Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Elmax
    • By Elmax 13th Aug 16, 10:55 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Elmax
    NHS job offer withdrawn - is it sickness
    • 13th Aug 16, 10:55 PM
    NHS job offer withdrawn - is it sickness 13th Aug 16 at 10:55 PM
    I'm devastated- after two months of providing all sorts of evidence I have received a letter stating I haven't satisfied the trust with my employment history and references.

I have worked for a trust for 20 years and in the past 6 months have been off with work related stress. I completed all the information and on the occupational health form was honest and out 84 days which I somehow had got this figure for being off nearly six months (I only with four days a week).

I went to see OH this week and she said she would sign me off as fit and the. I get a letter two days letter withdrawing my offer.

I have had two instances of sick in two years, this long one then another for three days.

I don't know what to do. My current manager (who was involved in my complaint at work and caused the work related stress) said that she had had a reference and what stage was at in line with something to do with nhs employers. I said I had a verbal offer and condition written offer. She said they had asked for my sickness and I said I'd declared it but had an amount she had pulled off esr which was over 100 days!

Why will they have withdrawn my offer? I thought only the sick I declared to Oh was seen by them and they didn't share it - or the have seen what I gave and have withdrawn it on the fact I've given a different figure than the referee.

Please help! I'm devastated and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do or is that it and they won't reconsider?
Page 2
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 6th Sep 17, 7:10 AM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 856 Thanks
    Sncjw
    Why are you commenting on a thread from last year
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 6th Sep 17, 8:26 AM
    • 529 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    seashore22
    This thread is a year old.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 6th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 6,218 Posts
    • 4,748 Thanks
    ohreally
    There's an echo.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 6th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 812 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    I didn't even notice!

My bad...
    • stator
    • By stator 6th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 5,800 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    stator
    The O.P. has not only had a lot of time off sick but they mentioned a complaint involving their manager , so H.R. will certainly know who they are , and I believe the chances of an off the record tip to the new employer are high.
    Originally posted by aife
    Don't be silly. The current employer would LOVE to get an employee off their books who has had 6 months sick leave and made complaints. Their references would state the facts of their employment and nothing more.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • polgara
    • By polgara 6th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    polgara
    The NHS operates an unofficial blacklist.

Which operates within the wider public sector aswell.

Your current trust will not give you a bad written reference.

But the public sector HR world is not a huge one and people will make phones calls or ask questions like "would you re-employ this person"

To be perfectly honest though as you have had such a recent and long term incidence of sickness I doubt if anybody would be successful in getting a job with the NHS or other public sector body
    Originally posted by bigjl
    Rubbish! There is no such thing as a blacklist. Also a Trust can give a bad written reference - as long as it is factually correct. It is true that references can ask would you re-employ this people which is a valid question
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,609Posts Today

7,672Users online

Martin's Twitter