Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Aug 16, 8:23 PM
    • 20,394Posts
    • 40,203Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Are you getting enough?
    • 14th Aug 16, 8:23 PM
    Are you getting enough? 14th Aug 16 at 8:23 PM
    Five-a-day, that is.

I have been reviewing my previously appalling eating habits over recent months, and having beaten my sugar addiction am now moving onto the next stage: to increase my vegetable consumption.

I know the 5 is a figure plucked out of the air by the great and the good of the scientific community and not an evidence-based target to aim for. However I also acknowledge I have previously relied on the over-consumption of fruit to kid myself I am being healthy so there must be a balance somewhere! So what I am now trying to do is eat at least 3:2 or 4:1 or 5:0 a day, in favour of veggies. Anyone care to join me?

These are zee rules:

- the higher the overall count the better, but at least try to have 2 more portions of veg than fruit, eg 6:4, or 7:5. Bear this in mind and there really won't be much room for more fruit after eating a load of vegetables!
    - potatoes, bananas and the like are not fruit and veg: they are starchy foods
    - smoothies don't count, nor do fruit juices. These are cheats!
    - I count mushrooms as a protein, but that is not a bad thing so eat freely (unless your name is Claudius and you happened to be born on 1st August 10 BC )
    - vegetable-based soups do contribute to the tally, upto a max of 3 portions (2 if smooth)
    - tropical fruits are high sugar and to be avoided. Max one portion a day unless counterbalanced with an extra serving of veg.
    - fruit and vegetable by-products, such as wine and jam don't count
    - condiments such as pickles and hummus are nice added extras but not actual vegetable portions.

Post your daily count here, but be honest with yourself!

Today I just about made 5 in total: 2 servings of vegetables in the form of spinach, leek and carrot sticks, plus an apple and 2 small nectarines making a 3:2 day.

As I say, wine and crisps don't count
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 16
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 3rd Oct 16, 7:25 AM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 7,568 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Yesterday I had soup (1) and salad for lunch - lettuce, tomatoes, beetroot, grated carrot, spring onion(4). For dinner I had steak in bbq sauce with wedges, cabbage and turnip(2). I had a banana at some point also, along with a portion of stewed prunes (1).

Totals for yesterday: 7:1
    I walk around like everything is fine, but deep down, inside my shoe, my sock is sliding off.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 3rd Oct 16, 7:32 AM
    • 11,535 Posts
    • 208,150 Thanks
    greenbee
    avocado on toast (1), carrot and coriander soup (2), aubergine curry (3). And a lot of crap I shouldn't have eaten. followed by a fig (4).

Hopefully I'll start to do better...
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Oct 16, 7:49 AM
    • 20,394 Posts
    • 40,203 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Hmm, avacoado is something I haven't included - have grouped it with fats. Nuts I consider to be proteins.

I started this thread to encourage myself to eat a bit more green stuff, and in fairness, I have! But it's made me realise that since I quit sugar my diet is not horrendous. (It's still far from perfect, but I'm getting there with your support!).

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 3rd Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 7,568 Thanks
    splishsplash
    I had soup (1) for lunch.
    This evening I had mushrooms (.5) stuffed with garlic, spring onion, sundried tomatoes (1), walnuts, courgette (.5), cream cheese, breadcrumbs and topped with mozzarella and cheddar. I also had a 330g portion of ratatouille (4) and a large helping of cabbage(1) tossed in tahini.

As the oven was on, I made some white soda bread. It was so nice I had some while it was still warm with butter and honey.

Totals today: 8:0
    I walk around like everything is fine, but deep down, inside my shoe, my sock is sliding off.
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 5th Oct 16, 5:37 AM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 7,568 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Yesterday I had the rest of the mushrooms for lunch (2), soup (1) and bread for supper.

Totals yesterday 3:0.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Oct 16, 8:20 AM
    • 20,394 Posts
    • 40,203 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Getting back on track again now. Yesterday was 2:4.5, the day before 3.5:3.5. Cutting out on the wheaty-carbs has been hugely beneficial

I'm planning 4:5 today (for practical reasons, I want to use this up!), we shall see....

I should add, has anyone tried pineapple in Greek yoghurt? De-lish!
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 05-10-2016 at 8:23 AM.

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 5th Oct 16, 11:26 AM
    • 11,535 Posts
    • 208,150 Thanks
    greenbee
    Still not back on track. I appear to be on a toast-based diet. Although I am putting avocado or tomatoes on it occasionally.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Oct 16, 2:05 PM
    • 20,394 Posts
    • 40,203 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Still not back on track. I appear to be on a toast-based diet. Although I am putting avocado or tomatoes on it occasionally.
    Originally posted by greenbee
    Sister, I have been there

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 5th Oct 16, 2:22 PM
    • 11,535 Posts
    • 208,150 Thanks
    greenbee
    I've finished the bread now. (although there is more inthe freezer) So maybe things will improve...
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 6th Oct 16, 5:21 AM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 7,568 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Lunch yesterday was stuffed cabbage rolls (1) and for dinner I had poached fish on ratatouille (4) and cabbage tossed in tahini. Snacks were banana and apple.

Totals yesterday: 5:1.
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 6th Oct 16, 7:13 PM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 7,568 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Soup for lunch today (1) followed by a banana; falafel burgers (1) tonight with ratatouille 350g (4) and cabbage tossed in tahini dressing (1). I will have an orange and a handful of roasted hazelnuts in a bit.

Totals today: 7:1.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 6th Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    • 5,419 Posts
    • 36,151 Thanks
    Caterina
    Hello, I desperately want to have a diet based on lots of veg, not much fruit (just occasional treats), low-ish in grainy carbs and predominantly vegetarian! AND BOOZE-FREE!

But no matter how many times I try to give up sugar (the worst culprit), I keep falling back. At the moment, on holiday in Spain, no kitchen so only limited healthy choices (I would buy salary bits to eat in the room all the time but DH prefers a few meals out - he eats fish so he's ok), eating more chips that's good for me, and ice creams.

As soon as I get back home I am committing to this group, to get inspiration!
    No challenges for December.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th Oct 16, 8:19 PM
    • 20,394 Posts
    • 40,203 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Had another day of eating v little, 1:1.5 at a push, veggies are languishing in the fridge.

• burtha
    • By burtha 7th Oct 16, 12:10 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    burtha
    Hi all , the last few days my diet has been ,bananas , grapes,nectarine,plums,figs,apple,spinach,mushroom s,tomato,peppers,garlic,sweetcorn, fruit as snacks, veg as soup , or raw in a wholemeal bun, downside was 1 pkt of crisps , do a calorie count each day , so ended up eating a mini baby bell light yesterday and today to try an bring in to a 1000, and give me some calcium , need to improve my iron levels ,way short of target to ...
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Oct 16, 6:17 AM
    • 20,394 Posts
    • 40,203 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I wouldn't berate yourself for a small packet of crisps burtha, you need some fat in your diet.

Felt a bit weak, skinny and sleep-deprived this morning (4.30am) so ate a good size bowl of pineapple and yoghurt pre-emptively, it should get me through the day.

• burtha
    • By burtha 8th Oct 16, 12:03 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    burtha
    The crisps in the past would have been the start of a slippery slope lol

Today Grapes,pear and fig,
    Hummus and a tomato in 1 slice of wholemeal bread,
    3 slices of veggi pizza
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 8th Oct 16, 6:31 AM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 7,568 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Yesterday I had stuffed cabbage rolls for lunch with ratatouille, then fat, sugar, wheat and dairy later with not a veg in sight. Twas nice though .

Totals yesterday: 5:0.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Oct 16, 9:16 AM
    • 20,394 Posts
    • 40,203 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Yesterday turned into a 2:5 day with little less. I didn't exercise though, so felt a bit less skinny.

• burtha
    • By burtha 8th Oct 16, 10:34 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    burtha
    Weekends always go a bit wrong lol
    Salad bowl at ik** at about 2 30 , before I lost the will to live
    Remains of last night's pizza for supper
    No fruit it sight ...
    So 0 fruit , maybe 3 veg

Somehow I think tomorrow may be be the same ...
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Oct 16, 7:42 AM
    • 20,394 Posts
    • 40,203 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I grazed all day yesterday so it's a bit difficult to assess. 3:1 I think.

Inspiration to eat more veg...although on reflection, it looks dry and inedible!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,054Posts Today

5,353Users online

Martin's Twitter