Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    • 846Posts
    • 1,878Thanks
    copperjar
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?
    • 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy? 15th Aug 16 at 2:29 PM
    It seems there are a lot of threads from people waiting to sell, get mortgage, an exchange date, new builds etc, but none from people looking to find their dream house, which is no less stressful!

We've been provisionally looking since March/April time and haven't really seen anything but thought we'd get our house on the market anyway and that would push us in the right direction. Got an offer on the house 2 days after it going on the market which we accepted, on the proviso that we'd be given some time to find somewhere. End of Sept was suggested as a reasonable timescale. But we are still no further to finding anywhere at all!

Starting to get pretty stressed and tetchy now! Don't really want to go into rented and it feels like the clock is ticking. Starting to get letters from the solicitor which is worrying me (he knows about us not having anywhere yet) and I'm feeling pressured even though no pressure is being applied!

My experience of estate agents isn't great either. They must be the only customer service industry in the country that won't work outside of office hours and I get most phone calls and effort put in from them trying to get me to speak to their financial advisors! I just want to get a house!! Argh

I know I'm probably in a very good position but it doesn't feel that way right now. Market is so slow, just want a flurry of new houses to come up in September!
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
Page 17
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 15,979 Thanks
    Slinky
    We're waiting on news about our increased offer. Several people chasing the property, fingers crossed we've gone far enough.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 9th Mar 17, 10:29 AM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 15,979 Thanks
    Slinky
    Sadly we were outbid.
    • 9ja4life
    • By 9ja4life 9th Mar 17, 1:44 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    9ja4life
    Viewed two houses this week. Both overpriced and too small. Although i am a single applicant, I know i could get more space for my money. Also, next door neighbours garden looked like step-toes yard & half his roof was missing, so that put me off from the start.
    My sister told me off for asking too many questions and for checking the windows (i want lots of fresh air!) but why not!? if i can get the most out of the first viewing, what's wrong with that!?
    Patiently waiting for more houses to come onto the market now....
    Originally posted by pollyannaL
    I ask so many questions and open absolutely every door! I'm planning to spend a fortune!
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 10th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 480 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    strawberries1
    Sadly we were outbid.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    I felt so sad and dejected when I heard my news yday too.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Mar 17, 9:26 AM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 15,979 Thanks
    Slinky
    We offered £16K more than asking, which is £26K more than one went for in October on the opposite side of the road. Could have afforded more but couldn't justify it. Needs a total renovation, new electrics, kitchen, bathroom, doors, flooring and eventually windows. Think it probably went for more than £4-5K than we bid. This isn't Scotland or London either.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th Mar 17, 12:07 PM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 15,979 Thanks
    Slinky
    I have now takent to stalking recent properties of interest which are marked sold. A few went under offer just as we started looking in our new target area that we weren't able to look at. One agent this morning says a vendor can't find something to move to so the purchasers could be getting itchy before too much longer. We're not in any great hurry to move (nothing to sell), so I've told the agent to contact me if it looks like the chain will fall through.
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 15th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    strawberries1
    I felt so sad and dejected when I heard my news yday too.
    Originally posted by strawberries1
    Yay! Buyer pulled out, I matched and my offer has been accepted!! I've spoken to L&C for my mortgage. I'm a 1st time buyer, been trying to buy for 4 years!! How do I select my solicitor please and where to go to compare mortgages?
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 15th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    strawberries1
    I have now takent to stalking recent properties of interest which are marked sold. A few went under offer just as we started looking in our new target area that we weren't able to look at. One agent this morning says a vendor can't find something to move to so the purchasers could be getting itchy before too much longer. We're not in any great hurry to move (nothing to sell), so I've told the agent to contact me if it looks like the chain will fall through.
    That's what I did.
    I told the agent to let me know if it falls through!!
    Though he'd said severl people had bid higher than me he called me today and said the buyer had pulled out and the ppty was back on the market! I said I'll match what was accepted (silly perhaps ) but I'm just glad to finally have lift off after over a decade years renting!! Praise God!!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Mar 17, 5:19 PM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 15,979 Thanks
    Slinky
    Yay! Buyer pulled out, I matched and my offer has been accepted!! I've spoken to L&C for my mortgage. I'm a 1st time buyer, been trying to buy for 4 years!! How do I select my solicitor please and where to go to compare mortgages?
    Originally posted by strawberries1
    Congratulations. Ask people you know for any recommendations for solicitors and any local whole of market mortgage advisors.
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 16th Mar 17, 12:43 AM
    • 480 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    strawberries1
    Congratulations. Ask people you know for any recommendations for solicitors and any local whole of market mortgage advisors.
    Thank you!
    • silkz
    • By silkz 16th Mar 17, 12:51 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    silkz
    Yep also looking for a house to move onto within the same postcode where we currently live. It's pretty dry as most houses are HMO student lets so when one comes on the market, it usually gets snapped up by someone richer than us. Not many family properties about & most need a lot of work being ex-rentals. The other side of the border is too expensive as sought after area.
    Currently I'm only 2 streets away from an outstanding school in catchment, 5 mins walk from the high street. I'd have to move back further within the area to find a house in budget, but all still so over priced! It's going to take ages but so far my buyer is willing to wait, she's moved back in with her parents!
    • hmd1987
    • By hmd1987 17th Mar 17, 9:53 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    hmd1987
    i know it's cheeky but i don't suppose anyone is looking to buy in Preston, Lancashire?
    • depressed_but_determined
    • By depressed_but_determined 17th Mar 17, 10:06 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    depressed_but_determined
    We have just bought a 3 bed in the west of Glasgow.
    Been a bit of a journey and ended up with a fantastic private sale! The seller contacted me after a post I made on another forum.
    Toasted with champagne with the seller when we agreed a price. Under valuation which is unheard of up here. There are some genuine nice people out there.
    Offer in yesterday, mortgage approved today (it was already initiated after a previous sale fell through) and moving in date is the 18th April.
    I can't believe these things actually happen!
    LBM: 09/12/2008
    £36000 £0 on 4 cards and a personal loan. Debt Remedy. Signed with CCCS on 14/01/2009 started Feb 2009. Finished March 2016

Lessons learned and facing the struggle have made my life better than I ever thought it could be. Thank you Stepchange and DFW forum
    • jlaw4
    • By jlaw4 17th Mar 17, 11:06 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jlaw4
    Hi! I'd like to join this thread as i've recently started looking to buy and from reading all the success stories thought it'd be easy. I genuinley couldn't have been more wrong.

im looking in manchester and its suddenly gone a bit quiet, we viewed 6 last weekend and made offers on two but both went to best and final and miles over asking price. I just wasn't prepared for the stress at all, anyone else the same? trying to work & book viewings is hard work! and OH has taken a new job visiting london several times a month!

Just looking for some practical tips, they don't like ringing prior to putting on rightmove and most viewings are block and have about 12+ people... how on earth am i going to find anywhere?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck everyone (especially slinky! i read back through your journey hope you find something soon!)
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 17th Mar 17, 11:31 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    amateur house
    Hi! I'd like to join this thread as i've recently started looking to buy and from reading all the success stories thought it'd be easy. I genuinley couldn't have been more wrong.

im looking in manchester and its suddenly gone a bit quiet, we viewed 6 last weekend and made offers on two but both went to best and final and miles over asking price. I just wasn't prepared for the stress at all, anyone else the same? trying to work & book viewings is hard work! and OH has taken a new job visiting london several times a month!

Just looking for some practical tips, they don't like ringing prior to putting on rightmove and most viewings are block and have about 12+ people... how on earth am i going to find anywhere?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck everyone (especially slinky! i read back through your journey hope you find something soon!)
    Originally posted by jlaw4
    I am looking in the Manchester area too, having stupidly pulled out of one purchase on the day I was meant to exchange. It took me about six months to find that house so I don't know what I was thinking! I realised my mistake 2 days later and asked if the vendor would consider going ahead, but they had already had a higher offer from a cash buyer. There seems to be nothing coming on to the market, and anything worth looking at comes on to right move already sold 😞
    • jlaw4
    • By jlaw4 18th Mar 17, 10:21 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jlaw4
    I am looking in the Manchester area too, having stupidly pulled out of one purchase on the day I was meant to exchange. It took me about six months to find that house so I don't know what I was thinking! I realised my mistake 2 days later and asked if the vendor would consider going ahead, but they had already had a higher offer from a cash buyer. There seems to be nothing coming on to the market, and anything worth looking at comes on to right move already sold ��

Where abouts in manchester are you looking? we're the eccles/swinton/urmston side. its crazy, i know that a particular EA post on facebook before they go live so try getting ahead that way... we are finding that FTB are prepared to pay 15-20K above the offers over price?! Wondering how many are going to come back with lower valuations.
    Did you have any particular reason for pulling out?
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 19th Mar 17, 9:35 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    amateur house
    Where abouts in manchester are you looking? we're the eccles/swinton/urmston side. its crazy, i know that a particular EA post on facebook before they go live so try getting ahead that way... we are finding that FTB are prepared to pay 15-20K above the offers over price?! Wondering how many are going to come back with lower valuations.
    Did you have any particular reason for pulling out?
    Originally posted by jlaw4
    I am looking in Bolton, it is a bit cheaper than Manchester itself.

It was a mistake to pull out, but I can't do anything about it now as they have a new buyer who is paying more than I was. I pulled out as I started to panic about not being able to afford all the work the house needed, and wrongly assumed I would still have to pay bills for the house I am living in now. It's not being sold because family are still living in it, but I realised when I move out they will be entitled to claim benefits - jobseekers, council tax benefit etc.
    • AD13
    • By AD13 20th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AD13
    we're looking in Manchester area too - finding that houses are coming up but then going REALLY quickly and for WAY over asking - like 10-20k! We have our limit and have been looking long enough to know how high we'd go for certain properties in certain locations but it's really frustrating that others are going so high to secure them when we think they're crazy!!

Been looking since August last year... and renewed our tenancy twice since then (so fees ££)

Just have to be patient and hope the right one will come up and we won't be outbid!
    • jlaw4
    • By jlaw4 20th Mar 17, 5:29 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jlaw4
    What area of manchester are you looking in AD13? We were outbid on our first two despite putting an offer 6.5K over asking so goodness knows what it actually went for! we've started looking at properties that are still on the market a few weeks after being listed. People are going WAY over what properties are worth here at the moment and i'm just not prepared to be swept up into paying a load more for it!

I hate it when i see a block viewing as i know theres no way im getting it! Good luck & keep me posted how your getting on
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 20th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 15,979 Thanks
    Slinky
    Where we are looking has just popped up as one of the Sunday Times best places to live in Britain. Ouch. I bet that's going to cost us, IF we can ever find something. I think I must search rightmove about 5-10 times a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,010Posts Today

7,277Users online

Martin's Twitter