Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Aug 16, 8:23 PM
    • 20,440Posts
    • 40,311Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Are you getting enough?
    • 14th Aug 16, 8:23 PM
    Are you getting enough? 14th Aug 16 at 8:23 PM
    Five-a-day, that is.

I have been reviewing my previously appalling eating habits over recent months, and having beaten my sugar addiction am now moving onto the next stage: to increase my vegetable consumption.

I know the 5 is a figure plucked out of the air by the great and the good of the scientific community and not an evidence-based target to aim for. However I also acknowledge I have previously relied on the over-consumption of fruit to kid myself I am being healthy so there must be a balance somewhere! So what I am now trying to do is eat at least 3:2 or 4:1 or 5:0 a day, in favour of veggies. Anyone care to join me?

These are zee rules:

- the higher the overall count the better, but at least try to have 2 more portions of veg than fruit, eg 6:4, or 7:5. Bear this in mind and there really won't be much room for more fruit after eating a load of vegetables!
    - potatoes, bananas and the like are not fruit and veg: they are starchy foods
    - smoothies don't count, nor do fruit juices. These are cheats!
    - I count mushrooms as a protein, but that is not a bad thing so eat freely (unless your name is Claudius and you happened to be born on 1st August 10 BC )
    - vegetable-based soups do contribute to the tally, upto a max of 3 portions (2 if smooth)
    - tropical fruits are high sugar and to be avoided. Max one portion a day unless counterbalanced with an extra serving of veg.
    - fruit and vegetable by-products, such as wine and jam don't count
    - condiments such as pickles and hummus are nice added extras but not actual vegetable portions.

Post your daily count here, but be honest with yourself!

Today I just about made 5 in total: 2 servings of vegetables in the form of spinach, leek and carrot sticks, plus an apple and 2 small nectarines making a 3:2 day.

As I say, wine and crisps don't count
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 17
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 9th Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 7,574 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Yestersay seems like a long time ago...

Lunch: soup (1)
    Dinner: rice, chicken, sweet and sour sauce (sugar free) and a token salad which wouldn't even rate 1 portion of anything. I also had a banana and apple (1) at some stage.

Yesterday's totals: 1:1.
    I walk around like everything is fine, but deep down, inside my shoe, my sock is sliding off.
    • burtha
    • By burtha 9th Oct 16, 8:03 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    burtha
    So far today , apple,fig and a bowl of veg soup
    So 2 fruit , 1 veg

May eat a bit later on ..
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 9th Oct 16, 8:15 PM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 7,574 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Roasted bns soup(1) for lunch which I'm counting as a veg. I'm really not a fan but they were part of Aldi's super 6 so I felt it would be rude not to get them.

Dinner was chili con carne(2), packed full of veg, with a mountain of veg on the side - peas, sweetcorn, cabbage and broccoli(3).

I also had an orange and a banana earlier.

Totals: 6:1.
    I walk around like everything is fine, but deep down, inside my shoe, my sock is sliding off.
    • burtha
    • By burtha 9th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    burtha
    Added in some plain cottage cheese and a load of celery
    So ended up with 2 f and 2 veg
    and maybe a bit calcium from the cheese
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Oct 16, 9:08 PM
    • 20,440 Posts
    • 40,311 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Yesterday 2:4.5. Today 1:5.

Getting some veg these days but still not enough. I'll buy some tomorrow.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 10th Oct 16, 10:28 PM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 7,574 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Ugh Monday... and it felt like Monday all day.

I had a banana and the rest of the bns soup(1) for lunch (I have now decided I really don't like it at all) and lots of chili(2) and veg(2) for dinner.

Today's totals: 5:0.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 11th Oct 16, 2:06 PM
    • 11,537 Posts
    • 208,219 Thanks
    greenbee
    starting to get back on track. Scrambled egg, tomatoes (1) on toast for breakfast; courgette salad (2) and carrot and lentil soup (4) for lunch. Have a cauli that needs using up, so need to do something with that for supper.
    • burtha
    • By burtha 11th Oct 16, 9:25 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    burtha
    Hi all,
    Yesterday was a flatbread ,with courgette,mushrooms,spinach and red onion , odd but busy day ....
    So 0 fruit 4 veg

Today, Banana,plum,grapes then posh veggie pizza with" bistro" salad with spiralled carrot and beetroot ( Ys bargain) plus extra spinach
    So 3 f and 4 veg
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Oct 16, 12:44 AM
    • 20,440 Posts
    • 40,311 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I set out my f&v for consumption this morning....and ended up eating a miserable 1:2.

• splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 12th Oct 16, 7:01 AM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 7,574 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Yesterday I had chili (2) for lunch with small salad (2) of tomatoes and cucumber. I had a Waldorf salad (3) for supper.

Yesterday's totals: 5:2.
    • burtha
    • By burtha 12th Oct 16, 11:57 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    burtha
    Good day today ,
    Banana, grapes,apple
    3 sesame crispbreads with spinach,tomato and little cheese thing
    Home made egg rice ,with peas,sweetcorn,peppers,red onion with the remaining bistro salad
    So 3 fruit , at least 4 large potions of veg

Need to decrease my carb intake , any ideas ?
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 13th Oct 16, 12:29 AM
    • 11,537 Posts
    • 208,219 Thanks
    greenbee
    Banana and mango smoothie (1), carrot and lentil soup (3), roast veg (BNS, red, yellow and orange peppers, onion, courgette, beetroot) and baked cod (6)
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 13th Oct 16, 6:51 AM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 7,574 Thanks
    splishsplash
    I had white bread and butter with apple and banana for lunch yesterday; falafel burgers, fried eggs, rice and veg - carrots, parsnips and peas.

Totals yesterday: 4:2
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Oct 16, 11:25 PM
    • 20,440 Posts
    • 40,311 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Yesterday 0:3; today 0 full stop

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 13th Oct 16, 11:35 PM
    • 11,537 Posts
    • 208,219 Thanks
    greenbee
    Banana, mango and watermelon smoothie (1), watermelon, cucumber and feta salad (3), green soup (5), moussaka (6), baked tomatoes (7) and broad beans (8).

Back to normal

Oh... And fermented grape juice
    • burtha
    • By burtha 14th Oct 16, 12:23 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    burtha
    Apple grapes banana,
    Very large mixed salad for supper with at least 7 portions of veg in , peppers spinach tomato radish mushrooms spring onions celery carrot
    Today's downfall was an onion bagel with a pkt of crisps
    So 3 fruit 7 veg
    Even forced myself to eat a yogurt , discussing stuff ,but know I haven't had any calcium I days ....
    Diet /lifestyle is still under review lol
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 14th Oct 16, 8:26 AM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 7,574 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Salad for lunch yesterday (5) lettuce, tomato, spring onion, cucumber, carrot, sweetcorn, pine nuts and vinaigrette.
    Slow-cooked pork chops in hm sugarfree bbq sauce with rice, peas and beans (2).

Yesterday's totals: 7:0

ETA: I'm always struck by how MUCH I eat compared with everyone else... and this is me having cut out the bucketfuls of rubbish like chocolate, crisps, sweets etc that I used to have very regularly .
    Last edited by splishsplash; 14-10-2016 at 8:34 AM.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Oct 16, 8:50 AM
    • 11,537 Posts
    • 208,219 Thanks
    greenbee
    I don't think you're eating much more than the rest of us splishsplash... and you can't judge quantities on here

Besides better to be eating lots and lots of veg rather than all the rubbish. Which I've managed to avoid for about 2 days...
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 14th Oct 16, 10:30 PM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 7,574 Thanks
    splishsplash
    This is true - I am eating a much cleaner diet, comparatively speaking. Now I just need to eat less of it

Egg fried rice for lunch with peas and sweetcorn plus a small salad (4). Gluten free peanut and banana muffin for supper with an actual banana.

Totals: 4:0
    • gilly1964
    • By gilly1964 15th Oct 16, 12:52 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 6,635 Thanks
    gilly1964
    Salad for lunch yesterday (5) lettuce, tomato, spring onion, cucumber, carrot, sweetcorn, pine nuts and vinaigrette.
    Slow-cooked pork chops in hm sugarfree bbq sauce with rice, peas and beans (2).

Yesterday's totals: 7:0

ETA: I'm always struck by how MUCH I eat compared with everyone else... and this is me having cut out the bucketfuls of rubbish like chocolate, crisps, sweets etc that I used to have very regularly .
    Originally posted by splishsplash

Hi I would say your lunch could only be two portions at most, as a portion of veg is 80 grams
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

731Posts Today

5,708Users online

Martin's Twitter