Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    • 857Posts
    • 2,002Thanks
    copperjar
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?
    • 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy? 15th Aug 16 at 2:29 PM
    It seems there are a lot of threads from people waiting to sell, get mortgage, an exchange date, new builds etc, but none from people looking to find their dream house, which is no less stressful!

We've been provisionally looking since March/April time and haven't really seen anything but thought we'd get our house on the market anyway and that would push us in the right direction. Got an offer on the house 2 days after it going on the market which we accepted, on the proviso that we'd be given some time to find somewhere. End of Sept was suggested as a reasonable timescale. But we are still no further to finding anywhere at all!

Starting to get pretty stressed and tetchy now! Don't really want to go into rented and it feels like the clock is ticking. Starting to get letters from the solicitor which is worrying me (he knows about us not having anywhere yet) and I'm feeling pressured even though no pressure is being applied!

My experience of estate agents isn't great either. They must be the only customer service industry in the country that won't work outside of office hours and I get most phone calls and effort put in from them trying to get me to speak to their financial advisors! I just want to get a house!! Argh

I know I'm probably in a very good position but it doesn't feel that way right now. Market is so slow, just want a flurry of new houses to come up in September!
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
Page 27
    • golly99
    • By golly99 25th May 17, 9:37 AM
    • 442 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    golly99
    Still nothing coming up for us in the North West, away for a few days next week, so just watch them all come up as we go away!!!
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 26th May 17, 7:45 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    Going to see three properties tomorrow, these are the first we've viewed for this purchase. I was hoping that some others would come up over the last couple of weeks since we planned the trip (we're relocating) but nothing at all new has come to the market, so fingers crossed that one of the three is perfect for us!
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 29th May 17, 10:19 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    Going to see three properties tomorrow, these are the first we've viewed for this purchase. I was hoping that some others would come up over the last couple of weeks since we planned the trip (we're relocating) but nothing at all new has come to the market, so fingers crossed that one of the three is perfect for us!
    Originally posted by Pumpkim
    How did the viewings go?

It is all very quiet on this thread we could all do with a positive viewing!
    I have been very lucky this week, won on a few scratchcards...hoping something will come up on RM this week too! Positive thinking and all that...
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 30th May 17, 7:21 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    How did the viewings go?
    Originally posted by pollyannaL
    Very well! We loved one of the houses. The other two were discounted very quickly, one felt hemmed in and just wasn't right, the other was at the top of our budget and needed too much updating (there were no interior pics on rightmove so we suspected as much), it was way overpriced in our opinion, so will be interesting to see what it eventually sells for.

The one we love, is ready to move into, with just a few cosmetic things I'd want to change over time, perfect size, lovely street, only draw back is that I have a feeling the vendor could change her mind abut selling! She loves her home, been there 20 years but wants to downsize to give up work and spend time with her grandchildren. She did the viewing and we had a good chat. She hasn't found anything she likes yet and not much coming to the market (tell us about it!) and she'll only move when she finds the perfect house. Problem is, if you love your current home not much else is going to measure up is it?
    She was also pretty clear that she was in no rush to move and would be holding out for the asking price. We're more than happy to pay the asking price, as it's worth it to us, and similar properties (though few and far between) are selling for about the same but I just have niggle that that when push comes to shove the vendor will stay put and then I'll be gutted, because in my head I'm moving in!
    • LKRDN_Morgan
    • By LKRDN_Morgan 15th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    LKRDN_Morgan
    I'm so frustrated right now. Everything seems to have ground to a halt and no ones selling!
    What is going on!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 15th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 9,321 Posts
    • 11,762 Thanks
    hazyjo
    I'm so frustrated right now. Everything seems to have ground to a halt and no ones selling!
    What is going on!
    Originally posted by LKRDN_Morgan
    Know the feeling I keep checking what else is up for sale and can't understand why we've not got 20 people queuing outside to buy lol!

We have had some very keen viewers, but nobody actually seems to bite. One last night was talking about offering but I've not heard zip today. Been expecting the phone to ring, but nada. I was so positive this morning but now feel like it ain't happening.

Very disappointing...

Good luck all!
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 15th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    kilby_007
    The house we offered on last month (the one we were gazumped on) has just had the sale fall through. Apparently the buyer's in-laws bought a bungalow across the road and she doesn't want to live that close, but I find this a bit far fetched so who knows what the real reason is. We got it at the asking price which is below what we'd previously offered so happy at that. It's 25K cheaper than a similar house down the road is going up for sale for but it does need about the same spending on it, but at least we can make it exactly how we want it to be. Solicitors have been instructed and we're just mustering up the stomach to apply for the mortgage now!
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 15th Jun 17, 9:03 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    Great news Kilby. Does seem like an odd reason to pull out though...
    The house we want is still for sale, checking daily! Nothing new has come up since, just need to get a buyer for ours!!
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 15th Jun 17, 9:20 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    Wow Kilby! Congrats! Seems it's going pretty fast now for you. It was meant to be! Keep us updated.

A house came on market Saturday, I had a viewing booked in for Tuesday (as i was overseas and only saw it advertised Saturday evening). Agent rang me monday morning saying It sold as a 'private sale'. What does that even mean? that someone knocked on vendors door rather than going via agents, as soon as it was advertised on Saturday? I have missed out on 3 houses, all sold even though i was due to be the first to see it. Anyone have any idea what this is about? Surely it can't just be happening to me!?

I am starting to think I should post a letter through vendors door as soon as its advertised, saying how keen i am in viewing their property and leave my contact details - even though I will also book viewing via agent? this seems so desperate!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 16th Jun 17, 7:30 AM
    • 4,437 Posts
    • 18,550 Thanks
    Slinky
    A private sale is most likely to be a friend of a friend of the vendor rather than anything else. The agent won't be getting commission on a private sale.

Shoving a note through the door once the board is up isn't likely to get you any further than going via the agent. And yes at that stage it does look desperate and makes negotiation on price difficult.

We leafleted the street we wanted to buy in by posting letters (we live 100 miles away). Unfortunately for us it didn't work as the property we are buying turned out to be probate where the owner had died last year. I know the letter was received at the house though as it was lying unopened on the dresser when I viewed with the agent. It could have worked if we had sent it a few weeks earlier and the executors had seen it.

A friend of mine sold to somebody who leafleted their house. It's worth having a go.

With regards property selling before you even get to see it, are you registered with the agents? Do you keep contacting them? We were called by an agent about viewing a house, it didn't hit RM for another week, so if you're not showing yourself to be keen and in a position to proceed to the agents, there will be others on their books who are and are finding out before you.
    Last edited by Slinky; 16-06-2017 at 7:33 AM.
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 16th Jun 17, 11:05 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    Hi Slinky,

Yes, I am registered with 3 local EAs. I am down as a 'hot buyer' - they tell me every time i ring! But they never ring me about new properties, They just send a standard email out with new properties on but this obviously goes to everyone registered with them!

Yeah, maybe i should do street leafleting. I just worry that people may contact me and worry i'd hate their house - it's like I would be expected to buy it! Silly I know.

Glad your purchase is going well. Very jealous

• Tiners
    • By Tiners 17th Jun 17, 6:14 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Tiners
    I think I'd be rather concerned if local EA's had me down as a ''hot buyer''.... EA speak will interpret that as a desperate, gullible mug who will pay over the odds.
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 18th Jun 17, 11:07 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    I think I'd be rather concerned if local EA's had me down as a ''hot buyer''.... EA speak will interpret that as a desperate, gullible mug who will pay over the odds.
    Originally posted by Tiners

The EA can have me down on their books as whatever they want, as long as they are contacting me about properties! Even if 'hot buyer' title worries you, (i am a FTB and very flexible with timeframes), the EA is not making any contact with me anyhow so it doesn't make sense. Even if they think I am the 'desperate mug' - they STILL aren't contacting me The EA can think i am gullible, but i've done my budget inside-out and only I know what I can afford, and what property I am willing to pay a bit more for....so that doesn't concern me in the slightest. I not going to panic buy a property on the basis of what an EA tells me. My only worry is how can I get a foot in the door to viewings before properties sell!

Hopefully this week will be a better week on RM (fingers crossed!)
    Last edited by pollyannaL; 18-06-2017 at 11:09 PM.
    • LKRDN_Morgan
    • By LKRDN_Morgan 19th Jun 17, 4:47 AM
    • 265 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    LKRDN_Morgan
    strange thing happened this weekend. Newly listed house came up. Viewed it offered on it. EA then rang to say house we offered on 2 weeks ago now wants to accept our offer after previously rejecting it. Oh and new house accepted our offer. Said they'd give me an hour to think about and they'll ring back. In hindsight I wish I'd said I need to sleep on it. New house is beautiful but the location doesn't do it for me. Old house is slightly smaller with 1 less bedroom, smaller garden and smaller drive but the location is perfect.

Ended up going with the new house despite my gut telling me old house. After an hour I felt sick. Like I'd made a huge mistake. Spent all night worrying

Rang EA next morning. Had a mini meltdown. Said I'd changed my mind and really wanted old house. New house was a mistake etc etc

Anyway upshot is old house accepted our original offer. I don't feel sick anymore!

Moral of the story? Trust your gut instinct
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jun 17, 7:55 AM
    • 4,437 Posts
    • 18,550 Thanks
    Slinky
    strange thing happened this weekend. Newly listed house came up. Viewed it offered on it. EA then rang to say house we offered on 2 weeks ago now wants to accept our offer after previously rejecting it. Oh and new house accepted our offer. Said they'd give me an hour to think about and they'll ring back. In hindsight I wish I'd said I need to sleep on it. New house is beautiful but the location doesn't do it for me. Old house is slightly smaller with 1 less bedroom, smaller garden and smaller drive but the location is perfect.

Ended up going with the new house despite my gut telling me old house. After an hour I felt sick. Like I'd made a huge mistake. Spent all night worrying

Rang EA next morning. Had a mini meltdown. Said I'd changed my mind and really wanted old house. New house was a mistake etc etc

Anyway upshot is old house accepted our original offer. I don't feel sick anymore!

Moral of the story? Trust your gut instinct
    Originally posted by LKRDN_Morgan
    We had a previous house come back to us and accept our offer, got home another 4 doors along the street had come up. Dropped everything for a viewing the following day. Offer accepted a few days later but OH hadn't seen it, so for several days we had offers accepted on both (different agents fortunately). Went with the second one in the end.

You're right about gut feeling. We had an offer accepted last year and almost immediately, I got a cough that I get when I'm stressed. I ignored it but it went on for weeks. In the end, the vendor messed us about trying to retain ownership of a path and only giving us right of way over it. We pulled out of the purchase, the cough went away. That house wasn't right for us, but I was trying to ignore my gut/cough.
    • katebl
    • By katebl 19th Jun 17, 7:14 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    katebl
    House I've been keeping an eye on for the last 2 months swapped front view for garden view as RM main picture last week - this week has dropped the princely amount of 1.54%. Wonder if it will sell now...?! (We would need a 9% reduction from initial asking to afford it). Apart from that really low volume on RM, hardly worth checking!
    • jessy-eve
    • By jessy-eve 20th Jun 17, 11:53 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    jessy-eve
    Hey all, have not posted since I shared with you all we had found a house and had an offer accepted. Well 12 (long and stressful) weeks later and we have exchanged contacts keys on Monday!! Woo. Finally. Keep up the searching all. We got told we had to compromise and that we were being to fussy but ended up waiting for the right one and it (eventually!) happened! Good luck x
    personal savings = £15700 joint house deposit savings = £34079.63
    #21 - Save 12K in 2017 £2156.95/£3500 61.6%
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 21st Jun 17, 4:13 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Tiners
    I'm not actively looking to buy right now but still a bit of a RM & Zoopla addict, I've got numerous search areas that probably make up about 25% of the entire UK! Including most of the highlands and west coast of Scotland, most of North Wales and much of NW England... number of RM and Zoopla alerts I've had so far this week?... ZERO!!

Stock levels and new instructions, especially at the lower end of the market, appear to be none existent, in fact Zoopla appear to be so desperate to advertise something (ANYTHING!) that they're even sending me emails trying to flog glorified garden sheds.....

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/featured-homes/6-sensational-summer-houses/?utm_source=content&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign= zoopla-20170621&utm_content=mainbody&utm_term=img#pBPb8tJ bDrdMI8i9.97
    • alchemist.1
    • By alchemist.1 21st Jun 17, 6:32 PM
    • 848 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    alchemist.1
    The EA can have me down on their books as whatever they want, as long as they are contacting me about properties! Even if 'hot buyer' title worries you, (i am a FTB and very flexible with timeframes), the EA is not making any contact with me anyhow so it doesn't make sense. Even if they think I am the 'desperate mug' - they STILL aren't contacting me The EA can think i am gullible, but i've done my budget inside-out and only I know what I can afford, and what property I am willing to pay a bit more for....so that doesn't concern me in the slightest. I not going to panic buy a property on the basis of what an EA tells me. My only worry is how can I get a foot in the door to viewings before properties sell!

Hopefully this week will be a better week on RM (fingers crossed!)
    Originally posted by pollyannaL
    In the type of market you are describing they dont/wont need to contact you. They will be getting calls within minutes/hours of the property being put on sale on RM.

The only time you will get chased up is when they have a property that hasnt had any viewing booked in (and there will be reason for that)
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 21st Jun 17, 11:00 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    In the type of market you are describing they dont/wont need to contact you. They will be getting calls within minutes/hours of the property being put on sale on RM.

The only time you will get chased up is when they have a property that hasnt had any viewing booked in (and there will be reason for that)
    Originally posted by alchemist.1
    yes, this is true. One EA is ringing me about properties which aren't shifting. I get so excited thinking they will be ringing about a pre-rightmove house...but no!

RM is extremely quiet at the mo...wonder when things will pick up? All the houses are being reduced quite frequently now. Rang another EA on Monday who said they have a shortage of houses and nothing in my preferred location coming up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,284Posts Today

7,781Users online

Martin's Twitter