Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    • 874Posts
    • 1,996Thanks
    copperjar
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?
    • 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy? 15th Aug 16 at 2:29 PM
    It seems there are a lot of threads from people waiting to sell, get mortgage, an exchange date, new builds etc, but none from people looking to find their dream house, which is no less stressful!

We've been provisionally looking since March/April time and haven't really seen anything but thought we'd get our house on the market anyway and that would push us in the right direction. Got an offer on the house 2 days after it going on the market which we accepted, on the proviso that we'd be given some time to find somewhere. End of Sept was suggested as a reasonable timescale. But we are still no further to finding anywhere at all!

Starting to get pretty stressed and tetchy now! Don't really want to go into rented and it feels like the clock is ticking. Starting to get letters from the solicitor which is worrying me (he knows about us not having anywhere yet) and I'm feeling pressured even though no pressure is being applied!

My experience of estate agents isn't great either. They must be the only customer service industry in the country that won't work outside of office hours and I get most phone calls and effort put in from them trying to get me to speak to their financial advisors! I just want to get a house!! Argh

I know I'm probably in a very good position but it doesn't feel that way right now. Market is so slow, just want a flurry of new houses to come up in September!
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
Page 29
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 14th Jul 17, 8:09 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    I've actually put an ad on the local facebook page and got a fair bit of interest, unfortunately lots that weren't suitable for us but an old school friend contacted me about her father in laws house which is promising, He's asked her to pass his number to me, so I'm going to contact him today to see what his timescales are for moving and the all important question, what sale price he's hoping to achieve for his house!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Jul 17, 10:32 AM
    • 7,487 Posts
    • 36,053 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Hi all,

I'm going to join this thread (hopefully not for long! ) We've been idly looking for a couple of years while we decorated/revamped our own house ready to sell. Finally found somewhere a couple of weeks ago, offered, rejected, but then second offer accepted Lovely house, very exciting - but they wouldn't take it off the market as our own house wasn't even on....

Our house went on the market, 16 viewings this week (!), several offers (and some messing about already).

Sadly, we spent quite a lot of the weekend out near our 'new' house and decided that we just can't live there We've been several times before, so we know what the crowds/traffic etc are like, but one night there was music from the pub (which is about half a mile away) rattling around, and another night there was a wedding with really loud live music outside the local 'quiet residential hotel'.

So I think sadly we'll have to pull out NOT what I wanted - was just getting ready to get started once we accept our own buyer on Monday. But at least they never took theirs off the market for us, so no harm done (even though I expect they'll be cursing us for raising their hopes )

Feel rotten about it, but it's very expensive and a long way from work and a big decision to make

So back to the drawing board... albeit with an offer on our own house so the clock is ticking...
    Saved for house move: £13,152.95
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 16th Jul 17, 7:40 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    Hi Cheery
    Aww it's a shame the house hasn't worked out, but better you decide now than after everyone has spent hundreds of pounds. As people keep telling me, the right one will come along eventually!

We saw three today, two no's for various reasons, just not right for us and the one I expected to like and hubby loved from RM listing, met all our expectations really. It's a really good looking house from the outside, lovely outlook to the front, great space inside, good kitchen and new bathroom and en suite, hubby still loved it, almost perfect you might say but you know there's a but coming....

BUT my heart still wants to be in our original search area
    A house with an identical layout to this has unbelievably just come up there today but without the rear extension that today's had and also semi detached rather than detached... can't decide if that's a sticking point for me or not... I think it is We've also already viewed another on the same estate and thought the houses were all a bit crammed in, although on street view this one doesn't look too bad as it's a corner plot. I could be swayed by the fact that its asking price is more than £40k less than the one we viewed today !!!

Feel like my head is about to explode with all these things to think about, as well feeling like time is running out, we've also got the next two weekends away, which means viewings are impossible

Update 18/07/2017
    After lots of discussion and weighing up pros and cons, we've gone for the house we saw on Sunday, I am super excited now that my head is in the right place. It's actually a much nicer area than our original search area and the house is so gorgeous. Fingers crossed for plain sailing!!
    Last edited by Pumpkim; 18-07-2017 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Update
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 24th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 9,167 Posts
    • 11,525 Thanks
    hazyjo
    We've come full circle and offered on the one we initially loved last year. I sent her a letter and she said she'd taken it off the market as she was going to be away for a few months. Said she was selling again from April-ish, but I didn't have a buyer for ages.

We were going to buy another, but they've not accepted our (very reasonable!) offer and the EAs have been ignoring us, so I'm looking forward to telling them where to shove it when they eventually ring me to say they'll accept (which I'm sure they will).

Not as big as we wanted, but it's literally in the middle of Leigh-on-Sea, about 0.3 mile from Old Leigh.

Very excited, relieved and happy so know it's the right house.

I also feel my dad (no longer alive) has given his approval Weird one - my mum has always used a bloke for her tiling, decorating, etc (weirdly again, with the same name as my dad - Terry). My dad liked him, he's not great on timekeeping(!), but is very trustworthy and does a good job. He's also been of great support to my mum since as he's had his own probs and my mum's a very good listener so they've become friends over the years. He actually popped in for a cuppa with my mum last week and said he was working in Chingford where I live (10 miles/30 mins away from where he lives so hardly on the doorstep). Mum asked if he'd give a quote to paint a house in Leigh-on-Sea as we may get it painted when we move in. He said okay. In the meantime, OH walked round the corner to the shops and noticed a house a few doors along from ours being painted and the bloke had done a good job. Got chatting, asked if he'd consider a job near Southend, and took a card (you know where it's going). I'd not told him about the conversation with my mum, and Terry didn't twig it might be the same house.

Mum told me a couple of days later about her conversation with Terry and I said, that's good, we've got two to quote now as 'im indoors has got the number of a bloke painting a house round the corner.

Obviously, turns out it's the same bloke.

Yes, I prob made that a much longer story than I needed to

I think my dad sent him What's the chances of him working in my street!!!! Bizarre. And for my OH to get a card and our two quotes are with the same bloody bloke! I can hear him now going 'Well, if you have to move out all that way then I'd be happier if you used Terry cos we know he won't rip you off and will do a good job...'. My dad fussed with things like that
    Good luck all
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

864Posts Today

7,271Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin