Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    • 821Posts
    • 1,817Thanks
    copperjar
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?
    • 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy? 15th Aug 16 at 2:29 PM
    It seems there are a lot of threads from people waiting to sell, get mortgage, an exchange date, new builds etc, but none from people looking to find their dream house, which is no less stressful!

We've been provisionally looking since March/April time and haven't really seen anything but thought we'd get our house on the market anyway and that would push us in the right direction. Got an offer on the house 2 days after it going on the market which we accepted, on the proviso that we'd be given some time to find somewhere. End of Sept was suggested as a reasonable timescale. But we are still no further to finding anywhere at all!

Starting to get pretty stressed and tetchy now! Don't really want to go into rented and it feels like the clock is ticking. Starting to get letters from the solicitor which is worrying me (he knows about us not having anywhere yet) and I'm feeling pressured even though no pressure is being applied!

My experience of estate agents isn't great either. They must be the only customer service industry in the country that won't work outside of office hours and I get most phone calls and effort put in from them trying to get me to speak to their financial advisors! I just want to get a house!! Argh

I know I'm probably in a very good position but it doesn't feel that way right now. Market is so slow, just want a flurry of new houses to come up in September!
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £5523.53/£6000
Page 10
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 29th Sep 16, 9:05 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    copperjar
    Fingers crossed 9ja4life!!
    • indianabones
    • By indianabones 30th Sep 16, 9:21 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    indianabones
    So I've found one house I really really like. Decent road and area, good location in terms of access to shopping centres and the motorway. Reasonably priced as well, but the downside, needs complete modernisation, absolutely everything from bath, kitchen to the electrics and pipeworks.

On the market at £179,950, I managed to get the previous offers they declined and have put my offer of £172k in. Happy to go up to £178k if needs be.

I also have made some silly offers on other houses but have been rejected.
    • psychological
    • By psychological 30th Sep 16, 11:40 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    psychological
    We went to see another property today, which initially looked promising. The price at 325K is right at the top end of our budget and needs redecorating & new carpets throughout, new kitchen and bathroom and some general maintenance including re-landscaping the garden. We have budgeted for all that and reckon we can do it for 10-15K, doing most of the work ourselves (except carpets).

Problem is, the garden which looked HUGE on the photos (the house is barely visable in the distance) in reality is unimpressive. It was around 1/3 of the length I thought it was! This would mean that with an extension and a workshop we would hardly have any garden left. I understand that you have to make compromises when house hunting, and garden size might have to be one of those, but it leaves us questioning why we want this house when you can buy an (almost) new-build 3-story house on the next estate for around the same price that wouldn't need any work. The plot is quite a bit bigger than the new builds although the house itself is smaller. You seem to pay a lot for (very little) extra land these days...

The estate agent told us that a previous buyer had a survey which found that the concrete floors had suffered sulphate attack. The buyer wanted 35K knocked off the price but the vendor instead got the work done herself for 8K. The buyer backed out anyway, hence it's back on the market. Unless they're willing to take around 290K I think this one's a non-starter. I can't see them dropping down 12% but you never know, might be worth a try (or wait for them to reduce and then negotiate).
    Originally posted by kilby_007
    How did you get on with this one Kilby?

We almost settled on a property that we thought was perfect, after several further viewings we found a house twice the size, with bigger garden etc and nothing to be done.

Definitely pays to be patient and thorough.
    • Newbie29#
    • By Newbie29# 30th Sep 16, 12:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Newbie29#
    We are in the process of waiting for completion with Miller homes for our new build. Contracts were recently exchanged. They had promised us a pre-plaster meeting which didn't happen and was only brought to light after we insisted on seeing the house at least from outside. It was then seen from the windows that the plaster was done. They apologized n have arranged a visit for us to go in and see the house.

Does anyone have any tips as to what questions to ask and what to look out for as this is the first time we will see our house from inside and I don't know yet how much of it is done from inside apart from the plastering.
    Thanks
    • indianabones
    • By indianabones 30th Sep 16, 3:53 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    indianabones
    Offer accepted, woohoo, lawyer instruct and expecting a call from the mortgage guy tomorrow first thing.
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 30th Sep 16, 6:08 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    copperjar
    Offer accepted, woohoo, lawyer instruct and expecting a call from the mortgage guy tomorrow first thing.
    Originally posted by indianabones
    Woohoo! Fab news, well done! Ours doesn't need total remodernisation but does need new kitchen and bathrooms. I'm finding that part pretty exciting to be honest - time to get those home design magazines ordered for you!
    • indianabones
    • By indianabones 1st Oct 16, 6:16 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    indianabones
    I've got the mortgage and the legal side of things sorted before I can focus on what I'll do with the house. At the end of all this I'll have about 13-15k to do as much as I can with the house.

I'm hoping I can get the chimney breasts both floors, front and back removed for about 3.5k. The full electrics and gas to be done for about 7k, still researching. That leaves me with 4k for a nice bathroom. I've decided that the kitchen will be the last thing that I fix up.

Exciting times ahead.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 3rd Oct 16, 1:21 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    kilby_007
    How did you get on with this one Kilby?

We almost settled on a property that we thought was perfect, after several further viewings we found a house twice the size, with bigger garden etc and nothing to be done.

Definitely pays to be patient and thorough.
    Originally posted by psychological
    We haven't given feedback yet, but I might mention that we could buy more for the money and see if they reduce it. We're still waiting for the market to pick up again I guess! There's been nothing noteworthy for a good few weeks now so just going to stop refreshing RM every 10 seconds and forget about it for a little while!

The next 6 months might be quite volatile from an economic standpoint. Deutsche Bank, Brexit, Credit Suisse, U.S. elections and HTB changes, etc so I'm interested to see how it might affect interest rates, lending and house prices.
    • Sue S
    • By Sue S 3rd Oct 16, 9:37 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    Sue S
    We're going up to Cromer on Wednesday and I'd made a list of the (very few) houses I wanted to see - none of them perfect but worth looking at. Anyway, the one at the top of the list which has been on the market since April got withdrawn today!!! I think it's a sign...
    • elonii
    • By elonii 3rd Oct 16, 12:39 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    elonii
    I've been lurking on here, so I'll join in on this thread. We have been house hunting for 18 months with no success. We have returned home to the area my family live in from Australia. Our issue is we need space for two work at home offices as well as sufficient bedrooms for us and our two children. The market here in SW Scotland is quiet so there's not a lot on to choose from. We are living in a cold, damp, too small house and it's getting wearing. We aren't earning good interest on our deposit either. Sigh.

We are now widening the net and looking at alternate areas. Re-Emigrating is also starting to look good, but lets not get too carried away just because our return hasn't gone 100% to plan!!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 3rd Oct 16, 3:33 PM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 9,982 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Seen a house we want - and are prepared to come out of mortgage deal. But the timing is a bit rubbish and I feel sick at the thought of leaving our home and moving!

Also got things to do to the house before selling so am now worrying the house we want will go, and that we won't get the price/valuation we're hoping for and won't afford it anyway.

ARGHHHH!

Jx
    2016 wins: ESPA gift set; jumper; lip balm x 2; kitchen scales; perfume; shoes; theatre tickets; Champagne; books; After Eights; Diet Coke; Molton Brown duo; fish slice; travel set
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 7th Oct 16, 7:00 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    copperjar
    Any updates Hazyjo?

How is everyone else getting on?

The market still seems so slow! Still have alerts coming through on phone (need to stop them!) but literally nothing else of interest has come up since we offered on the one we're buying. So happy we managed to get it.
    • psychological
    • By psychological 7th Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    psychological
    Any updates Hazyjo?

The market still seems so slow! Still have alerts coming through on phone (need to stop them!) but literally nothing else of interest has come up since we offered on the one we're buying. So happy we managed to get it.
    Originally posted by copperjar
    hi Copperjar, nice to hear from you. So glad you found the right place, and are free from buyers remorse. I shouldn't, but have been checking RM a few times to see if anything else comes up - so far so good though.

From our side, mortgage offer now issued so it's a waiting game for the solicitors. Still nervous but several steps through the process now so fewer (touch wood) things to go wrong.
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 9th Oct 16, 8:15 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    copperjar
    Good to see things progressing with you psychological! its still a stressful business even when things seem to be running smoothly isn't it?

I look on RM as well - habit more than anything! If this house we're buying hadn't come up, I do think we would probably have had to cancel the sale. The post summer boom hasnt happened here. Do feel guilty thinking about that!

Our mortgage offer came in on Friday. The sale is almost there I think, answered a few questions on Wednesday and have had to chase up the guy that fitted the new boiler earlier in the year for a buildings reg certificate (and still waiting!) but otherwise all okay. Looks like I will have to pay for some indemnity insurance though. Reading about it, I can see it being the next PPI type scandal. Seems to be a recent thing that solicitors are really pushing.

The purchase is slower though. Had the survey done, have paid for searches but my solicitor says she's has had nothing back from the seller at all. No communication - for someone supposedly wanting a quick sale I'm a little bit worried! The vendor has split up from his wife (hence the sale) and the legal practice she works for is dealing with the conveyancing, so I can't understand the delay!
    Last edited by copperjar; 09-10-2016 at 8:18 AM.
    • Levs01
    • By Levs01 9th Oct 16, 9:38 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Levs01
    Good to see things progressing with you psychological! its still a stressful business even when things seem to be running smoothly isn't it?

I look on RM as well - habit more than anything! If this house we're buying hadn't come up, I do think we would probably have had to cancel the sale. The post summer boom hasnt happened here. Do feel guilty thinking about that!

Our mortgage offer came in on Friday. The sale is almost there I think, answered a few questions on Wednesday and have had to chase up the guy that fitted the new boiler earlier in the year for a buildings reg certificate (and still waiting!) but otherwise all okay. Looks like I will have to pay for some indemnity insurance though. Reading about it, I can see it being the next PPI type scandal. Seems to be a recent thing that solicitors are really pushing.

The purchase is slower though. Had the survey done, have paid for searches but my solicitor says she's has had nothing back from the seller at all. No communication - for someone supposedly wanting a quick sale I'm a little bit worried! The vendor has split up from his wife (hence the sale) and the legal practice she works for is dealing with the conveyancing, so I can't understand the delay!
    Phone gas safe directly for the certificate. I only had the install date (on sticker on boiler) and they supplied me with a copy of my regs cert. It was £6 but worth it to make sure I had it (blooming fensa wanted £20 PER CERTIFICATE and I had two to get)
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 9th Oct 16, 11:35 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    copperjar
    Phone gas safe directly for the certificate. I only had the install date (on sticker on boiler) and they supplied me with a copy of my regs cert. It was £6 but worth it to make sure I had it (blooming fensa wanted £20 PER CERTIFICATE and I had two to get)
    Originally posted by Levs01
    Thank you! Wouldn't have known to do that so you might have saved me some grief! The boiler installer has been pretty rubbish with warranties and the like, didnt hold out much hope for him getting this sorted for me. Thanks again
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 10th Oct 16, 12:37 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    kilby_007
    So we've seen a house that we actually want to buy!!!! Don't want to jinx it, but we think it's "the one". It went up for sale on Friday and there were several viewings booked in over the weekend and for today/tomorrow which is unusual for this area as houses tend to take months to sell. It's definitely been priced very reasonably provided there's no issues with it.

The house needs a full refurb but has potential far above any other house we've seen in that area for that sort of money, and I reckon even after the refurb we would have saved VS buying the same house already renovated, so we've offered the asking price today. My dad buys a lot of houses in the area and thinks it will sell straight away so we put forward our offer this morning with DIP and proof of deposit, but they're now playing games. We don't have a chain behind us so barring cash buyers, I think we should be the best option for them but this afternoon we know for a fact there is a group viewing at 1PM (so in about half an hour). The EA said they would get straight back to us this morning but they haven't, so it's obvious they're holding out for other offers.

What would you guys do in this situation? We don't want to appear desperate but we don't want to get gazumped either!
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 10th Oct 16, 12:48 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    kilby_007
    Too late, my wife called them and they've spoken to the vendor's wife apparently but she's not dealing with the sale and can't get hold of her husband. Delay tactics...?
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 10th Oct 16, 2:43 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    copperjar
    Too late, my wife called them and they've spoken to the vendor's wife apparently but she's not dealing with the sale and can't get hold of her husband. Delay tactics...?
    Originally posted by kilby_007
    I would imagine the EA will get back to you even if they get another offer on the house. So hold your nerve, you have made your offer and now is the awful waiting period! Good luck!!!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 10th Oct 16, 4:27 PM
    • 8,231 Posts
    • 9,982 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Any updates Hazyjo?

THANKFULLY the market has slowed in Leigh-on-Sea. None of the four houses I like have gone yet - although we do definitely still want that particular one. It's perfect for us.

Getting our front fence replaced before getting house valued. The quickest they could do that is 19 October! OMG ages away - I'm tempted to get it valued anyway. I don't want to lose it :/ Oh well, what's meant to be and all that...

Good luck all! Stressy isn't it lol.

Jx
    2016 wins: ESPA gift set; jumper; lip balm x 2; kitchen scales; perfume; shoes; theatre tickets; Champagne; books; After Eights; Diet Coke; Molton Brown duo; fish slice; travel set
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,294Posts Today

6,541Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted to see the House of Lords taking up to cudgels to fight the disgraceful retrospective hike in student loa? https://t.co/buXWSlgXoj

• RT @politicshome: Cabinet splits on foreign students re-emerge as Amber Rudd admits there are 'differing views' https://t.co/XYivypL5Cc htt?

• For me capping the number of legitimate foreign Uni students is a mistake. Its one of our strong exports & boosts UK soft power around world

• Follow Martin