Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 12th Aug 16, 1:55 PM
    • 1,094Posts
    • 8,078Thanks
    f0xh0les
    22 Foxhole East
    • 12th Aug 16, 1:55 PM
    22 Foxhole East 12th Aug 16 at 1:55 PM
    I just made my first mortgage overpayment.

We bought a 5 bed Victorian terraced house in the East Midlands in April 16 that has been badly neglected. It needs everything doing, it has been let out on a room by room basis and used as a rental machine. Now it is our family house (4 kids = one bedroom each!!).

So far I have replaced 2 Velux on the attic floor so the rain stays on the outside (very rotten frames)

Have had a full electrical rewire as the wiring was underneath the wallpaper - not boxed or chased in, just behind the wallpaper and skirting boards. Got a shiny certificate and everything now!

Decorated 4 kids bedrooms and put down new carpets in 3 of them

On the still to do list for this year

- new roof and insulation - nails degrading! Snow could cause a huge problem. Better get it sorted really.

- New shower and bathroom flooring - water damage, holes in floors (!) we should have moved the bath mats when we were viewing, they hid a lot of damage.

Plastering and decorating.

Nice carpets!!

Shelves!

That will be the two top floors done and I can kid myself I am 2/3rds of the way finished

Not attempting anything on the ground floor until 2017 - so no talk of log burners,knocking down walls, kitchens, damp proof courses, shower rooms or the like. That way lies madness, shhhhh, next year, at some point...

So, let's talk money.
    House cost £160,000
    Deposit was £41,315 (sale of previous nasty Manchester Foxhole)
    Amount borrowed £118,685

We got a 1.94 % fixed for 2 years with Accord which rises to something ridiculous like 7% so remortgage time in 2018

We will repay £1.82 for every £1 borrowed over the 26.5 year life of the mortgage unless I overpay

I have just rung Accord, found out I can repay up to 10% of the total amount borrowed (each year without penalty), can make as many overpayments as I like per month without penalty, but cannot check on the balance online. I have to ring up a silly automated 0345 number that will tell me what the balance is! I will have to remember to ring it on my mobile so it is free.

Monthly Mortgage repayment £467.00
    An overpayment of £200 a month would knock 10.5 years off the life of the mortgage.

We are planning on spending 5 years living here, and them moving elsewhere due to the nature of DH's work. So, lets see how much I can throw at this mortgage.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
Page 27
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 27th Nov 17, 10:52 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Well, still no date from Mr Plasterer who said before December - he had better get his skates on and contact me soon!

At 4pm on Sunday DH decided he was going to take down the shower cubicle, so we did. All done, cleared up, hoovered and tea on the table by 6pm. Took a lot of brute strength and screwdrivers, but the floor is not as bad as it could have been. The floorboards seem to be rotten, but there is less than half a m2 that needs replacing and the joists do not seem to be in a bad way at all.
    Dodged a bullet I think

The next job is to remove the water damaged fake tiles they put down badly and have expanded and flaked as they were not suitable for a bathroom. Will not be a big job or even take much time, but it will leave me with bare floorboards in the bathroom until I get some lino down. Will aim to get this done before Christmas but after the plastering - unless DH decides to pay for it, after all, it is payday on Thursday and not beyond the realms of possibility. He is also talking about putting the outflow pipes under the floor boards himself - at the minute they are on top of the tiles, which is just plain weird. That way we can put the shower cubicle back in and have it on the level with the floor, rather than having a step up to it, as it was and probably had a lot to do with the floor being as rotten as it was.

Now I just have a large amount of toughened glass sheeting to be rid of - might advertise it on freecycle, in case someone is making a coldframe? Otherwise I will take it, and the door currently stored in the back garden, off to the tip.

Today's jobs include, making pasties for lunchboxes and freezing until needed, making a chilli, cleaning the bathrooms again, 3 loads of laundry washed, dried and returned to owners folded to be put away in their drawers (will be found on a shelf/on top of chest of drawers later)

Found a really nice serving dish for one of the kids to give me for Xmas (charity shop £2.99) Have agreed with DH on a budget for £10 for each other for Xmas. Still need to get on with the pickles. Cleaning out the hamsters' cages, and stripping another metre of wall.

I will finish the month with £500.00 left in the bank. That will roll forward for the budget for December and will pay for more than half of the plastering. December is going to be a short month, because payday for DH is 18th, and so January is going to be a very long month with 6 weeks between paydays.

Right, off to make a tea, then get on with it.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • greent
    • By greent 27th Nov 17, 7:17 PM
    • 6,507 Posts
    • 65,678 Thanks
    greent
    Tradesmen..... argh!! you have my total sympathies.....
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1259.72/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 27th Nov 17, 7:27 PM
    • 12,250 Posts
    • 216,223 Thanks
    greenbee
    Mine are behaving at the moment. Came back from a few days away to find most of the floors latexed and the majority of the decorating done. I'm off again tomorrow, so they're going to take the radiators off and paint behind them, finish painting the woodwork (including skirting, architrave and doors before fitting) and then hopefully get the bamboo flooring down.

It'll be interesting to see how far they've got by the time I get back next Monday, but it should be close to finished. They're booked to come back in the NY for a couple of weeks to get the kitchen & utility done ready for fitting a kitchen sometime in the spring... I'm starting to feel quietly optimistic that I will actually get the place finished at some point!
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 28th Nov 17, 7:15 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    We did not check the pipes, after messing about with removing the shower cubicle. DH went for a bath last night and at 10.30 pulled the plug and flooded the kitchen downstairs, he thought the bath was making a funny noise so put the plug back in and went downstairs to check, and was paddling as soon as he was in the kitchen door.

Much flapping and quacking and OMGing followed, but it was quite easily remedied by popping the bath panel off and putting the connection back in, so, the bath drained, and the kitchen ceiling dripped, and all the nasty cleaning towels I relegated for cleaning up were used, and then DH went and got all my nice fluffy towels from the airing cupboard and tried to start mopping up with them!!!

So that was what kept me up last night. Kept waking up and listening to hear if I could hear any dripping. Tired this morning. Washing machine on already for all the towels. DH keeps apologising. Like he did it on purpose! Twit. It happened, we fixed it, nobody died. The ceiling didn;t fall in. We went to bed and slept.

Right, on with the day, most definitely not my favourite way to be roused from my bed.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 28th Nov 17, 9:23 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 1,802 Thanks
    michelle09
    Well he still has another 60 hours or so? If I had the skills to be a tradesman I'd clear up by being punctual!

Eek, well as long as everything is ok in the end. Hopefully that's the end of the dripping.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 28th Nov 17, 12:32 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Sent Mr Plasterer a text this morning, he says he can come the week before Xmas if that is ok.
    Now, not being the utter Xmas Fairy that some people are, having drying plaster the week before xmas does not bother me. And as DH will be off work and not teaching, it will not be a major imposition, and if he doesn't mind plastering with 4 kids around the place, I am happy to be sleeping on the sofa bed for 2 or 3 nights until I can get back in and do the decorating before the kids go back to school!!

Can't help wondering if he said the week before Xmas in the hope that I would say no. Now I am wondering if he will actually turn up............
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 2nd Dec 17, 9:59 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    We have had boiler issues!! Water streaming out of a dirt trap inhibitor thing outside the boiler. Stuck a bucket under it and rang some plumbers, none answered their phones, except one, who said he could be there in 25 minutes, but he charged £90 an hour and had a £78 call out fee. I told him it was ok, I had a bucket. DH came home, had a google, I showed him exactly where the leak was, and 15 minutes later it is now an occasional drip. It will do for now, until we drain the system and can stick in some plumbers tape.

The numbers on the DECEMBER TOTALISER are...........

£108,800.00

and daily interest is now £5.76 I need to find some kind of way to earn £5.76 a day, but I don't have anything to sell and I don't bring in that kind of money for the surveys I do, and I usually only win amazon vouchers rather than cash. It will reduce slightly when we remortgage at the end of February. Plus taking 4 years 11 months off the term.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 2nd Dec 17, 10:14 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    The is up. It is extremely geeky.

I have deathstar baubles and Harry Potter potion bottle lights. Tomorrow I am going to try and marble some of the boring 'normal' baubles with nail varnish so they look like planets.

I have stormtroopers with candy canes baubles and darth vader glitter baubles.

All were YS from Wilk0 last year in the sales. ~Like 15p/20p each

And my charity shop bargain of the day, is a cake tin shaped like a skull, that I want to do a tear and share bread in. So it looks like you are ripping a head open (sorry, it amuses me, I might add a layer of tomato sauce through the middle.) The kids will love it. It makes cooking for kids more fun for me.I am getting so bored of one person each mealtime deciding they are not eating whatever it is I am cooking.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 4th Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    I have been messing with numbers today, and we have paid off £6k of the mortgage capital since January.

So I have updated my signature, and my next goal to aim for is ..... to be sub £105k

£3,800 ex interest. asap.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 4th Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 2,540 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I have been messing with numbers today, and we have paid off £6k of the mortgage capital since January.

So I have updated my signature, and my next goal to aim for is ..... to be sub £105k

£3,800 ex interest. asap.
    Originally posted by f0xh0les
    And you've done a shed load of work to the house too. Raise the trophy, well done you ..

Wish.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 5th Dec 17, 9:31 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Busy day today stripping more wallpaper off the ceilings at the top of the stairs, and the landing on the middle floor. Very boring, but at least you can gauge your progress as you inch your way along the landing. I think I will be at the top of the last set of stairs tomorrow, working my way down towards the front door before the weekend.

Being extremely frugal at the minute. Keeping every penny hostage, but still enjoying being able to make a nice coffee with breakfast.

Getting a nice pile of stuff ready for the next run to the tip. Will aim for taking it this week, it will clear a space nicely.

Really missing my satnav. Will have to ebay a cheap one, as the creepy guy on local fakebook who offered one did not come through with it. I am putting him down as a creepy perv with nothing better to do on a Sunday morning, but try and flirt with strangers. Some people should just take up knitting, or paint tiny miniature fairies with gossamer wings.....

I am slowly burning my way through the 20 odd candles I rescued from Step-gran's pile of stuff for throwing out. I am enjoying destroying a particularly hideous irridescent pink pair at the moment. It also warms the living room nicely.

Tomorrow I am going to -
    wrap the teachers' gifts ready for the 19th.
    arrange a service and mot for around the 20th
    take 4 kids for haircuts after school. They can complain about cold ears while looking smart. I need to get an up to date photo of them all together as a cheap gift for elderly relatives.
    Get a photo taken of all my lovely boys.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 10th Dec 17, 10:22 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    I have stripped NOTHING since Thursday. Sitting on the sofa watching Martin Lewis talking about energy bills and watching the snow fall outside.

The kids have been out in the yard making a snow dog. They are back inside now. slightly soggy and very frozen. They also managed to break the back door

Stupid belt on the tumble snapped, so we have ordered a new one. Should be delivered early next week but I can't line dry as it will freeze and the boys had football on Friday so all PE kits are covered in mud, all trousers are covered in mud, and all radiators in the house are currently covered in damp laundry of the uniform kind.

Edited to clarify - ordered a new belt, not a new tumble.

Snowing!!
    Last edited by f0xh0les; 10-12-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 10th Dec 17, 3:33 PM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 8,556 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    The snow here in Leicester is pretty amazing isn’t it! My kittens have been out in the back garden playing most of the day (now snoozing on he sofa!)

Bad news on the tumble dryer belt- was it costly to get the replacement ordered?
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £2348.20/ £2150 106%. New target £2500 93.9%
    Last 3 months- Oct: £179.60 Nov: £160.33 Dec: £52.33

Emergency fund £4K/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 10th Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Bad news on the tumble dryer belt- was it costly to get the replacement ordered?
    Originally posted by Kittenkirst
    Not at all, it was £5.99, even had the parts number on it so it is definitely the right one.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 11th Dec 17, 12:12 AM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 8,556 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    OH fantastic! You do inspire me to be better at trying DIY type stuff more
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £2348.20/ £2150 106%. New target £2500 93.9%
    Last 3 months- Oct: £179.60 Nov: £160.33 Dec: £52.33

Emergency fund £4K/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 11th Dec 17, 11:07 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    All the kids schools are closed today. Which is silly. But if the teachers' kids' schools are closed, what can they do but stay home with them? There is all of 5cm on the pavements and the roads are clear. Ridiculous how this country closes down at the first sniff of snow.

Today will be a spendy day - I got child benefit this morning so decided to pay off the remaining £150 of DS3s residential in March/April time next year (£250 for 3 days for 9 yr olds for gods' sake. Ridiculous!!) Paid off all balances on credit cards - i am actually using the card to get M&S vouchers rather than just using my normal card. Finally getting the hang of all this free money stuff. Paying it off immediately, but you still get the points plus it is good for your credit score.

Trying to book a service/mot but the man is not getting back to me. boo!!

Need to get on with buying presents and getting them sent. The snow at the weekend made me stay home looking out the window happily.

Might try and strip another meter or so of wallpaper while the kids are busy on screens - bins go out tonight so might as well fill it.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 11th Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    OH fantastic! You do inspire me to be better at trying DIY type stuff more
    Originally posted by Kittenkirst

Changing a belt is easier than putting the drawstring back into a pair of kids' trousers.

If the repair people did not charge such a hideous amount for a 5 minute job, and then seem apologetic about having to charge so much it would not be so bad. So the one and only time I paid for a repair man out for a dryer, I made him show me where all the innards were, and got dH to watch him do the job.

After that, DH has been happy to Utube and give it a go. TVs, dryers, radiators, pumps (hit it with a hammer) , leaks and drips, have all been successfully made to work without needing to pay someone indecent amounts of money (I only take cash darling!!) and usually for less than a tenner.

Tomorrow is DHs last teaching day, he has mice pie'd the office admin staff already. It stopped me eating them - and I would have wolfed the whole packet,- so -lb saving if not £ saving.

So he will be on admin/marking duty and thus grumpy.
    Bah Humbug.
    He has sacked off the department Xmas meal too.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 11th Dec 17, 8:31 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Grrrr. the belt is on, but not turning. put it all back together after an hour's tinkering, will continue tomorrow when not so tired. Probably forgot some clip somewhere.
    Annoying, but not a catastrophe.

Stripped another 2 widths of wallpaper while the kids stared at screens. Next ones are going down the stairs and the ceiling above it. All the death defying bits . Eeek!
    Made a small overpayment on the mortgage too - £51 to make it tidy and remove all of this month's interest, plus a little extra off the top.

Blimey it is chilly now. Keep warm
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 11th Dec 17, 8:51 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    The primary school is closed tomorrow, the High school will decide later tonight or early tomorrow morning. We have -7 forecast for tonight, with an 8am forecast for -6.

Brrr
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,147Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter