Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 12th Aug 16, 1:55 PM
    • 421Posts
    • 1,932Thanks
    f0xh0les
    22 Foxhole East
    • 12th Aug 16, 1:55 PM
    22 Foxhole East 12th Aug 16 at 1:55 PM
    I just made my first mortgage overpayment.

We bought a 5 bed Victorian terraced house in the East Midlands in April 16 that has been badly neglected. It needs everything doing, it has been let out on a room by room basis and used as a rental machine. Now it is our family house (4 kids = one bedroom each!!).

So far I have replaced 2 Velux on the attic floor so the rain stays on the outside (very rotten frames)

Have had a full electrical rewire as the wiring was underneath the wallpaper - not boxed or chased in, just behind the wallpaper and skirting boards. Got a shiny certificate and everything now!

Decorated 4 kids bedrooms and put down new carpets in 3 of them

On the still to do list for this year

- new roof and insulation - nails degrading! Snow could cause a huge problem. Better get it sorted really.

- New shower and bathroom flooring - water damage, holes in floors (!) we should have moved the bath mats when we were viewing, they hid a lot of damage.

Plastering and decorating.

Nice carpets!!

Shelves!

That will be the two top floors done and I can kid myself I am 2/3rds of the way finished

Not attempting anything on the ground floor until 2017 - so no talk of log burners,knocking down walls, kitchens, damp proof courses, shower rooms or the like. That way lies madness, shhhhh, next year, at some point...

So, let's talk money.
    House cost £160,000
    Deposit was £41,315 (sale of previous nasty Manchester Foxhole)
    Amount borrowed £118,685

We got a 1.94 % fixed for 2 years with Accord which rises to something ridiculous like 7% so remortgage time in 2018

We will repay £1.82 for every £1 borrowed over the 26.5 year life of the mortgage unless I overpay

I have just rung Accord, found out I can repay up to 10% of the total amount borrowed (each year without penalty), can make as many overpayments as I like per month without penalty, but cannot check on the balance online. I have to ring up a silly automated 0345 number that will tell me what the balance is! I will have to remember to ring it on my mobile so it is free.

Monthly Mortgage repayment £467.00
    An overpayment of £200 a month would knock 10.5 years off the life of the mortgage.

We are planning on spending 5 years living here, and them moving elsewhere due to the nature of DH's work. So, lets see how much I can throw at this mortgage.
    MFW May 16 £118,340 Aug£117,1 Sept£116,7 Oct£116,Nov£115,548 SPC #59 Wombling Free Very Special Agent #21 Competition wins..A fire steel! TShirt/ Return trip Car +2 to Ireland Free Amazon vouchers £60 YouGov 3.75p (£50 Mar/£50 Nov) Tesco £15.00 H&B £2.00 NO DEBT EXCEPT MORTGAGE
Page 4
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 16th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Oh hell! Mr FH spent all yesterday fiddling with the loo which randomly decides to keep filling, it is nothing more than an annoying dripping noise, but he decided he was going to fix something himself as his parents are coming. Well, he took everything apart, went to the hardware store, fitted the washer, wrong size washer, went back to hardware store, they do not have the right size, went to H0mebase, they do not have the right size, decided to use smaller washer and hope for the best, fitted new bottom filling flush mechanism (!) all seemed to be working, except it had developed a drip. So, it all had to come out again, but he had tightened it so tightly he had to take a hacksaw to it to get it out. So, it is ruined. He ended the day with a not working toilet, and a cut hand.

He has just run out to Screwf1x to get some more bits.
    Never have I been more thankful to have more than one loo in a house.
    MFW May 16 £118,340 Aug£117,1 Sept£116,7 Oct£116,Nov£115,548 SPC #59 Wombling Free Very Special Agent #21 Competition wins..A fire steel! TShirt/ Return trip Car +2 to Ireland Free Amazon vouchers £60 YouGov 3.75p (£50 Mar/£50 Nov) Tesco £15.00 H&B £2.00 NO DEBT EXCEPT MORTGAGE
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 16th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    • 8,050 Posts
    • 51,560 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Oh no! I bet he is pretty annoyed right now.
    £790 to pay =70% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 December £2.32 2016-£55.16 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £2,237.25 2015 £1027.20
    NST December
    PAYDBX #7 £1910.53/£2,700 (70%)
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 16th Oct 16, 8:15 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    And all for the want of a £1 washer, it would have worked. Poor Mr Fox, he is now very very grumpy.

I have been painting the walls that I have been filling a very boring shade of magnolia, but it is only to hide the plaster while in-laws are here and until I find the wallpaper that is going to cover it. My plastering is much better than the other person who has previously attempted it, but that does not help their rubbish plastering. I think I will be sanding it down further. But it will definitely be good enough to wallpaper without needing lining paper first, so that is an expense and a faff that will be avoided.
    • giblet1979
    • By giblet1979 17th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 3,398 Thanks
    giblet1979
    Oops..... x
    Debt remaining:
    Mortgage - £122,780 (of £134,600)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200)

• f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 18th Oct 16, 8:37 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    A £1 odd doughnut washer and it is all behaving itself so far. 24 hrs in and no leakage.

Spent the day up my ladder and moving furniture about a bit. Funny how the right bit of furniture in the right position suddenly frees up a massive amount of space.

DH has just announced he is too busy to take time of work when his parents come. So I have to keep them entertained all day on Thursday and Friday. F-I-L is not so bad, limitless cups of tea and the Telegraph crossword and he is quite happy, but M-I-L is so very competitive about everything. If you have a headache, she has a migraine, if you have a sore throat, she has to have pneumonia, if you are tired,she is falling asleep while driving..... She has favourites among the grandchildren, and she has a favourite child too. I don't know what is the matter with the woman.
    But it is not my place to have an opinion, as I have ' just married in'. Ho jolly hum. I turn into Mary Poppins at this point, harness my inner Julie Andrews and play my internal 'Perry and Terrence' soundtrack (southpark), and nobody knows as I hand around gluten free, dairy free, ginger tiffin slices, while she complains that she really doesn't need the extra calories..................................

Anyway, the house is looking much better, just need to get rid of a few more bits of furniture that just don't 'fit' anywhere or are simply too big. Ongoing project, after all, Rome wasn't built in a day, although I expect Ikea was.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 18th Oct 16, 10:44 PM
    • 8,050 Posts
    • 51,560 Thanks
    Bobarella
    She sounds like the type (& I love this saying) " If you had an elephant she'd have a box to put it in"
    £790 to pay =70% repaid
    NST December
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 24th Oct 16, 4:54 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Oh thank god that's over.

I am not in need of a new patio.

Have only slept for 3 hours last night, they left us at 10.30pm to go back to the hotel (4 stars, great reputation locally m-i-l hated it and is already composing her bad reviews for trip advisor) and I was so wound up I could not sleep. So at 1am I got up and made tea and read a book until 3, when I thought I really should try again as I had to be up at 6.

Last words the kids said to me after bath, and bedtime story last night was ' Grandma says we can come to her house anytime we want - we just have to tell you to take us'.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 24th Oct 16, 5:21 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    £2.75 until Y0ug0v pays out £50, and they are sending DS1 a £1.50 survey later today to do.

Have done the cupboard inventory and the shopping list has been compiled and menu plan for the week sorted.

Tonight, as a celebration of not having to feed 8 people lunch, dinner and two sets of desserts on a daily basis, we are having (insert relevant choice) on toast. Cheese, posh mushrooms, beans or spaghetti hoops, I do not care, it is all I am cooking tonight.
    After the washing up it is going to be a hot bath, PJs, Jeremy Paxman and Victoria Coren-Mitchell. I may even have ice cream. Quizes and pudding. What Monday evenings were made for.

