700!! Amazing to think we have that much money spare if we work really hard. In reality this year it has been spent on new boiler and a few other house improvements. It sounds so romantic buying a house where everything needs doing but in reality it costs a fortune!

Looking forward to finishing work at the end of the week and then two weeks off. Obviously planning low spend, snuggly Christmas activities.

I'll be back with a proper total at some point, and hopefully it will be in the 17s. I wonder what it will be this time next year!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,214Posts Today

6,823Users online

Martin's Twitter