Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 12th Aug 16, 1:55 PM
    • 1,268Posts
    • 10,054Thanks
    f0xh0les
    22 Foxhole East
    • 12th Aug 16, 1:55 PM
    22 Foxhole East 12th Aug 16 at 1:55 PM
    I just made my first mortgage overpayment.

We bought a 5 bed Victorian terraced house in the East Midlands in April 16 that has been badly neglected. It needs everything doing, it has been let out on a room by room basis and used as a rental machine. Now it is our family house (4 kids = one bedroom each!!).

So far I have replaced 2 Velux on the attic floor so the rain stays on the outside (very rotten frames)

Have had a full electrical rewire as the wiring was underneath the wallpaper - not boxed or chased in, just behind the wallpaper and skirting boards. Got a shiny certificate and everything now!

Decorated 4 kids bedrooms and put down new carpets in 3 of them

On the still to do list for this year

- new roof and insulation - nails degrading! Snow could cause a huge problem. Better get it sorted really.

- New shower and bathroom flooring - water damage, holes in floors (!) we should have moved the bath mats when we were viewing, they hid a lot of damage.

Plastering and decorating.

Nice carpets!!

Shelves!

That will be the two top floors done and I can kid myself I am 2/3rds of the way finished

Not attempting anything on the ground floor until 2017 - so no talk of log burners,knocking down walls, kitchens, damp proof courses, shower rooms or the like. That way lies madness, shhhhh, next year, at some point...

So, let's talk money.
    House cost £160,000
    Deposit was £41,315 (sale of previous nasty Manchester Foxhole)
    Amount borrowed £118,685

We got a 1.94 % fixed for 2 years with Accord which rises to something ridiculous like 7% so remortgage time in 2018

We will repay £1.82 for every £1 borrowed over the 26.5 year life of the mortgage unless I overpay

I have just rung Accord, found out I can repay up to 10% of the total amount borrowed (each year without penalty), can make as many overpayments as I like per month without penalty, but cannot check on the balance online. I have to ring up a silly automated 0345 number that will tell me what the balance is! I will have to remember to ring it on my mobile so it is free.

Monthly Mortgage repayment £467.00
    An overpayment of £200 a month would knock 10.5 years off the life of the mortgage.

We are planning on spending 5 years living here, and them moving elsewhere due to the nature of DH's work. So, lets see how much I can throw at this mortgage.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800

Jan 18 £108,392.98
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #161
Page 32
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 26th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 6,808 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Ouch for the loss of money on the strikes, I absolutely get why they feel striking is needed but it is a huge ask from people to do that much. I remember talking to academics last time who agonised about the impact on students too. Do UCU have the insurance that gives members some pay if they strike? I can't remember but I think Unite did have the option last time they had 'trouble at the mill'.

In terms of planning it might not all go off in the same month. Last time they had to submit a form the day after to say that they had been on strike, and it was recovered from the following months pay cheque.

ETA: Thinking back there was something about impact on pension too, can't remember the detail though as it was a few years ago. Counted as unpaid leave or something if you don't make the contributions up.

Much sympathy from me.
    Last edited by redofromstart; 26-01-2018 at 7:44 PM.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 27th Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 10,054 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Thanks redofromstart I have absolutely no idea, but at least I can plan for another tight month. If it does come out of the end of March pay cheque it is not a problem as the kids 5% interest accounts will have matured and I will have a fat wad of cash waiting to be drip fed back into their regular savers. We won't starve.

The eldest two have barking coughs now, and #3 is starting too. Lemon-flavour-paracetamol-based-drink-sachets will not last long with 2 of them necking them. Will have to pick up more today or tomorrow.

I have caved and allowed DS2 to go on his school residential trip to Devon (or somewhere) in June. £320, but it will do him good to realise not everyone has the quality of parents he has.

