Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 12th Aug 16, 1:55 PM
    • 1,049Posts
    • 7,709Thanks
    f0xh0les
    22 Foxhole East
    • 12th Aug 16, 1:55 PM
    22 Foxhole East 12th Aug 16 at 1:55 PM
    I just made my first mortgage overpayment.

We bought a 5 bed Victorian terraced house in the East Midlands in April 16 that has been badly neglected. It needs everything doing, it has been let out on a room by room basis and used as a rental machine. Now it is our family house (4 kids = one bedroom each!!).

So far I have replaced 2 Velux on the attic floor so the rain stays on the outside (very rotten frames)

Have had a full electrical rewire as the wiring was underneath the wallpaper - not boxed or chased in, just behind the wallpaper and skirting boards. Got a shiny certificate and everything now!

Decorated 4 kids bedrooms and put down new carpets in 3 of them

On the still to do list for this year

- new roof and insulation - nails degrading! Snow could cause a huge problem. Better get it sorted really.

- New shower and bathroom flooring - water damage, holes in floors (!) we should have moved the bath mats when we were viewing, they hid a lot of damage.

Plastering and decorating.

Nice carpets!!

Shelves!

That will be the two top floors done and I can kid myself I am 2/3rds of the way finished

Not attempting anything on the ground floor until 2017 - so no talk of log burners,knocking down walls, kitchens, damp proof courses, shower rooms or the like. That way lies madness, shhhhh, next year, at some point...

So, let's talk money.
    House cost £160,000
    Deposit was £41,315 (sale of previous nasty Manchester Foxhole)
    Amount borrowed £118,685

We got a 1.94 % fixed for 2 years with Accord which rises to something ridiculous like 7% so remortgage time in 2018

We will repay £1.82 for every £1 borrowed over the 26.5 year life of the mortgage unless I overpay

I have just rung Accord, found out I can repay up to 10% of the total amount borrowed (each year without penalty), can make as many overpayments as I like per month without penalty, but cannot check on the balance online. I have to ring up a silly automated 0345 number that will tell me what the balance is! I will have to remember to ring it on my mobile so it is free.

Monthly Mortgage repayment £467.00
    An overpayment of £200 a month would knock 10.5 years off the life of the mortgage.

We are planning on spending 5 years living here, and them moving elsewhere due to the nature of DH's work. So, lets see how much I can throw at this mortgage.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
Page 21
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 2nd Sep 17, 7:55 AM
    • 12,218 Posts
    • 215,972 Thanks
    greenbee
    I never plan but do at least need to stay until I've finished Like you, it does depend on work - at the moment location doesn't matter as i'm home-based, but that won't necessarily always be the case.

I do think though, that with houses, unless you are planning on doing them up purely to sell and move on (which I'm not sure is as profitable as some people like to think), you need to do what you want to make it the place YOU want to live in. I planned 5 years in the last house and stayed 13. As a result I redid some of what I'd already done (not just maintenance).

So do what you need to in order to make the house the home you and the boys (and DH...) need. As with mine, whatever you do is going to be an improvement on what you started with from a resale perspective

As for the mortgage... the reason it's gone down that much is because it's so huge. But it will start to speed up, and the thought of being able to start over paying is motivating as far as getting the work done (although I expect that'll wear off after a few days of builders...)

Keep looking out for that camper van...
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 3rd Sep 17, 8:00 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Was feeling pretty good today, right up until I put the kids' school uniform in the tumble dryer and wandered off to make a really nice cinnamon and pear upside down cake - it was lovely.

Sadly the 10 month old replacement H0tp0int dryer I got for £99, as the old one was recalled due to the fire hazard thing, has died.

Error F01 - circuit board error.

Did all the turning off and turning on again things. Not playing ball.

I was just wondering, considering I have hardly used it over summer, and the rest of the time it could, realistically be used at least every other day during a wet autumn and winter, if I was not responsible for an 'abnormally large family', it would be about 4 months out of its 1 yr warranty if it were to be used by a 'typical' family. Hmm. Considering the one it replaced was about 5 years old and I had had to have the bearings replaced as I had worn them away. It does not seem to be as good a bargain as I first thought.

Anyway, I have sent emails to the relevant departments, will let you know if I am successful in my efforts to get it fixed for free. It should be under the 1 year manufacturers warranty. I hope it is anyway or I shall have to get Martin's SADFART rules out.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 5th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Well today I managed to save £3500. !!

Sadly it was because the window fitters refused to do the job without scaffold, which was included on the work sheet, but was the wrong type of scaffold, and not put up. So after 2 hours of waiting, the company building control chappie turns up and says nope, extra £500 please.

So I said I would think about it, knowing full well that the company makes its own windows to order, and mine were already made and sitting in the van waiting to go in.
    So now I sit and wait for the company to get back to me.

I did find the whole thing quite funny actually. Must be my perverse sense of the absurd.
    Came back from he morning school run to find men in their van looking surly, refusing to make eye contact, so I offered them a cuppa, and a sofa to sit on - they took the tea but refused the sofa and sat in their van for 2 hours with the rain chucking it down.

So, I am not yet glazed, but I have met two more grumpy tradesmen to add to my list.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 5th Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    • 12,218 Posts
    • 215,972 Thanks
    greenbee
    Good luck... hopefully they'll see sense. Why on earth didn't they quote for the correct scaffolding in the first place?

My builder is here - garage doors are sanded and knotting being applied. Hopefully he'll also get the airing cupboard floor done as I've cleared it out.

Plan is to start work on the rest of downstairs 2nd half of October, and do whatever we can in two months. This of course is all dependent on the outstanding items being finished by then, and his other jobs completing on time. But at least something will be done by two weeks before Christmas!

And my cleaner will move from Tuesday mornings to Friday after work so she can clean up after them. She's also going to do some 'overtime' helping me pack/unpack/repack as we move things around the house. So hopefully it won't be too unbearable.

Main flooring decision is made - bamboo. Just need to decide on tiles. And get someone to quote for putting a stove in.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 5th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Just put in a call to my happy scaffolder I have used before, who chuntered on my behalf for the double glazing company's mistake, asked who they were and then fell about the place laughing as he is their scaffolding contractor.

Hopefully will work out cheaper going direct and possibly even cheaper for cash.

Small world.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 5th Sep 17, 12:56 PM
    • 12,218 Posts
    • 215,972 Thanks
    greenbee
    At least they hadn't started taking the old windows out!

I remember having mine done (all 17). Dust, mess, noise, but well worth it!
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 5th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    We did say to them that they could start doing the ones on the ground floor while they were waiting for the other building control guy to come, but they said they did not like starting a job and then having to come back a week later to finish it.

It was raining.
    I think that was a major contributing factor.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 5th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 12,218 Posts
    • 215,972 Thanks
    greenbee
    Yep, my builder has just gone home because he can't do anything more in the rain.

Didn't bother to mention a couple of small indoor bits as CBA right now. He can do them next time. What I must do is get the whiteboard out with his list on it. I'm not here on Friday, but he'll be back to do some outside work, so I'm hoping he'll take the TV ariel off the chimney while he's there.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 5th Sep 17, 6:06 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Scaffold will be £350, I rang the windows people and asked how much they charged on the quote for using their tower, they hurriedly put me on hold and made up the sum of £100, so I told them to take that off the bill as I was supplying the scaffold. So have saved nearly £300, but still it has cost me £250 extra, which is not too shoddy for 3 flights of scaffold for a couple of days.

All in, it will make the job go faster, be safer for the window bunnies, and hopefully will be scheduled for next week while DH is away, so mentally putting that away in the 'not to be worried about right now' file.

Tumble dryer fixing bunny should be coming tomorrow to fix the stupid bloody thing. Hopefully that job will be struck off the list.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 5th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 12,218 Posts
    • 215,972 Thanks
    greenbee
    Well done on the scaffolding. Make sure you check the bill carefully.

It's nice getting jobs off the list isn't it?
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    No jobs off the list yet! Not until they are totally completed.

Scaffold to go up the end of next week for window bunnies (there will be three of them now!) to start Monday 18th. It will take 2 days.

Tumble bunny came this morning, yes it is broken, they don't carry circuit boards as 9 times out of 10 they can just reset them, I am the 10th time. So he has ordered a new one and a new heating element as well as it is out warranty in 5 weeks and if that is what tripped the board, I might as well have peace of mind.

So waiting on an appointment for that, and no dryer of a few days.

Step-Gran taken into hospital last night with suspected dehydration after a tummy bug, so might have to head over there and play Florence.

It is a really bad time as DH is booked to go away for a week from Monday-Sunday. The kids are back at school , I know she has not done it on purpose. Poor old duck. Just bad timing. Oh well, I will sort it out.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 6th Sep 17, 12:05 PM
    • 12,218 Posts
    • 215,972 Thanks
    greenbee
    The jobs may not be done, but as far as I'm concerned, once I've booked them, I've done my bit (for a while!).

I need to get some lists sorted. Think it might be time to get the whiteboards up with one for the builder and one for me. I keep forgetting what I need to decide on (flooring, bathroom mirrors/lighting from last year/year before, curtain poles etc). So I've been buying plants. Much easier

Good luck juggling step-gran, kids and DH as well as the builders.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    I wish it were as easy to get them done as it is to book them in.

Got a text off a friend this morning who had a decorator booked for today who has called in sick, her car broke down, she has no heating and is waiting for the engineer to get the part, and is having to put off the flooring guy now as all the above have happened.

She did get the double glazing and plastering done over summer though, so she is at least ahead of me.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    On the plus side Step-gran has just been discharged from hospital as the fluids IV perked her up and she wants to go home, so I made sure her carers will be in for her afternoon and bedtime calls tonight.

Phones are a total godsend - how would we arrange things without them.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 8th Sep 17, 7:56 AM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Morning!

Did a quick search on MSE remortgage tool, DH's bank came out tops on the first three options, so got him to ring and ask. For some ungodly reason they seemed to think they would happily lend him up to £240k. Guess we sorted his credit rating then. We only want £107ish but it would mean 27 months at just under 1.5% and monthly payments would be £40 less, so an automatic overpayment of £60 from DH a month (he would keep his monthly payment the same as it is now) before my overpayments. So all very exciting, but until it is written down I am trying not to get too excited. Might have to open an account with the Shanghai bank, which I said I would never do again as they royally annoyed me - about 15 years ago.

Child benefit came in this morning, so there will be money in my purse for the week, and enough food in the kitchen to do us the week DH is away

I bought Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 at the supermarket this week, it was £10. They all laughed their socks off. It is such a good fun film. And cheaper than taking them all to the cinema, even at cheapy kids club. Now I am waiting for Wonder Woman to be released on DVD.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 9th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Bleh!! What an awful night! DH has a cold and has spent the last 4 nights snoring his head off. I went to bed at 11pm,was woken by an earache with DS4 at 1am and a nosebleed from DS 3 at 2am and then I was wide awake at 5.30, so I got up.

MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 9th Sep 17, 7:57 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 47,926 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Oh my! Hope you get a better night tonight. I have been known to send dh to the spare room when he coughs and splutters all night.
    NST November #; NSD 13/17; Ex 9/12; craft 19/30 (247); remove 601
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3484/£4050; 2
    017 sell 174

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 10th Sep 17, 6:31 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    DH has gone off to Holland and I won't see him until Sunday night when he will be fit for nothing and have a huge pile of laundry.

As the double glazing will be starting on Monday at around 8.30, he will not be able to laze around either. Poor thing, I sent him off with a large supply of lemsip and he took every nakd bar in the house in case he could not forage for food. Honestly! Vegan food is everywhere.

Went a bit mad this morning, I have baked doughballs to go with tomato and red pepper soup for lunch, scones, a seedcake, cupcakes and a crumble. Lunchboxes for tomorrow are sorted then.

Also put two blinds back up, and did some ironing - something I very very very rarely do.

PE kits packed and homework all sorted by 11am, ready for school tomorrow and I already have a list made of what I want to get done.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 10th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 2,243 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    You are super mum.

I am in awe
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 10th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 7,709 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    You are super mum.

I am in awe
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway

It is only mentioned as it so rarely happens, but thank you. Homework is usually accompanied by snot and tears, wailing and gnashing of teeth. Takes much longer for all that than it actually takes them to do it, but I think they decided to behave as the house softy is away.

Sacked off the idea of pizza for supper after they decimated the crumble and about 15 doughballs each with the soup, so we all had tea and scones, and the boys also had seed cake and pretzels and raided the fruitbowl while watching The Pink Panther.

So now I am sat here in the living room with candles (takes the slight edge off the room and means I am only in a Tshirt and still comfortable, and waiting for the eldest two to finish in the bathroom so I can go to bed and read my book with the radio on.

Tonight I will sleep with the radio on, something I don't do with DH as he says it stops him sleeping - he says he sleeps badly every night though anyway, he always wakes up tired The shipping forecast might even sort him out.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

410Posts Today

3,393Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin