Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 12th Aug 16, 1:55 PM
    • 822Posts
    • 5,795Thanks
    f0xh0les
    22 Foxhole East
    • 12th Aug 16, 1:55 PM
    22 Foxhole East 12th Aug 16 at 1:55 PM
    I just made my first mortgage overpayment.

We bought a 5 bed Victorian terraced house in the East Midlands in April 16 that has been badly neglected. It needs everything doing, it has been let out on a room by room basis and used as a rental machine. Now it is our family house (4 kids = one bedroom each!!).

So far I have replaced 2 Velux on the attic floor so the rain stays on the outside (very rotten frames)

Have had a full electrical rewire as the wiring was underneath the wallpaper - not boxed or chased in, just behind the wallpaper and skirting boards. Got a shiny certificate and everything now!

Decorated 4 kids bedrooms and put down new carpets in 3 of them

On the still to do list for this year

- new roof and insulation - nails degrading! Snow could cause a huge problem. Better get it sorted really.

- New shower and bathroom flooring - water damage, holes in floors (!) we should have moved the bath mats when we were viewing, they hid a lot of damage.

Plastering and decorating.

Nice carpets!!

Shelves!

That will be the two top floors done and I can kid myself I am 2/3rds of the way finished

Not attempting anything on the ground floor until 2017 - so no talk of log burners,knocking down walls, kitchens, damp proof courses, shower rooms or the like. That way lies madness, shhhhh, next year, at some point...

So, let's talk money.
    House cost 160,000
    Deposit was 41,315 (sale of previous nasty Manchester Foxhole)
    Amount borrowed 118,685

We got a 1.94 % fixed for 2 years with Accord which rises to something ridiculous like 7% so remortgage time in 2018

We will repay 1.82 for every 1 borrowed over the 26.5 year life of the mortgage unless I overpay

I have just rung Accord, found out I can repay up to 10% of the total amount borrowed (each year without penalty), can make as many overpayments as I like per month without penalty, but cannot check on the balance online. I have to ring up a silly automated 0345 number that will tell me what the balance is! I will have to remember to ring it on my mobile so it is free.

Monthly Mortgage repayment 467.00
    An overpayment of 200 a month would knock 10.5 years off the life of the mortgage.

We are planning on spending 5 years living here, and them moving elsewhere due to the nature of DH's work. So, lets see how much I can throw at this mortgage.
    MFW May118,340 A117 S116 N115, D114 J114 Feb 113,500 M 112,800 A112,250 MAY 111,600 - next goal- 110k) SPC #59 Very Special Agent Womble #15 NST#9 Competition wins..a kids book Free Amazon vouchers 13 YouGov 1.25 (50 June) Tesco 15.00 Mr Morris 20
Page 16
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 25th Mar 17, 7:53 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 5,795 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Today I got rid of two 6' bookcases. One was shabby, so I put it outside the house in the front garden with a 'Take me I'm Free' sign on it last night. It went just after 6pm today.

Then I Fakebooked the other one for 10, someone came and took it at 6pm, and I have reclaimed half, yes half!! the hallway which is now looking very tidy and wide. I have another box of bits and things for the charity shop that needs to go next week.

I have enough wood and screws to put up a few more shelves, which is on the cards in the immediate future.

Can't seem to shake the fuzzy head though. I am putting it down to hayfever and anti-histamines, hopefully it will b8gger off soon. I am bored of it already. Can't do much with waves of nausea and strange not-quite-dizziness-but definitely-not-right-in-the-headedness.
    So I baked this morning while I felt ok, did a pile of scones, a whole big jar of granola and cornish pasties. So when the wibbly-wobblyness hit at 5.30, it was all prepared and ready to go, easy supper and pudding. Probably will not be a single scone left by breakfast time though. Mind you, not much point in baking things that won't get eaten.

Tomorrow will involve making a bakewell tart for lunchboxes and a chocolate cake for after school snack.

Had a lovely afternoon on the sofa with Wallace and Gromit and Brave - I had never seen Brave before. Youngest curled up next to me like a cat. The others were all on the xbox or computers. Kids don't seem to get homework anymore, well, the primary ones get homework, but it is no more than 10 minutes work, the older ones just don't seem to get any.

As it was a lovely sunny day here I got three loads of laundry line dried, and all the windows open so the house is aired and fresh.

I have the feeling that soon I am going to be able to see an improvement after all my diy and tidying. The storm is passing and there will be calm soon. Not yet, but it is coming. Slowly making progress.....

Also cleaned out and washed the hamster cages. The kids have mostly lost interest, only wanting to feed them, not look after them, but we all knew that was going to happen.
    MFW May118,340 A117 S116 N115, D114 J114 Feb 113,500 M 112,800 A112,250 MAY 111,600 - next goal- 110k) SPC #59 Very Special Agent Womble #15 NST#9 Competition wins..a kids book Free Amazon vouchers 13 YouGov 1.25 (50 June) Tesco 15.00 Mr Morris 20
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 26th Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 6,602 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Sounds like a lovely afternoon of film watching with your youngest . I do love the film Brave- when I first watched it it felt like the first film in ages I'd seen where a female character was gutsy and bold!
    Emergency savings- 3005. /4000
    Mortgage Oct '16- 170.995 LTV- 90% end date Nov 2041
    2016 OPs 255.50/150
    2017 MFW #20 - OP 1369.78/ 2150. 63.7%
    Jan- 68.21, Feb- 306.67, March- 272.01 April-324.05 May 120.33 June 278.51
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 26th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    • 822 Posts
    • 5,795 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    There were three scones left this morning.
    I have had two Mothers' Day cards. Both a variation of, 'I love you because you feed me'. It is the thought that counts, even if not the sentiment behind the thought.

Looks like it is going to be a lovely sunny day already.

So a morning on the sofa with Andrew Marr and Robert Peston and a lovely coffee mainlining politics, a lovely bath, a roast for lunch and baking this afternoon with football and Agents of Shield. In between these lovely things will be the last loads of laundry washed and on the line, all the other laundry folded (yawn), two smallest to do their homework (tears) and dunking them all in the bath.
    I think there may be PE kits to find.

Fretting about the Buildings Insurance, apparently if you need a new roof then the house is not in good repair, will have to ring people up and ask them. Job for Monday, will try not to think about it until then......
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 29th Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 5,795 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Evening All!

B&C Insurance all sorted. Went for the whistles and bells policy as it was 100 more expensive, but much much more cover and as we are doing big work this year, it might just pay for itself.

I was just putting a bakewell into the oven, when I heard the unmistakeable sound of feet hitting wheelie bin next door at the cannabis house. !!!!!!, I thought, then watched two men breaking in. Called the rozzers, who were totally useless, the Keystone Cops would have been more use. Anyway, the robbers were in the house for less than 5 minutes, came out clutching a black package and legged it. I assume it was the two 'gardeners' who had hidden a stash of something in the house, and came to retrieve it. Hopefully it is the last we will see of them, they came for what they wanted and left. Still no sign of the house owner though. He is in for a shock!

Little old lady in Northern Ireland is having problems with her carers, they keep cancelling her calls because she is a 25 minute drive from the main town, oops, sorry it is a city now, and the office does not seem to be very good at grouping calls which are near each other, or giving them to the carers who live nearby. Mind you, she is a total harridan. I will give it a week before expecting the phone call to say how ill she has been (she is making it up) and how weak she feels and how much good it will do her to be able to get up when she likes, and have long baths (she gets 15 minutes once a week) . It is all manipulation, and must be ignored or she only plays up even more. She takes to her bed at least once every visit with an imaginary illness where she couldn't possibly eat anything, but suddenly develops a healthy appetite when you suggest she stays in bed and only has liquids. Just call me Florence...

This month has been very hard, I paid the mortgage first, and felt like I have been playing catchup the whole month. It is Wednesday and I have 10 left until Friday payday. I have a house full of food, so no worries there, but I am hoping the petrol holds until Friday morning after dropping the kids at school. So keep your fingers crossed for me.

I got referred by the GP to a gym!! I thought they would just send me to Fatclub (weightwatchers) but they don't do that here. So in April I will go and be assessed and see how much I can lose in my 3 months unlimited gym and pool use for 60.
    So I had best get on with as many small jobs on the list before going away for Easter in anticipation of spending the mornings in the gym when the kids go back to school.

Booked the kids in for their dentists check ups (they are booking into June already!!)

Anyway, I am knackered after a very eventful night of midnight drain cleaning machines, a very tuneful drunk walking home, a 3am bathroom clean up after a child was too tired to aim, and after the burglars, every tiny noise woke me up, ready to fight.

Looking forward to April and all its challenges.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 2nd Apr 17, 2:15 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 5,795 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Feeling under the weather so I have only stripped two skirting boards this weekend. Cupboard inventory sorted and shopping list made.

One week to go until the 70's tour of Ireland. Dreading it.

There is no point painting when the kids are around, they just touch everything, even when told not to. So painting is reserved for Monday.
    Everything is put off until Monday really, as the bills go out on the 1st, but not if it is a weekend. So I am waiting for the bank to update the balance so I can make an overpayment.

Last month I tried the 'pay yourself first' method, and then tried to live on the rest, but an unexpectedly high garage bill, combined with kids needing new school shoes, combined with 120 for the kids' fares, meant I had to borrow money from the savings fund to make ends meet. But it does mean that there is nothing on the credit cards at all. And with a new car battery and brakes, the petrol seems to be going further. Bonus!

The mortgage is going to be (by my reckoning) 112,985.20 on Monday , minus the payment and my overpayment it will be roughly 112,250. So I want to try and make a bonus overpayment to bring it down to 111,999.99. Stupid I know, when you consider that there is another 180 interest before the next payment, so it is just going to pop back up over 111k, but these are the silly games I am playing inside my head. I dunno, the games I play, but I am so close to making it down to 110k which is the next goal, and then it will be making it towards 100k, and then double figures. But, and of course this is the big but, I need to start paying into the savings account too, as there are jobs in the house I have earmarked to have done this year and I can't afford to do both at the same time. I am also about 3 months away from running out of all the smaller, cheaper jobs that I can do myself. So, I am going to keep up with the regular 247 overpayment I have committed myself to, but also save hard to be able to pay someone to do the big jobs.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 4th Apr 17, 2:26 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 5,795 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Da-da-daaaaaaa! The amount on the monthly totalizer is

So.... two skirting boards are drying after coat #3 of white paint,
    they are in the kitchen at the minute, so I might get them back up to the top floor and attached to the wall today. That'll be fun !! Also been painting any door surround that is still dark brown. Soon they will all be gleaming white. But they all have to be dry before the kids get home from school or it gets messy, it seriously cuts down on my productivity, but cannot be helped.

Next job, more shelves, can you tell I am on a mission to get rid of my list?

I found a blind in a charity shop the right size for the small loo upstairs (5), ordered DS2 another blind after DS4 broke it by not knowing how blinds work (he was suitably upset about having done it so no further action taken). I have put a large mirror in the upstairs loo, which is bouncing light into a very shady room. Added bonus is that the light is coming through the glazed panel of the door, and is making the top of the landing brighter.

I am starting to feel that soon, I am going to be able to see an improvement. I know as soon as I get everywhere wallpapered, and new carpet down the hall, stairs, and landing, the whole place will look a million times better in a matter of a few days.

Over the Easter break, after the Ireland road trip, I plan to decorate my bedroom (the last bedroom to be done) and take down the shower cubicle that is unusable in the bathroom.

I have decided that lino ~ or cushion flooring or whatever is the current lingo is for flooring on a roll, is going to be the best, fastest, and cheapest option, in the bathroom. Then I will get quotes for a new shower and tiling, and hopefully not get another load of 6k quotes.

The big things that still need doing are......
    1 - Double or Triple glazing to the front of the house - for some reason the back has been done recently but the front is 1980s glazing and is draughty and you can hear every footstep on the pavement. It needs to be replaced.
    2 - Bathroom revamp and shower cubicle that can be used.
    3 - Carpet throughout from the top of the house to the bottom step of the stairs.
    4 - Roof - not currently a problem but on borrowed time, but will necessitate plastering on the ceilings (which might ruin the carpet!)

I am ignoring anything on the ground floor. Ground floor is for 2018, or when all the above is finished.

There, a plan of action, now to find out how much each is going to cost, and figure out how to pay for it all.
    Last edited by f0xh0les; 04-04-2017 at 2:29 PM.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 4th Apr 17, 4:16 PM
    • 11,977 Posts
    • 213,575 Thanks
    greenbee
    You're making HUGE progress. Do you want to come round and do some of mine?

I've finished upstairs, but need to nag the builders to come back and do downstairs - I'd like to finish it this year (ideally before I get to 4 years here), and it would be nice to have a kitchen in soon as I haven't had one for 3.5 years now.

Re. bathrooms - a friend was over at the weekend saying that the bathroom quotes meant that she couldn't afford to do anything like what she wanted (they were coming in at around 10k), so we went through and redid the design and came up with solutions to the problems the bathroom people had raised (they claimed loos/showers/baths/basins only came in certain sizes/shapes etc) by looking at my bathrooms and doing some measuring. We used the website my builder uses for bathroom fittings to price it, and she went away knowing she could do it for less than half what's been quoted (including labour) and is now going to buy the stuff herself and employ a plumber. Her husband can do tiling and flooring (vinyl) and she's also going to get him to make under-sink cabinets having seen the 'bespoke' ones I've had made out of waterproof MDF for a fraction of the price of the ones in bathroom catalogues.

I'm not crazy about carpet, so upstairs the floorboards have been sanded, colourwashed and varnished - I've done this in previous houses as well. The bedrooms have rugs on the floors, but the wood doesn't tend to get cold (and in this house, as all the floors have been taken up, I've had insulation put between the floorboards and the ceilings. The colourwash is a 25% dilution of the wall colours, so you can see the wood grain, and it reflects light into the rooms. It might be a good temporary option for you until the roof is done, and it's easy DIY.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Apr 17, 7:22 AM
    • 822 Posts
    • 5,795 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    It is so hard to work out how much money you have when 'people' (mortgage company) change your amounts without telling you. They have dropped the monthly payment by 5 because of my overpayments.
    If we want to put it back up, it will class as an overpayment. Might use it as a way of upping the DH payment to 500 (from 478, well, now 473), it looks tidier.
    I have introduced the idea of Tilly Tidying to DH )didn't use the name. He loves the idea! Saving without saving. Good old Tilly. Must get over to the O/S pages again soon. I have been neglecting them now we have a bit more money.
    Get right back to basics.

I am picking up some Nomorenails for skirting boards and a Streetlifed light fitting for 5 on the way back from the school run. 3 beds to be changed and laundered, and the house cleaned in readiness for leaving on Sunday, and the car hoovered and cleaned in preparation for the long drive to Ireland. That'll be fun. The kids are already getting excited about night boats and cabins.
    Oh well, they will remember it when they are older, and the rellies are all around the 70 yr old mark, so they won't last forever. Must remember to pack my nice screwdriver with me. Old lady has a list of jobs for me to do and a load for the tip and a load for the charity shop ready for me, and has arranged a dentist and optician appointment while we are there (4 days) so I will be kept busy. Hope for sunshine and be glad of a nice park and a pool with waterslides for the kids.

So, I think that the daily interest is now 5.96.

Great ideas on the bathroom Greenbee, which website do you use for pricing things? I wish you could just do a Rumplestiltskin style scenario with bathroom fitters, you lock them in a room overnight with all the things they need to do the job, and when you get up in the morning, you have a room full of spun gold..... or you chop off their head.
    Sounds a bit drastic now I have typed it though.... might need a rethink.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 6th Apr 17, 11:02 AM
    • 11,977 Posts
    • 213,575 Thanks
    greenbee
    Have PM'd you some links.

I had to tell my building society that I wanted the overpayments to reduce the term rather than the payment - the normal approach was to readjust payments but I think they're starting to realise people want to pay off early. So talk to them about it, otherwise you'll end up with the payment reduced so much that your normal payments will get you to your OP limit!

If you're bored, feel free to come and help me put up my fence...
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Apr 17, 12:04 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 5,795 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    The stupid mortgage people made us take out a 26 1/2 year mortgage based on affordability (totally ridiculous). I have asked them to take 500 a month as the repayment and I will add to the overpayments whenever there is anything left - and it is a sneaky way to get OH to join in with the overpaying. An extra 25 a month is not major, but it is 4 days interest I don't have to find.

We can overpay up to 10% of the total borrowed in a year, and there is no way I am going to be able to overpay nearly 12k a year. As I am looking to jump ship in 10 months when the fixed rate ends, and we are only looking at staying in the area for another 3 or 4 years, dropping the term doesn't really make any sense to us. We won't be here anyway, it is just a tart it up while living here and sell it on when a job appears somewhere else that tickles DH's fancy..

Annoyances for the day. Went off and got the gluey stuff, took the two x 13 feet long skirting boards up two flights of stairs and five sets of 90 degree bends, was just about to sticky them up when I thought, oh.. I will just check they still fit (like they were going to have shrunk or something, and guess what!!
    The skirting boards sit about 1cm higher than the plug sockets.

Arrrrggghhhhh!!

Even when taking the carpet into consideration, there is no way the plug sockets were put in an inch above the skirting boards. Have I mentioned AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!! ?

So, I am going to have to take a cm off the bottom of the sodding skirting board so it fits under the sodding plug sodding socket. Why is it never easy???? Why did the electrician not do what I asked in the first place???
    Why... why..... why..... Delilah!

Ok, the locking tradesmen in a room overnight (and lopping off bits if they have not done what you asked for by morning) no longer sounds too harsh. Does still sound like a Fairy Tale though.

Off to put up some more shelves. At least I can do that.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 6th Apr 17, 12:36 PM
    • 11,977 Posts
    • 213,575 Thanks
    greenbee
    I'm with you on the trades people... my builder has gone awol again... he's still due to replace a dud tap and fix a window that he dropped last year. And I need a quote for getting downstairs done which I expected to get two weeks ago. I may have to go and find someone else to quote for it if I don't hear anything soon.

I don't know why they would have put your sockets down too low. The standard now is to have them fairly high (annoyingly so in my opinion... but then there's flood risk here, so it makes sense in some ways), so too low is unusual. Can you make them come back and redo it, or do you never want to see them again?

I have a landscape gardener coming round after work today as I've had to face up to the fact that I can't work full time and get it all done. So hopefully I'll see progress there this year. Some of it has to wait until the builders have finished though.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Apr 17, 7:49 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 5,795 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    I don't know why they would have put your sockets down too low. The standard now is to have them fairly high (annoyingly so in my opinion... but then there's flood risk here, so it makes sense in some ways), so too low is unusual. Can you make them come back and redo it, or do you never want to see them again? .
    Originally posted by greenbee

They wanted to put them all at waist height, which would have looked odd, so I told them an inch off the skirting boards, that way they can be hidden behind sofas, bedside wires don't get pulled, all that jazz, then one of the idiots took a couple of skirting boards off when they were rewiring and they must have just guessed. Mind you I also have one in the living room which is too close to the skirting board to get one of those longer computer adaptor plugs in.

No jokes about men and inches please.

They were probably thinking they were saving me money on replastering if they put them closer to the skirting board (that was me trying to be charitable) , but more likely they could not be bothered to chase the recesses in. I dunno. I just don't understand how they can do things so badly, and then whine about how much work they have on.

They were worse than kids. Bunking off as soon as anyone's back was turned and whining when they were made to do any work. It was embarrassing.

I just have not found 'my' workmen yet.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Apr 17, 8:51 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 5,795 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    So, as my plans for world domination, oops, sorry, I meant skirting boards, my plans for skirting boards were scuppered, I put up two shelves in DS2s bedroom and put up the new blind instead. His third blind in 12 months.
    Hopefully they have all now figured out how to use blinds and what NOT to do to them, i.e not to yank as hard as you can!!

Had a bit of a baking session and made bottom-of-the-fridge stew, trying to run down the fresh stuff before our little trip. Keeping all the spends very low as I am using stuff up rather than buying stuff in.

I still have to buy my M-i-L a birthday present, will have to have a think about that sharpish...
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 19th Apr 17, 10:41 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 5,795 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Back from Ireland and back in sunny Leicestershire.
    I can see with fresh eyes what needs to be done in the house, which is great, but also terrifying.

As it was sunny and lovely here today, I put the two skirts back in the yard, chopped off the first bump of the planks and gave them another three coats of white so they are ready to go back on the wall under the plug sockets.

Got another 5 amaz0n voucher from a survey thing I did, and have had rather a lot of Y0ug0v surveys lately so up to 39.00. Annoyingly a cashback claim has been unsuccessful so that is 25 lost that I never had. Very frustrating, but car insurance is notoriously hard to actually get the cashback from.

DH is off camping with his friends from Friday - Monday, which will give me the space and time to get some more stuff cleared and either put, or thrown, away. He thinks he is an Elf, or a Dwarf or something. Hope it is not too muddy or I will end up with a massive tent drying in the back room for weeks on end (last time I gave in after 5 weeks of waiting for him to put it away).

In further news ......The Cannabis house - next door - someone put the bin out this week, so there is someone back in there, although there does not seem to be any sign of life. Hopefully the owner has been around the place, but as we were not here, we have not met yet.

I have made a few sneaky mortgage overpayments this month- a couple of under 5 tidies and as I managed to spend very little while we were away - I still have 50 of planned holiday budget spends in my purse, even after doing this week's food shop, the bank balance is looking quite healthy so I may be able to pay a bit more off . I still have a couple of money off vouchers for both Mr M and Mr T for a 20 spend and Mr M chucked my 5 voucher at me yesterday so I have that to spend on fripperies, probably for lunchboxes next week.

Went through the kids homework bags yesterday, and found a request for 7.50 for a visit to the local Botanical Gardens (a free place we go often) which is less than 3 miles from school. 60 kids at 7.50 each is 450!!! Of course I will pay it, I am probably subsidising someone else, which I don't mind, if they can't afford it, but I know the school gets extra funding for people eligable for 'free school meals' . If only the parents did not talk about how much they were planning to drink at the weekend and arrange on the playground the route of their pub crawls. Now I sound judgemental, but it is their choice of how they spend their money and in what order I have a problem with, and their choice to get plastered on a Friday and Saturday leads to their complaining on a Tuesday they have no money left. It is not what tax credits/child benefit was intended for. Anyway, rant over.
    Their choices, their budget, their kids.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 20th Apr 17, 7:35 AM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 6,602 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Great work on the surveys especially Yougov! Almost at that magic payout number

Totally understand your frustrations re people's budgets and priorities, I have many thoughts on the subject but try to remind myself that it's not my personal funds and I wouldn't want someone telling me how to spend my cash, but still!!
    Emergency savings- 3005. /4000
    Mortgage Oct '16- 170.995 LTV- 90% end date Nov 2041
    2016 OPs 255.50/150
    2017 MFW #20 - OP 1369.78/ 2150. 63.7%
    Jan- 68.21, Feb- 306.67, March- 272.01 April-324.05 May 120.33 June 278.51
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 29th Apr 17, 5:50 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 2,421 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Hi Foxholes,

I have been reading your diary and wanted to congratulate you on the amount of both DIY your have completed and your mortgage OP's!

I am going to be a bit cheeky and ask whether you could recommend any good vegan baking sites/recipe sources at all? I am not vegan myself, but would like to expand my baking skills - and frankly your creations sound lovely!
    Target 1 - Emergency Fund Currently 1300.36/3000

Target 2 - Op Mortgage by 4000 by 31/12/2017 Currently 905.72/4000
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 29th Apr 17, 8:54 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 5,795 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Have a google of Isa Chandra Moskowitz, she is the goddess of vegan cooking.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 29th Apr 17, 9:14 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 5,795 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Wrote a huge tome, and lost it, !!!!!!.

So, the mortgage should be down to 111,600 at some point after Monday's bank holiday, whenever the stupid mortgage company get round to taking the payment.

Nearly lost DH for the next 5 weeks - he was asked to stand in the election, but was able to decline as two other candidates came forward. He has stood before, but the travelling around doing hustings after a full day of work, and weekends, and driving 90 minutes each way took their toll. I am not sorry he isn't standing. There will be other times for him, and he would only go and get elected or something. Honestly, you can't leave him alone for a minute.

I have joined the gym under the heath referral scheme and am rather loving it. It makes a change from stripping wallpaper. I went a bit stripper-happy last weekend - DH was away with his friends - so my bedroom is half stripped, the upstairs loo is totally stripped and one wall in the kitchen is stripped down to the paint, which is patchy and I am having to scrape it off and it is taking AGES! Oh, and I was so sick of the dead muppet carpet tiles on the kitchen floor (yeah I know, WTF?? in a kitchen??? seriously?? ) I have taken half of them up - the reason for only half is that the tape holding them down is so horribly strong it takes off a couple of layers of skin if it sticks to you and I can only do 6 -8 tiles before having to stop for a few days and let my hands recover.

So the house is in total chaos but at least I am getting stuff done, in between the body pump class, the LBT class, the Aquafit class and the gym sessions.
    Annoyingly I have put on 2lbs. My poor body is obviously in shock, it has only been 6 days and I am certain that soon I will be able to see a difference. That is if the aching muscles are anything to go by. The scales are going to go down !! I just need to have a look at what I am eating. Small changes can make a huge difference.

Anyway, due to being in Ireland I have 3 weeks of Agents of Shield to catch up on before tomorrow... see you later.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 29th Apr 17, 11:09 PM
    • 6,537 Posts
    • 46,340 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Well done once the gym f0xh0les, don't forget, muscle weighs more than fat so depending on what you do, you may well see those scales go up...I used to check inches...before my added muscle also made my back / shoulders expand, as did running with my thighs...now I've given up both weights ans measures
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 30th Apr 17, 6:51 AM
    • 547 Posts
    • 2,421 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Thanks for the recipe info and well done on the gym and DIY!
    Target 1 - Emergency Fund Currently 1300.36/3000

Target 2 - Op Mortgage by 4000 by 31/12/2017 Currently 905.72/4000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

662Posts Today

5,074Users online

Martin's Twitter