Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    • 821Posts
    • 1,818Thanks
    copperjar
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?
    • #1
    • 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy? 15th Aug 16 at 2:29 PM
    It seems there are a lot of threads from people waiting to sell, get mortgage, an exchange date, new builds etc, but none from people looking to find their dream house, which is no less stressful!

    We've been provisionally looking since March/April time and haven't really seen anything but thought we'd get our house on the market anyway and that would push us in the right direction. Got an offer on the house 2 days after it going on the market which we accepted, on the proviso that we'd be given some time to find somewhere. End of Sept was suggested as a reasonable timescale. But we are still no further to finding anywhere at all!

    Starting to get pretty stressed and tetchy now! Don't really want to go into rented and it feels like the clock is ticking. Starting to get letters from the solicitor which is worrying me (he knows about us not having anywhere yet) and I'm feeling pressured even though no pressure is being applied!

    My experience of estate agents isn't great either. They must be the only customer service industry in the country that won't work outside of office hours and I get most phone calls and effort put in from them trying to get me to speak to their financial advisors! I just want to get a house!! Argh

    I know I'm probably in a very good position but it doesn't feel that way right now. Market is so slow, just want a flurry of new houses to come up in September!
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £5523.53/£6000
Page 12
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 11th Oct 16, 11:05 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    copperjar
    Hi all, glad I found this thread, tho not had chance to read all replies. I am a first time seller after 30 yrs in same property and doing it alone. I accepted offer on house at end Sept and I am struggling to find anything I like. I thought I was taking too long but reading some of the posts it seems Im not.. Can it really take many months to find new place without EA or buyer getting annoyed as long as i keep them informed? Its taken me best part of 3 weeks completing and sorting forms for the solicitor, which I intend to send back this week, but I was/am on verge of backing out because nothing out there for me. Never been in this situation before and I think I am worrying too much.
    Originally posted by sukavi2011
    We sold on 4th August and didn't find anything until last week in September. We were starting to worry but had been honest with our buyers that we needed some time. I had provisionally given them end of Sept as a date and in our minds if we'd got to mid October without anywhere coming up would probably have pulled out of the sale of asked them if they would continue to wait.
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £5523.53/£6000
    • sukavi2011
    • By sukavi2011 11th Oct 16, 11:32 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    sukavi2011
    Thanks for the replies, I think i will update the EA/buyer tomorrow, and see if they are prepared to wait. I will try view a couple more the weekend but they dont seem to be what i am after, never know may feel different when viewing. I will give myself a date to find something and what to do if i dont.
    • startingout2016
    • By startingout2016 12th Oct 16, 3:55 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    startingout2016
    We are in a bit more of a rush since finding out we are expecting our first child in may next year

    Nothing coming on the market in our budget thats suitable. We may end up renting for quite a while if we can't secure a property before this baby arrives.

    Getting nervous.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 17th Oct 16, 12:02 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 13,850 Thanks
    Slinky
    Well I'm back on this thread again. Pulled out of our purchase this morning, vendor issues with ownership of a strip of land and rights of way across it. Feel the vendor, who would be our neighbour, was trying to have his cake and eat it, and now no longer want him as our neighbour.

    Back to square one nearly £1K poorer.
    • Levs01
    • By Levs01 17th Oct 16, 2:06 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Levs01
    Well I'm back on this thread again. Pulled out of our purchase this morning, vendor issues with ownership of a strip of land and rights of way across it. Feel the vendor, who would be our neighbour, was trying to have his cake and eat it, and now no longer want him as our neighbour.

    Back to square one nearly £1K poorer.
    Originally posted by Slinky

    I'm sorry. I hope you find somewhere else quickly.
    • hannahbond37
    • By hannahbond37 17th Oct 16, 3:00 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    hannahbond37
    Anyone else trying in the Bristol area - specifically Keynsham, absolutely nothing on the market! We offered on one, having specifically put our house on the market with the same agent (so we have priority blah blah blah) we've have 7 viewings and another 7 tonight so would be surprised if we didn't even get an offer. Have a mortgage completely sorted (underwritten and everything) they are just waiting on address for valuation, but missed out on this house in Keynsham because they accepted the other offer. I can understand as we aren't strictly proceedable, but its all in the estate agents hands so am annoyed they didn't push. I think the offer they accepted was lower than ours as well
    • jodiepoke
    • By jodiepoke 19th Oct 16, 10:38 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    jodiepoke
    we've pulled out of a sale on Monday too. The seller was with holding information, didn't even have paperwork in her name they were in the previous owners name and she wanted to complete in 2 weeks time.. we weren't confident in the property and had to pull out.

    A perfect property came up on Monday. It's right in the centre of the town, 5 mins from the gym, supermarkets and shops. Its what we wanted when we first started looking. Im trying not to get too excited as it might not be what we want but its so hard! We are booked in to see it on Saturday.. I'm hoping that no one else will see it and put in a better offer.. if we like it of course,

    fingers crossed!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Oct 16, 5:10 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 13,850 Thanks
    Slinky
    We've got a viewing on a property on Saturday. EA phoned me today to warn me it would be going up as sold on RM as the vendor has received an acceptable offer today, but wants to wait to see what we may offer as we're in a very good position (cash buyer, not selling to buy).

    Not much pressure to make a decision then.....
    • PixarFan
    • By PixarFan 19th Oct 16, 6:43 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    PixarFan
    We have been looking since June. In those months, there has been two houses we have been interested in and put offers in but both rejected. We have looked around countless houses but we just don't think they will be right for us (more often than not, they need a lot of work doing to them). It is getting us down a little, we just want to move! We are first time buyers and in rented accommodation at the moment (furnished) we both work very hard and it is pretty tough coming back after a hard days work in a small little flat, hardly any furniture (things are housed in black bags) and our quality of life in the flat is not great. We just want our own little house to make our own! We have the deposit and mortgage, just waiting to find that 'perfect' house.


    However, there has been a development over the last few weeks - we went to see a house (well three!) but this house in particular we were VERY impressed with. It needed very little work doing to it, it was in very good condition and we could see ourselves living there and getting very excited while looking around. We left it a while because we knew there was going to be an open day and we wanted to wait, as we knew no one would consider our offer before an open day!


    The house is up for £200,000 but this is too much for the house and the street it is on. Even though we could afford it at that price, it simply is not worth that (a house on the same street, three bedrooms and not two like the property we are interested in, is on for sale for £190,000). We offered £187,000 on Monday but it got rejected. Today, we made a new offer, and made it clear this would be our final offer - £191,000. We are just waiting now to hear their response!! Very nervous. Apparently they still have viewings booked and have had one other offer, but the estate agent said this was lower than the second offer we made. I am really hoping it is good news and we finally get the ball rolling!
    • kamdeux
    • By kamdeux 20th Oct 16, 6:11 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    kamdeux
    PixarFan - Hope it goes well and your offer gets accepted, nothing like being able to get out of cramped living into your own place and being able to settle in.
    • PixarFan
    • By PixarFan 20th Oct 16, 7:27 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    PixarFan
    Thank you!!


    Not heard anything today .... I phoned the estate agent just before closing and he was on the phone and they promised he would call back ... but no luck ... hopefully will hear something tomorrow!!!
    • sukavi2011
    • By sukavi2011 21st Oct 16, 7:46 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    sukavi2011
    Ive been looking since aug. Have buyer for mine. Saw one i liked. As this first time selling after 30yr in same house and going alone this time i have no clue. I listened to wrong advice i feel from friends family where making offer was concern. It was first and now have agreed same as anuva offer. Its now up to vendor. I feel this is a mistake i need to learn by for next time
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 21st Oct 16, 7:58 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    copperjar
    You're in a good position if your house is under offer though sukavi. Hopefully the vendor will chose you! Do you wish your offer had been higher?
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £5523.53/£6000
    • sukavi2011
    • By sukavi2011 21st Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    sukavi2011
    Yes i do copper and what was worse i had missed a call from EA that would have given me the option to put it right. Oh well we live n learn i guess.
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 21st Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    copperjar
    Yes i do copper and what was worse i had missed a call from EA that would have given me the option to put it right. Oh well we live n learn i guess.
    Originally posted by sukavi2011
    Can't you increase your offer now?
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £5523.53/£6000
    • alchemist.1
    • By alchemist.1 21st Oct 16, 7:24 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 616 Thanks
    alchemist.1
    We've got a fairly rigid set of criteria (we're Kirsty & Phil's worst nightmare) so we're quite limited. Whenever a property comes up I check things in the following order:-

    1) Check the area - we are looking at 4 quite specific areas in the catchment of good schools and near to the villages, so this further reduces the pool of properties.

    2) Satellite view - how big is the garden in relation to the house - is there potential to expand and still have a good sized garden, workshop and greenhouse?

    3) Floorplan - is it workable? We saw a property last month where the photos looked lovely but the floorplan was contrary (triangle and 'L' shaped rooms and botched extensions) so we knew it was a write off (although as we were desperate we did view it, just confirmed our thoughts!)

    4) Value for money - taking the above into account.

    5) Flood risk. This was the subject of considerable research with our most recent viewing.

    6) Photos - quite low down on the list and we take very little notice of them because they can be vastly misleading (wide angle lenses allow you to see the whole room or garden but also make them look astronomically large!) but sometimes careful scrutinisation will flag up something major which you can then check out when viewing.

    Ultimately the satellite view rules out an awful lot of houses for us due to the plot size which is why it's so high up on my list when searching. To answer your question, there's a couple of properties that fall into the "maybe" category that we could go and see, but they are vastly overpriced and in need of renovation, so it feels like a pointless exercise because we'd need them to come down 15-20% to make them worth the effort.
    Originally posted by kilby_007

    You're not going to get value for money in the market of low supply.
    Especially with that criteria.

    No one is ready to sell at a lower price because of low interest rates at this moment in time.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 22nd Oct 16, 5:49 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 13,850 Thanks
    Slinky
    We've got a viewing on a property on Saturday. EA phoned me today to warn me it would be going up as sold on RM as the vendor has received an acceptable offer today, but wants to wait to see what we may offer as we're in a very good position (cash buyer, not selling to buy).

    Not much pressure to make a decision then.....
    Originally posted by Slinky

    Took a look at the property today - went early before our viewing as the EA was only able to give us a 15 mins slot. In the end we cancelled the viewing without looking inside as the property didn't grab us and there were potential neighbour issues.


    So our search continues. Can't see anything happening until next year now.
    • PixarFan
    • By PixarFan 22nd Oct 16, 10:21 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    PixarFan
    Our second offer got rejected. Been told the estate agent did their best to persuade them that it was a very good offer. I feel a bit gutted now. There is no way the property is worth the £200,000 they are asking for. Very similar houses are selling for £15,000 cheaper on the same street. However, there is just something about this house that grabs us and makes us feel it would be the perfect home for us. I have been told they would take £195,000 (second offer was £191,000). It would be so easy to offer the extra £4000 but I really know it is not worth it. I don't know if to be cheeky and offer £192,500 or just forget it and keep searching! Each week that passes, the more down hearted I get about the whole process. I just feel we need our own house now. Good luck to everybody else!
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 23rd Oct 16, 9:30 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    copperjar
    It's a tough one pixarfan. If you love it that much then a final best offer might be the way to go. I know what you mean about not paying over the odds though. One we offered on a while back is still on the market. No way will they get what they are asking for. Luckily we found another one we loved even more.
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £5523.53/£6000
    • kamdeux
    • By kamdeux 23rd Oct 16, 9:37 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    kamdeux
    PixarFan - If you feel that is the place for you then try them at 193k and see, we are just coming to the end of our 1st purchase and I'm pretty sure it is 10k over what we should be paying but nothing else has come up that we like as much and we just want on with life so made the choice to stick with it as it ticks all the other boxes.

    If your budget will allow it and you feel strongly about the place then for the sake of a few k you may need to just view it as a fe k in rent saved from looking for x more months and a price worth paying to move on in your lives as for us the lack of space and a young son has been causing real problems so despite my reservations over the price it is worth it to sort out the other issues.

    Either way, hope it works out for you. I never realised how stressful trying to buy a house was and I'm pretty sure I don't want to move again after this!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

275Posts Today

1,339Users online

Martin's Twitter