Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    • 854Posts
    • 1,900Thanks
    copperjar
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?
    • 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy? 15th Aug 16 at 2:29 PM
    It seems there are a lot of threads from people waiting to sell, get mortgage, an exchange date, new builds etc, but none from people looking to find their dream house, which is no less stressful!

We've been provisionally looking since March/April time and haven't really seen anything but thought we'd get our house on the market anyway and that would push us in the right direction. Got an offer on the house 2 days after it going on the market which we accepted, on the proviso that we'd be given some time to find somewhere. End of Sept was suggested as a reasonable timescale. But we are still no further to finding anywhere at all!

Starting to get pretty stressed and tetchy now! Don't really want to go into rented and it feels like the clock is ticking. Starting to get letters from the solicitor which is worrying me (he knows about us not having anywhere yet) and I'm feeling pressured even though no pressure is being applied!

My experience of estate agents isn't great either. They must be the only customer service industry in the country that won't work outside of office hours and I get most phone calls and effort put in from them trying to get me to speak to their financial advisors! I just want to get a house!! Argh

I know I'm probably in a very good position but it doesn't feel that way right now. Market is so slow, just want a flurry of new houses to come up in September!
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
Page 22
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 12th Apr 17, 6:49 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    amateur house
    So...a perfect property came on rightmove last night at 6pm. I left a voice message with the agent and rang first thing at 9am to ask for a viewing. They said I can tomorrow. Great I thought.

Looked on rightmove an hour later and house was sold. Rang agent; apparently a neighbour had approached the vendor last night (!?) and seller has sold her house based on this neighbour! I was apparently the first viewer booked in tomorrow. Can you believe that. Doesn't it all sound a bit fishy. Why wouldn't the seller want a bidding war!!!!!

Absolutely gutted.

And so the search continues.....really tempted to start putting letters through the doors of property's before I have viewed - and say I am looking forward to the viewing!?! nothing to lose!
    Originally posted by pollyannaL
    Sorry to hear this Pollyanna, I hope you find a house soon. Some houses in the area I am looking appear on Rightmove already 'SOLD'. I don't know how this happens, I think estate agents must be letting some people know about the properties before they are even marketed.

I have been wondering whether it is worth canvassing the area I want to buy in to ask if anyone is considering selling and to contact me if they are.
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 12th Apr 17, 9:07 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    Sorry to hear this Pollyanna, I hope you find a house soon. Some houses in the area I am looking appear on Rightmove already 'SOLD'. I don't know how this happens, I think estate agents must be letting some people know about the properties before they are even marketed.

I have been wondering whether it is worth canvassing the area I want to buy in to ask if anyone is considering selling and to contact me if they are.
    Originally posted by amateur house
    Yeah, i think the agents definately know who the house is going to before it's advertised. There is one agency who are sooo unfriendly, and it just happens that all the houses I like are with them! I have no chance. Especially as I don't want to use their mortgage advisors.

Goodluck too. I am sure we will get there soon...
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 13th Apr 17, 7:02 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Tiners
    The property market in my area seems to be made up almost entirely of ''kite flying'' vendors... people who appear to have no genuine need or desire to move house but are just putting their properties on at all new record high asking prices on the off chance that some gullible mug will pay it.

They then usually do one of two things... have a foot stamping tantrum and withdraw it from the market after around 6-9 months of no interest OR just leave it sat languishing for 2 years, 3 years or much longer in some cases.

The number of houses that come on at a sensible and realistic price and sell reasonably quickly make up an incredibly small proportion of the market from what I can see, probably less than 5%.
    • JP08
    • By JP08 13th Apr 17, 9:10 AM
    • 777 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    JP08

Originally posted by amateur house
    Well, if they're anything like the agent who's currently marketing our house then yes, they do have a list of people who are looking*, and as we're finding, you don't get on that little list until you have a buyer for your house.

*to the extent that he'd got one couple round before we'd signed the paperwork (though we had already indicated that we'd be signing with them), well before the photos had been taken (complete with a "spot the estate agent" that could grace the "Have a look at this" thread, but I think it might be a little unethical to post your own house ad there !), and well well before it hit Rightmove.
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 13th Apr 17, 10:00 AM
    • 3,006 Posts
    • 6,220 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    The property market in my area seems to be made up almost entirely of ''kite flying'' vendors... people who appear to have no genuine need or desire to move house but are just putting their properties on at all new record high asking prices on the off chance that some gullible mug will pay it.

They then usually do one of two things... have a foot stamping tantrum and withdraw it from the market after around 6-9 months of no interest OR just leave it sat languishing for 2 years, 3 years or much longer in some cases.

The number of houses that come on at a sensible and realistic price and sell reasonably quickly make up an incredibly small proportion of the market from what I can see, probably less than 5%.
    Originally posted by Tiners
    Sounds like the property market where we are One nearby house has been for sale since 2011 with no interior photos

A few houses are realistically priced with great pics and sell fairly quickly.

We are from outside the area and have never taken longer than six months to find a buyer - last house took five weeks, previous one ten days - so this seems mighty strange to us. Perhaps we've just been more motivated, but if we weren't getting viewings/offers we would drop the price/get new photos taken etc......

We won't be ready to sell till 2018, but are already monitoring the area we're hoping to move to and very few properties of the type we want (rural ruin with a few acres!) are hitting the market. Hopefully next year will be different
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 13th Apr 17, 12:23 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    amateur house
    Sounds like the property market where we are One nearby house has been for sale since 2011 with no interior photos

A few houses are realistically priced with great pics and sell fairly quickly.

We are from outside the area and have never taken longer than six months to find a buyer - last house took five weeks, previous one ten days - so this seems mighty strange to us. Perhaps we've just been more motivated, but if we weren't getting viewings/offers we would drop the price/get new photos taken etc......

We won't be ready to sell till 2018, but are already monitoring the area we're hoping to move to and very few properties of the type we want (rural ruin with a few acres!) are hitting the market. Hopefully next year will be different
    Originally posted by phoebe1989seb
    There is a lot less coming on to the market this year than in 2016. Fingers​ crossed 2018 will be better.

We took 3 weeks to sell last time we moved (20 years ago), but the house we bought had been on 2 years and had gradually reduced the price, the only reason we could afford it. I hope it won't take 2 years when we eventually sell it.
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 16th Apr 17, 10:27 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    This thread hasn't been very busy; assuming it is down to the bank hols. Doesn't stop me constantly checking Rightmove though! Arghhhhh....still no new properties. Had to have a re-think, whether I want to sacrifice on my location, but have decided to wait it out. For me the key thing is location, then a 3 bedroom house & finally south facing garden.

What are you all after in terms of preferences in a house?

Goodluck to everyone for next week! Let's hope one of us is successful in our search...
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 17th Apr 17, 12:43 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    amateur house
    This thread hasn't been very busy; assuming it is down to the bank hols. Doesn't stop me constantly checking Rightmove though! Arghhhhh....still no new properties. Had to have a re-think, whether I want to sacrifice on my location, but have decided to wait it out. For me the key thing is location, then a 3 bedroom house & finally south facing garden.

What are you all after in terms of preferences in a house?

Goodluck to everyone for next week! Let's hope one of us is successful in our search...
    Me too, Rightmove and Zoopla several times a day

I am looking for a 2 bedroom, would love either semi-detached or end terrace, but on my budget will more likely end up with a mid-terrace. I am even considering flats, but really want some outside space. The service charges are off putting with flats too. I had found a house (needed a lot of work though), but had a last minute wobble and pulled out of the purchase. I realised my mistake 2 days later and asked if the vendor would still proceed with the sale, but they already had a new cash buyer who was paying more than me. So I am back to square one £800 poorer
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 17th Apr 17, 9:39 AM
    • 659 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    kilby_007
    We've stopped searching, and waiting to see if house prices continue a downward trend...
    • juniordoc
    • By juniordoc 17th Apr 17, 10:15 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    juniordoc
    We've also stopped searching as prices have stalled in our area and there's nothing on the market that we want to buy. It looks like it will be 2018 for us too.
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 17th Apr 17, 11:17 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Tiners
    In my area you'd have to be extremely desperate to buy somewhere right now, the choice is abysmal and asking prices just ridiculous.

Certainly worth sitting tight for now from what I can see.
    • katebl
    • By katebl 17th Apr 17, 1:12 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    katebl
    Getting rightmove updates and still hearing from the odd estate agent but not bothered booking any viewings for the last couple months now. Will keep adding to our deposit and hoping for a bit of downward movement - the lack of 2 bed houses in our area makes it hard to find anything and we need about a 10-15% drop to afford a 3 bed.
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 18th Apr 17, 8:30 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    Oh, it seems everyone is waiting 'til 2018!

I am in a position where i HAVE to move, literally cannot stay where I am any longer.
    After the lack of properties on Rightmove over the past week, today was fairly busy. 2 properties have come on in the area I want - they are just WELL below my budget. Although 3 beds they are complete renovation projects, as in knocking walls through, possible wiring (I have not got a clue and would need to pay professionals for everything...) I feel I am desperate though to move and cannot think straight anymore! I am revisiting all the properties I disregarded and am now viewing those...

2 viewings tomorrow. 1 house is semi detached, in area i want and south facing garden. It's just a weird layout, with what looks like a w.c under the stairs (!?) and a long narrow kitchen...just looks very squished.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 18th Apr 17, 10:02 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    kilby_007
    I feel I am desperate though to move and cannot think straight anymore! I am revisiting all the properties I disregarded and am now viewing those...
    Been there a year ago, still looking!! We viewed a place 10% over our budget just out of desperation and came away very critical about the terrible layout and design of the place. It's still on the market now and has been reduced by quite a bit. If you don't think it's worth buying, and it's still on the market, then clearly other people think the same.

Please don't settle for something rubbish just because there's nothing suitable at the moment! Stick it out and something will come along. Looks like most buyers know something is afoot so holding off buying which will give you the advantage if you do find something you want. That said, I would still wait it out to be honest.
    • Chrisuk78
    • By Chrisuk78 18th Apr 17, 10:34 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Chrisuk78
    hi guys. I have been looking for a property for a property for 2 years now and getting desperate.

The area I live in seems to one of thee few (according to some other boards) were house prices seem to be going up all the time. more than I can save it seems sometimes.

Getting to the stage that either I just buy something(anything) now before everything is out of my reach or admit defeat and look further afield.

There is a severe lack of property in my area so anything half decent is snapped up in a matter of days. I have been out bid quite a few times by cash investors and everywhere seems to be doing open days and having guide prices.

Not sure I have the strength to keep searching much longer. I hate that I'm almost tied to rightmove. and if one more person asks me how the house hunting is going I think i'm going to have breakdown.

What are others doing? waiting?
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 18th Apr 17, 10:40 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    Been there a year ago, still looking!! We viewed a place 10% over our budget just out of desperation and came away very critical about the terrible layout and design of the place. It's still on the market now and has been reduced by quite a bit. If you don't think it's worth buying, and it's still on the market, then clearly other people think the same.

Please don't settle for something rubbish just because there's nothing suitable at the moment! Stick it out and something will come along. Looks like most buyers know something is afoot so holding off buying which will give you the advantage if you do find something you want. That said, I would still wait it out to be honest.
    Originally posted by kilby_007

Thanks Kilby - will see how the viewings go tomorrow. My heart isn't really in it, but got people telling me to view the properties. Half the pics on rightmove do not show the whole house , literally has 3 pics and 2 of them are of the garden - so bizarre. I then have to go through previous sales / history to get pictures of the whole house. Such effort!
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 18th Apr 17, 11:47 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    kilby_007
    Thanks Kilby - will see how the viewings go tomorrow. My heart isn't really in it, but got people telling me to view the properties. Half the pics on rightmove do not show the whole house , literally has 3 pics and 2 of them are of the garden - so bizarre. I then have to go through previous sales / history to get pictures of the whole house. Such effort!
    Some of my family members are less than supportive. My mum and dad buy a house every few months to do up and sell and think we're messing about. My dad doesn't understand my reluctance to settle in what will be an average 3 bed semi (top of our budget) when we're earning 3.5 times the average local wage. If we'd bought in the areas we're looking at 5 years ago, we could have bought a 5 bed detached with land for the same price, and wages haven't really increased since then. My brother-in-law leapt into a purcahse with both feet (bought the first flat available on the market) and I get the feeling he thinks we're messing about too. Same from work colleagues, etc etc, but I'm sticking to my guns - nobody is telling me what to do with my hard earned cash or what houses to view (much to my mum's frustration, constantly ringing me with "amazing houses" just near her house)...

It's frustrating when you have to trawl through previous listings isn't it! Sometimes you find out some interesting information though, such as the same decor/rugs in the last listing 5 years ago when it hadn't sold previously! I found a youtube video of a house we were looking at showing it in the middle of a very big, very deep puddle in 2007. Gave that one a wide berth!
    Last edited by kilby_007; 18-04-2017 at 11:54 PM.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 19th Apr 17, 10:24 AM
    • 8,770 Posts
    • 10,868 Thanks
    hazyjo
    hi guys. I have been looking for a property for a property for 2 years now and getting desperate.

The area I live in seems to one of thee few (according to some other boards) were house prices seem to be going up all the time. more than I can save it seems sometimes.

Getting to the stage that either I just buy something(anything) now before everything is out of my reach or admit defeat and look further afield.

There is a severe lack of property in my area so anything half decent is snapped up in a matter of days. I have been out bid quite a few times by cash investors and everywhere seems to be doing open days and having guide prices.

Not sure I have the strength to keep searching much longer. I hate that I'm almost tied to rightmove. and if one more person asks me how the house hunting is going I think i'm going to have breakdown.

What are others doing? waiting?
    Originally posted by Chrisuk78
    Sounds like it's more like your budget won't get you what you want. So you need to decide on what you compromise on. A bedroom? Parking? Garden? Location?

The market does generally seem like it's been dropping for the last month or two. Barely any interest in my house, and I'm seeing loads of price reductions. (Not saying a recession is coming, just that it's a down time - who knows how long for.) The upcoming election won't help matters. People hate a deadline and, even if it won't make any difference, they always say they'll wait until after whatever event before buying/selling.

If it is purely lack of stock, you could always leaflet some roads you're particularly interested in.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; cinema tickets; lipstick; tickets, afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne at Ideal Home Show
    • 9ja4life
    • By 9ja4life 19th Apr 17, 3:45 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    9ja4life
    We haven't quite managed to find anything we want as we pulled out of the last one due to needing to extend massively to get what we want spacewise. Plus OH has been offered a secondment to Oceania for 2 years and we are very very tempted to take it.
    So we've decided to buy something that is practical and will either sell or rent quickly. It also means we don't come off the market completely if we do leave the UK which is looking highly likely. We've opted for a 4 bed in a commuter town. Offer accepted today!
    • Chrisuk78
    • By Chrisuk78 19th Apr 17, 8:31 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Chrisuk78
    Sounds like it's more like your budget won't get you what you want. So you need to decide on what you compromise on. A bedroom? Parking? Garden? Location?

The market does generally seem like it's been dropping for the last month or two. Barely any interest in my house, and I'm seeing loads of price reductions. (Not saying a recession is coming, just that it's a down time - who knows how long for.) The upcoming election won't help matters. People hate a deadline and, even if it won't make any difference, they always say they'll wait until after whatever event before buying/selling.

If it is purely lack of stock, you could always leaflet some roads you're particularly interested in.

Jx
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    Thank you for the response. Much appreciated.

I'm starting to think I need to expand my search. Regarding compromise so far I've compromised on everything apart from location(I'm not even looking in the nicer parts of my city) and garden. I just want the convenience of living close to work and friends. I previously had an apartment in the city centre which has spoilt me I think

Ive started to look at new build developments recently and saw some lovely persimmon houses, but it was 30 minutes drive away from where I want to be, but you do get a lot more for you money.

Has anyone done the leaflet thing? Did you have much success?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin