Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    • 854Posts
    • 1,900Thanks
    copperjar
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?
    • 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy? 15th Aug 16 at 2:29 PM
    It seems there are a lot of threads from people waiting to sell, get mortgage, an exchange date, new builds etc, but none from people looking to find their dream house, which is no less stressful!

We've been provisionally looking since March/April time and haven't really seen anything but thought we'd get our house on the market anyway and that would push us in the right direction. Got an offer on the house 2 days after it going on the market which we accepted, on the proviso that we'd be given some time to find somewhere. End of Sept was suggested as a reasonable timescale. But we are still no further to finding anywhere at all!

Starting to get pretty stressed and tetchy now! Don't really want to go into rented and it feels like the clock is ticking. Starting to get letters from the solicitor which is worrying me (he knows about us not having anywhere yet) and I'm feeling pressured even though no pressure is being applied!

My experience of estate agents isn't great either. They must be the only customer service industry in the country that won't work outside of office hours and I get most phone calls and effort put in from them trying to get me to speak to their financial advisors! I just want to get a house!! Argh

I know I'm probably in a very good position but it doesn't feel that way right now. Market is so slow, just want a flurry of new houses to come up in September!
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
Page 23
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 19th Apr 17, 8:58 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    ok, so i viewed 2 houses today. Pleasantly surprised by the one and have a second viewing tomorrow. Great location, huge south facing garden. Is really peaceful. However, the catch is that it needs work - cosmetic rather than structurally (i hope). It's top of budget and been on since beginning of year. eeeeeekkk....
    • shell88
    • By shell88 19th Apr 17, 9:04 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    shell88
    Viewed a house the other day after waiting months for something decent to come on right move, we made an offer and were told half an hour later that it had been rejected as someone had offered nearly 10k over the asking price!!! It's going to be a long and painful journey to get our first house!
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 19th Apr 17, 9:06 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    amateur house
    Sounds promising

I hope you like it as much after the second viewing.
    • Lovem
    • By Lovem 19th Apr 17, 9:23 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Lovem
    Hi guys,
    I hope this is ok to ask here! My property is on the market we have done everything from top to bottom and inside out. I am just getting worried as next doors garden is very overgrown front and back. Would this turn any of you off? They have the house for 10 years and 0 interest in it so it does not look the best
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 19th Apr 17, 9:43 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    Hi guys,
    I hope this is ok to ask here! My property is on the market we have done everything from top to bottom and inside out. I am just getting worried as next doors garden is very overgrown front and back. Would this turn any of you off? They have the house for 10 years and 0 interest in it so it does not look the best
    Originally posted by Lovem
    I recently viewed a house and the next door was very neglected, the fence, building, roof....put me off and i told the agent. The vendor then put a new fence up to block off the view to neighbours yard...bless. I am sure they had numerous comments which led them to go to that much effort. That house sold after 3 months.

If it is just a bit of overgrown grass I think that's ok. If it was neglect to the building, then i would worry if there was damp etc effecting your house. I am a worrier tho!

Goodluck
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 19th Apr 17, 9:44 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    Viewed a house the other day after waiting months for something decent to come on right move, we made an offer and were told half an hour later that it had been rejected as someone had offered nearly 10k over the asking price!!! It's going to be a long and painful journey to get our first house!
    Originally posted by shell88
    Madness..you wonder what some people are thinking. Money to burn!
    • Lovem
    • By Lovem 19th Apr 17, 9:46 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Lovem
    I recently viewed a house and the next door was very neglected, the fence, building, roof....put me off and i told the agent. The vendor then put a new fence up to block off the view to neighbours yard...bless. I am sure they had numerous comments which led them to go to that much effort. That house sold after 3 months.

If it is just a bit of overgrown grass I think that's ok. If it was neglect to the building, then i would worry if there was damp etc effecting your house. I am a worrier tho!

Goodluck
    Originally posted by pollyannaL
    Thank you so much! You have put my mind at ease. The house is perfect and fences. It is just the gardens that are like a jungle no rubbish or things like that just a lot of brambles and grass. You can only see it from the top floor and second floor of my townhouse. Like you I am a worrier!
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 20th Apr 17, 5:53 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Tiners
    Madness..you wonder what some people are thinking. Money to burn!

Agents just love giddy, gullible mug buyers like this.

Has anyone else noticed when talking with estate agents, especially at a viewing, as soon as you let them know that you've done a little bit of homework about the property or the local market in general, their whole demeanour and attitude changes.... they instantly go from being friendly and charming smarmy , to being bristly, defensive and almost offended that you've dared to do your research and you're not just going to rock up, be ''super excited'' about the property and hand over the full asking price on the spot.
    • satchef1
    • By satchef1 20th Apr 17, 9:45 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    satchef1
    Well... I've found the house. About 3 months too early though; I haven't got the funds in place yet.

I went to view a house on a new build development, told the sales advisor I'm not ready to buy yet and won't be until August/September. Gave her a rough idea of my budget. Got shown round the house I wanted to see. Afterward, she suggested I view the next house up in the range; they have one completed and fully kitted out as a "Viewhome". It's great. But I pointed out it was way over budget. I got an "Is it?" and a wink, followed by "If you are able to buy sooner, say in the next few weeks, then it would be worth putting an offer in".

I can see why this plot hasn't been popular. The garden is the smallest of the surrounding plots. The house looks on to social housing on an existing street, away from the main development (its neighbours all look on to countryside). Neither of these points bother me; the garden is fine and I know the street it's on quite well. It's quiet. The vast majority of people there own the houses and are in their 50's and 60's. The things that I assume have put others off are something of a non-issue for me.

I'm currently trying to get the extra cash together to put in that offer. If it looks like it'll happen, I'll book a second viewing.
    • jlaw4
    • By jlaw4 20th Apr 17, 11:03 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    jlaw4
    Originally posted by shell88
    I was in exactly the same position a month ago! We put in a number of offers on houses that suited us but all went insanely over asking price and we weren't prepared to go that far! One went as far as £20K over asking despite a house on the same street being £45K cheaper, utter madness. As it turns out a house at the top of our budget back in jan had been reduced by £15K and was relisted... literally around the corner from the over £20k one... we offered and got it! I guess what im trying to say is the pain is awful and disappointment at thinking you are being fair (we offered 6 & 9K over asking and still wasn't enough) but when the right one comes along and it WILL! you will laugh at the mugs thinking they will ever get a profit on a house they paid so much for!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 20th Apr 17, 11:10 AM
    • 8,838 Posts
    • 10,971 Thanks
    hazyjo
    House prices have been slowly dropping in Leigh-on-Sea where I'm looking. One sale fell through and the house is back on (which we have viewed, love, and would buy), and another I have always loved the look of has just had £25k knocked off. I am desperate to see it, but without a buyer I know this is one I need to avoid viewing. I reckon it'll go soon now and I expect we'll lose it - but if it's meant to be, it'll be!

There's also another that we initially really wanted, the location is better and there's more scope to add value in the long term, but I'm not sure if/when we'd have the money for that and I think it'll feel small after a while.

So hard If we had a buyer, it'd be working out perfectly lol. Chains are sooooo hard to form aren't they!

The only positive are that there are three we would consider, so when/if we do get a buyer, we might hopefully be able to get one of them!

Good luck all!

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; cinema tickets; lipstick; tickets, afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne at Ideal Home Show; 2 cases of NKD)
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 20th Apr 17, 1:19 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    amateur house
    Quite a few houses in the area I am looking have been sold stc and then re-appear on rightmove a week or two later, some 2 or 3 times. Sadly none of the ones I am interested in / can afford to buy

Reading all of your stories on here of eventually finding the right house gives me hope though maybe it will be my turn next.
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 21st Apr 17, 7:29 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    Well, i had my second viewing and took a different family member. Just had a really unsure feeling, half exciting but then dread at buying a property with so many unknowns. It wasn't a full renovation project, but it would need new kitchen / bathroom (bathroom was tiny upstairs), new gutters, radiators, new plugs (only 2 in the kitchen / lounge) and then under the stairs there was a small w.c!! some features were lovely, just what i want. On looking at back of house I could see patches of cracks and parts where render had completely blown out. This scares me!!!! I automatically think it's a dodge house!
    So i told agent today I'm not making an offer, as said i was going to on viewing, and then later in day it came up as sold. So this property is now out of the picture. Felt relieved a bit to be honest.

Also, when i ask estate agents showing me around, basic questions about the house - they have not a clue. Nothing about boiler age, roof, how old house is, wouldn't tell me the price it was reduced from last month (wouldn't show on property bee). Also they say theres been an offer, I ask how much and they say we can't say. Is this normal????
    Does a house with cracks etc put you off? Feel i am being stupid disregarding houses so early on..

I am never going to find a house at this rate.
    Last edited by pollyannaL; 21-04-2017 at 7:31 PM. Reason: added info
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 21st Apr 17, 7:40 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    amateur house
    Well, i had my second viewing and took a different family member. Just had a really unsure feeling, half exciting but then dread at buying a property with so many unknowns. It wasn't a full renovation project, but it would need new kitchen / bathroom (bathroom was tiny upstairs), new gutters, radiators, new plugs (only 2 in the kitchen / lounge) and then under the stairs there was a small w.c!! some features were lovely, just what i want. On looking at back of house I could see patches of cracks and parts where render had completely blown out. This scares me!!!! I automatically think it's a dodge house!
    So i told agent today I'm not making an offer, as said i was going to on viewing, and then later in day it came up as sold. So this property is now out of the picture. Felt relieved a bit to be honest.

Also, when i ask estate agents showing me around, basic questions about the house - they have not a clue. Nothing about boiler age, roof, how old house is, wouldn't tell me the price it was reduced from last month (wouldn't show on property bee). Also they say theres been an offer, I ask how much and they say we can't say. Is this normal????
    Does a house with cracks etc put you off? Feel i am being stupid disregarding houses so early on..

I am never going to find a house at this rate.
    It sounds like that house needs a lot of work, it may have been bought by someone who can do the work themselves, who knows what they are taking on. Zoopla shows the history of any price reductions, have you checked on there?

It varies whether agents will tell you what other offers are, some do, but I don't know if they are supposed to. A house with cracks would put me off, though you could get a local builder to take a look and ask their opinion.

I know the feeling of thinking you will never find a house
    • pizzawithcheese
    • By pizzawithcheese 22nd Apr 17, 8:00 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pizzawithcheese
    Can I join this thread please?

We're first time buyers with two young kids moving to a new area.

We found a lovely house we absolutely love BUT it has no parking or ways to make parking and the road outside is double yellows. I still don't think it'd bother me that much - it's walking distance to the town centre and there's a train station, hospital etc too (I'd happily get rid of our car!) - but it's now been on the market for 3 weeks so I'm worried it'll be very difficult to sell on...
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 22nd Apr 17, 11:12 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    amateur house
    Can I join this thread please?

We're first time buyers with two young kids moving to a new area.

We found a lovely house we absolutely love BUT it has no parking or ways to make parking and the road outside is double yellows. I still don't think it'd bother me that much - it's walking distance to the town centre and there's a train station, hospital etc too (I'd happily get rid of our car!) - but it's now been on the market for 3 weeks so I'm worried it'll be very difficult to sell on...
    Originally posted by pizzawithcheese
    3 weeks isn't long at all, but it does sound the type of house that would appeal to a limited number of buyers. No parking wouldn't bother me as I don't own a car, but would put some people off. Double yellow lines sounds like it's on a busy road? How quickly have other properties sold on that road?
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 22nd Apr 17, 4:46 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    So, i reconsidered the areas that I have abandoned in my house search - lovely 3 bedder but not in a great area. Booked viewing for next week. Drove passed the house today and the Council are building a development for Social Housing on opposite side of street!!!!! The extra traffic of cars and people on the street would be a nightmare. I then saw loads of pics online of local residents appealing decision. Nightmare. This explains why loads of houses have come on for sale and aren't selling on three surrounding roads! lucky escape.

Anyway, cancelled the visit next week. The estate agent i dealt with was so helpful, compared to the others, so fingers crossed I get on this 'magic list of people who get the house before it goes on rightmove...'!!!

I am feeling positive today anyway about it all....
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 22nd Apr 17, 6:59 PM
    • 4,160 Posts
    • 16,792 Thanks
    Slinky
    I was in exactly the same position a month ago! We put in a number of offers on houses that suited us but all went insanely over asking price and we weren't prepared to go that far! One went as far as £20K over asking despite a house on the same street being £45K cheaper, utter madness. As it turns out a house at the top of our budget back in jan had been reduced by £15K and was relisted... literally around the corner from the over £20k one... we offered and got it! I guess what im trying to say is the pain is awful and disappointment at thinking you are being fair (we offered 6 & 9K over asking and still wasn't enough) but when the right one comes along and it WILL! you will laugh at the mugs thinking they will ever get a profit on a house they paid so much for!
    Originally posted by jlaw4

We've offered a shed load more than the asking price on a property to secure it. We know that we are probably overpaying, but we've been looking for 16 months, almost nothing we want is coming up, this one is in a cracking location for us and we didn't want to lose it. We don't intend to move again, so the issue of profit isn't an issue for us. It may seem madness to you, but maybe later in your life you may find yourself in a similar situation.

We can see that we will be very happy living in this house in this area and we just think we're lucky to be able to afford what we have offered.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 22nd Apr 17, 10:22 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    kilby_007
    Not that I'm bothered as we've decided to wait for a while, but the market is now really polarised here. The upper end of the market (properties 300K - 500K) is in reverse gear. Hardly anything new is coming to the market and I've noticed a few properties that sold in the last few weeks are coming back to the market now! On the other hand, there's dozens of ex buy-to-let properties being listed every day which are typically in the 50-200K range. Not many of these seem to be selling despite there being a large pool of FTB waiting (the new build rabbit hutches are still selling like hotcakes), so I wonder if it's a knock on effect of a lack of properties further up the chain...
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 23rd Apr 17, 6:32 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Tiners
    We've offered a shed load more than the asking price on a property to secure it. We know that we are probably overpaying, but we've been looking for 16 months, almost nothing we want is coming up, this one is in a cracking location for us and we didn't want to lose it. We don't intend to move again, so the issue of profit isn't an issue for us. It may seem madness to you, but maybe later in your life you may find yourself in a similar situation.

We can see that we will be very happy living in this house in this area and we just think we're lucky to be able to afford what we have offered.
    Originally posted by Slinky

Fair enough, but what a strange state of affairs we're in that someone can admit that they're over paying ''by a shed load'' for a property yet still describe themselves as ''lucky''... a whole nation that sounds more like some brainwashed cult followers or victims of Stockholm Syndrome
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

303Posts Today

1,056Users online

Martin's Twitter