Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    • 857Posts
    • 2,002Thanks
    copperjar
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?
    • 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy? 15th Aug 16 at 2:29 PM
    It seems there are a lot of threads from people waiting to sell, get mortgage, an exchange date, new builds etc, but none from people looking to find their dream house, which is no less stressful!

We've been provisionally looking since March/April time and haven't really seen anything but thought we'd get our house on the market anyway and that would push us in the right direction. Got an offer on the house 2 days after it going on the market which we accepted, on the proviso that we'd be given some time to find somewhere. End of Sept was suggested as a reasonable timescale. But we are still no further to finding anywhere at all!

Starting to get pretty stressed and tetchy now! Don't really want to go into rented and it feels like the clock is ticking. Starting to get letters from the solicitor which is worrying me (he knows about us not having anywhere yet) and I'm feeling pressured even though no pressure is being applied!

My experience of estate agents isn't great either. They must be the only customer service industry in the country that won't work outside of office hours and I get most phone calls and effort put in from them trying to get me to speak to their financial advisors! I just want to get a house!! Argh

I know I'm probably in a very good position but it doesn't feel that way right now. Market is so slow, just want a flurry of new houses to come up in September!
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
Page 18
    • juniordoc
    • By juniordoc 20th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    juniordoc
    Well we now know that article 50 will be triggered next week, setting off a period a huge financial uncertainty.
    I think this will work in favour of buyers, it's a risky time to be being a house (and an even riskier time to be overpaying for one!).
    • jlaw4
    • By jlaw4 20th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    jlaw4
    It might not cost much, it sounds like its desirable now?

I think I must search rightmove about 5-10 times a day.
    Thank god im not the only one!!
    • joshardy
    • By joshardy 20th Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    joshardy
    Well we now know that article 50 will be triggered next week, setting off a period a huge financial uncertainty.
    I think this will work in favour of buyers, it's a risky time to be being a house (and an even riskier time to be overpaying for one!).
    Originally posted by juniordoc
    I hope so! We've finally got a decent deposit together and so are now actively looking - Well priced houses just don't stay on the market for very long at all where we are (Wiltshire). It's difficult to get a viewing!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 21st Mar 17, 8:14 AM
    • 4,441 Posts
    • 18,625 Thanks
    Slinky
    Originally posted by juniordoc
    Well we offered 96% asking price on a house, the Monday after the referendum. They turned us down and it's still for sale. We had another look just before Christmas but decided it wasn't for us anymore.
    • joshardy
    • By joshardy 21st Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    joshardy
    We've finally managed to get a couple of viewings, one today, one tomorrow and one on Friday. Excited to have a look but a little nervous as well. They all seem overpriced, considering their size and what the current owners paid for them (damn that rightmove tool!), so hopefully there's a little movement there to make me feel like I'm getting a good deal....
    • AD13
    • By AD13 21st Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    AD13
    JLaw we're looking at Prestwich/Whitefield area and they're just going way too quickly for way too much we think! Hopefully the right one will come along soon, good luck!
    • cashbackproblems
    • By cashbackproblems 21st Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    cashbackproblems
    Hang in there I had an offer accepted after 2 years of searching, everything was going so quick being a south east commuter town and I don't have a massive budget.

But finally I had a LL who was selling and wanted a quick sale and got somewhere which needed a bit of work. Keep looking daily, move quick and don't over offer. The market will definitely fall flat after next week even though nothing has changed confidence will be down for some time.
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 21st Mar 17, 9:58 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    amateur house
    The market will definitely fall flat after next week even though nothing has changed confidence will be down for some time.
    Originally posted by cashbackproblems
    I hope you're right. I viewed a house yesterday which I thought was a bit overpriced. It's been on less than a week and had lots of viewings and one offer already. I feel like giving up
    • joshardy
    • By joshardy 22nd Mar 17, 11:14 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    joshardy
    Well after the viewing last night I have new found respect for the EA's photographic skills. Even though you have the dimensions on the floor plan, I'm still amazed at how small rooms/kitchens are as opposed to how they look in photographs!

It also didn't help when the vendor made no effort to empty out a load of storage boxes from a bedroom which made it very difficult to gauge the size! Oh well, another viewing this evening, here's hoping it goes a little better!
    • joshardy
    • By joshardy 22nd Mar 17, 5:49 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    joshardy
    So we were sat outside the property for our viewing at 1700 and received an email (sent at 1658) cancelling the viewing. Annoyed is not the word!
    • jlaw4
    • By jlaw4 22nd Mar 17, 6:23 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    jlaw4
    Well after the viewing last night I have new found respect for the EA's photographic skills. Even though you have the dimensions on the floor plan, I'm still amazed at how small rooms/kitchens are as opposed to how they look in photographs!

It also didn't help when the vendor made no effort to empty out a load of storage boxes from a bedroom which made it very difficult to gauge the size! Oh well, another viewing this evening, here's hoping it goes a little better!
    Originally posted by joshardy
    We are the same! some of the listings are like its a different house! i went to two today, the second one has no mention in the listing that the vendors decided to leave the rewiring half finished the pipes are all exposed and a brand new kitchen island is damaged! all for a lovely asking price of £190K!!

I feel like screaming as most of the houses coming on now need at least 15K spending on them.
    • joshardy
    • By joshardy 22nd Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    joshardy
    We are the same! some of the listings are like its a different house! i went to two today, the second one has no mention in the listing that the vendors decided to leave the rewiring half finished the pipes are all exposed and a brand new kitchen island is damaged! all for a lovely asking price of £190K!!

I feel like screaming as most of the houses coming on now need at least 15K spending on them.
    Originally posted by jlaw4
    I feel your pain! We've visited a few now and I know 'it's the market' but I look at them and think no way can this house be worth [I]x[I]. Half of them need new kitchens, bathrooms etc. At this stage I'll be amazed if I find a house in my price range with what I need that I could just move into without having to update it.
    • jessy-eve
    • By jessy-eve 23rd Mar 17, 9:39 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    jessy-eve
    I am hating house hunting thought it would be so much fun after finally saving all of the money side of things. We have been looking (in a large 10 mile radius in a city) since July for a 3 bedroom house with a garage. All the ones that suit us, we arrange viewings for and they either, go way above asking price, are nothing like what was advertised or are sold before we even get a chance! Every time a house we like is listed I don't even get excited anymore
    personal savings = £15700 joint house deposit savings = £34079.63
    #21 - Save 12K in 2017 £2156.95/£3500 61.6%
    • mrnmrsFTB
    • By mrnmrsFTB 23rd Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mrnmrsFTB
    Hi all, been reading this forum for a few weeks and decided to finally join.

We are FTB, and are finding the market extremely difficult. We had saved 10% deposit finally but now we are looking to buy a house l, prices in our area seem have gone up vastly in the last 5 months. We love the area, currently renting, and just want to settle here. We only plan on buying once, moved house far too many times the last 6 years (renting).

Just looking for other people's thoughts on how they are getting with the process of finding their new home. Look forward to hearing from you all. TIA
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 24th Mar 17, 12:53 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    kilby_007
    Every time a house we like is listed I don't even get excited anymore
    Originally posted by jessy-eve
    Snap! We've been looking for 18 months! We've got to various stages of the buying process with 5 properties only to find issues (usually structural) meaning we've had to pull out which has made me paranoid about every house we see now. Don't enjoy looking or watching the asking prices go up, getting really stressed out and cheesed off with it all! Yesterday we saw a property who's vendors were asking 25% more than an identical build 3 doors down sold for in April last year. Absolute madness! When the EA phoned I'd literally just spotted the other sale on rightmove and rather than trying to negotiate just told them the vendors need to adjust their expectations (and price) by a significant margin before any negotiations start and he snorted and said "OK I'll feed that back". Incidentally, that house has been for sale with 3 different agents on/off for 6 years so I think it's a fairly extreme case of overpricing.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 24th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 4,441 Posts
    • 18,625 Thanks
    Slinky
    I may have some news next week.......
    • joshardy
    • By joshardy 25th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    joshardy
    Offer submitted - was a bit cheeky so half expecting it to be rejected - the house does need a bit of work/updating tho so here's hoping!
    • RightyTightyLeftyLoosey
    • By RightyTightyLeftyLoosey 25th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    RightyTightyLeftyLoosey
    I got a DIP nearly 2 months ago, and have plenty of deposit but I'm toiling to find a 3 bedroomed house in the areas I'm looking at - loads of 4/5 beds and 2 beds or flats on at the moment!

There were lots of nice things on Rightmove before Xmas (when I wasn't looking to move!).

Trying to be patient...good luck to everyone.
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 25th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    I have viewed about 7 houses and put in my first offer today.
    The EA literally said 'we have had loads of offers above that' and basically said this offer is pointless. The property is over priced, the agent admitted this during the visit, it's been up since last year. I went in about 12% under offer. Not going to make a furth offer as the EA basically said there have been offers about 5% below asking price and still vendor has declined (??!). It's def not worth that price!

Onwards and upwards.....
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 25th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    kilby_007
    I have viewed about 7 houses and put in my first offer today.
    The EA literally said 'we have had loads of offers above that' and basically said this offer is pointless. The property is over priced, the agent admitted this during the visit, it's been up since last year. I went in about 12% under offer. Not going to make a furth offer as the EA basically said there have been offers about 5% below asking price and still vendor has declined (??!). It's def not worth that price!

Onwards and upwards.....
    Originally posted by pollyannaL
    You do right. Stick to your guns and don't offer more than you think somewhere is worth just because other people are. The Estate Agent may well be telling the truth about higher offers, but they are Estate Agents remember, so take anything they say with a pinch of salt! It's like the car salesman who tells you a car has just come in at a "special price" and will sell to the next person who walks through the door...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,077Posts Today

8,805Users online

Martin's Twitter