Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Aug 16, 8:23 PM
    • 19,764Posts
    • 38,739Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Are you getting enough?
    • 14th Aug 16, 8:23 PM
    Are you getting enough? 14th Aug 16 at 8:23 PM
    Five-a-day, that is.

I have been reviewing my previously appalling eating habits over recent months, and having beaten my sugar addiction am now moving onto the next stage: to increase my vegetable consumption.

I know the 5 is a figure plucked out of the air by the great and the good of the scientific community and not an evidence-based target to aim for. However I also acknowledge I have previously relied on the over-consumption of fruit to kid myself I am being healthy so there must be a balance somewhere! So what I am now trying to do is eat at least 3:2 or 4:1 or 5:0 a day, in favour of veggies. Anyone care to join me?

These are zee rules:

- the higher the overall count the better, but at least try to have 2 more portions of veg than fruit, eg 6:4, or 7:5. Bear this in mind and there really won't be much room for more fruit after eating a load of vegetables!
    - potatoes, bananas and the like are not fruit and veg: they are starchy foods
    - smoothies don't count, nor do fruit juices. These are cheats!
    - I count mushrooms as a protein, but that is not a bad thing so eat freely (unless your name is Claudius and you happened to be born on 1st August 10 BC )
    - vegetable-based soups do contribute to the tally, upto a max of 3 portions (2 if smooth)
    - tropical fruits are high sugar and to be avoided. Max one portion a day unless counterbalanced with an extra serving of veg.
    - fruit and vegetable by-products, such as wine and jam don't count
    - condiments such as pickles and hummus are nice added extras but not actual vegetable portions.

Post your daily count here, but be honest with yourself!

Today I just about made 5 in total: 2 servings of vegetables in the form of spinach, leek and carrot sticks, plus an apple and 2 small nectarines making a 3:2 day.

As I say, wine and crisps don't count
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 13
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 18th Sep 16, 8:14 AM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 7,392 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Yesterday I had soup and the usual salad for lunch, for dinner I had taco mince and chips with beans and sweetcorn.

Totals: 7:0
    I walk around like everything is fine, but deep down, inside my shoe, my sock is sliding off.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th Sep 16, 12:21 PM
    • 19,764 Posts
    • 38,739 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    So far today I have had 2.5 servings of fruit. I'm avoiding complex carbs like crazy and will be grazing on cheese if I need to later, as I am attending a wedding this afternoon and am wearing a nicely fitted dress. I am doing everything I can to avoid the dreaded bloat, which can come on unpredictably and makes me look like I have a tire round my lower abdomen - so have a plan B outfit. Do men have the same problem?

I'm sure I'll get my veggies in the evening, will aim for 3.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • burtha
    • By burtha 18th Sep 16, 10:19 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 3,950 Thanks
    burtha
    Well today 2 bananas, 1 breakfast 1 snack
    Pear , bagel and mango chutney , dinner
    Butternut squash stew thing , butternut squash, spinach,carrot,tomato,chickpeas,
    so 2 fruit 5 veg
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 19th Sep 16, 8:21 AM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 7,392 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Yesterday I had a chicken tikka wrap for lunch, grilled chicken with spicy peanut sauce, beans, peas, sweetcorn for dinner.

Totals for yesterday: 3:0
    I walk around like everything is fine, but deep down, inside my shoe, my sock is sliding off.
    • his missus
    • By his missus 19th Sep 16, 3:15 PM
    • 3,331 Posts
    • 19,735 Thanks
    his missus
    Another embarrassingly poor weekend, the less said the better.

Today - beans with breakfast.
    Lunch - tin of soup (according to the label 1 of my 5 a day) grapes.
    Snack - mixed berries
    Dinner - home-made veggie curry. 1 courgette, pepper, onion, mushrooms, carrot - must be 2 veg portions at least.

4 veg : 2 fruit

• splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 20th Sep 16, 7:59 AM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 7,392 Thanks
    splishsplash
    I hope the wedding was fun, VfM.

Yesterday I had chicken in satay sauce for lunch with sweetcorn and peas.

For some reason I was absolutely stuffed even though it was only a small portion, so I didn't eat again until 10pm when I had honey on toast, mainly to finish off the bread left by the kids at the weekend.

Yesterday's totals: 2:0.

Must try harder...
    • burtha
    • By burtha 20th Sep 16, 6:15 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 3,950 Thanks
    burtha
    Well yesterday wasn't to bad , plum, Grapes, butternut squash stew thing , bagel and cheese at supper
    So 2 f and 5 veg
    Today
    Grapes, banana, crumpet
    Then crumpet with a poached egg ,
    Snack of celery ,
    May or may not have supper with veg ....
    Up to now 2 fruit 1 veg
    must eat later lol
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 20th Sep 16, 6:49 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 3,360 Thanks
    Florence J
    Managed to complete my month long challenge of having my five a day, then had my first fail in over a month a day afterwards. Have started a new busy job so haven't had the same preparation time. Have gotten a little back into the swing of things but I think I am still not reaching my five a day. Will try harder.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #553
    2016: Sell 1000 #51 (340.03/1000)
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 = 262.95/310
    Wombling free 2016 = 404.24
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 20th Sep 16, 11:20 PM
    • 19,764 Posts
    • 38,739 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Today was another day of barely eating. I got back at around 11pm and forced down a load of carrot batons. 2.5:0 at a push.

• splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 21st Sep 16, 6:30 AM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 7,392 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Yesterday: soup for lunch with a portion of leaves and salad. Stuffed cabbage leaves with ratatouille for dinner, plus an orange and apple.

Totals yesterday: 6:2
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Sep 16, 10:10 PM
    • 19,764 Posts
    • 38,739 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Today was a bit weird, I managed 5.5:4! The weird bit was I became hungry afterwards (my 5.5 was a load of salad) so I ended up eating my ultimate comfort food - Weetabix - afterwards

• burtha
    • By burtha 21st Sep 16, 11:26 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 3,950 Thanks
    burtha
    Today banana and plum , snack of home made hummus and home made bread sticks, then supper of mixed salad and stuffed mushroom with corn on the cob ....
    Just out of curiosity , what time do people eat and do you think it makes a difference , example plum about 11 am , banana 3pm , snack about 5 30 , supper 8 30 ...

So today 2 fruit , 5 veg
    • his missus
    • By his missus 22nd Sep 16, 3:03 PM
    • 3,331 Posts
    • 19,735 Thanks
    his missus
    Burtha I tend to eat breakfast at 7.45 - 8am, lunch at 12.30pm dinner at 6.15pm during the week. I take 2 fruit snacks to work to eat whenever I'm peckish or bored. At the weekend I eat about 9am, 1pm and 6pm but don't particularly snack (well not in any healthy sense) during the day so I definitely lose 2 fruit portions on Saturday/Sunday. There's also usually one unhealthy evening meal at the weekends - pizza (without veg) chippy tea, a meal with no veg accompaniments.

Today isn't looking great. one fruit snack, probably one portion of veg in my pasta bake lunch, evening meal is going to be a tin of veg soup (1 portion according to the tin)

2 veg : 1 fruit, crikey, that's worse than a weekend!

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 22nd Sep 16, 9:43 PM
    • 19,764 Posts
    • 38,739 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Mine didn't go to plan, ended up eating 2:3 today....and lots of chips!

• splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 22nd Sep 16, 10:30 PM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 7,392 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Today I had egg fried rice for lunch with sweetcorn and spinach. This evening I had falafel burgers and ratatouille(180g) for dinner, followed by an orange and an apple.

Totals today: 5:2

Yesterday I had split pea soup for lunch and thai red chicken curry with a massive helping (and seconds and thirds) of warm kale, carrot and bean salad with cashew nuts and peanut butter dressing. I had an orange and apple also.

Yesterday's totals: 4:2
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 22nd Sep 16, 10:50 PM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 7,392 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Today banana and plum , snack of home made hummus and home made bread sticks, then supper of mixed salad and stuffed mushroom with corn on the cob ....
    Just out of curiosity , what time do people eat and do you think it makes a difference , example plum about 11 am , banana 3pm , snack about 5 30 , supper 8 30 ...

So today 2 fruit , 5 veg
    Originally posted by burtha
    I have lunch at 1 pm and dinner (ideally) by 6 pm. Sometimes it could be 10 pm though, depends on what's on. If I'm doing a 5:2 fast day, I just skip lunch and watch portion sizes.

Does it make a difference? I don't know. All I know is if I eat early in the day it makes me completely ravenous for the rest of the day and I eat twice as much as I should.
    • nanny beach
    • By nanny beach 23rd Sep 16, 2:59 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    nanny beach
    Do you guys actually realise how big a "portion" of veg is, when you are quoting eating 5 or 7 portions, seriously look it up its huge. Spuds are carbs but bananas ARE fruit.If you want a low sugar content, berries,apples are recomended, go easy on the exotic fruits. Me, unsweetened musli for breakfast, with sliced banana and handfull of strawberries. lunch pack of melon from supermarket,nectarine, bag of crisps, snack, ice lolly.
    • nanny beach
    • By nanny beach 23rd Sep 16, 3:06 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    nanny beach
    If you look up the "Good to Know" website, a portion of veg is 3 heaped tablespoons of carrots,peas, 14 mushrooms, 2 brochli heads, 8 sprouts. Its a lot!
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 23rd Sep 16, 5:22 PM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 7,392 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Do you guys actually realise how big a "portion" of veg is, when you are quoting eating 5 or 7 portions, seriously look it up its huge. Spuds are carbs but bananas ARE fruit.If you want a low sugar content, berries,apples are recomended, go easy on the exotic fruits. Me, unsweetened musli for breakfast, with sliced banana and handfull of strawberries. lunch pack of melon from supermarket,nectarine, bag of crisps, snack, ice lolly.
    Originally posted by nanny beach
    A portion is usually 80g of fruit/veg and 30g dried fruit. Yes, I weigh my food, or did initially, to familiarize myself with portion sizes.
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 23rd Sep 16, 5:26 PM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 7,392 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Today I had salad for lunch - lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, spring onion, sweetcorn, grated carrot with a very generous sprinkling of pine nuts and a vinaigrette dressing.

Dinner tonight will be taco mince with sweet potato wedges, spicy mixed beans and salad.

I just had an apple and will have an orange and banana later.

Totals today: 7:3.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,949Posts Today

6,937Users online

Martin's Twitter