DS2's clarinet teacher had emailed me yesterday that she has pneumonia and so his lesson was cancelled. I found out tonight. Oops. He had waited for her to turn up. He also did not know which Maths group he was in, as they had tests just before the end of term, luckily he is still in top set. Phew.

DS1 started the day with no trousers and no school bag. He was told 3 times to get a new school bag, he chose not to, now it is my fault he has not got a bag and had to borrow one off his dad. The trousers were a bit of a mystery until I told him to check the airing cupboard. This is why you tell them the night before to go and make sure they have everything they need. Then they wander off and don't bother and everyone ends up racing up and down the stupid stairs in the morning trying to find some muppet's stuff that is in plain view in their bedroom. Kids!! Arrgh!!!

Anyway, the toaster calls.......
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 24th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Oh pox! Fluffy death machine animals have replaced Mrs Coren-Mitchell and Mr Paxman. It will have to be a book then.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 24th Oct 16, 8:41 PM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 8,693 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26

DH has just announced he is too busy to take time of work when his parents come. So I have to keep them entertained all day on Thursday and Friday. F-I-L is not so bad, limitless cups of tea and the Telegraph crossword and he is quite happy, but M-I-L is so very competitive about everything. If you have a headache, she has a migraine, if you have a sore throat, she has to have pneumonia, if you are tired,she is falling asleep while driving..... She has favourites among the grandchildren, and she has a favourite child too. I don't know what is the matter with the woman.
    But it is not my place to have an opinion, as I have ' just married in'. Ho jolly hum. I turn into Mary Poppins at this point, harness my inner Julie Andrews and play my internal 'Perry and Terrence' soundtrack (southpark), and nobody knows as I hand around gluten free, dairy free, ginger tiffin slices, while she complains that she really doesn't need the extra calories..................................

Originally posted by f0xh0les
    That's where my MIL was. I was wondering
    CC1 paid off April '16. Debt on 0% card deal ends March '18, so DF date is also March '18, because we'll be saving the rest
    • Tropically
    • By Tropically 24th Oct 16, 10:59 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Tropically
    I heard that your MIL only got 2 hours sleep last night!
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 25th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 8,050 Posts
    • 51,560 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Foxy - all sounds a bit stressful. Hope you get some more sleep tonight...
    £790 to pay =70% repaid
    NST December
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 25th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Just got a £5 amazon voucher for a tv survey!

£5 M0rries voucher off next shop

Sneaky overpayment of £46 to the mortgage account, just to tidy the figures up. Doing really well this month, the child tax mystery helping immensely, only a week to go to payday on Monday.

Just baked a cake for kids lunch boxes tomorrow. Still have masses of fruit from the market at the weekend to go in, and I have YS wraps, 'artisan' (!) olive bread (15p) and fillings for them.

Bought a pack of 5 radiator keys for £3, as it was £2 for one, and I figured it is only a matter of time before I lose it. Then I bled the radiators and will see if they get any hotter.

Off to read Five go to Finniston Farm. Hot water bottles and 13.5 tog duvets on the beds. Happy kids.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 27th Oct 16, 7:22 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    I can't find the other 4 radiator keys! Also, only half the radiators are warming up- the ground floor and DS2s bedroom and one on the landing are fine. So that will need spanner investigation, as I think they may have been closed off at the nut, as it were.

Dude turned up with £15 and took the coin meters, so into the Tardis that went. Took back some Earl Grey tea to M0rries, it didn't taste or smell like Earl Grey and was awful, £2 returned without a receipt. Bought a brown paper sack of spuds from Adsa, as a bag only lasts one and a half meals and it is much cheaper. So as I couldn't be bothered to cook last night, I made a veg stew and dumplings with salt and pepper bread until they had eaten it all, then they started on the olive bread (?) boys!

DS2 seems to be slipping into his wicked ways again. He is not eating his sandwiches at lunchtime, just crisps and cake and snacks. I found Tues and Wed's sandwiches still in his lunchbox - very strange as he is starving when he gets home and makes himself the same sandwich that is in his lunchbox that he didn't eat!! DH keeps going nuts, but you have to realise there is a time when you cannot police what they eat. So I am going to ramp up the smoothies and soups and stir fries to make sure he is eating properly at home, even if he is stuffing himself with biscuits at school. Silly boy.

I am still not sleeping (even less than usual) and am having nightmares - which is interesting - nightmares don't bother me, I wake up thinking -ooh, that was strange, rather than Aaaaaahhhh, turn the light on and check under the bed!

Monday was £16 for an after school club for DS4 til Xmas, then Tuesday was £16 for DS3, then yesterday was another £14 for DS4, I wish they would give all the letters out on the same day, and they you could trade off which clubs on which days! So now I have after school clubs on Monday, Tuesday x 2 and Thursday, and I still have not factored swimming lessons in, but I need to get on to that, DS1 and 2 had lessons until they were 11, then they dropped them but they are both quite good swimmers, just lazy. Must do the same for 3 & 4 or it will come back and bite me on the bum when they are older (it is going to be my fault no matter what but at least I can prove consistency).

Making a concerted effort to keep up with a bedtime story chapter every night, sitting on the landing between their bedrooms.

This mortgage payment is going to take me into the £115's - I have told DH his Xmas present is going to be a T shirt, some socks and a mortgage overpayment, he looked quite pleased.

Rang the automated mortgage hotline this morning, and there are new options - one of them is INTERNET, so I will ring back after 8 when there are real people to talk to and see if I can do that, as I really want to be obsessively checking my mortgage balance on a daily basis.

Right, off to wake small humans and throw food at them. I wonder who will have been attacked by the trouser moths in the night, they only take school trousers and fly away with them.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 3rd Nov 16, 8:24 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Only two chapters left of Five go to Finniston Farm, I have read a chapter every single night for the last 17 nights, they have had hot water bottles, and a few times I have even managed hot chocolate! Getting into a routine now it is dark and lovely.

I bought some fleece and have been lining the living room curtains cos the double glazing is 1980s double glazing, and bless, it really is not up to the job. So another one to stick on the list of things to be done with scaffold. Oddly, the windows on the back of the house are much better and more recent than the ones on the front, although there are 3 single glazed windows that need to be seen to.

I have put the heating on. There. Judge me. I cannot put up with DHs sad face anymore. So, it is on for half an hour in the morning while kids and DH are running around on the landing in their pants, and from 6-9pm while the kids are running around in their pants and DH is on the sofa (not in his pants, well, he is wearing pants but they are under his clothes). During the day when there is nobody in but me, there is no point having it on, although I am looking at possibly getting a little heater just for me in the living room.

I have another £1 Amaz0n voucher to add to the pot, and am a whole annoying 50p away from a £50 Y0uG0v cheque.

We are in the limbo phase in mortgage land, the payment has been taken, I chucked an extra £250 at it on the last day of October, just cos I could really, but the automated balance line has not updated yet. Boo

Did a quick raid on supermarket this morning, and got a bag of carrots for 7p, parsnips 9p, bananas 26p and went to the market on the way back from the fleece shop and got 2 x punnet of grapes for 50p each and 25 clementines for £1 so the fruit bowl is full. Getting dangerously low on filter coffee though......

Putting up lots of pictures on walls, so the kids bedrooms are looking great.

A random £400 cheque turned up in the post this morning. Old people are odd. No doubt it will turn into a request for me to buy something over the internet/ vouchers from a shop for Xmas presents for her friends.

I have cut all the ticking off 2 mattresses leaving me with the metal springs, so I can take those to the tip for metal recycling. It only takes 10 minutes and turns them into something that can be recycled rather than tipped.

The day bed did not sell, sadly, so I offered it up for free, I had reduced it down to £20 and offered to deliver, but no takers, suddenly when it is free, lots of people want it. I was surprised it didn't sell at £40, so reduced it to £30 then £20 and then on Friday I thought sod it, I need the room in the second living room more than I need the £20, it was gone by Sunday.

So I have managed to reclaim 3/4s of the other room, now I have to clear the last 1/4 and then it will be a case of looking for furniture to make it a proper 'room'. Luckily I am close to 3 very good second hand furniture places so sofa shopping will not be painful. Unluckily DS 3 & 4 have found the dining table and a double duvet and have made a secret base and keep bringing their stuff down from their bedrooms to make it more 'homely', and they want to sleep in it. I said no. I am now evil mum.

Tried to get a carpenter to quote for changing the hang on 8 doors, have left messages but nobody has got back to me yet

So all in all, things are getting done, jobs are being knocked off the list.......and DS4 has announced we NEED a hamster called Shadow who is secretly a ninja. I feel a hamster in my immediate future.
    Last edited by f0xh0les; 03-11-2016 at 8:27 PM.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 3rd Nov 16, 8:28 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    The carrots and parsnips are not in the fruit bowl.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 4th Nov 16, 4:28 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Mortgage update day!! Now we only owe £115,548.75

I got another Y0uG0v survey!!
    So now I am a massive 25p away from a £50 cheque
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 4th Nov 16, 6:26 PM
    • 8,050 Posts
    • 51,560 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Foxholes For some reason I haven't had any alerts from your diary since last week. As you are over here in MFW I don't see you as a matter of course, so sorry for not popping in. Your boys sound very lucky getting hot chocolate and stories.

How annoying about the day bed. There are some stingy gets out there!!
    £790 to pay =70% repaid
    NST December
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 4th Nov 16, 6:56 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    It is somehow worse when they get it free, don't turn up when they say they will, rock up in a car you couldn't afford, and then don't bother to say thanks! "Hi, here for the bed, er, can you give us a hand getting it into the car, that's great, bye then".

Bought some nice filter coffee with Nectar points = £0
    Found some posh Kellogs granola stuff with Amazonian raw grains, pure gold, and cinnamon, from a really cheapy cheap shop - makes Heron look like M&S - for 50p a bag, bought a few bags cos DH and the kids like it. They have been asking when I will get them mini choc chip weetabix again, the answer is when I find it for 59p a box again, and this time I will buy in bulk!

I have new pyrex bun tins (rrp 4.50 - reduced to 75p) v. happy fox.

DH came down with another migraine this week. I am going to have to sit on him until he promises to make an appointment with the optician for an eye test. It might just be a simple thing to fix. Fingers crossed.

I think I have enough food in the house to not have to bother shopping this weekend, so I am going to try and get as many of the stupid little jobs done as possible.

And Spurs v Arsenal on Sunday.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Nov 16, 9:39 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    £50 from YouGov finally !! so that is £150 in 14 months. Not bad eh?

Two loads of laundry dried, and then put in the new £99 tumble dryer. It has a sensor that weighs the load and works out how long it will take to dry and it has a countdown and automatic stop. I love it. The load I brought in this morning took 7 minutes to be absolutely cupboard dry, and it means no ironing too. Hoorah!

Lined the curtains with fleece, it was toasty last night, and I 'refound' the door sausages (draught excluders) and gave them a bit more stuffing with old single socks from the sock box.

Tidying up a bit, baking for lunchboxes and maybe doing a yellow sticker raid and a bit of cooking for the freezer, are all on the cards for today.

DS4 announced this morning he does not want to go to tag rugby on a Sunday morning (cos his brothers are on the computers). I am not sad about this. They can do any clubs any night of the week, but weekend clubs just tend to eat into family time, and then you end up missing loads of them due to birthday parties and weekends away. So we are sticking to just doing dodgeball, multi-sports, gymnastics, clarinet lessons and robotics clubs, and wedging swimming lessons in there somewhere.

Enjoy the sunshine and dig out those hats and mittens!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

835Posts Today

5,859Users online

Martin's Twitter