DS1 was actually shocked when he went on his, not only at what his friends did not know how to do for themselves, but what they ate or had never eaten before, and he came back with a bit more appreciation for us. Which was nice, it doesn't last long, but it made him much more aware he is definitely not hard done by. The thought of not knowing what an aubergine or avocado or (shock horror) an artichoke was. He is still traumatised his best friend has never eaten a walnut or an olive (his mum tried one once and was not impressed). His lunch is a constant source of amazement. Nearly every day he comes home with a new thing Tom has never eaten. The boy is 15! and totally averse to trying anything new. He also thinks that anything with a YS is 40 seconds away from mouldy.
    Poor thing must be horrified by DS1s tales of my thriftiness. Must think I am a total nutter. I hate to think what he tells his parents about his best friend's Mum. Oh well.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 2nd Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 10,054 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Welcome to February!

DS 3 is 10 today, he has a football kit, goalie gloves, boots, an ice cream ball thing, a couple of T Shirts and books and money. He can't complain!

He has requested a peanut butter and jelly cake. So I have made two victoria sponges, so 4 layers, made a peanut butter icing and will alternately sandwich jam and peanut butter cream to make a tall cake. Not sure I have candles though - good job I thought to post this or I would have made a major error!

It is a Chinese Takeaway for tea tonight. I make the rice at home so it is just the main courses we buy, should be about the £20-£25 mark.
    He has 2 friends coming over to play tomorrow morning around 9.30, so that should keep him happy.

No further painting has been done, but what has been done looks marvellous, I will get on with it next week.

I paid all my outgoings first this month. Which makes me nervous as I worry I will end up being short. Silly really, I have a credit card for emergencies.

Bob the boiler man came and serviced my boiler, I have a crack in my probe (!) apparently, so I need to be aware of it, but it is still working and so we are hoping and keeping our fingers crossed my end does not drop off.

Recycled some old bits of the kids to the foundation stage (nursery) at school. A few very cute badger/ raccoon / squirrel glove puppets, and a couple of old rolls of wallpaper that just turned up in the post one day. They draw and paint on the back of them, so that counts as recycling and charity as far as I am concerned.

I feel like there is something that I should be doing, but I have no idea what it is.
    I went to Aldi on the way back from school
    picked up DHs dry cleaning,
    made the birthday cake
    made the icing
    rang step-gran to make sure she is behaving herself
    Checked the diary - there is nothing in there.

Oh well, it will either be remembered or not.

Birthdays tend to throw me, and it takes a day or so to get back into the routine.
    There is only one week left until half term - then routine will be well and truly out of the window.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800

Jan 18 £108,392.98
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 2nd Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    • 6,935 Posts
    • 51,954 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Happy birthday to ds3! 2 cakes = 10 candles - hope you found enough real ones.
    NST Feb Forester #5; NSD 12/18 ; Ex 16/20 ; craft 3/20 (21); remove 51
    2018 Pay off: £563; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £22,936 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 2nd Feb 18, 5:21 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 10,054 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Hooray for Wilko
    I was going to go to £land but found them for 75p instead.

Still no idea what it was that I feel I was supposed to be doing.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800

Jan 18 £108,392.98
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 2nd Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 6,855 Posts
    • 48,559 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Happy Birthday DS3. That cake sounds amazing.

Your story about DS1 reminds me of my parents taking myself and my best friend out for dinner when we were about 5/6yrs old. My mum was so used to passing me the menu to make my choice she was genuinely shocked when she realised my friend couldn't read it.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 3rd Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 10,054 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Well they came for 4 hours and then went.
    I think they must have dusted bits of the house, as they spent 2 hours playing hide and seek before they discovered the NERF guns. DS3's friends are the oldest in their houses, so do not have the benefit of two bigger brothers' hand-me-down weapons. Poor DS4 came off worst (of course, the smallest usually does). But they all seem to have had a good time and I did LM sausage rolls, chips and beans for 8 ( 8!!! I had to stick the extra leaf in the table!).

DS3 is now knackered, they must have been up and down my stairs a hundred times each.

Supper will be reheated left over chinese takeaway from last night. Can't be faffed with anything else.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800

Jan 18 £108,392.98
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 4th Feb 18, 11:11 AM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 10,054 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Morning!

Had to get out of bed at 6.30 as my face hurts it is all sinus / mouth / throat/ ears related. Having 2nd lemon-flavoured-paracetamol-based-drink of the day.

Ouch!

Will do a little light baking and laundry and spend the day drinking hot drinks and quietly asking the kids to do their homework. Ok, quietly begging them to do their homework.

DS1 and DH are off to the Workshop of Games to play with their tiny men.

Did I mention my face hurts? at least I have Endeavour to look forward to at 8
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800

Jan 18 £108,392.98
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 4th Feb 18, 2:24 PM
    • 6,935 Posts
    • 51,954 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Get well soon. In my pre-coeliac days I used to get rotten sinus infections and found that avoiding wheat and sugar, and bananas (?!) too, plus drinking copious quantities of water (4l+) helped alleviate them.

Hope the kids are cooperative...
    NST Feb Forester #5; NSD 12/18 ; Ex 16/20 ; craft 3/20 (21); remove 51
    2018 Pay off: £563; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £22,936 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 4th Feb 18, 2:41 PM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    badmemory
    Not medical advice obviously, but have you tried ice packs on the sinus, it shrinks the inflamation and (sorry if this is TMI) allows the gunk to move, with the steam giving it an extra incentive.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 4th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 10,054 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Thanks, copious amounts of hot tea help, as does chewing, there is nothing there really to shift, it just feels like the inside of my face has been sand blasted. But only on one side. It will probably be gone tomorrow and was my pathetic excuse at trying to come down with this cold everyone seems to have. Luckily I am most rubbish at catching stuff and am never really down for more than a day.

I knocked up a tray of peanut butter flapjacks, a pizza dough and a pizza sauce in the allocated half hour in the kitchen while making bacon sandwiches for the kids for lunch. They don't need a full cooked meal twice a day. They are spoilt.

They can have pesto pasta in their lunchboxes tomorrow. I can't be motivated to make pasties tonight. I reserve the right to be rubbish for the day.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800

Jan 18 £108,392.98
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 12th Feb 18, 8:16 AM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 10,054 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    All better again after 2 days.

It is the first day of half term, none of the kids are downstairs yet.

DH is scheduled to have a tooth pulled today. He is very unhappy. He had 6 hrs of r/c on it, and was supposed to go back for a crown to be put on, but he did not go back 18 months ago, and now it is irrepairable. He hates the idea of a bridge, and wants to spend £2000+ on an implant. He is one of those funny chaps who is confident talking in front of 800+ people in a lecture theatre, but as soon as his hair started to thin a little, he took a complete nose-dive emotionally, and he is going to slump again unless he does the tooth implant thing. His mum is totally body dysmorphic. She has spent the 20 years I have known her dieting as her size 10 is too large ( she told DS1 he, was gross when he got a tiny tummy just before he shot up 4 inches in 8 weeks. He was just accumulating extra skin! the boy is nothing but lean, last summer she told DS2 he did not look like his brothers because his face was so round and chubby (she just stopped herself from saying FAT because the kids started laughing at her - they know grandma has a problem where she thinks everyone is fat, because I have told them about it, one of the smaller ones will say something along the lines of 'oh Grandma, that was very rude, he is not fat, we all know you have a problem inside your head ), so I should not be too surprised he will be a bit odd about certain things - it will not help she is coming to visit at the weekend for 5 days. Her first question to me was how his balding was coming on and can she mention it yet. Nothing could stop her from mentioning it.

So enough whining. I will spend my time fire-fighting while they are here. They come on Friday (DH at work) will be here until Tuesday (DH at work Mon and Tues and the kids are back at school Mon and Tues).

So, list of things to do before they come
    Change all bedding x 5 beds
    launder / dry / return to airing cupboard
    Stick down odd wallpaper seams that are a little loose in bedroom
    Finish last bits of wallpaper in upstairs loo - have a new roll
    Drive DH to dentist and back (a local makes him shaky)
    Buy a pot of paint and paint the lining paper in my bedroom
    Look for an extra sofa for them to sit on (c/shop) or move the sofa bed back into the front room while they are here.
    Clean and clean and tidy and clean
    Take the 2 smallest to the park
    Trip to museum
    Pancakes for Pancake day on Tuesday
    Finish my book.
    Bake!!
    Last edited by f0xh0les; 12-02-2018 at 8:19 AM. Reason: forgot my pancakes
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800

Jan 18 £108,392.98
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

181Posts Today

1,512Users online

Martin's Twitter