Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 12th Aug 16, 1:55 PM
    • 1,097Posts
    • 8,089Thanks
    f0xh0les
    22 Foxhole East
    • 12th Aug 16, 1:55 PM
    22 Foxhole East 12th Aug 16 at 1:55 PM
    I just made my first mortgage overpayment.

We bought a 5 bed Victorian terraced house in the East Midlands in April 16 that has been badly neglected. It needs everything doing, it has been let out on a room by room basis and used as a rental machine. Now it is our family house (4 kids = one bedroom each!!).

So far I have replaced 2 Velux on the attic floor so the rain stays on the outside (very rotten frames)

Have had a full electrical rewire as the wiring was underneath the wallpaper - not boxed or chased in, just behind the wallpaper and skirting boards. Got a shiny certificate and everything now!

Decorated 4 kids bedrooms and put down new carpets in 3 of them

On the still to do list for this year

- new roof and insulation - nails degrading! Snow could cause a huge problem. Better get it sorted really.

- New shower and bathroom flooring - water damage, holes in floors (!) we should have moved the bath mats when we were viewing, they hid a lot of damage.

Plastering and decorating.

Nice carpets!!

Shelves!

That will be the two top floors done and I can kid myself I am 2/3rds of the way finished

Not attempting anything on the ground floor until 2017 - so no talk of log burners,knocking down walls, kitchens, damp proof courses, shower rooms or the like. That way lies madness, shhhhh, next year, at some point...

So, let's talk money.
    House cost £160,000
    Deposit was £41,315 (sale of previous nasty Manchester Foxhole)
    Amount borrowed £118,685

We got a 1.94 % fixed for 2 years with Accord which rises to something ridiculous like 7% so remortgage time in 2018

We will repay £1.82 for every £1 borrowed over the 26.5 year life of the mortgage unless I overpay

I have just rung Accord, found out I can repay up to 10% of the total amount borrowed (each year without penalty), can make as many overpayments as I like per month without penalty, but cannot check on the balance online. I have to ring up a silly automated 0345 number that will tell me what the balance is! I will have to remember to ring it on my mobile so it is free.

Monthly Mortgage repayment £467.00
    An overpayment of £200 a month would knock 10.5 years off the life of the mortgage.

We are planning on spending 5 years living here, and them moving elsewhere due to the nature of DH's work. So, lets see how much I can throw at this mortgage.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
Page 25
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 10th Oct 17, 7:18 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 8,089 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    As the world of higher education is a strange and incomprehensible beast, and that he has teaching commitments until Easter, and that he would never leave the students or the Uni in the lurch, I have at least until end of term June-ish. I know him, and can usually tell when he is complaining and when he has actually had enough. This one surprised me as I thought he would be ok sticking it out for the next 2 years. But he has worked at 5 Universities over the last 6 years, and knows what is usually put on to the academics, and what is taken off them so that they are able to write the lectures and deliver them and give the kids the best education, and his workload is massive as he is teaching the compulsory modules, some of which have 250 plus students on, and he is being drowned in admin.

The Uni has been remiss in hiring lecturers/teaching assistants over the summer to cover lecturers going off on study /book writing leave, and DH can teach practically everything. But there is no point in making himself sick, and he loves his job.

Luckily the whole Uni recruitment process is ridiculously painfully slow.
    Good job as I can't afford to get the place sorted at a drop of a hat. I am looking at saving £500, getting a workman in, saving £400 getting carpet put down... etc. I It will be pretty unrecognisable by Christmas though, my aim is having the house totally sorted from the top floor to the bottom step. Watch this space!

Selling the Salford house taught me a lot. But my more importantly I am now not going to get rid of the metal shelving units. They are going to go live in the shed.

We have been here since May 2016 Wishing so he has really given me a 10 months heads up. 10 months!!!!! We were only going to stay here for another 2 or 4 years, as we were thinking GCSE schedules.

It is now no longer Operation Making a Home, it is now Operation Tart Up to sell.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 10th Oct 17, 8:22 AM
    • 718 Posts
    • 6,251 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    You are so productive and work so hard. I see no issues in you completing in this time scale. Money obviously is the only factor it's expensive decorating even if you do it yourself. Keep posting love reading your posts. It does make me feel quite lazy with what you pack into your day.
    MFIT T4 40
    MFIT Challenge save £40k
    £55526:/36617/18909
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 10th Oct 17, 8:30 AM
    • 647 Posts
    • 2,567 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I stand in admiration of you Fox, I have, this morning just sent a message to our odd job lady asking her about hanging doors, a job I'm sure you would tackle in a jiffy, but I am more your hubby's end of the practical ability continuum.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 10th Oct 17, 10:22 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 8,089 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    I can take them off an d put them back on, but I can't reverse them.

This morning I have taken the kids to school, swung past Ald1 for teabags, can't afford Twinnigs tea this month (well I can, but I won't) so have cheapy 75p bags instead of £3 bags. Went to B&Q and got a big piece of particle board and chopped it to size and put it in the middle of DH's linen press so I can shove all his rucksacks into the top of it without them falling and blocking the drawers. It is not pretty, but it works for right now. And why does anyone need 9 rucksacks???? and three carry on sized suitcases?? The man is a hoarder! The menace. Anyway I can't see it now as it is all packed away behind the doors.

Posted on R4ted pe0ple for a plasterer to come quote. So there, the job is out there in the ether, they can come to me.

On today's list of fun and frolics (apart from the above) is making a lemon tart (from a packet and using up a pack of ginger biscuits the kids complained were too spicy) creme carmelle (from a packet- why not) luxury granola from cheapy muesli (extra dried fruit, nuts, a handful of desecrated coconut and some cinnamon plus a handful of sugar and 3 tablespoons of oil) and a cherry sponge just cos it makes me laugh. Pantry and fridge inventory, menu plans and the ceremonial cleaning out of the hamster cages (glamour!). Plus cleaning, hoovering and trying not to get into any more trouble than absolutely necessary.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 10th Oct 17, 9:07 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 8,089 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    The ceremonial sawdust strewing did not happen today.
    Will have to be shunted onto tomorrow's list. Poor hamsters

Nobody has contacted me about my plastering job. Not even to arrange to look and quote.

Mysteriously I only have 2 creme carmelles left. Also, half the lemon tart evaporated. The curry was a definite success (spinach, chickpea, and coconut). The two smallest had pittas and hummus instead. It would have blown their heads off. The granola is LUSH. I no longer have almonds or packet mixes for puddings. But I do have a menu plan for the next TEN main meals and all breakfasts.

PiL are being pains in the a5trobar. Well did you ever!

They are threatening to fly over now, on an undisclosed date, for an undisclosed amount of time, and are angling to stay here ( the hotel is so far away ! - a 10 minute walk, less than a mile) If they cannot walk a mile maybe they should stay put until FiL is fully healed and fit as a flea again? This is not going to end well, and then tonight, DH is on the phone to them (they no longer speak to me) and asks if I have plans for the end of the half term holidays - my comment that I did have but I had to cancel our holiday to Wales did not get relayed.

Child Tax credit comes in on Friday Child benefit comes in on Monday, after Monday I am back on track budget-wise.

Will post this quickly before it disappears.....
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 11th Oct 17, 12:00 AM
    • 647 Posts
    • 2,567 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I'm grrrrrring for you Fox, if the In laws won't speak to you on the phone, why on earth do they want to stay with you? (That's meant to be a comment on them, not you, but it's come across terribly wrong) maybe I should just give up now....
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 11th Oct 17, 7:08 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 8,089 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Why do they want to stay with me? Cos I am lovely innit?

So they can spy on me and complain about the kids getting up at 6am? To complain the kids make noise? To complain they play on computers, to not be able to complain about the food, which i bend over backwards to make sure 90% of what is on the table is suitable for mil. To complain the beds are too hard/soft/narrow and then the sofabed is too uncomfortable, and goes on and on and on about it.

She firmly believes family should make room for other family members and that it is an insult to be asked to stay in a hotel Basically she is only happy if I give up MY bed for her, honestly, no other bed will do. She is spoilt.

She wants to see HER son and HER grandchildren in HIS house. So she can brag..
    Basically she is a deluded nutjob.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 12th Oct 17, 7:53 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 8,089 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    I got a bite! A plastery type wants to come and quote. Will give me a ballpark figure.

That'll be nice.

No news on a date for the descent of the in-laws.

Stripping the Hall Stairs and Landing and filling holes. Very boring but was fun to see DH's horrified face when he wandered upstairs at bedtime.

Made pasties this morning for lunchboxes. Cooling in the kitchen right now.

Hamster palaces will be cleaned out as soon as I get home - DS3 has a dental appt this morning, and I have 2 parents evening appts after school. DS2 has ANOTHER hour detention after school tonight ( still no further into what is going on in his head - it mostly seems to be for chatting in class and forgetting his ruler but behaviour points add up)

Had a text to say the blinds have been made and will be delivered in the next 48 hours. Bet I will be out!
    Got passport photos done for DS2 and 4. Went into the school office and asked if anyone at school could sign my countersignature bit, the Head was in the office and said No,her passport had expired, I was not asking HER I was asking if ANYONE in the building was able to do it. She suggested someone's Dad on the playground who might do it, that I don't know! DH does everyone else's but he can't do his own kids!! Anyway, one of the Mums on the playground (who really doesn't now me from Adam, and def not my name) is sorting it for me for which I am grateful. Honestly!! It is only renewing a kid's passport photo, not changing his name, and it is all linked to mine and DH's passports anyway. It is rather ridiculous, but then if we did not move as often as we do, it would not be a problem. Luckily we have been here for 2 years and 3 months, otherwise I would be properly scuppered .

Anyway, on with the day.....
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 20th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 8,089 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    I have been busy. All the holes in my room have now been filled. Will need a little sanding but if I buy a paint for ‘naughty’walls I may be ok. The only way to find out is to try it. Fingers crossed.

DS 2 is being a complete sw1ne. He is horrid. The language that comes out of that boy’s mouth is vile. Then when you call him on it, he shouts ‘child abuse.!’ Taking away his computer game is child abuse, sending him to his room is child abuse, not making him his favorite food is child abuse. He is stealing his brothers’ things and hurting them. I feel more like a referee than a mum right now. Boarding school is looking good right now. Hoping he catches himself on soon. There are consequences to his actions, he just has to link his actions to the resulting consequences, but he just does not seem to care.

I have put up the two blackout blinds on the top floor,so the only jobs left on the top floor are fixing the plaster around 2 velux and filling a few hole on the stairs before decorating and carpetting. Which I cannot yet afford.

My bedroom ceiling needs attention but not at £600 for reboarding and skim(!) so will fill, sand and paint and see if I can make it look ok-for-now. That will allow me to redecorate and put up the blinds that came yesterday. Then it will only need carpetting. Which I cannot yet afford.

DH is working on a Saturday doing an open day lecture. So he is not around until Sunday. Probably for the best really, as DS2 is being so rotten.

I feel really poor this month.
    My bank balance went down with the double glazing, then the shock of a £3k plastering quote made me feel poor (must get more quotes), then £100 for 2 kids passports needing renewing, and £150 on blinds, and £80 on school swimming lessons and after school clubs and next year’s residential trip for DS3. Then DS1s birthday and sticking £200 in to DH’s bank account (that he has not mentioned) It is all adding up, and although I am able to pay for it all, and still have a positive bank balance , just the fear that something may pop up and trip me up is terrifying. Will have to pay dentist this week too. October seems to be very long this year. Payday is not for another 11days.

Will spend on paint and start on the woodwork when the kids go back to school. White paint makes rooms look much bigger than brown varnish.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 20th Oct 17, 1:25 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 8,089 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    The in-laws rang on the Thursday before half term to say they were not coming.

They have given a date in February instead.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 20th Oct 17, 1:27 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 8,089 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    £20 l0ve2sh0p voucher came through the door this morning.

Have put it aside for Xmas.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 20th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    badmemory
    The in-laws rang on the Thursday before half term to say they were not coming.

They have given a date in February instead.
    Originally posted by f0xh0les
    Perhaps next time you move you could forget to give them your new address?

No I know you couldn't really but I bet you enjoyed that moment as the thought crossed your mind!
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 20th Oct 17, 6:49 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 8,089 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    The fortnight we are without a phone line when we move is rather nice.
    I am starting to think DH keeps on messing it up on purpose.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 20th Oct 17, 7:44 PM
    • 6,644 Posts
    • 48,699 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Now you have passports, could you drop in on them unexpectedly... And maybe leave ds2 with them for a while...
    NST DDD#1; NSD 9/15; Ex 4/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove 6/31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 26th Oct 17, 11:46 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 8,089 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    All Blinds up and working on top floor
    Bookcase made for DS3s room in an awkward space under his window, with some spare leftover mdf sheets from last bookshelf making project. He is delighted. Less bits of MDF lying about the place.
    3 bedside lamps bought, two working, one needs a bulb still. Who puts a dead bulb back in the packet and puts it back with live ones??
    Living room curtains shortened and now are sitting neatlyat the same level as the window sill rather than puddled on it.
    Found lots of candles in a plastic bag inside a box on a shelving unit. Liberated them all and they are in the living room waiting for me to burn them all up.

Feel like I have a cold. Boo!

Have discovered the bedroom ceiling has lost pretty much all key to the laths. Have bitten the frog and will be getting more plasterers to come and quote.

Dropped the kids regular savers down from £400 a month to £280 a month. I save £100 for each year each kid has been on the planet and recycle it into the 4% accounts - will owe DS1 £300 and DS2 £100 when they mature in March. Will transfer all the money into their bank accounts and might just leave it there this time. I am feeling unappreciated. DS1 has taken to his cave and is only seen at mealtimes.
    DS2 is being vile – he told me to FROG OFF last night. First time ever. I am so angry at him. Twit.
    DS3 & 4 are so busy with after school clubs the like that they just want to come home and eat and watch tv, so they are very easy, but they are starting to be a little disrespectful. They seem to think it is my job to pick up after them and do nothing but feed them constantly, while asking them to pick up their own socks is somehow child abuse and tantamount to modern slavery. They only have to go as far as the laundry basket on the landing outside their bedrooms. It is not miles away. But no. Harsh and unreasonable treatment apparently. Bad me.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 26th Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 8,089 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Now you have passports, could you drop in on them unexpectedly... And maybe leave ds2 with them for a while...
    Originally posted by apple muncher

DH says he does not live in the same country as them for a good reason. Bit far to go just for a cuppa. And the housedust is so bad it sets off my allergies.
    Besides,they are not happy with a brief visit, they want at least a week.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 26th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 8,089 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Surprise £96 of after school clubs, not including the residential and swimming lessons. Will have to rethink this. On the plus side there is no more to be paid out for the primary school kids until next year -except for Xmas jumper day - we do not do Xmas jumpers, so jumpers needed. boo.

Anyway, it has been paid. This month will end with me still having about £100 left in the bank. If I had not reduced the kids' regular savers amount, I would be £20 into my overdraft. One credit card bill has been paid in full, not sure if I bought anything on CC2 this month. Will wait and see when I get the statement.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 29th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 8,089 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    The house is very tidy right now, and all the beds except DS1’s have been laundered. The rotter has not brought his stuff down.....
    All homework has been completed.
    The fridge is clean and full of lovely veg, the freezer is full of fruit pies (6p) and nice bread rolls (3p) and crumpets (3p) and nice things to make proper meals out of.

£55 left in the bank to last until payday on Tuesday, so realistically that is totally do-able.

I really, really do not feel comfortable without having a safety net in the bank.

This week I will properly get plasterers round to quote – first thing Monday morning after dropping the kids, I will be on the phone arranging appointments. Then at least I can have a proper idea how much all the jobs will cost to do both individually and together. And book in what I can afford to have done before Xmas. This has to be done. I wanted to have the plastering, windows, and bathroom done byXmas and decorated, but I can’f afford it.
    So I am going to have to re-evaluate, the windows are done, and brilliant. The plastering is the next on the list, and if I don’t have enough left over for the bathroom, then the kids’ regular savers accounts mature in March – and should be over £4k, which I will ask them if I can borrow to fix the bathroom, so that will be done by Easter.
    BUT, the mortgage deal comes to an end in February, so there might be a valuation going on before the bathroom is done. I just wanted to have the house sorted down to the bottom stair tread, before the remortgage valuation. It is so disappointing. But, there is still plentyof stuff I can do to make the house look better before 2018.

DH rang his bank, to enquire about the remortgage, and they seemed to think it would not be a problem at all and that he would be able to borrow 6x his salary (we are asking for £108k so just over 2x) – which was totally odd considering the messing about we had to do through a mortgage broker to get the deal we have now. But he has been with his bank for YEARS and they can see how his spending pattern is, and that he is saving over £400 a month and has not touched his overdraft in over a year, and has paid off his credit card in full every month too.
    Actually, thinking about it, I wonder when HIS fixed rate regular saver matures?
    Will have to ask him later. And remind him about making that appointment to meet the bank too.

Right, I have a plan, and a lot of things I can make – like a footstool that needs a cover, and some new cushion covers, and a back door curtain, that I have all the stuff I need to complete, and will make a dent in my stash of fabric, and should not cost me anything to do.

I cleared another box of random stuff this weekend, now all the boxes fit on one single shelving unit. And I have two shelving units in the downstairs bathroom I am going to take down this week and hide in a cupboard, and a hanging rail that will receive the same treatment. Freeing up so much more space ,to flow freely through the house.

Ok, that has cleared my mind of worry, and made me feel more confident in my abilty to do this.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 31st Oct 17, 7:05 AM
    • 647 Posts
    • 2,567 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    An inspiration as always Fox.
    I also admire your parenting approach - don't bring the washing down, bed doesn't get changed. Your children are going to go very far in life.

Have a great week.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 31st Oct 17, 10:25 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 8,089 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    An inspiration as always Fox.
    I also admire your parenting approach - don't bring the washing down, bed doesn't get changed. Your children are going to go very far in life.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    As far as the washing machine anyway!

You are very kind.

The kids are acting up quite a bit at the moment. I think it is a mixture of the change of season, two exciting birthdays quite close together, and tiredness after a week off at half term.

There are lots of tears and tantrums coming thick and fast, and you can tell they are thinking about that fat bearded dude in December.

That and Mr Small came home with a single spot of ringworm behind his ear. So quickly Daktarin'ed it and covered it. Told school who said I should take him to the Drs. We had already treated it, it is not something that he needs to stay off school for. It is horrifically contagious, but I caught it quickly, and luckily it was somewhere easy to spot just behind his ear, and I researched every single rash that kids get when DS1 came down with his unexplained 'self limiting viral non fungal non-virus' rash two months ago. Go me!!
    Might have to rename it the House of Pox at this rate.
    Postman will love it.
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

2,814Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin