Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nickventure1973
    • By nickventure1973 10th Aug 16, 2:48 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 0Thanks
    nickventure1973
    Virgin Media Late Payment Charges
    • 10th Aug 16, 2:48 PM
    Virgin Media Late Payment Charges 10th Aug 16 at 2:48 PM
    I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but I wondered if anybody had successfully claimed back late payment charges from Virgin Media?

I always pay Virgin Media within the month, however I am self employed and sometimes find when I receive money from my customers can be a bit random, so the date I pay them might not be the same date every month. As I won't set up a Direct Debit with Virgin Media they will not let me change my repayment date. I have been told that I can set up a Direct Debit, and then cancel it to get the repayment date moved. But they tell me I would need to cover the current months bill and the previous months bill at the same time. I cannot afford to do this, so this leaves me in constant limbo receiving an unfair late payment charge each month. If I could move the payment date then it wouldn't be an issue and they would easily be paid before the bill date. I don't trust Direct Debits unless they are something that I am 100% sure will remain the same throughout. I have had problems from virgin Media in the past where they have taken incorrect amounts out of my bank account, also I have had this from Scottish Power. So I refuse to set up a Direct Debit with most companies for legitimate reasons.
    Last edited by nickventure1973; 10-08-2016 at 2:51 PM. Reason: worded incorrectly
Page 3
    • photome
    • By photome 11th Aug 16, 6:21 AM
    • 12,836 Posts
    • 8,306 Thanks
    photome
    You say you need to change payment date, if your finances were all good then you would be able to put enough aside from the previous months income to pay on time, its a valid statement, as for your question You have no recourse at all to reclaim late payment charges you are consistently late

Originally posted by glentoran99
    glentoran99 I'm not even going to bother answering your first comment as clearly you have not read things properly again. Valid point, but not correct.
    Originally posted by nickventure1973
    glentoran posts a perfect solution and answers the question.

OP chooses to ignore, maybe theres the problem
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Aug 16, 8:47 AM
    • 18,764 Posts
    • 14,470 Thanks
    agrinnall
    He says he is reliant on 200mb Broadband because he works from home, but the amount he pays each month suggests he is using a Residential Contract rather than a Business one. This is obviously against Virgin's terms and conditions.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Ah, but in one of the posts you probably (sensibly) skipped over he says that it's mainly for home use with "a bit of work" - although that then begs the question of why the 200mbps connection is so vital if it's not required all the time. And to be honest I doubt if there is any home worker who absolutely needs such a high speed, and if they did they should be paying for something more guaranteed than a domestic connection (my Virgin connection quite often disappears for an hour or two while they are working on the cabinet or at the exchange).
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Aug 16, 9:16 AM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I doubt if there is any home worker who absolutely needs such a high speed, and if they did they should be paying for something more guaranteed than a domestic connection
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Exactly.
    ....and Virgin would say the same (if they were made aware that the OP "needs" 200mpbs for "a bit of work")

PS Yes, I did skip the OP's latter posts
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 11th Aug 16, 9:39 AM
    • 2,371 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    donnac2558
    I too stopped reading after the OPs rudeness.

Personally I hope he does try to take Virginmedia to court.

One he will come out looking a total idiot

Two he will be caught using his home boardband for business.
    • Cycrow
    • By Cycrow 11th Aug 16, 9:43 AM
    • 2,601 Posts
    • 1,474 Thanks
    Cycrow
    And to be honest I doubt if there is any home worker who absolutely needs such a high speed
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    It depends what work you do. When i worked from home it was important for me to have a fast connection, as i had to download (and upload) large amounts of data. The longer i had to wait the less work i could do.

it wasn't absolutely vital, but it would slow me down alot
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Aug 16, 9:55 AM
    • 30,425 Posts
    • 19,232 Thanks
    DCFC79
    The 50 mb broadband only package from Virgin Media is £33 a month. Can't you find some way of always having £33 available on one day a month?
    Originally posted by Thunderbird4
    I agree with this, you need to have x amount always in your account to pay the bill, what would you do Nick when some customers do pay you late.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • JB162
    • By JB162 11th Aug 16, 2:11 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    JB162
    Not only that my main question was 'I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but I wondered if anybody had successfully claimed back late payment charges from Virgin Media?'
    Originally posted by nickventure1973
    My friend currently works for Virgin Media Customer Services and is currently stressed out with credit and late charges.

The short and simple answer is no!

Virgin Media Customer Service Director issued all staff with a under no circumstances are they allowed to give back a late fee. That was 4 weeks ago. Now staff are getting disciplined for returning them.

It's actually that bad!
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 11th Aug 16, 4:27 PM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    I said to myself I wouldn't follow this thread as the OP has been given advice and isn't following it. I clicked on it by mistake. I won't again.
    • dacerace
    • By dacerace 10th Oct 17, 9:20 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    dacerace
    I have read this post with some interest..as I have suffered the late payment charges since I had my wages changed to monthly.However,rightly or wrongly, a couple of things stick in my throat abit why people say things like I cannot understand why you cannot put the set amount aside etc...but the main bug bear is people questioning a choice not to pay by DD.The reason I don't pay by DD is that it can vary the bill.I once ordered a modem etc that was free..and had my bank account cleared of my weeks wages.I contacted them..and after being spoken to rudely,and passed from pillar to post..It was agreed I was wrongly charged.Such,relief,I thought..no,it took weeks to get my money back
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,148Posts Today

5,752Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin