Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    • 863Posts
    • 1,952Thanks
    copperjar
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?
    • 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy? 15th Aug 16 at 2:29 PM
    It seems there are a lot of threads from people waiting to sell, get mortgage, an exchange date, new builds etc, but none from people looking to find their dream house, which is no less stressful!

We've been provisionally looking since March/April time and haven't really seen anything but thought we'd get our house on the market anyway and that would push us in the right direction. Got an offer on the house 2 days after it going on the market which we accepted, on the proviso that we'd be given some time to find somewhere. End of Sept was suggested as a reasonable timescale. But we are still no further to finding anywhere at all!

Starting to get pretty stressed and tetchy now! Don't really want to go into rented and it feels like the clock is ticking. Starting to get letters from the solicitor which is worrying me (he knows about us not having anywhere yet) and I'm feeling pressured even though no pressure is being applied!

My experience of estate agents isn't great either. They must be the only customer service industry in the country that won't work outside of office hours and I get most phone calls and effort put in from them trying to get me to speak to their financial advisors! I just want to get a house!! Argh

I know I'm probably in a very good position but it doesn't feel that way right now. Market is so slow, just want a flurry of new houses to come up in September!
    Total debt 1.11.10 23,446
    Save 6k in 2015 #129 6121.66/6000
    Save 6k in 2016 #39 6000/6000
Page 26
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 10th May 17, 3:04 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    kilby_007
    We found a house (a do-er upper) yesterday on the market at 315K that we wanted to buy. Offered 95% of the asking price as a lot of work is required. The estate agent then came back to me an hour later saying the asking price had been achieved. We matched the offer and now she's saying it's going to "best offers" by Wednesday, so I said they can consider that my best offer. What a load of messing about! The house isn't worth more than 315K. They sell for 325-340K when renovated and this one needs about 20-25K spending on it.
    • juniordoc
    • By juniordoc 10th May 17, 4:05 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    juniordoc
    Good move. Asking for best and final is just greedy. Offer what you think it's worth and no more!
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 10th May 17, 7:17 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    meh...nothing on the market in my area for a good week. It's like a ghost town out there.
    I am forcing myself to reconsider the properties i said no to after viewing. I wish i could be more positive about it all, but never thought it would be this hard as a FTB!

Rant Over
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 10th May 17, 7:23 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    kilby_007
    meh...nothing on the market in my area for a good week. It's like a ghost town out there.
    I am forcing myself to reconsider the properties i said no to after viewing. I wish i could be more positive about it all, but never thought it would be this hard as a FTB!

Rant Over
    Originally posted by pollyannaL
    The last 18 months has been hard for us too! We started looking in Nov 2015, and here we are - still - waiting for "the right house". Most houses are sitting on the market for ages, but any house we like seems to be sold at or above asking price before we could even think about it.

All I can say is keep up the hope. We could do with a big event to bring some activity to the market, because there's very little supply at the minute!
    • golly99
    • By golly99 11th May 17, 10:14 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    golly99
    Same in the North West, not much new coming on and the odd thing which comes on is seriously overpriced. Have sold ours so it's only going to be a matter of time before our buyers get restless. Missed out on a perfect one as they didn't want a chain..even over the asking price wouldn't do it!
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 12th May 17, 9:13 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    argh...things are (fingers crossed) hotting up my end. One of the properties which sold in 4 hrs last month, changed from SSTC to no longer on market on Rightmove. I post a letter through vendors door and also rang EA to say LET ME VIEW HOUSE!!
    The vendor rang me back a few hours later- sounded so lovely!! I feel we are a perfect vendor - buyer match, couldn't tell her that though without sounding stalker-ish. The house is so perfect for me (know i have only seen pics!).
    I have to wait until next week for EA to contact me.....argh.......

will keep you updated!
    Last edited by pollyannaL; 13-05-2017 at 2:10 PM.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 13th May 17, 7:47 AM
    • 702 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    kilby_007
    argh...things are (fingers crossed) hotting up my end. One of the properties which sold in 4 hrs last month, changed from SSTC to no longer on market on Rightmove. I posted a letter through vendors door and also rang EA to say LET ME VIEW HOUSE!!
    The vendor rang me back a few hours later- sounded so lovely!! I feel we are a perfect vendor - buyer match, couldn't tell her that though without sounding stalker-ish. The house is so perfect for me (know i have only seen pics!).
    I have to wait until next week for EA to contact me.....argh.......

will keep you updated!

Do you know why the sale fell through?
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 13th May 17, 8:54 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    Do you know why the sale fell through?
    Originally posted by kilby_007
    Morning Kilby,

The buyer wanted to proceed with sale ASAP but the vendor wanted to go slow due to her chain.
    I can go slow/ fast - the only thing would be the expiry date on any mortgage offer i guess. Think on average they last 3/4 months with a 2 week extension.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 17th May 17, 5:10 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    kilby_007
    I officially give up! We saw a house for 315K which needed gutting - rewire, new windows, kitchen, bathroom, fireplaces, flooring etc (the kitchen was original 1960's orange formica!) but otherwise structurally sound. It would sell for about 340K when done up, which would cost about 30K if doing the work yourself. We offered 295K, but the Estate Agent said an offer of 300K would be accepted as she wanted a quick sale. Agreed to go ahead at that, then later that day the EA phoned back to say there was an asking price offer and we would have to put forward a best & final by today. We mulled it over all week, offered 6K above asking but it went to another buyer. 18 months into our search, I'm giving up for a while.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 17th May 17, 5:11 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    kilby_007
    Morning Kilby,

The buyer wanted to proceed with sale ASAP but the vendor wanted to go slow due to her chain.
    I can go slow/ fast - the only thing would be the expiry date on any mortgage offer i guess. Think on average they last 3/4 months with a 2 week extension.
    Any news yet?
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 17th May 17, 8:59 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    I officially give up! We saw a house for 315K which needed gutting - rewire, new windows, kitchen, bathroom, fireplaces, flooring etc (the kitchen was original 1960's orange formica!) but otherwise structurally sound. It would sell for about 340K when done up, which would cost about 30K if doing the work yourself. We offered 295K, but the Estate Agent said an offer of 300K would be accepted as she wanted a quick sale. Agreed to go ahead at that, then later that day the EA phoned back to say there was an asking price offer and we would have to put forward a best & final by today. We mulled it over all week, offered 6K above asking but it went to another buyer. 18 months into our search, I'm giving up for a while.
    What is going on! So annoying. You made a really good offer too. Maybe the other offer will fall through and EA will be knocking on your door tomorrow!

I rang the EA Monday and they said they will ring me when the vendor gets in touch with them confirming the house is back on market...still waiting. Will ring again tomorrow and ask if its likely to be put back on over the next few weeks. Got a viewing for a different house Saturday, but holding back for this other one!!!!
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 17th May 17, 10:29 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    kilby_007
    What is going on! So annoying. You made a really good offer too. Maybe the other offer will fall through and EA will be knocking on your door tomorrow!
    Fingers crossed! I wouldn't be surprised if the valuation comes back lower than they've offered. There's a larger property on a larger plot around the corner that doesn't need any work and it's up for 375K (about 25K over our budget) and that's been for sale for 5 months. I'm just waiting and hoping it'll be reduced. The Estate Agent did say she's got a probate sale coming up on the same road in a few weeks so there's a few possibilities in the not so distant future.

I rang the EA Monday and they said they will ring me when the vendor gets in touch with them confirming the house is back on market...still waiting. Will ring again tomorrow and ask if its likely to be put back on over the next few weeks. Got a viewing for a different house Saturday, but holding back for this other one!!!!
    Fingers crossed it works out. You never know, you might like the Saturday one better! If the seller of the other one is serious about selling you'd think they'd have bitten your hand off!
    • houndour
    • By houndour 20th May 17, 8:51 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    houndour
    My house is sold and we've got our DiP so we're good to make serious offers now. We lost out on a fab house last week. Competing against FTB.

Had a bit of an argument with the OH last night about what we actually want. He's seen a property he likes, but it's on a busy road, and I can't let that go. I hoped if it was _the_ house I might compromise on road noise/parking issues.

We've got 7 viewings booked over the weekend. Some different houses that on paper aren't quite right as I need to show some willing to compromise or I think we'll never find anything But so far the ones that appear perfect on paper have been huge disappointments. It's just so time consuming all this hunting.

How's everyone else getting on?

Kilby - sorry you seem to be having a hard time with the house hunting. Are you a FTB?

The only light at the end of the tunnel I can offer, is when we bought last time, our first house fell through. Then we got outbid on a doer upper. Then we secured a doer upper at 15k less than the second house and much bigger (extra bedroom) than the first house and all in the same estate. So it does seem to all work out in the end.
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 20th May 17, 9:13 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    We've accepted an offer on our house now, so starting to seriously look for something to buy. We're relocating so difficult to coordinate everything and not much is coming up where we're looking after what seems to have been loads of activity over the last year when we weren't ready!!
    Got three viewings booked in for next weekend, all of them have compromises, I just need to get a feel for what I'm actually willing to compromise on when I see them for real. One of them only has 1 picture on RM, so I'm very curious to see what they're hiding! Love the street and the layout though.
    Also hoping something new comes up this week so we can squeeze another in while we're there
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 23rd May 17, 7:45 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    Anyone having any luck? Hope so!

That lovely house i hoped would come back on the market last week....i am still waiting! The EA said the vendor has to find a property before they put it back on market. They still reassured me I will be the first one to be contacted, so I appreciate that (if they are telling the truth!)

I viewed a property Sat - the house had 13 viewings that day and i just felt so rushed. I admired the garden from inside, and planned to go out in garden at end of viewing as was raining, totally forgot to view it!!! as the next viewer arrived and just threw me. The EA said 'this house will sell today...no doubt about it'. That line doesn't do anything for me at all.. I would want a 2nd viewing at least. So in my head it was already sold as I was looking around.

The EA rang me Monday asking if I was putting in an offer - I said i looked at the house for 10mins and forgot to view the garden, so no! unless vendor is happy for me to have a second viewing this week. EA said she would get back in touch with me - she hasn't! There was already offers on the table anyway so not expecting any further news about that one...

On goes the search....I am not looking at RM constantly now, so that's one good thing. Got a bit obsessed with it for a while. My deadline is July now to find a house. (Keep moving it back!)
    Last edited by pollyannaL; 23-05-2017 at 7:47 PM.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 24th May 17, 12:21 AM
    • 702 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    kilby_007
    Anyone having any luck? Hope so!

That lovely house i hoped would come back on the market last week....i am still waiting! The EA said the vendor has to find a property before they put it back on market. They still reassured me I will be the first one to be contacted, so I appreciate that (if they are telling the truth!)
    We're in a similar position to you. The estate agent of the last place we tried to buy (the one that went to closed bids) told us they were going to value another similar property up the road but they wouldn't give us the address, so I did my own research and went and spoke to a few local residents. It turns out the lady has died at the property so it's a bit of a sensitive issue. It has a bigger plot than the last one and looks to be (from what I've seen through the window) in a better state of repair, but otherwise it's identical in layout etc. We've posted a note through the door with our number on and really hoping they give us a call!

The EA said 'this house will sell today...no doubt about it'. That line doesn't do anything for me at all..
    I know exactly what you mean - I hate it when they start hyping it up and trying to instil panic. It turns me right off.

On goes the search....I am not looking at RM constantly now, so that's one good thing. Got a bit obsessed with it for a while. My deadline is July now to find a house. (Keep moving it back!)
    Ours was July too. July 2016!
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 24th May 17, 6:09 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    We're in a similar position to you. The estate agent of the last place we tried to buy (the one that went to closed bids) told us they were going to value another similar property up the road but they wouldn't give us the address, so I did my own research and went and spoke to a few local residents. It turns out the lady has died at the property so it's a bit of a sensitive issue. It has a bigger plot than the last one and looks to be (from what I've seen through the window) in a better state of repair, but otherwise it's identical in layout etc. We've posted a note through the door with our number on and really hoping they give us a call!

I know exactly what you mean - I hate it when they start hyping it up and trying to instil panic. It turns me right off.

Ours was July too. July 2016!
    Ooh this is very exciting! About time a property came up that you like! Woohoo!
    You've done all you can, so fingers crossed. Either way you will have a chance to buy it surely as they can either get back to you, or put it out to market and can have a chance then. The waiting game is the worst bit...I was so happy when the vendor rang me I forgot to ask all the questions I should have. Make sure you are prepared if you get the call!!

The other house I saw Saturday sold today, the EA prob sensed my disinterest!

Let us know how it all goes!
    • houndour
    • By houndour 24th May 17, 7:50 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    houndour
    We had our offer accepted on a house

Have to say the EA did a good job. We were shown 4 houses by the same agent at the weekend and we loved all of them. We've gone for one with more space, cheaper end of our budget but needs a bit of work. Hopefully it's cosmetic. Maybe some electrics etc and a new kitchen, but we'll have the money for it at the price we got.

Fingers crossed for a smooth ride.

Hope things get better for you guys.
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 24th May 17, 10:59 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    We had our offer accepted on a house

Have to say the EA did a good job. We were shown 4 houses by the same agent at the weekend and we loved all of them. We've gone for one with more space, cheaper end of our budget but needs a bit of work. Hopefully it's cosmetic. Maybe some electrics etc and a new kitchen, but we'll have the money for it at the price we got.

Fingers crossed for a smooth ride.

Hope things get better for you guys.
    Originally posted by houndour
    Congratulations! You were lucky seeing 4 properties you loved! Sounds a perfect house, and reassuring that you have the funds to renovate. Hope it all goes smoothly.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 25th May 17, 12:19 AM
    • 702 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    kilby_007
    Brilliant news for you. It's fun getting stuck into some renovation, as long as it's not structural repairs!

No news from me - no phone call :-( With a bit of googling I found the contact details of the people who are likely to be the executors of the estate, but given that I've already posted my phone number through the door it might seem a bit pushy now if I phoned them up, not to mention a bit stalky! I'll try and be patient, honest!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,508Posts Today

6,755Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin