Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    • 821Posts
    • 1,818Thanks
    copperjar
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?
    • 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy? 15th Aug 16 at 2:29 PM
    It seems there are a lot of threads from people waiting to sell, get mortgage, an exchange date, new builds etc, but none from people looking to find their dream house, which is no less stressful!

We've been provisionally looking since March/April time and haven't really seen anything but thought we'd get our house on the market anyway and that would push us in the right direction. Got an offer on the house 2 days after it going on the market which we accepted, on the proviso that we'd be given some time to find somewhere. End of Sept was suggested as a reasonable timescale. But we are still no further to finding anywhere at all!

Starting to get pretty stressed and tetchy now! Don't really want to go into rented and it feels like the clock is ticking. Starting to get letters from the solicitor which is worrying me (he knows about us not having anywhere yet) and I'm feeling pressured even though no pressure is being applied!

My experience of estate agents isn't great either. They must be the only customer service industry in the country that won't work outside of office hours and I get most phone calls and effort put in from them trying to get me to speak to their financial advisors! I just want to get a house!! Argh

I know I'm probably in a very good position but it doesn't feel that way right now. Market is so slow, just want a flurry of new houses to come up in September!
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £5523.53/£6000
Page 11
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 10th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    kilby_007
    I would imagine the EA will get back to you even if they get another offer on the house. So hold your nerve, you have made your offer and now is the awful waiting period! Good luck!!!
    Originally posted by copperjar

Thank you! :-) The EA says that the vendor is selling the house for his aunt and is going to get back to us as soon as they can. I can only assume she's had to move into a home at short notice because there's a car in the garage, most of the furniture is still there and there's some food and other bits and pieces in the cupboards.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 11th Oct 16, 7:30 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    kilby_007
    I spoke to my dad last night. The EA actually phoned him a couple of hours after yesterday's group viewing and asked if he wanted to place an offer! You'd think they'd realise (having the same surname as me) that he's a relative! The reason they had his info on file is because he expressed interest for yesterday's group viewing but then went along the day before (Sunday) with my wife instead.

So, as expected they are trying to get a bidding war started. When we sold our house, we sold to the first person who offered the asking price. If you've achieved what you wanted then why would you start playing people off against each other for a couple of extra grand....
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 11th Oct 16, 8:05 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    copperjar
    It might not be that they want to start a bidding war Kilby. When I offered on a house (not the one we eventually got!) the EA told me he would ring the other people that had viewed to tell them there was an offer and ask if they wanted to make one as well. He told me he would always do that out of fairness and would do the same if I was the vendor. I didn't take it that he wanted to start a bidding war but was confident that 1) people don't usually wait before making an offer so I was the only one and 2) if a higher offer did come in later the EA would let me know!

I think you're in a strong position. They have had a lot of interest but only one offer. Probably just wanted to see if any other viewers were interested but it sounds like they're not. I think they will accept your bid!
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 11th Oct 16, 9:57 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 4,567 Thanks
    MeandO
    Hope things work out in yout favour Kilby, let us know how you get on. It is so frustrating and stressful isn't it.

Well, my sale and purchase is still going through. The survey on the one I'm buying is booked for Friday, so I'm hoping nothing too negative comes back on that.

Like many of you, absolutely nothing has come onto the market since I decided to go ahead with this one, so I feel a little better about it, I was convinced ten of my dream homes would pop up as soon as I'd comitted to this house!
    Debt Free
    Mortgage at 24/11/2016: £97,000
    Mortgage now: £87,886.42

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 11th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    kilby_007
    It might not be that they want to start a bidding war Kilby. When I offered on a house (not the one we eventually got!) the EA told me he would ring the other people that had viewed to tell them there was an offer and ask if they wanted to make one as well. He told me he would always do that out of fairness and would do the same if I was the vendor. I didn't take it that he wanted to start a bidding war but was confident that 1) people don't usually wait before making an offer so I was the only one and 2) if a higher offer did come in later the EA would let me know!

I think you're in a strong position. They have had a lot of interest but only one offer. Probably just wanted to see if any other viewers were interested but it sounds like they're not. I think they will accept your bid!

Yeah you've got to expect the EA to collect the offers, I get that. I just hope that they now they have achieved their asking price they choose whoever is in the strongest position and go with it rather than trying to get people to outbid each other, but I know that is probably wishful thinking on my part.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 11th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    kilby_007
    Hope things work out in yout favour Kilby, let us know how you get on. It is so frustrating and stressful isn't it.

Well, my sale and purchase is still going through. The survey on the one I'm buying is booked for Friday, so I'm hoping nothing too negative comes back on that.

Like many of you, absolutely nothing has come onto the market since I decided to go ahead with this one, so I feel a little better about it, I was convinced ten of my dream homes would pop up as soon as I'd comitted to this house!
    Originally posted by MeandO

Yep! Super stressful! It's not like we're new to this, but this is the first time we've offered asking price and I expected things to be wrapped up quicker than this. I'm just keeping myself busy at work at the moment to keep my mind off it!

Fingers crossed for your survey! There's so many stressful moments with house buying isn't there! It must be satisfying for you to know that nothing else has cropped up that you like whilst your purchase is going through, you've made the best choice at that moment in time where you needed to buy, and that's all you can do, so congrats :-)
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 11th Oct 16, 11:11 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    kilby_007
    Well, the EA came back to us. Another higher offer is now on the table. We offered 5K more but they said it's still higher and a cash offer, so we've backed out. :-( I just want to cry now, we've been looking for a year and that's the only house that's been right for us within budget.
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 11th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 3,317 Posts
    • 3,669 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    Well, the EA came back to us. Another higher offer is now on the table. We offered 5K more but they said it's still higher and a cash offer, so we've backed out. :-( I just want to cry now, we've been looking for a year and that's the only house that's been right for us within budget.
    Originally posted by kilby_007
    Oh no, I'm gutted for you. The problem is that there is so little coming on the market that when it does, there is a bidding war. It was obviously priced to sell and therefore went for above asking.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 11th Oct 16, 1:03 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 4,567 Thanks
    MeandO

Sorry to hear that Kilby. Really hope something amazing comes up for you soon.
    x
    Debt Free
    Mortgage at 24/11/2016: £97,000
    Mortgage now: £87,886.42

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 11th Oct 16, 2:11 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    copperjar
    Really sorry Kilby. Gutting for you. Hope something comes up soon that is even better. Hang in there!
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 11th Oct 16, 2:20 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    kilby_007
    I don't feel like it will! We sold up a year ago, saved to get a decent deposit and rented so we didn't have a chain, yet we still get railroaded on price! I'm really hoping there's a decent price correction going into next year. There's another property we've seen with similar renovation potential but is nowhere near as good (less parking, smaller garden) and is 100K more (325K). 6 months on the market and they still haven't twigged that they're being ridiculous...
    • startingout2016
    • By startingout2016 11th Oct 16, 2:27 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    startingout2016
    We are still waiting. We have been searching since beginning of august and offered on a few places. Last house we offered on we offered £10k under asking and they are still holding out for asking price and rejected our offer(its still not sold).

We are having a baby next year so starting to panic
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 11th Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 9,985 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Aww sorry to hear that, Kilby! Have you tried leafleting? Has worked for people on here before. (May have missed it - the thread's long!)

Jx
    2016 wins: ESPA gift set; jumper; lip balm x 2; kitchen scales; perfume; shoes; theatre tickets; Champagne; books; After Eights; Diet Coke; Molton Brown duo; fish slice; travel set
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 11th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    copperjar
    I don't feel like it will! We sold up a year ago, saved to get a decent deposit and rented so we didn't have a chain, yet we still get railroaded on price! I'm really hoping there's a decent price correction going into next year. There's another property we've seen with similar renovation potential but is nowhere near as good (less parking, smaller garden) and is 100K more (325K). 6 months on the market and they still haven't twigged that they're being ridiculous...
    I know what you mean. Some of the pricing is way off. A house we offered on which was rejected outright has been reduced and still on market...and still over priced!

Sometimes you just need a bit of luck. The one we are buying we nearly didn't view. Was out of price range and looked like it needed a lot of work doing. Terrible pictures, kitchen looked tiny, lounge/diner which we didn't want. But we made ourselves because getting desperate.

Are there any in your area/price range that you haven't viewed yet but could give a try?
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 11th Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    kilby_007
    I know what you mean. Some of the pricing is way off. A house we offered on which was rejected outright has been reduced and still on market...and still over priced!

Sometimes you just need a bit of luck. The one we are buying we nearly didn't view. Was out of price range and looked like it needed a lot of work doing. Terrible pictures, kitchen looked tiny, lounge/diner which we didn't want. But we made ourselves because getting desperate.

Are there any in your area/price range that you haven't viewed yet but could give a try?
    We've got a fairly rigid set of criteria (we're Kirsty & Phil's worst nightmare) so we're quite limited. Whenever a property comes up I check things in the following order:-

1) Check the area - we are looking at 4 quite specific areas in the catchment of good schools and near to the villages, so this further reduces the pool of properties.

2) Satellite view - how big is the garden in relation to the house - is there potential to expand and still have a good sized garden, workshop and greenhouse?

3) Floorplan - is it workable? We saw a property last month where the photos looked lovely but the floorplan was contrary (triangle and 'L' shaped rooms and botched extensions) so we knew it was a write off (although as we were desperate we did view it, just confirmed our thoughts!)

4) Value for money - taking the above into account.

5) Flood risk. This was the subject of considerable research with our most recent viewing.

6) Photos - quite low down on the list and we take very little notice of them because they can be vastly misleading (wide angle lenses allow you to see the whole room or garden but also make them look astronomically large!) but sometimes careful scrutinisation will flag up something major which you can then check out when viewing.

Ultimately the satellite view rules out an awful lot of houses for us due to the plot size which is why it's so high up on my list when searching. To answer your question, there's a couple of properties that fall into the "maybe" category that we could go and see, but they are vastly overpriced and in need of renovation, so it feels like a pointless exercise because we'd need them to come down 15-20% to make them worth the effort.
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 11th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    copperjar
    Well at least you are very clear on what you want. Are there any compromises at all in that list? Location? Size of plot? We've ended up staying in the same village we are in now which was a no go for me at first! But the house was worth the compromise in the end.

I guess you never know what situation the vendors are in. Could view and try a low bid if you genuinely think over priced. We offered £17k less on the house we have bought and got it for £15k under. Similar price range to you I think. I do wonder if we could have gone in and secured it even lower once I found out the couple had separated and were desperate for a quick sale.

Maybe it's worth a go? They can only say no.
    • sukavi2011
    • By sukavi2011 11th Oct 16, 10:29 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    sukavi2011
    Hi all, glad I found this thread, tho not had chance to read all replies. I am a first time seller after 30 yrs in same property and doing it alone. I accepted offer on house at end Sept and I am struggling to find anything I like. I thought I was taking too long but reading some of the posts it seems Im not.. Can it really take many months to find new place without EA or buyer getting annoyed as long as i keep them informed? Its taken me best part of 3 weeks completing and sorting forms for the solicitor, which I intend to send back this week, but I was/am on verge of backing out because nothing out there for me. Never been in this situation before and I think I am worrying too much.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 11th Oct 16, 10:36 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    kilby_007
    Well at least you are very clear on what you want. Are there any compromises at all in that list? Location? Size of plot? We've ended up staying in the same village we are in now which was a no go for me at first! But the house was worth the compromise in the end.

I guess you never know what situation the vendors are in. Could view and try a low bid if you genuinely think over priced. We offered £17k less on the house we have bought and got it for £15k under. Similar price range to you I think. I do wonder if we could have gone in and secured it even lower once I found out the couple had separated and were desperate for a quick sale.

Maybe it's worth a go? They can only say no.
    Honestly I think it's a waste of time. We're talking houses that need renovating asking around the 300k mark. We'd have to be talking 40K off their asking price to make it viable. There's a reason they've been on the market for months or years, and until they entertain the idea of re-pricing I think it's pointless trying, but I might just call the EA and see if they're thinking of repricing.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 11th Oct 16, 10:38 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    kilby_007
    Hi all, glad I found this thread, tho not had chance to read all replies. I am a first time seller after 30 yrs in same property and doing it alone. I accepted offer on house at end Sept and I am struggling to find anything I like. I thought I was taking too long but reading some of the posts it seems Im not.. Can it really take many months to find new place without EA or buyer getting annoyed as long as i keep them informed? Its taken me best part of 3 weeks completing and sorting forms for the solicitor, which I intend to send back this week, but I was/am on verge of backing out because nothing out there for me. Never been in this situation before and I think I am worrying too much.
    Originally posted by sukavi2011
    It's a stressful time. We tried and failed to find somewhere so ended up renting. 1 year in Nov since we started looking!
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 11th Oct 16, 11:01 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    copperjar
    Honestly I think it's a waste of time. We're talking houses that need renovating asking around the 300k mark. We'd have to be talking 40K off their asking price to make it viable. There's a reason they've been on the market for months or years, and until they entertain the idea of re-pricing I think it's pointless trying, but I might just call the EA and see if they're thinking of repricing.
    Frustrating to see houses just sat there over priced. Might be worth a chat with the EA like you say. I really feel for you. I think 10% over your best price is definitely worth looking at.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,154Posts Today

5,924Users online

Martin's Twitter